Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 01:42:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Request: search function in the addresses windows  (Read 362 times)
cellard (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 04:37:16 PM

With all the hacking of accounts going on in the forum in the past few days, I've been learning about the signature and verification of messages through bitcoin addresses. It's pretty easy and straightforward, but I realized that in order to recover the account, you need to search through your endless amounts of receiving addresses to find an address that will fit the criteria for address recovery (an unedited post, a quoted post, or a closed thread that contains your address before the hack). If you only have one wallet in your entire history on bitcoin it should be there, but if you use different wallet files (now a growing trend due the forks) you need to search through the wallet addresses and it's annoying.

It could be so much easier if we could have a simple search bar to copy and paste the address there and automatically find it. Since one tends to create one address for each transaction, the receiving address window has an huge list. I know you can just export the file and search there and you could list all in the command console and use ctrl+f, but it would be cooler if we could do this in the GUI and save time.

Maybe make it possible to search Label column too in case you know you want to find your "Blog address" but don't know what address you used for that.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6635

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2017, 06:31:36 PM

What you want to know is whether you have the address in your wallet. I'm not sure that a search function is necessarily the way to go, you don't want to search for it since you already have it, you just want to know if it is in your wallet. You can do that right now using the debug console with the validateaddress command. Just do validateaddress <address> and in the output you will see something that says ismine. If the address is yours and you have the private key, that field will say true.

cellard (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 05:17:40 PM

What you want to know is whether you have the address in your wallet. I'm not sure that a search function is necessarily the way to go, you don't want to search for it since you already have it, you just want to know if it is in your wallet. You can do that right now using the debug console with the validateaddress command. Just do validateaddress <address> and in the output you will see something that says ismine. If the address is yours and you have the private key, that field will say true.

Yeah, like I said im aware that you can do these things with the console command, you can pretty much do anything with cvars, but how can we get more people to use Bitcoin Core if we don't make the GUI better? most people are too scared to use debug consoles. If we want to establish a culture where everyone runs a node, we need to make the GUI as user friendly as possible.

Also, what I think would make everyone run a node is if we somehow managed to not need to download the entire blockchain at first boot to run pruned mode. Sure having the full blockchain is better, but if we could get the people that use Electrum to download 1 GB to run bitcoin core, the node count would skyrocket. Too bad this seems somehow impossible at least for now. Maybe in the future some genius comes up with a way to do it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: