Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 02:56:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: StableCoin  (Read 8924 times)
BubbleBoy

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 10:06:41 PM

I don't mean stable against the dollar, I mean stable in itself, as if StableCoin was the national currency of StableCountry.

The only way economists know how to that is by watching a certain basket of goods, compute the CPI and control the monetary variables to that effect. It's simply absurd to think a distributed currency could compute a distributed version of the CPI. And there's no way to design the currency to be intrinsically stable, because the value of money is entirely driven by external factors. You cannot preordain that enough currency be made available to cover rapid demand rise due to sudden media exposure, the only way to absorb that shock is to have a central bank with enough currency reserves make the market. This is exactly what small countries do, sometimes holding a 1:1 foreign reserve vs outstanding currency at the target rate.

A more practical goal than a distributed CPI is to simply target a long term value of the fiat exchange rate. Since fiat currencies already have their CPI and are certainly more stable than bitcoin, we need to somehow incorporate that information into the blockchain and act on it. If you don't trust the USD inflation, you can target a lower rate, say by 1-2%. So in the first year the rate is 1USD, in the fifth year the rate is 1.1USD etc. (a high rate could potentially open a whole can of deflationary worms but if don't believe in the CPI you probably don't fear deflation either).

If, due to such a mechanism, the market believes the long term rate of 1 stablecoin follows 1 USD, then the exchange rate would self stabilize in the efficient market hypothesis. Traders know that a 1.05 rate is a good price during a demand shock, and will dump their inventory supplanting the role of the central bank. A few percent swings of the exchange rate per month is enough for them to make a healthy yearly profit and convince them to hold cryptocurrency inventory or contribute "foreign reserves" during lows and buy the cryptocurrency at what they can ascertain is a cheap rate.

I think Impaler might be onto something in regards to exchange rate discovery using some internal tradeable commodity, but I can't quite put my finger on it. As I've said previously, blockchain transaction rate, "coin days destroyed" or other such folly are not good signals because they can be controlled by speculators. A direct way to incorporate the price information is to use a vote and I tend to believe all other schemes can be reduced to this - it they form a majority users would just fork the chain and modify the inflation rate algorithm.

i have a theory, and i know that im going to be attacked for this, that bitcoin is so volatile in part because its deflationary. Basically the mentality goes something like this. I should buy bitcoin because its deflationary so if it becomes widely adopted it should increase in value forever. Of course if this was the case everyone should just buy bitcoins and never work again. but then bitcoin wouldn't ever buy anything if that happened since nothing would be produced to be bought. So it both makes sense for the individual to buy bitcoins and horde them forever but it doesnt make sense for society as a group to do this. The net result of this is a series of speculative booms as everyone realizes they need to get on the train to infinity, but crashes when they becomes obviously over valued.

This should be beyond questioning in a thread dedicate to achieving stable prices. The deflationary design is bad, and the "store of wealth" promise of bitcoin is attracting speculators. This is the main problem causing volatility in bitcoin, people wanting to strike it big by simply holding currency. Since this is a self defeating prophecy (if people hold it, it cannot circulate, thus cannot fulfill the promise) a positive feedback loop is formed and the price will tend to move randomly as the rational market tries to guess it's next move.

I believe simply applying Friedman's k% rule (increase the money supply by say 4% each year) is probably enough to stabilize long term prices. But in the short run you still have a possible deflation during initial adoption, when the economy is growing much faster than 4% a year. That's why I think some way to discover the exchange rate and set expansion using it is key for initial stability.

Disclaimer: I'm not an economist, but I am a convincing M2 near-economist.

████
              ▄▄████▄▄
          ▄▄████████████▄▄
       ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄
     ▄████▀▀            ▀▀████▄
   ▄████▀                  ▀████▄
  ▐███▀                      ▀███▌
 ▐███▀   ████▄  ████  ▄████   ▀███▌
 ████    █████▄ ████ ▄█████    ████
▐███▌    ██████▄████▄██████    ▐███▌
████     ██████████████████     ████
████     ████ ████████ ████     ████
████     ████  ██████  ████     ████
▐███▌    ████   ████   ████    ▐███▌
 ████    ████   ████   ████    ████
 ▐███▄   ████   ████   ████   ▄███▌
  ▐███▄                      ▄███▌
   ▀████▄                  ▄████▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
          ▀▀████████████▀▀
              ▀▀████▀▀
                ████
MIDEX
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂ GET TOKENS ▂▂▂▂
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
BLOCKCHAIN BASED FINANCIAL PLATFORM                                # WEB ANN + Bounty <
with Licensed Exchange approved by Swiss Bankers and Lawyers           > Telegram Facebook Twitter Blog #

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Etlase2

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 10:55:59 PM

A more practical goal than a distributed CPI is to simply target a long term value of the fiat exchange rate. Since fiat currencies already have their CPI and are certainly more stable than bitcoin, we need to somehow incorporate that information into the blockchain and act on it. If you don't trust the USD inflation, you can target a lower rate, say by 1-2%. So in the first year the rate is 1USD, in the fifth year the rate is 1.1USD etc. (a high rate could potentially open a whole can of deflationary worms but if don't believe in the CPI you probably don't fear deflation either).

Instead of targeting a long term fiat exchange rate or something as arbitrary as CPI, why not create your own target based on hardware costs, electricity, and time and foster competition among miners to keep this target honest. "But it can't be done!" Well I wager it can.

BubbleBoy

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:12:26 PM
Last edit: April 17, 2013, 11:22:33 PM by BubbleBoy

I think we talked about this two years ago. You can target the hash rate easily using only internal information. Unfortunately that's very unstable do to Moore's law etc. To target the electricity cost you need external information (no algorithm can find out the energy consumed by the computer who is running it, let alone it's cost). At that point it's better to target a major world currency directly, since electricity prices are quite volatile too.

Also, I hope you are not proposing the currency of Mordor scenario where each coin requires it's value in resources to be destroyed. That's worse than Bitcoin, where at least the energy waste drops after a few decades when coin production slows.

The notion of CPI is not arbitrary, it's by definition the index that you look at to judge the stability of StableCoin. You might not like the US government's CPI and it's implementation in US monetary policy, that's quite another issue. But the CPI of StableCoin, the amount of real life stuff you can buy with a coin, determines it's inflation by definition.

████
              ▄▄████▄▄
          ▄▄████████████▄▄
       ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄
       ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
          ▀▀████████████▀▀
              ▀▀████▀▀
                ████
MIDEX
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
BLOCKCHAIN BASED FINANCIAL PLATFORM                                # WEB ANN + Bounty <
with Licensed Exchange approved by Swiss Bankers and Lawyers           > Telegram Facebook Twitter Blog #
Etlase2

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:25:58 PM
Last edit: April 18, 2013, 12:06:15 AM by Etlase2

Unfortunately that's very unstable do to Moore's law etc.

Moore's law, by golly, I totally forgot about that.

To target the electricity cost you need external information (no algorithm can find out the energy consumed by the computer who is running it, let alone it's cost).

Luckily I haven't proposed an algorithm that attempts to find out the energy consumed or its cost.

Also, I hope you are not proposing the currency of Mordor scenario where each coin requires it's value in resources to be destroyed. That's worse than Bitcoin, where at least the energy waste drops after a few decades when coin production slows.

Bitcoin's coin production is replaced by transaction fees. Transaction fees are essentially coins that are mined again. Admittedly my early designs followed the currency of Mordor scenario (edit: to a much lesser degree than what you described in the link--too long to explain), but that is nowhere near the case in the Decrits proposal.

I apologize for the sarcasm, but I've spent a lot time trying to convince people that there is an outside-the-box way to accomplish this, but I still always hear the same "problems" that the outside-the-box thinking is directly addressing. I might actually just be a lot further along than you give me credit for.

The notion of CPI is not arbitrary, it's by definition the index that you look at to judge the stability of StableCoin. You might not like the US government's CPI and it's implementation in US monetary policy, that's quite another issue. But the CPI of StableCoin, the amount of real life stuff you can buy with a coin, determines it's inflation by definition.

I don't know why because your meaning was fairly obvious, but I was thinking of the actual CPI when I said arbitrary. "If a loaf of bread costs 1 DCR in 2012, then a loaf of broad will cost 1 DCR in 2050, assuming the production costs of bread and money have not changed." This idea has been my cornerstone.

Impaler

Activity: 826

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 01:11:48 AM

BB:  The main problem I see with targeting Fiat is that the Fiat/coin exchange rate or CPI rate is a piece of outside information the block-chain and must be 'Injected', but WHO INJECTS IT?  We might have complete trust in government generated statistics like CPI but they just publish a number in dead-tree format.  To get that data into the block-chain you need injection and some means to validate that injection, some authority figure that is authorized to do the injection.  What ever authority inputs the information now has complete control over it, they can inject anything they want and the connection to the 'official' number is lost.

An internal futures-market solution alleviates the injection problem by making it distributed to ALL coin holders AND most importantly it requires skin-in-the-game, only with coins on the line can we expect honest inputs values that reflect changes in valuation.

As I try to figure out this future-market I repeatedly find it harder to reward a deflation prediction then an inflation prediction.  Because the deflation predictor really would be best off by just hoarding their money (ware as the inflation predictor is potentially attracted to the market because they believe their current wealth will erode).  Demurrage that is predictable though could potentially bring the deflation predictor in but only if their expected deflation rate is LESS then the demurrage rate.  In Freicoin we implemented a rate of 5% a year that's dose not vary.

One possible solution I though of last night would be to have the inflation and deflation predictors take turns paying each others demurrage.  Both sides put of an equal amount of coins to be subject to the effect.  The deflation predictor would pay for both first, then the inflation predictor would pay for both later.  The total demurrage collected would remain the same but each side has the potential to benefit if they are right.  The bidding process is done with time ware the periods the two pay for can vary to reflect a differing strength of their predictions.

Their is a weakness though, each side would need to have a great deal of money 'frozen' to pay the demurrage and possibly all of it, and this is contrary to the point of demurrage which is to pay for the liquidity of money, frozen money isn't liquid so it would be unfair to both sides.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
Etlase2

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 01:19:22 AM

It's nice to see some new voices speaking about Freicoin, but demurrage, like deflation, is a concept that only works without competition.

Red

Activity: 210
Merit: 111

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 01:52:19 AM

It's nice to see some new voices speaking about Freicoin, but demurrage, like deflation, is a concept that only works without competition.

Thumbs up on all the new voices and the well thought out posts.
But let's try not to get too defensive at the moment.

I was pretty convinced it was impossible to map coins directly to electrical consumption, Etlase2 convinced me it was. (It took 2 weeks)
Currently I don't think demurrage is ever necessary for monetary policy, 2 weeks might teach me otherwise. Some proposals use competitive mining others use non-competitive mining. Some proposals don't use mining at all. Some use a block list, others don't. Some use algorithms to adjust monetary policy, others require human speculators to watch external variables.

I think its worth canvasing all the different ideas before we try to get too assertive about why each particular plan is impossible. I'm pretty confident the actual workable solution will steal ideas from several people.
Etlase2

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 02:06:09 AM

I spent a lot of time debating with jtimon about freicoin before it was released. I read a lot of Giselle's stuff during that time, and his candid way of writing made it easy to fall for the allure of demurrage. But, imnhso, it attempts to fix problems that are too narrow in scope. And borrowing heavily from bitcoin, Freicoin is still set up as a commodity, but now a commodity that no one wants to keep.

Red

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 03:42:28 AM

I'm going to comment in detail on BubbleBoy's posts (Very Impressive!) but Impaler got me thinking about futures markets yesterday. I want to write down a few ill formed ideas before they start to slip away.

----------

Starting in the future and working backwards, presume that we have a functioning stable coin. Further presume that its monetary policy (coin creation & destruction) is guided by speculating futures traders trying to maximize their personal profit. So what might that mean?

In traditional futures markets, speculators look at the share price today and guess what the future price will be. Then they purchase the OPTION to buy or sell a certain number of shares before a certain time. Buying options always requires cash out of pocket. (skin in the game) but the amount is always less than the cost of the shares specified in the option contract.

So an option to [buy 100 shares at $10/share before May 1st] it might cost you only $20.

The point is that if the share price goes above $10 anytime before May 1st, then the option holder can purchase the shares for $1,000 and immediately sell them for their market price netting the difference. If the shares never break $10, the options expire and the purchaser is out the $20 option cost. It's a fancy way to gamble a little money on the chance to win a lot of money.

----

Purchasing options on stable coins are similar, but with a slightly different twist. Everyone knows what the future price will be!

Since we are presuming our medium term monetary policy is correct, the future price should always be the target price. Along the way to the future the coin value may diverge temporarily (above or below) the target prices. But the goal of our system is that it always converges back to the target.

To me this speculating scenario seems analogous...

Today the stable coin prices is at the ($10) target value <-- just for analogy sake
Our speculator thinks demand for coins will rise in the near term which will tend to drive up the price above target.
So for (2 coins) he purchases an option to buy (100 coins) at the target price ($10) within the next (10 days/1440 blocks).
If he's right and demand does drive the price above the ($10) target, then he:
1. Exercises the option by paying $1000
2. Receives his 100 coins.
3. IMMEDIATELY races to liquidate the coins on the exchange for (>$10) before the price falls back to the target ($10).
4. The buying speculator profits in DOLLARS or loses in COINS
5. He must wait for the price to return to target, before converting dollars back to coins otherwise his profits will evaporate.

To make this work, someone has to take the opposite side of the option. In other words, the option seller is gambling that the coin price WILL NOT go above target for the length of the option. Or if it does, it will not go far enough above target to net more than the option cost. So to be an option seller a speculator has to:
1. Set an option price (X) to sell (Y) of his coins @ the target price within the next (Z) days/blocks.
2. Finding an option purchaser earns the seller the option price (X)
3. It also OBLIGATES the seller to:
   a. NOT SELL his (Y) coins to anyone else before the option expires. (These coins are otherwise hoarded/locked)
   b. SELL his (Y) coins to the option holder at target if the option holder exercises the option.
4. The selling speculator earns COINS for selling the option. Receives DOLLARS for selling his coins.
5. He must wait for the price to return to target, before converting dollars back to coins otherwise he will incur losses.

----------
Yes this seems crazy complicated to implement. But that is not my question. My question is:

Huh Can this process be done WITHOUT directly referencing an exchange and WITHOUT transferring fiat between parties? Huh

For example, instead of "receiving DOLLARS," the option seller might receive coins back only after the price returned to target.
Or for example, you might get a similar effect by changing the option definition to:
"$20 buys a 10 day LOCK against you selling 100 of your coins. This allows me time to sell my coins instead."

All I want is brain storming. The whole construct might be a non starter.
If it starts to seem promising, there are lots more questions to answer. Like, "Does this attenuate the oscillations in the near term?" and "Does this give us additional data we can use to set coin generation/destruction rules for the medium term?"
Etlase2

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 04:09:48 AM

Red, why such the heavy focus on stabilizing a cryptocurrency against a fiat currency? Do you think the alternatives will still be too unstable? What do you think about a system that forces you to leak information about your profitability if you want to be profitable, and using that as a basis for stability?

Red

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:18:33 AM

Red, why such the heavy focus on stabilizing a cryptocurrency against a fiat currency? Do you think the alternatives will still be too unstable?

Philosophically, I'm not trying to stabilize against fiat currency. I want to be able to always drive a coins value toward any particular stable target value. In the best case that means the coin's target value tomorrow equals its value yesterday and the day before and the day before.

My best definition of StableCoin means my salary this week buys the same number of StableCoins as my salary last week and it will buy the same next week. (Given I don't get a raise) That lets me price my work effort in StableCoins. It lets me agree to a year long lease priced in StableCoins. It lets me put products priced in StableCoins on LayAway. Or even take out a loan in StableCoins, for a car priced in StableCoins, with interest bearing monthly payments in StableCoins. Try pricing, leasing, LayAway, or lending with goods/services priced in VolitileCoins. It is simply infeasible to draft/agree to contracts.

Practically, when writing examples, I don't know how to convey meaning without saying what I'm measuring against. Above target and below target start to get vague without real numbers to show how examples play out. Also saying 1 loaf of bread, 0.2 loaves of bread, "higher than the price of a basket of goods yesterday" starts to get tedious. Formula get much more concrete when I pick example numbers. $1 is the easiest thing for me to type. My keyboard doesn't have any other currency, goods or services symbols.

However, the whole point of my prior post was to see if the process can happen WITHOUT reference to external markets or fiat currency. I don't know if it can. I do know it can happen WITH those references. Hence my example.

Personally, however, I'm becoming intrigued with the idea of creating multiple StableCoins and pegging them to existing fiat currencies. (i.e. DollarCoin, EuroCoin, SterlingCoin, YenCoin, RupleCoin, RenminbiCoin, etc)

Why?
1. People "get" their native currency. It is easy for them to use on a day by day bases for pricing and contracts.
2. Anonymity. All I really want is Anonymous Cash that works over the internet. Is that too much to ask?
3. Fluidity. I want to be able to anonymously move value among currencies as it suits me. It's trivial to create an anonymous currency exchange mechanism when both sides of the exchange are digital coins. This lets me anonymously speculate in BitCoins (Ha Ha). Or lets me "logically" (and privately) move my money to China, Europe, England or whichever currency seems more stable than the Dollar. It also lets me trivially repatriate my money as I need it for day to day local spending.

I think any StableCoin would obviate the need for BitCoin. However, I think it will be MUCH easier to get widespread adoption if people are using something that seems like their local currency. While one unified StableCoin for the world seems simplest to promote, I don't actually believe it is very usable in practice.

Say StableCoin was actually perfectly stable in practice. But We all presume that no other fiat currency is really perfectly stable along with it. That makes it DIFFICULT to write contracts in StableCoins in EVERY country. Because everybody's weekly salary buys a different number of StableCoins each week. It all depends on the whims of their respective Governments. This also leads to constant repricing of every day to day item that people are used to buying. Sure, since your salary is being repriced along with it everything is relative. But who is going to constantly do the math to make sure everything is repriced correctly. All of this extra work and frustration for day to day transactions would just make StableCoin look DEFECTIVE to the casual currency user.

What do you think about a system that forces you to leak information about your profitability if you want to be profitable, and using that as a basis for stability?

I'm beginning to thing this is actually mandatory. But I'd love to hear your thought on this.
Etlase2

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 06:43:48 AM

Say StableCoin was actually perfectly stable in practice. But We all presume that no other fiat currency is really perfectly stable along with it. That makes it DIFFICULT to write contracts in StableCoins in EVERY country. Because everybody's weekly salary buys a different number of StableCoins each week. It all depends on the whims of their respective Governments. This also leads to constant repricing of every day to day item that people are used to buying. Sure, since your salary is being repriced along with it everything is relative. But who is going to constantly do the math to make sure everything is repriced correctly. All of this extra work and frustration for day to day transactions would just make StableCoin look DEFECTIVE to the casual currency user.

I think you need to think about StableCoin as being a replacement currency rather than a complementary one. Think bigger and these problems are less important. Besides, these problems are no different than the problems that international commerce already deals with. Any cryptocurrency intended to replace or complement a fiat currency is going to have issues like this until it is accepted up and down the chain. It isn't a strong enough reason to focus on fixing day to day valuations, which I think is detrimental to progress.

What do you think about a system that forces you to leak information about your profitability if you want to be profitable, and using that as a basis for stability?

I'm beginning to thing this is actually mandatory. But I'd love to hear your thought on this.

You mentioned that I convinced you that a relatively stable currency based around electricity was possible. If that is true, then I think I can convince you that Decrits proposes to be even more stable, less attackable, and more energy efficient by using indirect information and reverse tragedy of the commons scenarios. I guess a simpler way to put it is game theory. Hell, one of the massively helpful ideas was yours to begin with, and I originally thought it was dumb. But for now, it is bedtime.

BubbleBoy

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 10:39:41 AM

@Impaler, Red: the in-block futures market where a certain proportion of coins is "frozen" for some time has a major drawback: if I can prove that I own the frozen money (using the private key), then I can still spend them out of chain. I can deposit the frozen block to a bank, earn interest, and the bank has 100% certainty that at the unfroze date it has access to the money. The mere promise of future money is money too (near-money), this is how banks operate. So the bidders don't give up anything by having the money frozen, other than the convenience of intra-blockchain transfer. The bid price will collapse as soon as reliable out-of-block transfers are available (like checking accounts drawn on StableCoins) and you won't discover any real-world information.

You really need access to some real currency market. Like the built in market in Ripple for example. Since anyone can create an IOU and tilt the market, maybe a distributed graph analysis can detect the "real" price that most of the network agrees too. Something like PageRank where links between a subnet of pages (IOUs traded by related entities) cannot manipulate the global importance of that subnet.

"If a loaf of bread costs 1 DCR in 2012, then a loaf of broad will cost 1 DCR in 2050, assuming the production costs of bread and money have not changed." This idea has been my cornerstone.

Yes, that's a restatement of the stability problem. "The production cost of money" should be zero because money is information. So my chain of thought is as follows:

1. A StableCoin needs to maintain it's value in reference to a basket of common goods, otherwise it's unstable by definition; speculation, bubbles, etc.
2. We have no chance to compute the value of that basket with a distributed algorithm
3. There is no monetary law that can guarantee intrinsic price stability, it's an economic impossibility
4. Therefore we need to find some proxy of SC's CPI, and peg it's long term value to it; if the long term value is credible, the market will do the short term and price stickiness will appear
5. What CPI proxy to use ?

It seems that real world central banks have a pretty good grip on this problem and regular currencies are more or less stable, so pegging to a real world currency, be it USD, EUR, GBP, or a basket like SDR, is probably the best we can practically achieve. It's also a single number that we need to discover or be told, so it seems a reliable distributed algorithm, be it a vote from the users or an internal market, can agree to it's value.

On the other hand, pegging to energy or hardware costs is not an optimal idea because energy is relatively volatile. Energy should be just a component of SC's CPI. I don't want to sound patronizing towards your proposal, I just think it's an objectively worse CPI than simply leveraging the USD rate. Nor is it possible to find out the energy costs without external information. So if we need external information either way, why not use the best CPI proxy we can find, the exchange rate ?

I think you need to think about StableCoin as being a replacement currency rather than a complementary one.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Like the Bitcoin speculators do when they claim  prices will be stable once everybody is using their currency. Well if prices vary 100% on a daily basis, we will never get to the "everybody is using it" part.

I think a cryptocurrency that stays within a 20% band for a few months relative to the USD dollar and allows people to make instant transactions around the world with small fees and good privacy would be a glorious achievement. We can build from there.

████
              ▄▄████▄▄
          ▄▄████████████▄▄
       ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄
       ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
          ▀▀████████████▀▀
              ▀▀████▀▀
                ████
MIDEX
Francesco

Activity: 252

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 10:53:30 AM

Lots of discussions. Peg it to the dollar, peg it to a basket of commodities.

But I wonder, don't we have a very natural way of pegging it to something quite meaningful -electricity cost?

Couldn't we fix the reward to 50 coins forever, and fix as well the increase of difficulty -to follow Moore's law; so that more miners=more coins?
Then the market would take care. If price goes up too much, the reward for miners wil skyrocket: many will enter the market, more coins will be produced, and the price will go down to its production cost; which, as difficulty increases roughly in sync with computing power, should be relatively stable.

Of course you have to forget about the 21M coins ever and so the 100000000000000000000$/coin many here hope for. But in exchange you'll get a decently stable currency relative to the cost of energy, which is quite linked to the cost of life as everything requires energy; all the same without being linked to the value of dollars, and thus wholly independent from the FED.
BubbleBoy

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 11:02:16 AM

Constant 50 coins per block is deflationary in the long run. 50 years from now the yearly expansion drops under 2%, sufficiently low to make people today go bonkers about their future fortune. It's also incentivizes people to waste useful stuff in order to get currency (MordorCoin), not a nice thing IMO.

████
              ▄▄████▄▄
          ▄▄████████████▄▄
       ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄
       ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
          ▀▀████████████▀▀
              ▀▀████▀▀
                ████
MIDEX
Etlase2

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 12:36:24 PM
Last edit: April 18, 2013, 01:09:32 PM by Etlase2

Yes, that's a restatement of the stability problem. "The production cost of money" should be zero because money is information. So my chain of thought is as follows:

In a non-fiat, decentralized currency, the production cost of money cannot be zero.

On the other hand, pegging to energy or hardware costs is not an optimal idea because energy is relatively volatile.[ Energy should be just a component of SC's CPI. I don't want to sound patronizing towards your proposal, I just think it's an objectively worse CPI than simply leveraging the USD rate.  Nor is it possible to find out the energy costs without external information. So if we need external information either way, why not use the best CPI proxy we can find, the exchange rate ?

You aren't patronizing my proposal, you are criticizing a proposal you think I've written.

BubbleBoy

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 04:59:10 PM

I'm pretty sure you've made that proposal:

Instead of targeting a long term fiat exchange rate or something as arbitrary as CPI, why not create your own target based on hardware costs, electricity, and time and foster competition among miners to keep this target honest. "But it can't be done!" Well I wager it can.

It can be done but it's not the ideal target and it still requires external information.

████
              ▄▄████▄▄
          ▄▄████████████▄▄
       ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄
       ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
          ▀▀████████████▀▀
              ▀▀████▀▀
                ████
MIDEX
Etlase2

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:13:30 PM

It *does not* require external information. I repeat, you are criticizing a proposal that you think I've written rather than the actual proposal. While at the same time you are proposing that the solution is more external information. You are going to run into walls every step of the way in trying to make a system that relies on external information that is also completely decentralized.

BubbleBoy

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 06:24:36 PM

Leaving the information issue aside, I was saying that tying the value to something like hardware and electricity cost is still not a good solution. Energy shocks and rapid technical changes would influence the value of money. 3D chips, war with Iran, nuclear fusion, and many other similar things would open the door wide to speculators looking to extract value from the users of the currency.

If you target the costs of producing a certain computational work, then yes, you don't need external information. But that cannot be a stable coin, or can it ? Can you explain briefly how are you going about regaining  stability ? It's not clear from your proposal because there are allot of low level technical details.

████
              ▄▄████▄▄
          ▄▄████████████▄▄
       ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄
       ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
          ▀▀████████████▀▀
              ▀▀████▀▀
                ████
MIDEX
Red

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 06:31:34 PM
Last edit: April 18, 2013, 06:51:01 PM by Red

Wow, so many thing to respond to. I want to write one coherent post so that is going to mean replying to several of you out of order. I tried to keep the quote references pointing back to their respective complete posts. In general this post reverences posts by.
@herzmeister, BubbleBoy, Impaler, Etlase2

BubbleBoy,

I can't stop MY MIND from jumping to conclusions, and it has jumped to generally the same conclusions as you. So DON'T consider any of this post an attempt to refute anything you are saying. My current best guess is that you are exactly correct. However, sometimes thinking about things that seem completely impractical leads to a certain clarity.

A long while back Etlase2 proposed what you call MordorCoin (EnCoin). He claimed you could get stability by requiring the generation of 1 EnCoin to REQUIRE expending 1 KWH of electricity. I thought I was misunderstanding him because that concept seemed stupid. There's clearly not enough information I thought at the time. Nobody would waste so many posts on so stupid an idea.

I decided he must be trying to say, "1 EnCoin is equal to the COST of 1 KWH of electricity." That still seemed impractical and stupid but at least the units of the equation matched. Both were measures of value at least. That had to be what Etlase2 meant. At least, that's what I thought.

So even though I thought it was impratical and stupid I decided to explore the concept. Surely Etlase2 wouldn't allow so many people to call him an idiot, over and over, if he wasn't on to something? It didn't take long before I had some plausible ideas so I posted them in the EnCoin thread. Etlase2 kept calling me an idiot who couldn't understand his most basic concepts. So I'd look at what I wrote, find a flaw and fix it...

After about a week, I found a solution that created a StableCoin. It used the cost of electricity to discourage over production of coins. But it didn't actually need to peg the price to the cost of electricity. Instead it used non-linear equations. The logic went,
1. When the system is in equilibrium, it should cost exactly as much in electricity cost to generate a coin as that coin is worth. Therefore ZERO people would rationally choose to generate a coin.
2. When external demand increases the value of a coin will move above equilibrium. Therefor EVERY rational person would choose to generate new coins. LET THEM! Then increase the difficulty of generating coins in proportion to the number of coins rational people chose to generate.
3. The speculators must then RACE to the exchanges to sell their coins before the exchange rate falls back to their personal cost of electricity. Otherwise they can't pay their electric bill.
4. Increasing the supply of coins AT THE EXCHANGE puts downward pressure on the price.
5. Increasing the difficulty, increases the cost of generating new coins, pushing the system back to equilibrium.
6. (Tired of typing. Pretend the logic for when the value falls below equilibrium is here.)

I thought it was genius. I'd proved that a StableCoin could theoretically be created. Etlase2, however, still thought I was an idiot. My presumption wasn't what he was saying at all. I had failed to understand his most basic premise. He was proposing that it always on average required 1 KWH to generate 1 Coin.

I thought the concept was silly, but just as an exercise I decided to see if I could make his concept work. I could! He was correct a stable coin could be created using his principles. So for the sake of having another concrete example of a potential StableCoin, I wrote it up for discussion as GEM. (the link is above in this thread somewhere.)

Now when I wrote it up, I still thought the MordorCoin concept was stupid. It SHOULD NOT require so much energy to create a stable currency. WTF! the Federal Reserve and Bureau of Engraving and Printing combined don't use that much energy!

But at least three people were discussing the concept so I decided not to derail the discussion. I figured that if I could convince 10 people that a StableCoin was plausible, then I'd work on convincing them we could make the whole system more electrically efficient.

Unfortunately, we never got more that 4 people to believe that StableCoins could be created without REQUIRING a central exchange to directly make monetary policy decisions. We had PROVED the opposite at least 3 separate ways, but we couldn't overcome everyone's preconceived notions.

That said...

The only way economists know how to that is by watching a certain basket of goods, compute the CPI and control the monetary variables to that effect. It's simply absurd to think a distributed currency could compute a distributed version of the CPI...

You are absolutely right, we couldn't write a program to do all that.

...And there's no way to design the currency to be intrinsically stable, because the value of money is entirely driven by external factors...

It's also pretty clear to me that someone or something has to have some relationship to the external reality in order to create any meaningful stability. The functions CANNOT be only self-referential.

Who observes the external world, and how they do so, are the open questions.

If you want to stabilize a ship on the open sea, you don't need a reference to stable land to do so. You don't need a reference wave height, period, or relative sea level. You need external information to "leak" into the system. In this case the information leaks in through MOMENTUM. A change in position requires movement. Movement has a velocity. A change in velocity requires acceleration. Acceleration of a known mass equals implies the external force applied. (Not a great explanation)

But the point is that while the inference chain may be long... computers calculate really fast! As long as we figure out where the appropriate information leaks into the system, we can stabilize it.

I think Impaler might be onto something in regards to exchange rate discovery using some internal tradeable commodity, but I can't quite put my finger on it. As I've said previously, blockchain transaction rate, "coin days destroyed" or other such folly are not good signals...

I think Impaler might be on to something to. Again I'm not exactly sure how the information "leaks" into the system, but it sure seams like it might.

The goal is to eliminate external dependencies and statistical noise and to come to faithful predictions about actual adoption and use by internal metrics alone, like amount and volume of transactions. Maybe more metrics can be found. Of course people move wallets around, but this should also even out in the long term. Transaction fees may be able to discourage all too much manipulation. They will have to be fixed to a reasonable level. The exchange rate is intended to be boring and not attract speculators.

I think you are saying the same thing. But just to be clear we need to understand where EXTERNAL REALITY leaks into our system, before anyone or anything can determine the proper forces to stabilize it.

A direct way to incorporate the price information is to use a vote and I tend to believe all other schemes can be reduced to this - it they form a majority users would just fork the chain and modify the inflation rate algorithm.

Sounds interesting; I originally did not intend a voting mechanism, but if metrics cannot be discovered automatically, why not let money supply growth be voted upon somewhat democratically. I don't understand why old miners would vote for no new coins for themselves though.

Speculating through futures IS VOTING. Importantly it is voting by people who are ACTUALLY OBSERVING the external world rationally. Voting by people who are thinking "philosophically" like fixed-coin bitcoin fanboys doesn't leak any useful information into the system.

You really need access to some real currency market. Like the built in market in Ripple for example...

It seems that real world central banks have a pretty good grip on this problem and regular currencies are more or less stable, so pegging to a real world currency, be it USD, EUR, GBP, or a basket like SDR, is probably the best we can practically achieve. It's also a single number that we need to discover or be told, so it seems a reliable distributed algorithm, be it a vote from the users or an internal market, can agree to it's value.

I agree that SOMEONE somewhere needs access to this information before it can "leak" into our system. However, I'm not ready to jump to conclusions that it must be measured by a trusted authority or deliberately injected. In fact, as with my ship stabilization example, and my initial StableCoin example it might already be measurable based upon a derivative value. In both cases observation is done by measuring "acceleration". In my StableCoin example, I measured the change in coin generation velocity. From that I could infer what speculators had observed in the external market.

And yes I agree, using a reference point we don't have to calculate makes this conversation and system design easier and faster. It might make the conversation much less fascinating!

1. A StableCoin needs to maintain it's value in reference to a basket of common goods, otherwise it's unstable by definition; speculation, bubbles, etc.
2. We have no chance to compute the value of that basket with a distributed algorithm
3. There is no monetary law that can guarantee intrinsic price stability, it's an economic impossibility
4. Therefore we need to find some proxy of SC's CPI, and peg it's long term value to it; if the long term value is credible, the market will do the short term and price stickiness will appear
5. What CPI proxy to use ?

I agree with this logic, but I'm not ready to commit to a decision yet. I'm reasonably convinced that if we can prove we can stabilize to any CPI particular proxy, we could just as easily stabilize to any of the others as well. While the choice of with CPI proxy to use makes an interesting debate. I don't think that choice is on our "critical path" at the moment.

"If a loaf of bread costs 1 DCR in 2012, then a loaf of broad will cost 1 DCR in 2050, assuming the production costs of bread and money have not changed." This idea has been my cornerstone.

Yes, that's a restatement of the stability problem....

We'll probably have to standardize on some terms. I propose the following definitions for discussion:

StableCoin - An abstract class of COINS which have the shared property that their monetary policy (coin creation/destruction bounding algorithms) will never allow the coin's future value to "tend toward infinity" or "tend toward zero" given the case of unbounded adoption and unbounded increase in external value traded.

GrailCoin - sub-class of StableCoin whose value attempts to always tend toward the value it had on the day the coin was first launched. It should retain long term value stability even if every reference its value can be measured against varies independently.

InertiaCoin - a subclass of StableCoin whose value is intended to deliberately resist change. InertiaCoin may be pushed off its initial price by extreme external conditions. But it will always re-stabilize to some appropriate value. (non zero, non infinite) Any coin with infinite inertia IS A GrailCoin. But not all GrailCoins need be InertiaCoins. Grail coins always move back to their initial value when pushed off. InfiniteInertia means the value can never be pushed off.

MordorCoin - a sub-class of StableCoin requiring a fixed expenditure of electricity to mine.

CPICoin - a specific StableCoin whose value tends toward a particular measurable consumer price index.
FiatCoin - a specific StableCoin whose exchange rate value tends toward a particular fiat currency.
DollarCoin, EuroCoin, YenCoin, etc. - A FiatCoin intended to always trade 1 to 1 with USD, Euro, Yen, etc.

For reverence, my initial coin (described above) was an InertiaCoin.
GEM was a MordorCoin.

On the other hand, pegging to energy or hardware costs is not an optimal idea because energy is relatively volatile. Energy should be just a component of SC's CPI. I don't want to sound patronizing towards your proposal, I just think it's an objectively worse CPI than simply leveraging the USD rate. Nor is it possible to find out the energy costs without external information. So if we need external information either way, why not use the best CPI proxy we can find, the exchange rate ?

Einstein talked about standing in a free-falling elevator. It helped him visualize what was truly necessary and what was superfluous to the problem at hand. I don't think he ever intended that people actually stand in free-falling elevators because it would facilitate their epiphany.

:-)

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: