Bitcoin Forum
November 24, 2017, 01:49:58 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How is this possible, Multibit trying to send more than it received.  (Read 445 times)
vitalis644

Activity: 5

View Profile
February 08, 2017, 06:12:32 AM

And there are unconfirmed coins in all three wallets associated with this mess.

Any help is appreciated.

https://ibb.co/mxiJWF
Multibit 0.4.1
Mac OS 10.9.5

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Join ICO Now A blockchain platform for effective freelancing
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Frosxh

Activity: 322

Tipsters Championship www.DirectBet.eu/Competition

View Profile
February 08, 2017, 06:32:45 AM

do you mean the amount converted in dollars? yesterday's rate of bitcoin is lower than what it is the time you sent the coins so the recieved transaction converted to USD is lower than the amount to sent but if you notice the bitcoin amount is the same

vitalis644

View Profile
February 08, 2017, 06:53:13 AM

do you mean the amount converted in dollars? yesterday's rate of bitcoin is lower than what it is the time you sent the coins so the recieved transaction converted to USD is lower than the amount to sent but if you notice the bitcoin amount is the same

It's been stuck and there are unconfirmed coins in each wallet, it's been over 24 hours.
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 1050

http://www.mocacinno.com

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2017, 06:54:46 AM

It's been stuck and there are unconfirmed coins in each wallet, it's been over 24 hours.

Most of the time, this is because not enough fee  (in satoshi per byte) was added to the transaction.
The only way to know this for sure is if you share the transaction id tough.

vitalis644

View Profile
February 08, 2017, 07:15:07 AM

Most of the time, this is because not enough fee  (in satoshi per byte) was added to the transaction.

If that's the case will it eventually work itself out? It's never taken over a day, the initial deposit has 165 confirmations.
mocacinno
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2017, 07:18:32 AM

Most of the time, this is because not enough fee  (in satoshi per byte) was added to the transaction.

If that's the case will it eventually work itself out? It's never taken over a day, the initial deposit has 165 confirmations.

No, it's not guaranteed to work itself out (if you mean by working out: get included in a block)... At the moment it's in the mempool of (most of) the nodes.
If most nodes drop the transaction before it makes it into a block, the network will eventually "forget" about it, and to the network it'll be like the transaction never happened.
In most wallets, it'll look like the BTC was never sent, altough some wallets might act a bit strange and need some extra steps in order to fix this. I'm not a regular multibit user, but IIRC, it has a 'repair wallet' function to rescan.
It gets a little bit tricky tough: if this happens (the BTC returns to your wallet), most nodes have forgotten about your transaction, but there is no guarantee all miners have purged the transaction from their node's mempool. So, it is possible the transaction will still make it into a block, even when it looked like your BTC returned to your wallet... This chance is very, very small tough. The way to avoid this is to re-use the inputs in a new transaction with a higher fee, once the input is used in a transaction that is added to a block in the blockchain, the input gets removed from the UTXO and other transactions using the same output as an input will be rejected.

Your options:
1) wait, if it gets into a block... Great, if it doesn't: see if you see the funds in your wallet again, and if not repair your wallet... In this second case: make sure that next time you spend the same inputs to re-create the transaction (hopefully with a higher fee)
2) if your fee was higher than 10 satoshi's per byte, you can use https://www.viabtc.com/tools/txaccelerator/ (this tool asks the mining pool ViaBTC to please add your transaction to the block they're currently working on...)
3) more technically challenging options: CPFP, RBF or double spending the inputs for the unconfirmed transaction... But since i'm not a multibit regular, i don't know if they support RBF, and/or if you can export the private keys in order to double spend the inputs... CPFP is only possible if you controll the private key for one of the receiving addresses (i don't know if there's a change address or not, but that would also work)

vitalis644

View Profile
February 08, 2017, 08:00:06 AM

Most of the time, this is because not enough fee  (in satoshi per byte) was added to the transaction.

No, it's not guaranteed to work itself out (if you mean by working out: get included in a block)... At the moment it's in the mempool of (most of) the nodes.
If most nodes drop the transaction before it makes it into a block, the network will eventually "forget" about it, and to the network it'll be like the transaction never happened.
In most wallets, it'll look like the BTC was never sent, altough some wallets might act a bit strange and need some extra steps in order to fix this. I'm not a regular multibit user, but IIRC, it has a 'repair wallet' function to rescan.
It gets a little bit tricky tough: if this happens (the BTC returns to your wallet), most nodes have forgotten about your transaction, but there is no guarantee all miners have purged the transaction from their node's mempool. So, it is possible the transaction will still make it into a block, even when it looked like your BTC returned to your wallet... This chance is very, very small tough. The way to avoid this is to re-use the inputs in a new transaction with a higher fee, once the input is used in a transaction that is added to a block in the blockchain, the input gets removed from the UTXO and other transactions using this input will be rejected.

Your options:
1) wait, if it gets into a block... Great, if it doesn't: see if you see the funds in your wallet again, and if not repair your wallet... In this second case: make sure that next time you spend the same inputs to re-create the transaction (hopefully with a higher fee)
2) if your fee was higher than 10 satoshi's per byte, you can use https://www.viabtc.com/tools/txaccelerator/ (this tool asks the mining pool ViaBTC to please add your transaction to the block they're currently working on...)
3) more technically challenging options: CPFP, RBF or double spending the inputs for the unconfirmed transaction... But since i'm not a multibit regular, i don't know if they support RBF, and/or if you can export the private keys in order to double spend the inputs... CPFP is only possible if you controll the private key for one of the receiving addresses (i don't know if there's a change address or not, but that would also work)

I've turned the fee all the way up and repaired the wallets, at this point I'll just have to hope it works Sad
mocacinno
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2017, 08:17:39 AM

I've turned the fee all the way up and repaired the wallets, at this point I'll just have to hope it works Sad

The thing is: repairing the wallet will only work if most of the nodes dropped your transaction from the mempool. If it's still in the mempool of the nodes around you, repairing won't do any good. Standard node's settings are to drop a tx from their mempool after 3 days, or when the size of the mempool gets to large (IIRC, the default setting is 150Mb, but i didn't doublecheck this)

Cranking up your fee will work the next time you create a transaction, it won't help for the transaction you already broadcasted.

What you can do:
1) copy the transaction id
2) search for the transaction id on several block explorers like blockr.io, btc.com, blockchain.info . As soon as you cannot find the transaction on these explorers anymore, see if it looks like the BTC returned to your wallet... If not => repair.
3) As soon as you can see your funds again, re-create the transaction with a high fee.

vitalis644

View Profile
February 08, 2017, 08:43:46 AM

The thing is: repairing the wallet will only work if most of the nodes dropped your transaction from the mempool. If it's still in the mempool of the nodes around you, repairing won't do any good. Standard node's settings are to drop a tx from their mempool after 3 days, or when the size of the mempool gets to large (IIRC, the default setting is 150Mb, but i didn't doublecheck this)

Cranking up your fee will work the next time you create a transaction, it won't help for the transaction you already broadcasted.

What you can do:
1) copy the transaction id
2) search for the transaction id on several block explorers like blockr.io, btc.com, blockchain.info . As soon as you cannot find the transaction on these explorers anymore, see if it looks like the BTC returned to your wallet... If not => repair.
3) As soon as you can see your funds again, re-create the transaction with a high fee.

Thanks for all your help, I'll try that.

EDIT: Thank you SO much for your help, something worked and I got my coins back out of unconfirmed limbo...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.