Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:41:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trezor Passphrase Encryption  (Read 1744 times)
HK87 (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 08, 2017, 01:59:58 PM

I just received my trezor hardware wallet and I am trying to set a passphrase from the advanced tab but I don't see anywhere where I can set my own passphrase.  I just have the option to enable passphrase encryption and it automatically sets a blank passphrase.

What I am doing wrong, how do I set my own passphrase?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2017, 03:27:36 PM

I just received my trezor hardware wallet and I am trying to set a passphrase from the advanced tab but I don't see anywhere where I can set my own passphrase.  I just have the option to enable passphrase encryption and it automatically sets a blank passphrase.

What I am doing wrong, how do I set my own passphrase?

You do not set the passphrase(s) from the advanced tab, you just enable them. Log out from your Trezor. Next time you connect to trezor.io you will be shown a window where you enter your desired passphrase twice, that will then open a new wallet with zero balance. If you already have funds on your Trezor just enter empty passphrase twice.

https://blog.trezor.io/seed-pin-passphrase-e15d14a0b546#.u6djt7xz8

If you forget your passphrase you lose any bitcoin in the passphrase protected account.

HK87 (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 08, 2017, 04:16:00 PM

Thanks, that helped alot Smiley
Coin-Keeper

Activity: 758
Merit: 606

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 08:38:28 PM

Just an opinion here, but a Trezor with NO password (different from the PIN) creates a wallet that would be a perfect place for a decoy wallet!  Put a fraction of a coin or a few coins if you have large wallets, and then you have a perfect "out" if someone demands you open your Trezor.  There is no evidence of any other wallet unless the passphrase to access it is known.  Perfect stealth.

BTC: 1PYSBbuKM3kW19xe9TXJQfq64rPhd8XorF
Staked and Verified: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=996318.msg17102755#msg17102755
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2017, 09:00:04 PM

Just an opinion here, but a Trezor with NO password (different from the PIN) creates a wallet that would be a perfect place for a decoy wallet!  Put a fraction of a coin or a few coins if you have large wallets, and then you have a perfect "out" if someone demands you open your Trezor.  There is no evidence of any other wallet unless the passphrase to access it is known.  Perfect stealth.

Trezor has been recommending this approach in advanced settings under multi-passphrase hidden wallets.

Coin-Keeper

Activity: 758
Merit: 606

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 09:30:55 PM

Trezor has been recommending this approach in advanced settings under multi-passphrase hidden wallets.

Every time I read that article I see the $5.00 wrench bouncing off my head.  So much so that I have created another "backup" decoy wallet with a simple passphrase.  A bit more coins in that one, but nowhere near an actual daily wallet.  LOL

BTC: 1PYSBbuKM3kW19xe9TXJQfq64rPhd8XorF
Staked and Verified: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=996318.msg17102755#msg17102755
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: