Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:18:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMINER Auction: 10 Block Erupter Blades -ended-  (Read 102515 times)
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 01:01:16 AM

1@70
How serious should we take an offer from a forum member with no reputation?

Does it matter? If they don't pay, there are plenty of fall back bids.

Its a problem. Think about it. Price at 60BTC. The bidder that wants to win bids 10@61BTC. Then he goes in with a fake account and bids 10@210. He knows that he wont pay the higher bid so that he will get all miners for 61BTC. Effectively forcing out all other bidders because they cant bid anymore. Theres no protection yet except reputation or something. But i think many users here on the forum have many different forum accounts. And are they only created for getting the ripple giveaway.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Prototype

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 01:19:49 AM

If the problem is the concern about fake account, then why not price the units at a static price? Use the pricing model that Avalon used for their machines. If that isn't good enough then the potential for sales over time will be eroded by additional competition and diminished returns from increasing difficulty as more ASICs come online. Strike while the iron is hot, make the money and remain competitive in the market. If the prices are out of whack and everything is dragged out with auctions then others will have time to refine products and get them out the door to willing buyers. Simple economics.

ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 01:25:17 AM

If the problem is the concern about fake account, then why not price the units at a static price?

The whole point of the auction is to figure out what the price should be.

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 01:32:29 AM

If the problem is the concern about fake account, then why not price the units at a static price? Use the pricing model that Avalon used for their machines. If that isn't good enough then the potential for sales over time will be eroded by additional competition and diminished returns from increasing difficulty as more ASICs come online. Strike while the iron is hot, make the money and remain competitive in the market. If the prices are out of whack and everything is dragged out with auctions then others will have time to refine products and get them out the door to willing buyers. Simple economics.

Surely you are no shareholder. If avalon wants to churn out machines for low money that later sell for a multiple on ebay its their thing. Asicminer wont do this.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
JaredR26

Activity: 219
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 01:51:50 AM

1@70

Its a problem. Think about it. Price at 60BTC. The bidder that wants to win bids 10@61BTC. Then he goes in with a fake account and bids 10@210. He knows that he wont pay the higher bid so that he will get all miners for 61BTC. Effectively forcing out all other bidders because they cant bid anymore. Theres no protection yet except reputation or something. But i think many users here on the forum have many different forum accounts. And are they only created for getting the ripple giveaway.

I think requiring a deposit from unknown members(to John) to show that they mean business is a good idea.
oaxaca

Activity: 671
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 01:55:10 AM

Obviously this discussion should happen, but not in this thread.  You can't really change the rules after the auction has started.

1@70

I think requiring a deposit from unknown members(to John) to show that they mean business is a good idea.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 03:01:32 AM

Yeah, a deposit would a good way to solve this - but the auction is already on. Please note that I will be deleting thread-crapping posts or obviously trolling bids to keep this thread on track. Anyhow, I am sure that yochdog for one will honor his bids, thus effectively placing the auction at a minimum of 10@60. There's still no reason to doubt other bids though - there's still a long time to go for the auction to end.

Courtesy recap of potential winners:
delariaBTC70
alexukBTC65
marto74BTC62
LainZBTC61
bajanboostBTC61
DerringerBTC61
DerringerBTC61
afro25BTC61
bitsalameBTC60
yochdogBTC60

Time left:

Timer removed. End time: 2013-04-19+16:00:00
MikeMark

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

Bitcoin: money chosen by the market.

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 03:10:34 AM

Hey, this is BTCitcoin.

If there's a need to prove that you are a legit bidder, issue all bidders a random 3 or 4 digit number by PM. That number of Satoshis must be sent to friedcat from an address having enough BTCitcoin to satisfy the bid. That will confirm availability of funds. If the funds aren't there, reject the bid.

Bidding can remain public while bid confirmation can be private.

Bidders at high price auctions are usually required to prove they are legitimate, often with a bank letter, but sometimes with a deposit.

I'm actually surprised this hasn't become the norm here yet.

The Path of the Just is as the Shining Light...
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 03:34:00 AM

Hey, this is BTCitcoin.

If there's a need to prove that you are a legit bidder, issue all bidders a random 3 or 4 digit number by PM. That number of Satoshis must be sent to friedcat from an address having enough BTCitcoin to satisfy the bid. That will confirm availability of funds. If the funds aren't there, reject the bid.

Bidding can remain public while bid confirmation can be private.

Bidders at high price auctions are usually required to prove they are legitimate, often with a bank letter, but sometimes with a deposit.

I'm actually surprised this hasn't become the norm here yet.

A couple of auctions here last time required deposits just in case the bidders were joybidders. I'd let this go for the moment as friedcat didn't think about this before, but anyone who tries joybidding will be posted to the Scammer accusation subforum at the very least now.
Pinwheel

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 03:36:31 AM

2@61

Tom Waits: We should just start as soon as possible cause we might catch a rabbit before we have our pants on. (Juxtapoz)
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 03:40:39 AM

delariaBTC70
alexukBTC65
marto74BTC62
LainZBTC61
bajanboostBTC61
DerringerBTC61
DerringerBTC61
afro25BTC61
PinwheelBTC61
PinwheelBTC61

Time left:

JordanL
Donator

Activity: 294

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 03:41:14 AM

1 @ 62
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 03:58:17 AM

delariaBTC70
alexukBTC65
marto74BTC62
BlackLilacBTC62
LainZBTC61
bajanboostBTC61
DerringerBTC61
DerringerBTC61
afro25BTC61
PinwheelBTC61

Time left:

julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 04:52:57 AM

2 @ 31

Yeah, it's a lowball offer - but I'm just helping provide a datapoint for 'price discovery'. 
Even at that price I feel it's an extravagant (for me) risk. 

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
ar9

Activity: 352

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:23:07 AM

2 @ 31

Yeah, it's a lowball offer - but I'm just helping provide a datapoint for 'price discovery'. 

What's the point of this bid when the lowest you can bid to win these is 61 BTC?
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:26:43 AM

2 @ 31

What's the point of this bid when the lowest you can bid to win these is 61 BTC?
No idea on this. Please do not clog up the thread with such bids - I've deleted a couple of '1@0' and '1@0.1' when the bids were around 50-60...
JordanL
Donator

Activity: 294

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:34:21 AM

2 @ 31

No idea on this. Please do not clog up the thread with such bids - I've deleted a couple of '1@0' and '1@0.1' when the bids were around 50-60...

0.1BTC tip to the dealer for keeping control of the table!

Expect it... as soon as Blockchain.info gets their shit back online so I can use my hot wallet. 
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:37:43 AM

2 @ 31

The point is what I stated above:
 'a datapoint for price discovery'
 - in other words - to help those in the business of selling these things, to note that not everyone who is in the market for mining gear (which I still potentially am, depending on offerings) will pay those prices.
I consider the risk of large amounts of hashing power coming online to make the prices of 60BTC way too risky. I may well be wrong of course.

The drawcard for this particular sale, and my guess why it's gone so high is that there is presumably quick shipment, but even then you have to weigh up the risks of problems in shipment, including taxation/holding by customs, breakages etc.

Please do not clog up the thread with such bids - I've deleted a couple of '1@0' and '1@0.1' when the bids were around 50-60...
Sorry John, I'll keep out - although there is much 'noise' in this thread that didn't seem to attract rebuke - and my post had a point (albeit misunderstood it seems).

But for the sake of curiosity - do you mean you don't want anyone to bid even a little under what the current offers are? Surely there are potentially a few cancellations?

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:41:58 AM

2 @ 31

The point is what I stated above:
 'a datapoint for price discovery'
 - in other words - to help those in the business of selling these things, to note that not everyone who is in the market for mining gear (which I still potentially am, depending on offerings) will pay those prices.
I consider the risk of large amounts of hashing power coming online to make the prices of 60BTC way too risky. I may well be wrong of course.

The drawcard for this particular sale, and my guess why it's gone so high is that there is presumably quick shipment, but even then you have to weigh up the risks of problems in shipment, including taxation/holding by customs, breakages etc.

Please do not clog up the thread with such bids - I've deleted a couple of '1@0' and '1@0.1' when the bids were around 50-60...
Sorry John, I'll keep out - although there is much 'noise' in this thread that didn't seem to attract rebuke - and my post had a point (albeit misunderstood it seems).

But for the sake of curiosity - do you mean you don't want anyone to bid even a little under what the current offers are? Surely there are potentially a few cancellations?

You can bid slightly below the current offers (and that's why I didn't delete your post). I was deleting those obviously trolling bids like 1@0 or equivalent.

2 @ 31

PS: But please do not overdo this - and expect your bids to be ignored. If you have an existing bid at higher prices, you cannot effectively cancel it by rebidding lower.

0.1BTC tip to the dealer for keeping control of the table!

Expect it... as soon as Blockchain.info gets their shit back online so I can use my hot wallet.  

Thanks  Grin
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 06:42:59 AM

2 @ 31

In similar spirit, 1@ 35.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: