Bitcoin Forum
April 02, 2024, 09:00:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who ACTUALLY knows what they're talking about here?  (Read 4366 times)
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 10:10:20 PM

If I had a bitcoin for every different opinion I've read on them, I'd be rich (even at their current price). Yes, I am aware formal credentials aren't everything, but they obviously are a lot. So, if anyone who posts frequently here or in the "Speculation" thread frequently, I would just be curious of what kind of credentials you have.
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
whitenight639

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 10:39:15 PM

If I had a bitcoin for every different opinion I've read on them, I'd be rich (even at their current price). Yes, I am aware formal credentials aren't everything, but they obviously are a lot. So, if anyone who posts frequently here or in the "Speculation" thread frequently, I would just be curious of what kind of credentials you have.

If you value Credentials highly then I suggest that the bitcoin world isn't for you.

I suspect their are many well qualified and knowlagable people on this forum and many that make up for their lack of credentials with there wisdom and intelligence, but alas many of these people value their privacy over ego / status.

125uWc197UW5kM659m4uwEakxoNHzMKzwz
Beetle559

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 10:39:48 PM

The problem is that even among the people with credentials there's no agreement.

I wouldn't be too focused on the "consensus" view, just get familiar with different views and form your own judgment.
leemar

Activity: 193

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 10:41:59 PM

I don't :-)
Tonko

Activity: 126

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 11:12:26 PM

I would just be curious of what kind of credentials you have.

Same here.

Why don't you start with yours first?
abbyd

Activity: 159

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 12:01:22 AM

Same here.

Why don't you start with yours first?

I'd guess he's qualified to get pedos to sit down:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJLhQoxenB8
shawshankinmate37927

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin: The People's Bailout

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 01:23:45 AM

Credentials are meaningless.  Paul Krugman, for example, has a Nobel prize in economics, but knows nothing about how a free-market economy leads to prosperity.  He's been drinking too much of that Keynesian Kool-Aid.  If you're unsure about how to "connect the dots", just dig for answers and think things through logically.  The light bulb will eventually come on.

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
anonymous_hero

Activity: 25

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 02:10:24 AM

Generally, people with advanced degrees in economics do not bloviate on Internet forums, and even if they did, they don't have much reason to share their credentials or their identity.  Degrees or any other such qualifications are generally hard to prove, anyway, so why bother?
MisterMelancholy

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 02:46:34 AM

Generally, people with advanced degrees in economics do not bloviate on Internet forums, and even if they did, they don't have much reason to share their credentials or their identity.  Degrees or any other such qualifications are generally hard to prove, anyway, so why bother?
People with degrees are too busy making money to roam on some little BitCoin forum.

By the way, I have a PHD in Economics, Computer Sciences, Cryptography, Mathematics...
dataphile

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 04:49:23 AM

Proudhon.
ManBearPig

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

"Don't go in the trollbox, trollbox, trollbox"

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 07:10:31 AM

Proudhon.

Almost: I'd say anti-Proudhon!

Nah I'm kidding.

OP: not me mate!

I dispense facts, sometimes opinions but unless people are paying me money (and sometimes even when they do) I'll always offer the caveat: I'm just some bloke and I make mistakes.

Anyone who says, "Do what I say and you can earn 30% daily passive income following my 7-step plan" and puts it in a large, bold, red font doesn't either IMO.

The best traders take their warm glow from profits not peer approval!

I tweet crypto nonsense: https://twitter.com/DunningKruger_
squall1066
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1032

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 08:03:05 AM

What credentials does one need to stop oppression? Personally, I don't care if some people cant string two words together, We all here have one view, FREEDOM! If we cant get on in a society created by the society, We really are screwed!
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 02:02:54 PM

I got the credentials.

Then I got past them.

Fortunately.

PS: UNFORTUNATELY....

The way things are in the US right now with the government having taken over the student loan market, and the costs of education having quadruple the price increases of inflation on the average, one simply "BUYS" credentials and at very high cost, both in loans and time.

Personally I don't think such credentials are a good investment.  At least in many cases.

A more interesting question would be something like, is there a M. Friedman, Hayek or the like posting on these forums?  If so I would know from the writing and need know nothing else about the person's credentials.
rayt5

Activity: 23

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 03:17:37 PM

Unfortunately, the only real way to know anything for sure about a controversial topic is to study it yourself.

I would advise you to be skeptical of people that say things like "Bitcoin doesn't apply to these economic arguments, because it's different." A lot of these people are exhibiting special pleading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_pleading. From the article, examples of this logical fallacy include:

• unexplained claims of exemption from principles commonly thought relevant to the subject matter
  • claims to data that are inherently unverifiable, perhaps because too remote or impossible to define clearly
  • appeals to "common knowledge" that bypass supporting data
  • assertion that the opponent lacks the qualifications necessary to comprehend a point of view
  • assertion that nobody has the qualifications necessary to comprehend a point of view

Examples of this fallacy on this forum include: "There is no bubble, because Bitcoin is different", "Deflation in Bitcoin isn't bad, because Bitcoin is different than other previous currencies", or "X criticism doesn't apply to Bitcoin, because Bitcoin is different."

It doesn't mean what they're saying isn't true, but the reason will almost never be because "Bitcoin is different," and when it is, if they can't explain why Bitcoin does not belong in a certain category of things that an argument puts it in other than the fact that it's new or unique or people just don't understand it, then it's probably safe to dismiss their argument.
Epicurus

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 03:21:59 PM

What credentials does one need to stop oppression? Personally, I don't care if some people cant string two words together, We all here have one view, FREEDOM! If we cant get on in a society created by the society, We really are screwed!

No we don't. You might, but the True Believers are on their way to being marginalized by people who are serious about Bitcoin as a currency, and not as some Ayn Rand fantasy.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 03:23:31 PM

I agree with your assertion but have never really known how to describe it until now. I learned something today because of you. Thanks  Smiley

Unfortunately, the only real way to know anything for sure about a controversial topic is to study it yourself.

I would advise you to be skeptical of people that say things like "Bitcoin doesn't apply to these economic arguments, because it's different." A lot of these people are exhibiting special pleading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_pleading From the article, examples of this logical fallacy include:

• unexplained claims of exemption from principles commonly thought relevant to the subject matter
  • claims to data that are inherently unverifiable, perhaps because too remote or impossible to define clearly
  • assertion that the opponent lacks the qualifications necessary to comprehend a point of view
  • assertion that nobody has the qualifications necessary to comprehend a point of view

Examples of this fallacy on this form include: "There is no bubble, because Bitcoin is different", "Deflation in Bitcoin isn't bad, because Bitcoin is different than other previous currencies", or "X criticism doesn't apply to Bitcoin, because Bitcoin is different."

It doesn't mean what they're saying isn't true, but the reason will almost never be because "Bitcoin is different," and when it is, if they can't explain why Bitcoin does not belong in a certain category of things that an argument puts it in other than the fact that it's new or unique or people just don't understand it, then it's probably safe to dismiss their argument.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 03:25:45 PM

I know what I'm talking about when I say that I don't know what I'm talking about. 

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 03:26:00 PM

I started buying bitcoins when they were at about $3.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 03:52:05 PM

I would advise you to be skeptical of people that say things like "Bitcoin doesn't apply to these economic arguments, because it's different." A lot of these people are exhibiting special pleading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_pleading. From the article, examples of this logical fallacy include:

Examples of this fallacy on this forum include: "There is no bubble, because Bitcoin is different", "Deflation in Bitcoin isn't bad, because Bitcoin is different than other previous currencies", or "X criticism doesn't apply to Bitcoin, because Bitcoin is different."

Examples of strawmen arguments include mischaracterizing the argument, Deflation in Bitcoin isn't bad because deflation is inherently good" as "Deflation in Bitcoin isn't bad because of some special characteristic of Bitcoin."
rayt5

Activity: 23

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 04:00:12 PM

Examples of strawmen arguments include mischaracterizing the argument, Deflation in Bitcoin isn't bad because deflation is inherently good" as "Deflation in Bitcoin isn't bad because of some special characteristic of Bitcoin."

That's a different kind of argument, and not what I was talking about. Asserting that deflation in currency is inherently good is a general assertion, and it's something that can be debated on its own evidence. We can look at how deflation has affected currencies in the past. What I was saying was that IF we look at how deflation affects currencies in the past, and IF deflation appears to negatively affect the economy that uses those currencies, one can't just dismiss the argument by saying "those examples don't apply to Bitcoins because bitcoins are different."
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: