April 20, 2024, 02:30:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 [664] 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 ... 33285 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26364815 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
sarc

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 12:24:28 PM

Something is wrong with that chart. I have seen many log charts (for example the one at bitcoincharts.com) but they all look different.
The first thing that's wrong about that chart is that it's pulled out of the OP's ass. He was drawing a line based on "Mmmm, right about there".

ok then.

Plotted using sigmaplot.

regression analysis in genstat stats package (version 12) minus bubble data.

bitcoin price (logged) = -0.0635+0.0013791*time  

predicted price= $24.24

when I first saw this, I sold everything. edit: all bitcoins

Smiley

Nice, so you actually didn't pull your prediction out of your ass, but used (polynomial) regression on historical data (not sure if it's wise to exclude bubble data/outliers, though). I respect that.

But do you want to know what is the single biggest assumption you make in your analysis, an assumption that some (including me) would consider completely unfounded, and in fact completely unrealistic?

That there is a single underlying growth function that governed the price of btc over the entire course of the data you looked at, and will continue to govern it.

Sure, you're free to make this assumption. But with that assumption removed, your analysis falls apart.

thanks. But I didn't assume an underlying growth function, I used a linear regression to identify  and measure it. Sure it can change post bubble, but will it? With unbiased eyes, does it really look like the bubble is over?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2013, 12:26:38 PM

Nice, so you actually didn't pull your prediction out of your ass, but used (polynomial) regression on historical data (not sure if it's wise to exclude bubble data/outliers, though). I respect that.

But do you want to know what is the single biggest assumption you make in your analysis, an assumption that some (including me) would consider completely unfounded, and in fact completely unrealistic?

That there is a single underlying growth function that governed the price of btc over the entire course of the data you looked at, and will continue to govern it.

Sure, you're free to make this assumption. But with that assumption removed, your analysis falls apart.

So suddenly there is the call for scientific rigor, when the results do not match your expectations?
Awesome!

Oh and take a hint, the result wouldn't differ much if someone were to use the method you suggested.
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 12:28:55 PM

Something is wrong with that chart. I have seen many log charts (for example the one at bitcoincharts.com) but they all look different.
The first thing that's wrong about that chart is that it's pulled out of the OP's ass. He was drawing a line based on "Mmmm, right about there".

ok then.

Plotted using sigmaplot.

predicted price= $24.24

Smiley

thanks. But I didn't assume an underlying growth function, I used a linear regression to identify  and measure it. Sure it can change post bubble, but will it?

Dude, you either don't know the math behind what you do, or you're willfully obstinate to make a point: if you run a simple regression analysis like you did, you de facto work from the assumption that there is one and only function underlying those data points. Otherwise, you "identified" jack shit.
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 12:33:30 PM

So suddenly there is the call for scientific rigour, when the results do not match your expectations?
Awesome!

Oh and take a hint, the result wouldn't differ much if someone were to use the method you suggested.

You're funny when you try too hard: I didn't suggest any method. I simply formulated the assumption made in sarc's analysis.

And "the result wouldn't differ much"? You're kidding, I hope. Simply (yet unrealistically) assuming that, say, growth was determined by one function up to January 2013, and another one following January 2013, would probably put us into the 500? 5000? (can't be arsed to calculate this now) range right now.

Which is obviously not where we are. Hence: unrealistic assumption as well, as noted above.
sarc

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 12:36:27 PM

ok then.

Plotted using sigmaplot.

predicted price= $24.24

Smiley

But do you want to know what is the single biggest assumption

Dude, you either don't know the math behind what you do, or you're willfully obstinate to make a point: if you run a simple regression analysis like you did, you de facto work from the assumption that there is one and only function underlying those data points. Otherwise, you "identified" jack shit.

I'm only showing that there's an extremely strong underlying trend outside of bubble data, which predicts a bitcoin price much lower than it is now. No need to get antsy Smiley
MickeyT2008

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

This account was recently hacked

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 12:40:55 PM

I chucked a buy order for 120.12 @ 1 btc and it got filled..  either i got goxxed or someone else did..

Goxxed! who's got a gif
I haven't got a gif file but here's a music video about getting goxxed in the April crash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2ku1A5Ox8U
sarc

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 12:41:36 PM

So suddenly there is the call for scientific rigour, when the results do not match your expectations?
Awesome!

You're funny when you try too hard: I didn't suggest any method. I simply formulated the assumption made in sarc's analysis.

And "the result wouldn't differ much"? You're kidding, I hope. Simply (yet unrealistically) assuming that, say, growth was determined by one function up to January 2013, and another one following January 2013, would probably put us into the 500? 5000? (can't be arsed to calculate this now) range right now.

Which is obviously not where we are. Hence: unrealistic assumption as well, as noted above.

you really are missing the point. The analysis is showing that there is a consistent underlying trend - that's its point for being.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2013, 12:42:34 PM

Awesome!

One can never try too hard, when accomplishing something it doesn't matter.
I am not assuming a thing, you are accusing me of such assumption. To spell it out for you: No the course doesn't necessarily follow any trendline or exponential slope.

Trendlines and exponential slopes are common tools however to formulate models from which results an expectation. It's factual. No more or less valid than any of the other trends posted here.
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 12:43:20 PM

ok then.

Plotted using sigmaplot.

predicted price= $24.24

Smiley

I'm only showing that there's an extremely strong underlying trend outside of bubble data, which predicts a bitcoin price much lower than it is now. No need to get antsy Smiley

eh, sorry. my field (well, of sort) is foundations of mathematics, so I can get worked up over not knowing the (formal) premises of a method one uses.

anyway, I'm not even completely denying your point. I'm extremely cautious right now, and far from ruling out price will drop further. But I still consider it a distinct possibility that the fundamentals and public perception have changed enough for growth to continue from (roughly) where we are now. Time will tell.
sarc

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 12:45:24 PM

ok then.

Plotted using sigmaplot.

predicted price= $24.24

Smiley

eh, sorry. my field (well, of sort) is foundations of mathematics, so I can get worked up over not knowing the (formal) premises of a method one uses.

anyway, I'm not even completely denying your point. I'm extremely cautious right now, and far from ruling out price will drop further. But I still consider it a distinct possibility that the fundamentals and public perception have changed enough for growth to continue from (roughly) where we are now. Time will tell.

ok truce. FYI, I'm a statistical modeller.
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 12:49:04 PM

Awesome!

I am not assuming a thing, you are accusing me of such assumption. To spell it out for you: No the course doesn't necessarily follow any trendline or exponential slope.

Trendlines and exponential slopes are common tools however to formulate models from which results an expectation. It's factual. No more or less valid than any of the other trends posted here.

Last reply I'm gonna make on this topic. Promised.

Had you bothered to read my post history, you could have noticed that I *consistently* make the point that I don't believe in *the* trendline/growth function/etc governing: price = market behavior = human behavior.

Which is why I don't like it if you accuse me of selectively appllying that rigor only when it is convenient for me. I make this point all the time, when talking about bullish trendlines and bearish ones. Assuming that there is *the* magical growth function that holds once and forever is delusional, therefore any analysis that plots such a line needs to be taken with huge grains of salt. (Note: I'm not saying "should be completely dismissed")
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 12:50:43 PM

ok then.

Plotted using sigmaplot.

predicted price= $24.24

Smiley

Biology? Bioinformatics?
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2013, 12:51:28 PM

Awesome!

Last reply I'm gonna make on this topic. Promised.

Had you bothered to read my post history, you could have noticed that I *consistently* make the point that I don't believe in *the* trendline/growth function/etc governing: price = market behavior = human behavior.

Which is why I don't like it if you accuse me of selectively appllying that rigor only when it is convenient for me. I make this point all the time, when talking about bullish trendlines and bearish ones. Assuming that there is *the* magical growth function that holds once and forever is delusional, therefore any analysis that plots such a line needs to be taken with huge grains of salt. (Note: I'm not saying "should be completely dismissed")

If that is true we are in agreement.
prof7bit

Activity: 938
Merit: 500

https://youengine.io/

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2013, 12:52:54 PM

bitcoin price (logged)

Then please explain why your "bitcoin price (logged)" does not look anywhere similar (not even remotely) like any other bitcoin price log chart?
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 12:55:19 PM

bitcoin price (logged)

Then please explain why your "bitcoin price (logged)" does not look anywhere similar (not even remotely) like any other bitcoin price log chart?

It actually does. It's just that his historical data spans from the beginning of btc trading to now, while the log charts you see more often begin in January 2013.
sarc

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 12:56:59 PM

bitcoin price (logged)

dunno, maybe they're charting it wrong?

Could be a different log, could just be proportions of the chart. Time series data are often plotted on a much wider plot. Doesn't change anything of course, and the closest thing I've seen to this chart made a similar prediction.

sarc

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 12:58:25 PM

ok then.

Plotted using sigmaplot.

predicted price= $24.24

Smiley

Biology? Bioinformatics?

Behavioural biologist, but don't judge me.
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 01:01:07 PM

ok then.

Plotted using sigmaplot.

predicted price= $24.24

:)

I'm only showing that there's an extremely strong underlying trend outside of bubble data, which predicts a bitcoin price much lower than it is now. No need to get antsy :)

Biology? Bioinformatics?

Behavioural biologist, but don't judge me.

Why would I? I'm a mildly formal philosophy person, basically :P

EDIT: sorry for the off topic conversation. it's just that nothing happens right now.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1745

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 01:02:41 PM

San1ty

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 01:08:05 PM

SNIP

I just made a log chart myself since the beginning of trading and I can agree on the price target of $25-30 if you make a load of assumptions as already stated by others above.

I myself am not a believer in one trend to rule them all from the beginning of time till now, it is kind of simplistic and purely statistical.
Therefor I believe the price we are at now to be appropriate and we will go upward from here onward.
Pages: « 1 ... 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 [664] 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 ... 33285 »
  Print  

Jump to: