April 18, 2024, 12:23:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 18037 18038 18039 18040 18041 18042 18043 18044 18045 18046 18047 18048 18049 18050 18051 18052 18053 18054 18055 18056 18057 18058 18059 18060 18061 18062 18063 18064 18065 18066 18067 18068 18069 18070 18071 18072 18073 18074 18075 18076 18077 18078 18079 18080 18081 18082 18083 18084 18085 18086 [18087] 18088 18089 18090 18091 18092 18093 18094 18095 18096 18097 18098 18099 18100 18101 18102 18103 18104 18105 18106 18107 18108 18109 18110 18111 18112 18113 18114 18115 18116 18117 18118 18119 18120 18121 18122 18123 18124 18125 18126 18127 18128 18129 18130 18131 18132 18133 18134 18135 18136 18137 ... 33273 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26363263 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 7917

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 12:27:22 AM

This ad screams dump everything now.  

redacted

So it's your ad?
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 12:27:43 AM

holy crap... yea, yea it does.
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 2228

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 12:36:02 AM

That is like watching gasoline being dumped on a bonfire....

Ok, today is the day I chose not to dump everything because I am nuts. Let the games begin.
realr0ach

Activity: 924
Merit: 311

#TheGoyimKnow

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 01:02:26 AM

redacted

So it's your ad?

No, I was busy.  A Jewish "progressive" signed up for Steemt so I had to welcome him:

https://steemit.com/introduceyourself/@davidpakman/the-david-pakman-show-is-now-on-steemit

yefi
Legendary

Activity: 2842
Merit: 1510

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 01:09:20 AM

big blocks--stinky fiat

The kid on the left bears quite the resemblance to Vitalik.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 01:22:21 AM
Last edit: November 05, 2017, 05:37:59 AM by jbreher

look i'm a hypocrite like everyone else, but this ...

playground insults?

a handful of overly-entitled neckbeards either whiny-ragequit

... alone proves you are no Goebbels.

And you get heated and sweary when others swear at you. Poor quality shilling 2/10.

A fair enough observation. In my defense, I will say only that I try to be civil until treated in an uncivil manner.

But do we have a double standard here? Gavin: "ragequit!" Garzik: "ragequit!" Hearn: "ragequit!" Core devs threaten to quit if the economic majority doesn't toe their line? What else could it be?

No, you're just as you say a curmudgeon, like Ibian, like roach, like me when I don't control myself.

You don't have any arguments other than 'don't like all this modern stuff'.

Can't say that I follow your reasoning here.

Or can you account for this assertion

While I believe in BCH's long term prospects, it may be a bumpy ride. Then again, its the only one of the three that can make it through a sudden hashrate drop.

And Bitcoin Gold/GPU can fuck right off.

btc hashrate dropped 40% at first when bch came on. it made it through with slower blocks and higher fees and price went up.

For a brief period. But what if hash winter?

core devs are running round reassuring users that we can survive a 90% drop in hashrate.

And others are talking about an emergency hard fork to change the mining algorithm.

@slush is on their side, and something's happening with Francis Pouliot in Canada.
150 min blocks for a few weeks are meh.
hashrate will not decide this

It is not 'a few weeks'. It is 2016 blocks. Lessee... 2016*150 = 302,400 minutes. 5040 hours. 210 days. 7 months. If the minority hashpower chain can maintain that percentage, which is highly doubtful. Miners will likely abandon that chain for one more profitable.

and why the hate for gold/gpu?
surely you're not threatened?
it's harmless ... surely?

Not hate, but rather disdain. I have been repeatedly accused of supporting 'anything not Core'. I have here a nice opportunity to refute this perception.

Sure, anyone can create whatever they want. But this looks to me to be a simple moneygrab. Good riddance to it.

Is it possible thou dothst not knoweth that of which thou speaketh?

#archaicgrammarnazi

Touche'. I chortled.

But a wildcard that I'm expecting is the implosion of Finex.

What the fuck is this?  A complete conspiracy?  Do you have any evidence at all that this is likely beyond pure speculation that Bitfinex is getting BIG again?

Scam me once, shame on you. Scam me twice, shame on me.

You've looked into their issuance of Tethers, and a fully comfortable with the inherent risks?

without having the real umph of bitcoin - which is that it needs to be difficult to change

You do realize that The SegWit Omnibus Changeset is the single largest surviving change to the Bitcoin protocol ever, right? How do you live through the cognitive dissonance?

Never thought I'd be awarding kudos to Cobra (you know - the person who thinks Satoshi screwed up the white paper), but I enjoyed the following turn of phrase:

The unthinkable happens. A black swan. The miners are mining B2X, and for some reason.. the market begins valuing B2X higher than BTC. What’s going on? This shouldn’t be happening. The original chain begins dying a painful death, transactions accumulate quickly, and fees become outrageous. It starts to look like 2X has won. You sit there, like a Hillary Clinton supporter on election night wondering how this could have happened.

Someone like to explain to me how a chain valued at $7500 will be sold off enough to be worth less than a chain that futures price at around $1000?  

Working futures markets do not accord one of the branches with an asymmetric advantage over the other. Especially one as egregious as eradicating all tokens on this disadvantaged side altogether. You may want to factor this into your expectations regarding the so-called 'fork tokens'.

Even if not for that, the volume thereof is but a blip compared to the event - rendering it statistically worthless anyhow.

no worries, it happens. yea, i was having long term unemployment back in the day, so what little i mined ended up spent pretty quickly, much to the sorrow of my wallet.

why aren't you doing a sig campaign? you'd get a whole bitcoin within a few months, though i don't know how much longer that's gonna be possible.

Self respect is independent of economic circumstance.

JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10128

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 02:14:24 AM

touché

So, you are saying that you did not sell too many, this time?    Tongue

I ran out of BTC on GDAX 2 days ago at 7147. It would be nice to buy back .01 BTC for 68XX. However, the majority of my holdings are parked in my Trezor. So the benefit of being able to buy back less than 1% of my portfolio for a few bucks cheaper would pale in comparison to the larger loss in value to my overall portfolio. Besides, I just got a new computer with a GTX 1070. I'll be able to increase my portfolio little by little mining shitcoins.  Smiley Maybe mine BTG, when it gets released.

I was thinking of moving a little bit more BTC to Gdax, but I'm too busy playing with my new computer to be bothered making micro trades on Gdax.

O.k.  Well at least you did not run out, but you did make some choices.

Currently, I have put enough value on exchanges to sell up to $13,500-ish, and my sell orders are already set up to that amount, but if the BTC price starts getting close to that amount, or even close to $10k, I am going to have to move some more BTC onto exchanges because I do not want to get into any kind of position that I am NOT sticking with my plan and what I believe to be the best thing to do, which is to sell incrementally as the price goes up and to buy incrementally as the price goes down without ever running out of either bitcoins or cash for whichever direction the price goes.

Accordingly, it is my opinion which I have attempted to put into practice that we have to be prepared for the extremes.. and maybe we cannot be prepared for all extremes; however, the more extremes that we are prepared for then the easier it will be to adjust and accommodate smaller extremes.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 02:16:13 AM

looks like i must have used it for a sig campaign or something... but i don't remember. probably the wallet on my phone... which i don't have anymore. or... oh DAMMIT. i think it's gone for good.

hm... thanks for the gesture though.

FOUND IT! my virwox account. thanks!

Hahhahahhahaha

I like all the drama that ends with a happy ending.   Wink
arklan
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 02:17:01 AM

looks like i must have used it for a sig campaign or something... but i don't remember. probably the wallet on my phone... which i don't have anymore. or... oh DAMMIT. i think it's gone for good.

hm... thanks for the gesture though.

FOUND IT! my virwox account. thanks!

Hahhahahhahaha

I like all the drama that ends with a happy ending.   Wink

me too. that was a very stressful half hour or whatever...
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4282

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 02:21:47 AM

People need to accept things are going to go to shit for a couple months while the dust settles over SW2X.   Everyone would be better off just going to beach resort for a couple months and forgetting about the whole thing and let it all blow over.

arklan
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 02:25:54 AM

absolutely perfect use of that screenshot, jojo. Cheesy
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 02:26:27 AM

But a wildcard that I'm expecting is the implosion of Finex.

What the fuck is this?  A complete conspiracy?  Do you have any evidence at all that this is likely beyond pure speculation that Bitfinex is getting BIG again?

Scam me once, shame on you. Scam me twice, shame on me.

You've looked into their issuance of Tethers, and a fully comfortable with the inherent risks?

FUCK!!!  jbreher, you can be annoying as fuck, especially for a picnic table food stealing bear..... Thanks a lot for leaving no food for the rest of us!!!

Yeah, we have had this conversation before about exchange risk and you have been DOWN on Bitfinex, for like ever.  O.k.  Understood.

By the way, I do not hold any value on Bitfinex, because they kicked me off as being too USA related... So I am out of there... NOT by my own choice, though.

without having the real umph of bitcoin - which is that it needs to be difficult to change

You do realize that The SegWit Omnibus Changeset is the single largest surviving change to the Bitcoin protocol ever, right? How do you live through the cognitive dissonance?

You and I are probably talking at cross purposes.. so I don't really see any point to get into any kind of detailed response about this.  I think that I made my points in my earlier post, and now you are trying to scramble them into nonsense, and further your "segwit omnibus changeset" nonsense..   I even had a hard time typing such a nonsensical framing from your nonsense little picnic food eating bear head..

jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4282

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 02:32:33 AM

(check that wallet btw)

respect
bones261
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1826

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 02:39:42 AM

You know, with the S2X fork, just because the pool operators are signaling doesn't mean the independent miners are going to stick around and actually mine the S2X fork. The independent miners are not serfs. They are free to point their hash to any pool they like. You think many independent miners are going to stick to a pool mining S2X fork, if it's more profitable to mine on the original chain? Sure, I know Jihan and friends have huge farms. However, Jihan and friends are already devoting at least 500 PH to keep BCH above water. How much more do they have to devote to S2X?
Ver and DCG better pump this S2X up if they expect this to succeed at all.
pfrtlpfmpf

Activity: 420
Merit: 257

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 03:45:09 AM

Is bitcoin a bubble ?

https://medium.com/@mfishbein/bitcoin-bubble-96eb9358447c

When we´re at 5000, we think 6000 is expensive. When we´re at 6000, we think 7000 is expensive, and so on.

But i have no problem with predictions of tens and hundreds of thousands. It´s entirely possible. We´re just in the middle of finding out, where the real value of bitcoin is, and considering that this process only just started, i feel very comfortable up to now !

Only thing is, i sold to much, so a little correction would be fine with me  Smiley

Rosewater Foundation

Activity: 392
Merit: 254

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 04:14:15 AM

Self respect is independent of economic circumstance.

Not in any world I've ever seen. There's no dignity in poverty. Not a shred.

Only thing is, i sold to much, so a little correction would be fine with me  Smiley

Pearls before swine. Cry
ahmedjadoon
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 04:44:57 AM

Are we hitting 10k mark soon?
LewisPirenne

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 04:56:37 AM

Mining isn't a charity and it's not like NYA actually agreed to subsidize miners to point their hashrate at S2X chain.  So people are only going mine the more profitable chain.  

In fact, I find it interesting that Jihan Wu did not go thru the usual "blame Blockstream" routine in his interview.  He actually said that he is indifferent when it comes to tech issues such as scaling roadmap, segwit, etc..  He reserves the criticisms for Theymos, which is just down right bizarre.  Going so far as to answer, "You will have to ask Theymos for that", when asked which implementation does he think will end up being called Bitcoin in the end.  

Of course, it could be that Jihan and Roger Ver has little credibility when it comes to technical issues, as the Core team is widely recognized as being the one with most tech credential and IQ (though with low EQ).  Or Jihan could simply be backtracking a bit, not wanting to be blamed when S2X fork end up being a total clusterfook.  

After all, bitcoin's marketcap is now $100 billion and up 10x since the time when scaling debate really got heated.  So even if Jihan could not give a fook about the users, he has to care about some of the biggest VC names in the Silicon Valley, who had just given him $50 million.  If S2X turns out to be a disaster, Jihan will be blamed for the huge drop in bitcoin price and lose whatever little credibility he has in the industry.  Obviously, he does not want that.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 06:01:25 AM

Mining isn't a charity and it's not like NYA actually agreed to subsidize miners to point their hashrate at S2X chain.  So people are only going mine the more profitable chain.  

In fact, I find it interesting that Jihan Wu did not go thru the usual "blame Blockstream" routine in his interview.  He actually said that he is indifferent when it comes to tech issues such as scaling roadmap, segwit, etc..  He reserves the criticisms for Theymos, which is just down right bizarre.  Going so far as to answer, "You will have to ask Theymos for that", when asked which implementation does he think will end up being called Bitcoin in the end.  

Of course, it could be that Jihan and Roger Ver has little credibility when it comes to technical issues, as the Core team is widely recognized as being the one with most tech credential and IQ (though with low EQ).  Or Jihan could simply be backtracking a bit, not wanting to be blamed when S2X fork end up being a total clusterfook.  

After all, bitcoin's marketcap is now $100 billion and up 10x since the time when scaling debate really got heated.  So even if Jihan could not give a fook about the users, he has to care about some of the biggest VC names in the Silicon Valley, who had just given him $50 million.  If S2X turns out to be a disaster, Jihan will be blamed for the huge drop in bitcoin price and lose whatever little credibility he has in the industry.  Obviously, he does not want that.

But that could be his PLAN, IF price dumps badly ..he can be part of a btc roundtable like he was on the LTC roundtable...and reach consensus...in the mean time (just like LTC0 he has
all this NICE cheap crypto of any flavor again to scoop up....like he did wiht LTC.....now he could pull same stunt with BTC (or hell BCH for that manner) win/win/win

He comes out looking like a hero with others...forced to consensus due to massive price dump (assuming consensus was reached on a really big price dump and controversy) and clean up buying more coin low and it all rebounds off the FUD

bitmain: (we do evil well!) tm bitmain

kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 09:02:29 AM
Last edit: November 05, 2017, 09:24:51 AM by kurious

But that could be his PLAN, IF price dumps badly ..he can be part of a btc roundtable like he was on the LTC roundtable...and reach consensus...in the mean time (just like LTC0 he has
all this NICE cheap crypto of any flavor again to scoop up....like he did wiht LTC.....now he could pull same stunt with BTC (or hell BCH for that manner) win/win/win

He comes out looking like a hero with others...forced to consensus due to massive price dump (assuming consensus was reached on a really big price dump and controversy) and clean up buying more coin low and it all rebounds off the FUD

bitmain: (we do evil well!) tm bitmain

This is a plausible scenario. He has deep pockets and can play a long game.

Everyone involved at the top of this game must be gaming all scenarios. The attack depends entirely on BTC hashing power moving so that blocks are slowed up because miners are tempted to move for more profitable chains and users become confused and panicked and move (or dump) too. This is why S2X has timed it for just before a big difficulty hike.

Jihan will want this battle to play out in his favour of course, BTC being in trouble means his position could be improved massively.

If Core is in trouble or even dented then a land grab possibility will exist and power might shift. This is what the attackers want.

This is not a free money drop, it is a battle for who controls Bitcoin.
Pages: « 1 ... 18037 18038 18039 18040 18041 18042 18043 18044 18045 18046 18047 18048 18049 18050 18051 18052 18053 18054 18055 18056 18057 18058 18059 18060 18061 18062 18063 18064 18065 18066 18067 18068 18069 18070 18071 18072 18073 18074 18075 18076 18077 18078 18079 18080 18081 18082 18083 18084 18085 18086 [18087] 18088 18089 18090 18091 18092 18093 18094 18095 18096 18097 18098 18099 18100 18101 18102 18103 18104 18105 18106 18107 18108 18109 18110 18111 18112 18113 18114 18115 18116 18117 18118 18119 18120 18121 18122 18123 18124 18125 18126 18127 18128 18129 18130 18131 18132 18133 18134 18135 18136 18137 ... 33273 »
  Print  

Jump to: