April 25, 2024, 12:24:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 3770 3771 3772 3773 3774 3775 3776 3777 3778 3779 3780 3781 3782 3783 3784 3785 3786 3787 3788 3789 3790 3791 3792 3793 3794 3795 3796 3797 3798 3799 3800 3801 3802 3803 3804 3805 3806 3807 3808 3809 3810 3811 3812 3813 3814 3815 3816 3817 3818 3819 [3820] 3821 3822 3823 3824 3825 3826 3827 3828 3829 3830 3831 3832 3833 3834 3835 3836 3837 3838 3839 3840 3841 3842 3843 3844 3845 3846 3847 3848 3849 3850 3851 3852 3853 3854 3855 3856 3857 3858 3859 3860 3861 3862 3863 3864 3865 3866 3867 3868 3869 3870 ... 33300 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26367685 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:05:51 PM

Even if global warming is not mankind related, that doesn't change the fact that it is happening.

However; I do believe that mankind has a big influence on the current global warming.
So a good start is changing mankinds behavior and lower carbon emission.

Furthermore; we can still try to develop the technology to counter the effect of global warming, even when it is not mankind related.

Sticking your head in the sand, will not make the problem go away!

There is no actual 'global warming' going on during the past 10 years, so now they renamed it to just 'Climate Change'. I have spent time doing research at a University, I know how it works and really all I can say is that our climate is far too complex to be fully grasped by our current state of science. Don't overestimate how much science actually can predict and explain, it's useful yes but it also has its flaws and limits.

I have no doubt that humanity is not managing the earth's resources very well and we are effectively destroying our environment, but trying to lower carbon emissions isn't going to help one bit. It only serves as another way to tax so governments can stick themselves deeper into debt. What has to happen is to stop our obsession with economic 'growth', because that's what makes us deplete resources faster and faster eventually leading to a catastrophy.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bambou

Activity: 346
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:06:35 PM

Even if global warming is not mankind related, that doesn't change the fact that it is happening.

However; I do believe that mankind has a big influence on the current global warming.

Furthermore; we can still try to develop the technology to counter the effect of global warming, even when it is not mankind related.

Sticking your head in the sand, will not make the problem go away!

+1

heard of solar cycles? *if* thats the real deal, i doubt there is anything we can do. imo fukushima's radioactivity disaster is far more critical yet nothing has been successfully done to make it better. hell we dont even talk about it in the mainstream media anymore. WTF  Undecided

i am telling you, dont listen to those sold scientists who only focus on subjects that pays alot (and are advertised by the media a lot more - obviously because of the money they generate) but arent as critical as many other.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:08:07 PM

You can't fight nature. It will also win given enough time.
hmmmstrange

Activity: 669
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:17:36 PM

@Mad Scientist: Sorry for calling you "bat shit crazy". I don't know you, so I'm probably wrong. But climate science simply isn't a scam. It's a properly executed research topic. There are still open questions, true, but the basic results are almost universally accepted by the scientists inside the field, and fields close to it: (1) global warming is taking place, (2) a significant cause for (1) is man made. Like I said, details are open for debate and not agreed upon in the field, and most importantly, it is not clear what are the *consequences* to be drawn from the findings, but the whole "global warming is a scam" idea is deeply offending to anyone who ever set a foot into a university and/or worked in research himself

I remember as a kid in 1980 or thereabouts, it was all about global cooling. The "scientists" were minutes away from covering the artic caps with soot to absorb more radiation to prevent the ice age we are having now.
nesevis

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:19:05 PM
Last edit: March 03, 2015, 02:36:57 PM by nesevis

Well... I'll still place my 2-satoshis on the scientific process of systematic empiricism getting it right this time as well. Remember folks, science gave you bitcoins!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_change#Human_influences
bambou

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:22:49 PM

@Mad Scientist: Sorry for calling you "bat shit crazy". I don't know you, so I'm probably wrong. But climate science simply isn't a scam. It's a properly executed research topic. There are still open questions, true, but the basic results are almost universally accepted by the scientists inside the field, and fields close to it: (1) global warming is taking place, (2) a significant cause for (1) is man made. Like I said, details are open for debate and not agreed upon in the field, and most importantly, it is not clear what are the *consequences* to be drawn from the findings, but the whole "global warming is a scam" idea is deeply offending to anyone who ever set a foot into a university and/or worked in research himself

I remember as a kid in 1980 or thereabouts, it was all about global cooling. The "scientists" were minutes away from covering the artic caps with soot to absorb more radiation to prevent the ice age we are having now.

lol Cheesy
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 2113

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:25:12 PM

The unequal distribution of coins can discourage adoption ...

What is the argument or evidence for this?
Personal experience, most people I know, I am the exception, feel that they don't want to invest because it feels like a ponzi they think if they buy 1 or 2 coins someone with 10,000 can just destroy there value and so are unwilling to take the plunge. They think the early investors in apple or the like deserve the return but Bitcoin is a couple of orders of magnitude too high to be reasonable. Result they don't invest.

Conversely, many people may be looking to altcoins. They think it's "Too late" to get into Bitcoin so they are jumping on things like the awful dogecoin. When that starts to stagnate and doesn't show the returns they want, the money will flood into Bitcoin. So we'll see another period of slow change followed by another insane leap on the inevitable demise of 95-98% of alt.
mellowyellow

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:37:12 PM

There is a live conference going on in China atm, they just said

"Japanese public television:
There is a question about bitcoin, as China's central bank on Bitcoin development in China how to treat? Do you think bitcoin will bring what risks? The Chinese government should prohibit the use of bitcoins it?
2014-01-15 12:22:09
Shengsong Cheng:
About Bitcoin problems, the People's Bank and other five ministries jointly issued a notice, I would like to emphasize, first, we propose, is not the true meaning of bitcoin currency. Second, we prompt the Bitcoin risk and made the request.
Bitcoin is a specific virtual goods. What I understand is called money? The first is the medium of exchange currency is widely accepted by society as a whole medium for the exchange of commodities. Monetary developments in the history of thousands of years, once the physical currency, the final form of physical currency is gold and silver. Like Marx said natural gold is money. The most essential characteristic of money is a medium of exchange and measure of value. Itself to be valuable, so it can be denominated. Since gold production is limited, it can not meet the growing social and economic development, so the gold standard collapsed. From the later seventies of last century, the world monetary credit system completely behind monetary credit system is a powerful force of national credit and forced the country, so we put the national currency, credit currency called legal tender.
2014-01-15 12:22:27
Shengsong Cheng:
We take a look at Bitcoin, Bitcoin is not having the characteristics of these currencies? As far as I know, the vast majority of countries do not recognize the Bitcoin currency status. Currency in circulation in addition to the media, the value of scale functions, there is a very important function is denominated instruments. Bitcoin itself is not denominated in the currency, nor as the quote currency is possible. Plunged wild speculation "currency" can be used as currency it? Bitcoin transactions for good, good investment, you need to pay attention to its risk. People's Bank and the relevant departments will continue to focus on the movements of Bitcoin and associated risks, strengthen the monitoring, analysis, and guide the public to establish a correct concept of money and investment philosophy. Thank you.
"

I don't really know what this means. I used google translate on this page:-

http://www.china.com.cn/zhibo/2014-01/15/content_31172976.htm

aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:38:55 PM

i am french.... it seems the politics have finally understood that ... it could give an advantage to the early ...regulators.

Yup, you're french alright.
aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:42:02 PM

I rarely feel as bearish about the future of Bitcoin as when I realize how many batshit crazy rightwingers are attracted to it :/

Every army needs cannonfodder.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 03:43:10 PM

"Just leave" is a poor solution, especially when I am in one of the most population dense areas in my state.  I probably am moving elsewhere when I finish my degree, but that won't help the millions of people that have no option to but to live with the situation (most people in my state are too poor to even think about moving).  Ultimately lack of population density is the main problem, but at least with common carrier lines there was the possibility of smaller fish focusing on service to clean up the scraps left by the whales.  Without such options, I am currently a scrap that can only access the internet though my phone or by visiting a friend.

Seriously, just get tethered. Even if you only have to pay for one month, it'd be worth it (if you don't know how to do it for free)

I didn't say to leave, didn't advise you at all actually, just noticed that your priorities are different than mine.  I need highly available networks.  I just wouldn't remain in a place that didn't have multiple network options.
Yes, tethering is one of my go-to options.  Just one network link is a failure state waiting to happen.

And...It beats hoping the feds will be "helpful" with new regulation.
bambou

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:45:09 PM

i am french.... it seems the politics have finally understood that ... it could give an advantage to the early ...regulators.

?! this means that the first countries which will provide a clear and fair frame for it instead of banning it are likely to boost their economies. thats all.

proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:46:47 PM

There is a question about bitcoin, as China's central bank on Bitcoin development in China how to treat? Do you think bitcoin will bring what risks? The Chinese government should prohibit the use of bitcoins it?
Shengsong Cheng:
About Bitcoin problems, the People's Bank and other five ministries jointly issued a notice, I would like to emphasize, first, we propose, is not the true meaning of bitcoin currency. Second, we prompt the Bitcoin risk and made the request.
Bitcoin is a specific virtual goods. What I understand is called money? The first is the medium of exchange currency is widely accepted by society as a whole medium for the exchange of commodities. Monetary developments in the history of thousands of years, once the physical currency, the final form of physical currency is gold and silver. Like Marx said natural gold is money. The most essential characteristic of money is a medium of exchange and measure of value. Itself to be valuable, so it can be denominated. Since gold production is limited, it can not meet the growing social and economic development, so the gold standard collapsed. From the later seventies of last century, the world monetary credit system completely behind monetary credit system is a powerful force of national credit and forced the country, so we put the national currency, credit currency called legal tender.
Shengsong Cheng:
We take a look at Bitcoin, Bitcoin is not having the characteristics of these currencies? As far as I know, the vast majority of countries do not recognize the Bitcoin currency status. Currency in circulation in addition to the media, the value of scale functions, there is a very important function is denominated instruments. Bitcoin itself is not denominated in the currency, nor as the quote currency is possible. Plunged wild speculation "currency" can be used as currency it? Bitcoin transactions for good, good investment, you need to pay attention to its risk. People's Bank and the relevant departments will continue to focus on the movements of Bitcoin and associated risks, strengthen the monitoring, analysis, and guide the public to establish a correct concept of money and investment philosophy. Thank you.
"

I read the Chinese version and basically it says don't buy bitcoins, sodl all your bitcoins if you have any, and if you don't have any then shotr at maximum margin.

Edit:  Just wanted to say that my interpretation has been confirmed by sources.
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:51:48 PM

ODA,
I consider myself a conservative and I am in your camp. I have seen the research and have no doubts that there is climate change as a result of man.  Not all of us are bat shit crazy   lol  I feel your frustration though.  I feel one of the problems is people dont understand its climate "change" and "extremes" not just warming.  any way just wanted you to know you have at least one friend on your side that is a "right winger" and I am doing my best to spread the word.

Haha, and I apologize for equating "conservative" and "anti-science"/"anti-intellectual"... it's not a contradiction at all... just that the US Republican party is having a hard time for some time now combining the two. I blame the Kochs and the teabaggers Cheesy

This is partly because the Republican party decided to partner with the Christian Right back in the Reagan years (a losing proposition with religion on the decline and the increasing social liberalization since the war years ) and partly because so many of them are mercenary fucks with no principles.
aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:53:08 PM

?! this means that the first countries which will provide a clear and fair frame for it instead of banning it are likely to boost their economies. thats all.

Being French, red tape comes naturally to you, and you may not perceive immediately what a red cape you have waved.

I consider myself rationally goal-directed; I perceive regulation as damage, and route around it.  Damage is unavoidable, but highly undesirable.  If damaged severely enough I will die.  

NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 03:57:32 PM

Shengsong Cheng:
Shengsong Cheng:
"

I read the Chinese version and basically it says don't buy bitcoins, sodl all your bitcoins if you have any, and if you don't have any then shotr at maximum margin.

Edit:  Just wanted to say that my interpretation has been confirmed by sources.

It is closer to "we the wise government understand things, the little people do not understand things and so need to be protected from risky things like bitcoin by us the wise government, gib dem to usssss"
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:57:38 PM

The methods being proposed to "lower carbon emissions" would be devastating to the world economy, lead to the death of millions from reduced quality of living conditions and could lead to technological slump that we, as a race, might never recover from.

I happen to be somewhat skeptical on global warming (agnostic rather than denier) but even if its true, our response to it needs to be cautious and closely monitored. AGW advocates often espouse the precautionary principle but the precautionary principle tells us not to drastically change the way we're doing things without good cause.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 04:00:23 PM

The methods being proposed to "lower carbon emissions" would be devastating to the world economy, lead to the death of millions from reduced quality of living conditions and could lead to technological slump that we, as a race, might never recover from.

I happen to be somewhat skeptical on global warming (agnostic rather than denier) but even if its true, our response to it needs to be cautious and closely monitored. AGW advocates often espouse the precautionary principle but the precautionary principle tells us not to drastically change the way we're doing things without good cause.

You do have to admit, it is the best excuse TPTB have come up with for total world government takeover yet.
aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:02:45 PM

This is partly because the Republican party decided to partner with the Christian Right back in the Reagan years (a losing proposition with religion on the decline and the increasing social liberalization since the war years ) and partly because so many of them are mercenary fucks with no principles.

"partner"?  You've got to be kidding me.  "Suckerpunch" is more like it.  Like I said, every army needs cannonfodder.  The raison d'etre for evangelical american christianity's entanglement with the republican party was unitary:  Deterring abortion.  This was dangled as a carrot by the slug-lords of the mammon party, but what happened when the presidency and both the house and the senate were all in republican control?  Nothing.  They could have passed a law defining the criteria for human life, without the tiniest speedbump of opposition during that 2 years.  They did nothing.   The only real purpose accomplished by the entanglement of christendom with the political "right" in the u.s. during the past 40 years was turning "evangelical" into a term of oppobrium, and forming an association in the public mind between christianity and the aligned forces of murder, rapine, and pillage.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1745

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:02:49 PM

Explanation
Pages: « 1 ... 3770 3771 3772 3773 3774 3775 3776 3777 3778 3779 3780 3781 3782 3783 3784 3785 3786 3787 3788 3789 3790 3791 3792 3793 3794 3795 3796 3797 3798 3799 3800 3801 3802 3803 3804 3805 3806 3807 3808 3809 3810 3811 3812 3813 3814 3815 3816 3817 3818 3819 [3820] 3821 3822 3823 3824 3825 3826 3827 3828 3829 3830 3831 3832 3833 3834 3835 3836 3837 3838 3839 3840 3841 3842 3843 3844 3845 3846 3847 3848 3849 3850 3851 3852 3853 3854 3855 3856 3857 3858 3859 3860 3861 3862 3863 3864 3865 3866 3867 3868 3869 3870 ... 33300 »
  Print  

Jump to: