April 24, 2024, 09:43:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 11705 11706 11707 11708 11709 11710 11711 11712 11713 11714 11715 11716 11717 11718 11719 11720 11721 11722 11723 11724 11725 11726 11727 11728 11729 11730 11731 11732 11733 11734 11735 11736 11737 11738 11739 11740 11741 11742 11743 11744 11745 11746 11747 11748 11749 11750 11751 11752 11753 11754 [11755] 11756 11757 11758 11759 11760 11761 11762 11763 11764 11765 11766 11767 11768 11769 11770 11771 11772 11773 11774 11775 11776 11777 11778 11779 11780 11781 11782 11783 11784 11785 11786 11787 11788 11789 11790 11791 11792 11793 11794 11795 11796 11797 11798 11799 11800 11801 11802 11803 11804 11805 ... 33297 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26367115 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
SilenceOfTheLamb

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 03:00:55 PM

... there are people who actually have interesting lifes and would not mind extending them even if it is not eternal.

Hal Finney's brain certainly agrees with you Undecided

Anyhow, most would also like to be the richest, the smartest, the best looking & the happiest being on this planet.  Sadly, that's not possible for everyone, so the majority remains disappointed.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
12345mm

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 03:06:38 PM

just remember , to pull it off ... you'll either have to exist as a freaky self aware robot (transfer consciousness into artificial brain/body) ... or as something that closely resembles a borg (nanotechnology and cybernetic implants to force some extra time out of your organic being) ... in general , the sort of thing nightmares are made of ...
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 03:21:04 PM
Last edit: March 22, 2015, 03:35:10 PM by JorgeStolfi

Natural evolution does not "want" eternal organisms, not even eternal species; it "wants" life to constantly evolve.
Death is a feature, not a bug.  It evolved in the last billion years together with sex and reproduction, as a way to clear up space for new individuals.

You provide no arguments that eternal youthfulness is not feasible, you only state that it is indesirable for a species.

I would not say "undesirable".  I put "want" in quotes because species and natural evolution have no desires (thanks Lamb for seeing that  Wink)  It is just that being mortal is part of being what we are.  

Personally, I think it is very desirable for an individual, and probably for society as well.

It may be hard to believe, but, after a certain point in life, that desire usually goes away.

But yes, we generally hate succumbing to old age and death, just like we hate getting sick and weak.  That wish must be a naturally evolved trait too, like "you must leave soon, but, as long as you are here, you must try to be as useful as you can" --- and that includes remaining as fit and healthy as you can.

It is not different from how companies treat their older employees.  Indeed, retirement is the corporate version of natural death.  It was invented not for the good of the individual, but for the good of the company: a barely delicate way to remove the old guys whom no one dares to fire, and open space for new blood.

2) Aging is not a 'planned removal of individuals'.  Please describe how the gradual loss of strength, memory functions, etc..  is evolutionary positive.  How does the presence of elderly people that need help for everything benefit society?  Wouldn't evolution program death in a way that individuals suddenly drop dead after a certain time?

A finite lifetime is nature's solution to make space for new individuals.  Aging is a consequence of that.

I do believe that the evolutionary need for a long-living individual wasn't very high (partially because most individuals died much sooner), so our metabolic programming isn't perfected to keep cells functioning forever, resulting in wear and tear.

Yes.  

Natural evolution is constrained by the laws of physics.  Organisms in most species are optimized to very tight margins, the result of millions of tradeoffs.  We cannot have bigger brains, for example, because that would require many structural changes to the body, different wiring plans, longer learning times.  A bigger brain would need more oxygen and food, hence better ways to get those things there, and would consume more energy.  Anyone who knows something about computers knows that you cannot make a modern processor by taking the design of a 386 and merely tacking more transistors to it, or increasing its clock speed.

A bigger brain might even make us dumber, because signals would take longer to propagate between different parts. (The data processing part of brain is actually the gray matter, a bladder about 1 foot across and 2-3 mm thick; the white matter is just wiring between different parts of this bladder, and the bladder is crumpled up into our skulls both for mechanical reasons and to keep those wires as short as possible.)

The body must not only function, it must also build, adjust, and repair itself.  Thousands of our genes get turned on only on specific cells for specific number of generations, or when those cells get specific chemical signals or other stimuli.  Some genes get turned on only when we are 13-14 years old, to set up and turn on the reproduction machinery; and some may get turned on at later age when that machinery is not longer needed and should be shut off.  

For each body part, nature must choose between making that part more durable and repairable, or using the necessary resources for some other purpose.  So, the cells that are destined to become sperm and eggs get better materials, more protection, more redundancy than cells that are destined to die with the individual.  Bones, muscles and skin are capable of repairing some damage; but only to a certain extent --- not every possible kind of damage, not damage that is too extensive or repeated too often.  Apparently, building the brain and nervous system is already such a demanding task that nature basically gave up on making it self-repairing, other than provide some redundancy and fungibility.

So, once nature "invented" the death of the individual, all parts of the body, and the mechanisms for development, maintenance and repair, got optimized assuming about the same mean lifetime.  That happens with human desiged objects, too: each part of a car is made only as durable as needed to last for the expected lifetime of the car.  It would not make sense to make seats of a high-tech material that could last 50 years, if the engine, crankcase, and metal shell are unlikely to be usable in 10 years.

In many species, that have been evolving for millions of years in the same environment, things have evolved to the point that death comes suddenly at a fixed age. For other species, mostly plants (and perhaps some fish), evolution apparently has found it unnecessary to provide for natural death, since long life happened to have advantageous (e.g. taller trees get more light) and accidental death was sufficient to open space.  For most vertebrates, however, the tradeoffs implied a finite but not strictly determined design lifetime.

Actually it seems that, for millions of years, we evolved for a lifestyle like that of chimpanzees, only perhaps in a more open environment like a savannah.  The invention of hunting weapons, fire and clothing changed our lifestyle a lot; we only had a couple hundred million years to adapt our bodies to that change, when the invention of agriculture some 12000 years ago turned our life upside down again.  Our bodies and mind are totally not adapted to our present evironment, and may never have a chance to become so.

Nature does not care for our sadness at seeing out bodies and mind falter.  However, in the millions of years before the first technological explosion, life did end suddenly for most hominids.  As soon as some key function became to falter, the probability of an accidental death -- being eaten by a lion, or falling from a cliff, or catching a fatal infection -- would skyrocket.  The expected lifetime for early humans may have been as low as 35 years or even less.  For the species, it was good (and sufficient) to let a few lucky survivors reach a more advanced age, to keep memories that might be useful in case of rare events like droughts and earthquakes.

(The Andaman islands between India and Myanmar are the home of the Pigmy-like Negritos, one of the few human populations that have changed little since the last ice age.  The islands were devastated by the tsunamis caused by the big Indonesian earthquake, years ago.  People feared that the Negritos may have been wiped out; but they survived fine, because their elders knew that tsunamis often come after a earthquake, so they all fled to high ground well before the waves arrived.)

Your reasonings sound like rationalisations to calm the mind to me ("I shouldn't worry, everything is as it should be, everything has a reason")

Not at all. I am as unhappy at getting old as anyone else.  I am just pointing out that eternal youth (which implies eternal life) is a rather complicated concept, perhaps a meaningless one.

Does it make sense to wish for a car that will last forever?

Does it make sense to wish for your dear Volkswagen Beetle to last forever?
SilenceOfTheLamb

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 03:22:11 PM

just remember , to pull it off ... you'll either have to exist as a freaky self aware robot (transfer consciousness into artificial brain/body) ... or as something that closely resembles a borg (nanotechnology and cybernetic implants to force some extra time out of your organic being) ... in general , the sort of thing nightmares are made of ...

Or as a self-replicating bot, transferring its thoughts & best qualities to its iterations.  Sort of like what we have going on now Smiley
*Just think of an individual as a cell of "mankind" body--cells die & are replaced, as worn-out parts are replaced in a car ==> potentially ad infinitum Cheesy
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 03:24:04 PM

Ive battled with the concept of eternal life since i was 8 and had a bad dream... I think it will be possible thru evolution wither technological or biological
hmmkay

Activity: 306
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 03:28:33 PM

Ive battled with the concept of eternal life since i was 8 and had a bad dream... I think it will be possible thru evolution wither technological or biological

Reincarnation with clear memory of previous lives is how it works. We're just not there/ready yet.
SilenceOfTheLamb

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 03:29:32 PM

... Pigmy-like Negritos...

Racist! Angry

https://derpicdn.net/media/W1siZiIsIjIwMTMvMDgvMDkvMjBfMjVfNDdfMTE0XzM5NTgxMl9fc2FmZV9xdWVlbl9jaHJ5c2FsaXMiXV0/395812__safe_queen%2Bchrysalis.png
BrewCrewFan

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 03:32:14 PM

Well good to see the bears used some bad news to cave the price a few days ago. I guess it was just used as an excuse to drive the price down because if the news was really all that bad we would be sub 225 me thinks. Instead holding steady @ 260 ish
SilenceOfTheLamb

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 03:36:55 PM

...if the news was really all that bad we would be sub 225 me thinks...

Doesn't work like that (See: dead companies still trading on Havelock >0).  Takes time for folks to absorb the full hilarity of what they've done, man up & admit they're wrong.
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 03:46:52 PM

Actually they are a most remarkable people, much more "optimized" than we are.  And they obviously know it:
[NSFW]https://web.archive.org/web/20080617201322/http://www.andaman.org/BOOK/chapter1/Senti-man.jpg
empowering
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1441

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 03:52:17 PM
Last edit: March 22, 2015, 04:04:43 PM by empowering

I would not be surprised at all in the slightest, if the first human that will live to be 500 plus years old, is already alive today.

All that needs to happen is medical technology keeps them alive for the next 50 years, then in 50 years time the tech is around to keep them alive for another 50 years, at that point the technology should be around to keep the person alive another 50 years, at this point the person (assuming they are 30 now, will be 180 , in 150 years time I imagine we will have the tech to keep a 180 year old alive for another 100 years, and then another.

As for it not being desirable, or human, I believe it to be both.

Sure it will mean all sorts of changes for society and the way we live,  no doubt, some positive and some negative, and society will no doubt struggle to keep up, but that will not stop it from happening.

We have already done life extension, as a race, and we will of course without any doubt, continue to do so, and we will get better at it, and it is feasible it will happen in many of our lifetimes.

What happens when we can be loaded into virtual space, or loaded into an avatar?

If we can escape the effects of physical aging, or extend our healthy lifespan, or all together bypass death, then yes I can see the argument that we would become depressed, bored etc but I think this is akin to going back to pre neanderthal man, basically monkeys, and asking them what being a human would be like in the future,  the monkey would have no clue, and if you tried to explain french or art or physics etc to the monkey, the monkey would not have a clue what you are on about, literally the concepts would not fit.

Basically we would adapt, and evolve, as life does, we would create new education, new mechanisms, new understandings, new philosophy, new stages to life, it would change everything, but that has never ever stopped humans from doing anything, and that is not going to change now.

Life extension, to an extreme level, is pretty much inevitable, it is just a case of when, not if. I think it is all together a very common human desire to be alive and healthy, I think it is going to be possible to extend lifespan from a technological point of view. So when you couple those two facts together, you are just left with the WHEN we will get there, and not IF.  So really as a society we need to start working on ways to deal with this technology, and its implications for society/humanity.

I wonder how many young parents are aware that their child may live to be 100s of years old...

We may even, extend our own lives, to extreme levels,  if we can stay alive another 35- 50 years or so.

Personally I am totally up for it.

empowering
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 03:56:33 PM

Biological and technological evolution are going to become one in the same thing (or you could say they always were the same thing)
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1745

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 03:58:58 PM

Coin
Explanation
SilenceOfTheLamb

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 04:05:08 PM

I would not be surprised at all in the slightest, if the first human that will live to be 500 plus years old, is already alive today.

http://www.michaelemberley.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/MaybeABearAteIt-web001.jpg
empowering
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 04:07:48 PM

lambystuff

fascinating....
networthsigns

Activity: 448

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 04:08:51 PM

Reincarnation with clear memory of previous lives is how it works. We're just not there/ready yet.

We are there now but they are the few spiritual masters who have found enlightenment, if you have ever read anything from the spiritual masters this is what they work towards their hole life, to travel the bardo's and be fully aware of ones self upon death and become enlightened at which point you can choose to come back to this plane of existence with full knowledge of all previous lives and teach others to do the same. If you seek you shall find we are there but only for those that work and achieve it.  
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 04:10:12 PM

lambystuff

fascinating....

Kind of a ham-handed seque to be sure Grin
tarmi
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 04:12:22 PM

somebody buy those asks with leveraged money already.

please do it.
12345mm

Activity: 406

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 04:13:33 PM

i see a likely path towards extended life beginning with genetic manipulation prior to birth , basically turning off aging related genes , which is something that has been demonstrated already in lab settings - this might double individual human life expectancy , pushing us into the 150 yr land ... this would be possible within the relatively near future , say , 50-100 years or so , depending on general public sentiment / laws regarding human genome modification ... but wouldn't help anyone live longer who aren't embryos ... meanwhile advances in more traditional medicine the simple ability to treat ailments and diseases , the possibility to print or grow replacement organs might up that 150 to 200 ... beyond that , there really wouldn't be another option that wouldn't be "invasive" so we'd be looking first at internal cybernetics , since we kindof already have some advances in that department , pacemakers , artificial hips , etc - essentially you'd be looking at supplemental artificial organs to further extend life ... nano-tech to support cell function and immune system would probably be next , mostly because you could still look like a non-modified human being ... next up would be external cybernetics , depending on people's willingness to become more and more machine than man out of desire for extra years of life ... this could push life expectancy anywhere from 300-1000 years ... who knows how long it'd take to develop tech like that ... but at some point you'd resemble a head on a robot/cyborg body , more or less... the step of mapping every neuron and the movement of all the electrical impulses of a human brain in real time AND having the ability to transfer a copy of that exact pattern into a sufficiently advanced artificial brain is probably the furthest down the timeline , by a lot ... probably none of us will ever see the day that any of these possibilities becomes a reality , with the possible exception of having great grandchildren that'll live to be 150 ...
Boooooooooring

Activity: 1

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 04:14:10 PM

http://www.bigskywords.com/uploads/1/2/8/0/12804055/6951653_orig.jpg?230
Pages: « 1 ... 11705 11706 11707 11708 11709 11710 11711 11712 11713 11714 11715 11716 11717 11718 11719 11720 11721 11722 11723 11724 11725 11726 11727 11728 11729 11730 11731 11732 11733 11734 11735 11736 11737 11738 11739 11740 11741 11742 11743 11744 11745 11746 11747 11748 11749 11750 11751 11752 11753 11754 [11755] 11756 11757 11758 11759 11760 11761 11762 11763 11764 11765 11766 11767 11768 11769 11770 11771 11772 11773 11774 11775 11776 11777 11778 11779 11780 11781 11782 11783 11784 11785 11786 11787 11788 11789 11790 11791 11792 11793 11794 11795 11796 11797 11798 11799 11800 11801 11802 11803 11804 11805 ... 33297 »
  Print  

Jump to: