April 23, 2024, 07:31:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 11706 11707 11708 11709 11710 11711 11712 11713 11714 11715 11716 11717 11718 11719 11720 11721 11722 11723 11724 11725 11726 11727 11728 11729 11730 11731 11732 11733 11734 11735 11736 11737 11738 11739 11740 11741 11742 11743 11744 11745 11746 11747 11748 11749 11750 11751 11752 11753 11754 11755 [11756] 11757 11758 11759 11760 11761 11762 11763 11764 11765 11766 11767 11768 11769 11770 11771 11772 11773 11774 11775 11776 11777 11778 11779 11780 11781 11782 11783 11784 11785 11786 11787 11788 11789 11790 11791 11792 11793 11794 11795 11796 11797 11798 11799 11800 11801 11802 11803 11804 11805 11806 ... 33295 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26366596 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
empowering
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1441

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 04:21:14 PM

"Waste and stupidity get you the worst, that’s what he said. Use this time and it’ll temper you. Now’s the hardest test—not letting rage and frustration keep you from thinking. It’s the core of whether you can command or not.”

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
macsga
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1002

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 04:38:03 PM

i see a likely path towards extended life beginning with genetic manipulation prior to birth , basically turning off aging related genes , which is something that has been demonstrated already in lab settings - this might double individual human life expectancy , pushing us into the 150 yr land ... this would be possible within the relatively near future , say , 50-100 years or so , depending on general public sentiment / laws regarding human genome modification ... but wouldn't help anyone live longer who aren't embryos ... meanwhile advances in more traditional medicine the simple ability to treat ailments and diseases , the possibility to print or grow replacement organs might up that 150 to 200 ... beyond that , there really wouldn't be another option that wouldn't be "invasive" so we'd be looking first at internal cybernetics , since we kindof already have some advances in that department , pacemakers , artificial hips , etc - essentially you'd be looking at supplemental artificial organs to further extend life ... nano-tech to support cell function and immune system would probably be next , mostly because you could still look like a non-modified human being ... next up would be external cybernetics , depending on people's willingness to become more and more machine than man out of desire for extra years of life ... this could push life expectancy anywhere from 300-1000 years ... who knows how long it'd take to develop tech like that ... but at some point you'd resemble a head on a robot/cyborg body , more or less... the step of mapping every neuron and the movement of all the electrical impulses of a human brain in real time AND having the ability to transfer a copy of that exact pattern into a sufficiently advanced artificial brain is probably the furthest down the timeline , by a lot ... probably none of us will ever see the day that any of these possibilities becomes a reality , with the possible exception of having great grandchildren that'll live to be 150 ...

I totally disagree.

I tend to disagree with the majority of arguments that are posted there. This is either posted by a man that hasn't been reading the (scientific) news since 1960, or refuses to accept them. Seriously man, WTF! There is a button on the keyboard called "ENTER". Look (I will press it now 2 times):

You see? This is called a paragraph! (I will now press it another time)

Yet another paragraph! Please use it the next time, it's getting really hard to follow up with your comments FGS!  Grin
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 04:46:09 PM

Natural evolution does not "want" eternal organisms, not even eternal species; it "wants" life to constantly evolve.
Death is a feature, not a bug.  It evolved in the last billion years together with sex and reproduction, as a way to clear up space for new individuals.

You provide no arguments that eternal youthfulness is not feasible, you only state that it is indesirable for a species.

I would not say "undesirable".  I put "want" in quotes because species and natural evolution have no desires (thanks Lamb for seeing that  Wink)  It is just that being mortal is part of being what we are.  

Yes, and 'being unable to fly' is part of what we are, ... until it isn't.  You seem very keen on keeping things like they are, even if they are undesirable.

Personally, I think it is very desirable for an individual, and probably for society as well.

It may be hard to believe, but, after a certain point in life, that desire usually goes away.
Perhaps if your body was youthful and energetic, you would reconsider that point.  Also, if people really didn't want to be alive, it's easy enough to blow your brains out.  I can't help but notice that most people don't do this, which seems to suggest they value being alive.

But yes, we generally hate succumbing to old age and death, just like we hate getting sick and weak.  That wish must be a naturally evolved trait too, like "you must leave soon, but, as long as you are here, you must try to be as useful as you can" --- and that includes remaining as fit and healthy as you can.

It is not different from how companies treat their older employees.  Indeed, retirement is the corporate version of natural death.  It was invented not for the good of the individual, but for the good of the company: a barely delicate way to remove the old guys whom no one dares to fire, and open space for new blood.
There is that " Everything is as it should be" thinking again.  Like we are now evolved into a perfect end state, I don't buy it.
If people didn't get old, they would be able to keep functioning in their company, and there would be no need to fire them.

A finite lifetime is nature's solution to make space for new individuals.  Aging is a consequence of that.
I think you have things backwards.  There is no planned design to remove old individuals.

Your reasonings sound like rationalisations to calm the mind to me ("I shouldn't worry, everything is as it should be, everything has a reason")
Not at all. I am as unhappy at getting old as anyone else.  I am just pointing out that eternal youth (which implies eternal life) is a rather complicated concept, perhaps a meaningless one.
Does it make sense to wish for a car that will last forever?
Does it make sense to wish for your dear Volkswagen Beetle to last forever?
My Volkswagen Beetle has no consciousness.  Replace Volkswagen with a pet dog, and then yes, I would want it to live forever.  
You also seem to be under the impression that biological change is no longer possible if we would acquire eternal youth.  I would say that current and future biotech advances will allow us to adapt much more quickly to our environment than was previously possible (although it might be harder to adapt an existing organism than to engineer a new one from scratch).

I can only repeat that you don't give any arguments that eternal youth is infeasible, you just argue that it is better for the species if individuals die off.  
I would argue that people make decisions as individuals, so your musings are irrelevant.
empowering
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 04:49:23 PM

Natural evolution does not "want" eternal organisms, not even eternal species; it "wants" life to constantly evolve.
Death is a feature, not a bug.  It evolved in the last billion years together with sex and reproduction, as a way to clear up space for new individuals.

You provide no arguments that eternal youthfulness is not feasible, you only state that it is indesirable for a species.

I would not say "undesirable".  I put "want" in quotes because species and natural evolution have no desires (thanks Lamb for seeing that  Wink)  It is just that being mortal is part of being what we are.  

Yes, and 'being unable to fly' is part of what we are, ... until it isn't.  You seem very keen on keeping things like they are, even if they are undesirable.

Personally, I think it is very desirable for an individual, and probably for society as well.

It may be hard to believe, but, after a certain point in life, that desire usually goes away.
Perhaps if your body was youthful and energetic, you would reconsider that point.  Also, if people really didn't want to be alive, it's easy enough to blow your brains out.  I can't help but notice that most people don't do this, which seems to suggest they value being alive.

But yes, we generally hate succumbing to old age and death, just like we hate getting sick and weak.  That wish must be a naturally evolved trait too, like "you must leave soon, but, as long as you are here, you must try to be as useful as you can" --- and that includes remaining as fit and healthy as you can.

It is not different from how companies treat their older employees.  Indeed, retirement is the corporate version of natural death.  It was invented not for the good of the individual, but for the good of the company: a barely delicate way to remove the old guys whom no one dares to fire, and open space for new blood.
There is that " Everything is as it should be" thinking again.  Like we are now evolved into a perfect end state, I don't buy it.
If people didn't get old, they would be able to keep functioning in their company, and there would be no need to fire them.

A finite lifetime is nature's solution to make space for new individuals.  Aging is a consequence of that.
I think you have things backwards.  There is no planned design to remove old individuals.

Your reasonings sound like rationalisations to calm the mind to me ("I shouldn't worry, everything is as it should be, everything has a reason")
Not at all. I am as unhappy at getting old as anyone else.  I am just pointing out that eternal youth (which implies eternal life) is a rather complicated concept, perhaps a meaningless one.
Does it make sense to wish for a car that will last forever?
Does it make sense to wish for your dear Volkswagen Beetle to last forever?
My Volkswagen Beetle has no consciousness.  Replace Volkswagen with a pet dog, and then yes, I would want it to live forever.  
You also seem to be under the impression that biological change is no longer possible if we would acquire eternal youth.  I would say that current and future biotech advances will allow us to adapt much more quickly to our environment than was previously possible (although it might be harder to adapt an existing organism than to engineer a new one from scratch).

I can only repeat that you don't give any arguments that eternal youth is infeasible, you just argue that it is better for the species if individuals die off.  
I would argue that people make decisions as individuals, so your musings are irrelevant.

empowering
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 04:51:15 PM

You are the Dancing Queen, young and sweet, only seventeen
Dancing Queen, feel the beat from the tambourine oh yeah
You can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life
See that girl, watch that scene, diggin' the Dancing Queen

Mr. empowering, you're trying to seduce me. Aren't you?

you got it sweet cheeks
12345mm

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 04:52:07 PM

i'd be willing to concede that printed / grown organs will be available to you and me , as well as some advances in artificial organs to replace failing ones ... so i might expect to hit 100 instead of 80 ... genetic modification of grown humans , my bet is no ... and legally speaking , my bet is against genetic modification of embryos happening either , whether or not we're scientifically able to do it , so long as 95% of the planet still qualifies as religious ... nano-tech capable of extending life , also doubt it being invented / widely available / cost not 10 billion dollars at $1 per nanobot , at least in time for me or you ... certainly no extreme life extending cybernetics internal or external before the 22nd century , just better pacemakers , artificial joints , maybe we get a "kidney pacemaker" or a "liver pacemaker" by then , but probably the preference will be for grown replacements anyway , somewhat negating the need for these ... we aren't even close to being able to accurately map the electrical movement in a tomato in real time , nevermind a human brain , so i'd definitely put the idea of consciousness transfer at the end of the list , in any case ...

we still don't have flying cars and we thought we'd have those 15 years ago ...  Smiley
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 04:52:34 PM

As for it not being desirable, or human, I believe it to be both.

Sure it will mean all sorts of changes for society and the way we live,  no doubt, some positive and some negative, and society will no doubt struggle to keep up, but that will not stop it from happening.

We have already done life extension, as a race, and we will of course without any doubt, continue to do so, and we will get better at it, and it is feasible it will happen in many of our lifetimes.

Basically we would adapt, and evolve, as life does, we would create new education, new mechanisms, new understandings, new philosophy, new stages to life, it would change everything, but that has never ever stopped humans from doing anything, and that is not going to change now.

Life extension, to an extreme level, is pretty much inevitable, it is just a case of when, not if. I think it is all together a very common human desire to be alive and healthy, I think it is going to be possible to extend lifespan from a technological point of view. So when you couple those two facts together, you are just left with the WHEN we will get there, and not IF.  So really as a society we need to start working on ways to deal with this technology, and its implications for society/humanity.

Personally I am totally up for it.
Damn straight brother !
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1745

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 04:59:02 PM

Coin
Explanation
SilenceOfTheLamb

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 05:01:59 PM

you got it sweet cheeks

Must admit, a step up from your usual pickup ploy.

http://www.dcfud.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/vanfud.jpg

Hate to disappoint you, but:  

http://files.sharenator.com/media_preview-s400x300-94574.jpg

*Is BTC most boring coin ever?
empowering
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 05:05:16 PM
Last edit: March 22, 2015, 05:25:12 PM by empowering

i'd be willing to concede that printed / grown organs will be available to you and me , as well as some advances in artificial organs to replace failing ones ... so i might expect to hit 100 instead of 80 ... genetic modification of grown humans , my bet is no ... and legally speaking , my bet is against genetic modification of embryos happening either , whether or not we're scientifically able to do it , so long as 95% of the planet still qualifies as religious ... nano-tech capable of extending life , also doubt it being invented / widely available / cost not 10 billion dollars at $1 per nanobot , at least in time for me or you ... certainly no extreme life extending cybernetics internal or external before the 22nd century , just better pacemakers , artificial joints , maybe we get a "kidney pacemaker" or a "liver pacemaker" by then , but probably the preference will be for grown replacements anyway , somewhat negating the need for these ... we aren't even close to being able to accurately map the electrical movement in a tomato in real time , nevermind a human brain , so i'd definitely put the idea of consciousness transfer at the end of the list , in any case ...

we still don't have flying cars and we thought we'd have those 15 years ago ...  Smiley

Another Aubrey De Grey talk.

https://youtu.be/Ed4akYSJH_s     

(^^ is more about the philosophy, these have more about the science > +  https://youtu.be/8iYpxRXlboQhttps://youtu.be/T0lvxTm2iLg)

(he has visibly aged in the past few years, ironic)

(ps Progress is not linear, the singularity is closer than you think)
empowering
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 05:07:45 PM

you got it sweet cheeks

Must admit, a step up from your usual pickup ploy.

Hate to disappoint you, but:  

*Is BTC most boring coin ever?

You are OBSESSED with children.

It is unnerving tbh.
tarmi
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 05:09:05 PM

0 volume.

Undecided
empowering
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 05:11:23 PM

0 volume.

Undecided

arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 05:11:59 PM

what in the ever living fuck did i miss in this thread? why are you guys talking about eternal life and such? did we forget about bitcoin?
empowering
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 05:14:49 PM

what in the ever living fuck did i miss in this thread? why are you guys talking about eternal life and such? did we forget about bitcoin?

I refer you to Tarmi's last post.
empowering
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 05:16:12 PM

Weak weak shit

No, you are literally the only person on here that keeps banging on about pedophilia, you seem to love talking about it, poor you.
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 3990
Merit: 4448

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 05:18:54 PM

Good morning Bitcoinland.

Still going sideways I see.

From the way the trolls are chirping, you'd think we'd crashed by $2 though.

They're truly getting desperate.

Just another low volume weekend (so far).

Cool
empowering
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 05:20:32 PM

I wonder if we may get a flutter of activity later today...
Wandererfromthenorth

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 05:22:40 PM

Good chart. A little bit too bullish though IMHO:

https://www.tradingview.com/v/QzIX8DhN/
SilenceOfTheLamb

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 05:22:44 PM

No, you are literally the only person on here that keeps banging on about pedophilia, you seem to love talking about it, poor you.

Lol, OK, I get it.  Can't talk over clearnet Roll Eyes  Come on, everyone knows, brah!  Let's cut out this Spy vs. Spy bullshit.

http://s22.postimg.org/ej99s74ap/Capture.jpghttp://s18.postimg.org/hd2opwift/Capture.jpg
Pages: « 1 ... 11706 11707 11708 11709 11710 11711 11712 11713 11714 11715 11716 11717 11718 11719 11720 11721 11722 11723 11724 11725 11726 11727 11728 11729 11730 11731 11732 11733 11734 11735 11736 11737 11738 11739 11740 11741 11742 11743 11744 11745 11746 11747 11748 11749 11750 11751 11752 11753 11754 11755 [11756] 11757 11758 11759 11760 11761 11762 11763 11764 11765 11766 11767 11768 11769 11770 11771 11772 11773 11774 11775 11776 11777 11778 11779 11780 11781 11782 11783 11784 11785 11786 11787 11788 11789 11790 11791 11792 11793 11794 11795 11796 11797 11798 11799 11800 11801 11802 11803 11804 11805 11806 ... 33295 »
  Print  

Jump to: