April 25, 2024, 07:50:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 14794 14795 14796 14797 14798 14799 14800 14801 14802 14803 14804 14805 14806 14807 14808 14809 14810 14811 14812 14813 14814 14815 14816 14817 14818 14819 14820 14821 14822 14823 14824 14825 14826 14827 14828 14829 14830 14831 14832 14833 14834 14835 14836 14837 14838 14839 14840 14841 14842 14843 [14844] 14845 14846 14847 14848 14849 14850 14851 14852 14853 14854 14855 14856 14857 14858 14859 14860 14861 14862 14863 14864 14865 14866 14867 14868 14869 14870 14871 14872 14873 14874 14875 14876 14877 14878 14879 14880 14881 14882 14883 14884 14885 14886 14887 14888 14889 14890 14891 14892 14893 14894 ... 33300 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26367593 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 12:57:20 AM

^So much evil in the heart of one man. How? Cry

Fat people have enlarged hearts.

Interesting.
How do they have so much darkness in their souls tho?

Well, the idea that the fat person is fat because he/she is a fat lazy bastard is foreign to the fat person. So to make sense of the fact that he/she is in fact fat he/she starts blaming the world.

* I am not referring to the fat person as he/she of PC reasons. It's just very hard to tell sometimes.

I appreciate the fact you totally discount the possibility of genetic causes. Me too! I think it's important to instantly shift blame onto the individual. Shame is a godly virtue and a powerful motivator.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10148

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 12:57:39 AM

Waiting for the addition of the block increase to the official Core roadmap, and once confirmed my Classic node will switch back to Core.

Good luck with that wait.

The way things are looking, currently, maybe 1 year from now, at the very soonest?

i'd imagine they would add it to the road map within a week?

bitcoiners are so distrustful, i wonder why that is ?  Cheesy

Maybe we are talking about two different things?

From my reading, if they are saying that they are implementing seg wit first, and then they will work on planning to increase the blockchain with some tests of such plans beginning to take place 3 months after seg wit (summer of 2016), therefore, no real need to commit to any actual increase for 6 more months (after testing it out blah, blah, blah).  

All of this sounds good to me, and really shouldn't be that big of a deal, no?

Don't we need to test things out before actually implementing?   And seg wit is going to provide some interesting and potentially unanticipated developments that need to be considered in light of any additional future changes, no?

Even though the current consensus roadmap is not considerably concrete, it sounds pretty decent, reasonable and really good for bitcoin on both a technical and political level, under the current circumstances, no?

sure but all this should be on the Roadmap https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1349965.0

just to clarify.
implementation = the code
implementing = writing the code

Oh thanks a lot.  Now you have given me another thread to read.  I'm not sure if I can handle it.   Embarrassed

It seems that I was using the terms implementing and implementation differently from you, and for me both terms are the same - and it would depend upon context to choose which is used:  one is a verb and the other is a noun.

My understanding of seg wit is that the code has largely been written.. it is currently being tested and will be implemented released  after the testing (anticipated in April).... I mean implemented means it is available to be able to run in reality rather than merely as a test.. blah blah blah.

as a programer the miss use of implement stands out to me. let's overlook the irony of me giving grammar advice  Tongue

Ok.  fair enough... and at least now we better understand what each of us means.   Wink
Fatman3001
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013

Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 12:59:54 AM

Interesting.

Well, the idea that the fat person is fat because he/she is a fat lazy bastard is foreign to the fat person. So to make sense of the fact that he/she is in fact fat he/she starts blaming the world.

* I am not referring to the fat person as he/she of PC reasons. It's just very hard to tell sometimes.

I appreciate the fact you totally discount the possibility of genetic causes. Me too! I think it's important to instantly shift blame onto the individual. Shame is a godly virtue and a powerful motivator.

We are lutherans where I come from. We would feel lost without it.
blunderer

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 01:00:45 AM

Few people decide the future of 'Bitcoin'.... really decentralized , right ?

Unregulated currency money, created by & for people united by their unwavering faith in greed being a virtue?

What could possibly go wrong???

Not much, except that people might get distracted from this awesome vision and fall victim to coercive schemes, slavery and fraud (scams, ponzis).

That's all in there. Coercive schemes, slavery and fraud? That's all a part of free market, kept in sanctified balance by Invisible Hand Smiley
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1745

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 01:00:52 AM

Coin

Explanation
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 01:03:38 AM

Interesting.

We are lutherans where I come from. We would feel lost without it.

I think I know what you mean. My grandfather was a Freemason. So that's why I never trusted him.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2016, 01:03:44 AM

Bitcoin: distributed decentralized money secured by cowardly miners concentrated in China.  There is no plan or code to switch security measures if they get compromised.

Awesome. This is where I keep my life savings.  I'm a fucking genius.
shmadz
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

@theshmadz

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 01:06:14 AM

You gotta trust somebody Sad
Right. with bitcoin I need to trust the integrity of the blockchain, that the record has not been tampered with. I can verify this myself, and I can cross-verify with several thousand other nodes across the network.

In a fiat transaction I need to trust the government and central bank, which do not have a great track record over the last hundred years. When was the last time the federal reserve was audited?

With Bitcoin you only have to trust the government and central bank of China.  Chinese miners caved to core. You think they wouldn't cave to their own government?  

I'm certain they would capitulate to their government. If they try to make a change or otherwise manipulate transactions their blocks will be rejected and we will fork.

Why can you not understand censorship resistance?

Maybe you can help me understand. So we fork, but we would have to fork away from SHA256 or they could just point to the new fork and doublespend again, right?

Forking seems to be a last resort thing, and there is no code or plan in place to make that kind of switch, to say nothing of no hashpower to secure the new fork, so it could take weeks or months and in the meantime, no Bitcoin.  During that time, could not the Chinese easily discover our new hashing algorithm and swamp the hashpools with more doublespending?

So please, explain this censorship resistance. How is this not a vulnerability?

Censorship resistance comes from the fact that change cannot be forced upon the bitcoin network. Anyone who refuses to accept the new blocks will simply do so and continue on their merry way. You can only double-spend bitcoin that you control. The people that are actually using bitcoin will simply continue to use bitcoin. Any strange blocks or attempt to re-write the blockchain will simply be ignored.

The fork is not last resort, the fork will happen as soon as the first block is formed that does not conform with the consensus rules.  

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 01:08:13 AM

Unregulated currency money, created by & for people united by their unwavering faith in greed being a virtue?

Not much, except that people might get distracted from this awesome vision and fall victim to coercive schemes, slavery and fraud (scams, ponzis).

That's all in there. Coercive schemes, slavery and fraud? That's all a part of free market, kept in sanctified balance by Invisible Hand Smiley

Right. One of the first "balancing acts" would probably be the bankruptcy of a couple of nationstates (certain coercive schemes based on slavery and fraud).

Good riddance.

BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 01:09:11 AM

Right. with bitcoin I need to trust the integrity of the blockchain, that the record has not been tampered with. I can verify this myself, and I can cross-verify with several thousand other nodes across the network.

In a fiat transaction I need to trust the government and central bank, which do not have a great track record over the last hundred years. When was the last time the federal reserve was audited?

With Bitcoin you only have to trust the government and central bank of China.  Chinese miners caved to core. You think they wouldn't cave to their own government? 

I'm certain they would capitulate to their government. If they try to make a change or otherwise manipulate transactions their blocks will be rejected and we will fork.

Maybe you can help me understand. So we fork, but we would have to fork away from SHA256 or they could just point to the new fork and doublespend again, right?

Forking seems to be a last resort thing, and there is no code or plan in place to make that kind of switch, to say nothing of no hashpower to secure the new fork, so it could take weeks or months and in the meantime, no Bitcoin.  During that time, could not the Chinese easily discover our new hashing algorithm and swamp the hashpools with more doublespending?

Censorship resistance comes from the fact that change cannot be forced upon the bitcoin network. Anyone who refuses to accept the new blocks will simply do so and continue on their merry way. You can only double-spend bitcoin that you control. The people that are actually using bitcoin will simply continue to use bitcoin. Any strange blocks or attempt to re-write the blockchain will simply be ignored.

The fork is not last resort, the fork will happen as soon as the first block is formed that does not confirm with the consensus rules. 

Censorship resistance has to do with stateless currency, not the ossification of the protocol. Innit?
shmadz
Legendary

@theshmadz

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 01:09:28 AM

Bitcoin: distributed decentralized money secured by cowardly miners concentrated in China.  There is no plan or code to switch security measures if they get compromised.

I suggest you sell all bitcoin you have, immediately.

I'm not even kidding, go buy Monero or Ethereum or something. I think this bitcoin thing is not healthy for you.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 01:09:34 AM

I've always assumed a majority of economically driven, rational miners.

Maybe that assumption is flawed.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 01:13:30 AM

ignored ... i don't know who has taken over the BJA account but it is clear now your aim is to FUD and stir shit at every turn, big-block war pumping, now something new to pump FUD ... you are an enemy of bitcoin.
blunderer

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 01:14:28 AM

Right. One of the first "balancing acts" would probably be the bankruptcy of a couple of nationstates (certain coercive schemes based on slavery and fraud).

Good riddance.

Oh, and there I was, thinking we was talkin' 'bout BTC Sad
And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye, hmm?
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2016, 01:19:40 AM

With Bitcoin you only have to trust the government and central bank of China.  Chinese miners caved to core. You think they wouldn't cave to their own government?  

Forking seems to be a last resort thing, and there is no code or plan in place to make that kind of switch, to say nothing of no hashpower to secure the new fork, so it could take weeks or months and in the meantime, no Bitcoin.  During that time, could not the Chinese easily discover our new hashing algorithm and swamp the hashpools with more doublespending?

The fork is not last resort, the fork will happen as soon as the first block is formed that does not conform with the consensus rules.  

The network is secured by HASHPOWER! is this not obvious?  Does someone have a warehouse full of SHA512 ASICs laying around to secure the new fork if our hashpower gets compromised?

Even if it is, we can write the code for this new fork in 10 minutes? Convince everyone to use it (because convincing people of the need to upgrade is so damn easy).  I feel like the only sane guy in a loony bin!

or Inigo Montoya.

What is this term "censorship resistance?" I do not think it means what you think it means.
shmadz
Legendary

@theshmadz

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 01:20:46 AM

Sad
And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye, hmm?

Heh, Blinderer,   Cool LOL
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 01:21:43 AM

Look at that. I'm away for an hour, and at least 5 pages filled up with senseless posturing of smalldickblockians.

By the way, just saying: go and read what 'consensus' actually means. Hint: it's not "100% agreement, or 95%", despite what that grand political theory you cooked up in your mom's basement might tell you.
blunderer

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 01:22:11 AM

Bitcoin: distributed decentralized money secured by cowardly miners concentrated in China.  There is no plan or code to switch security measures if they get compromised.

Awesome. This is where I keep my life savings.  I'm a fucking genius.

Your loose definition of "economically driven," therin lies the rub.
First, it's not BTC the miners may be looking for (the FOOLS!) but USD. They don't necessarily keep the BTC they earn as BTC, but sell it immediately for filthy fiat. Now, if a gubermint bro pays them more to f8k bitcoin, they'll do that sooner than you can say "rational self interest." (because, unlike hodlers, not invested in BTC) Sad

And, of course, China being Communist China, nationalizing them mines don't seem like much of a stretch, do it?
And once we start defining "economically driven" in terms of handing over the gear or getting driven to jail, well ...what we got there's one of them paradigm shifts :-
shmadz
Legendary

@theshmadz

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 01:26:01 AM

The network is secured by HASHPOWER! is this not obvious?  Does someone have a warehouse full of SHA512 ASICs laying around to secure the new fork if our hashpower gets compromised?

Even if it is, we can write the code for this new fork in 10 minutes? Convince everyone to use it (because convincing people of the need to upgrade is so damn easy).  I feel like the only sane guy in a loony bin!

or Inigo Montoya.

What is this term "censorship resistance?" I do not think it means what you think it means.

Yo, Dumbass, how much hashpower do you control? Zero? Ok then.

Shut up slave, you have no say in this. (Thank goodness)

Just sell all your coins and leave already. There, I've said it twice, I won't say it again.

(* how you like my version of whiny rage-quit? *)
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2016, 01:28:13 AM

So what happens when Bitcoin's market cap gets big enough to interfere with Chinese economic and monetary policy?  It would be naive to think they WOULDN'T compromise our security, if they had the means motive and opportunity to do so, which they do.

Miners are just people out trying to make a buck.  If they get threatened by the State, they will help launch a 51% attack, because it's the economically driven rational thing to do in that situation.

Pages: « 1 ... 14794 14795 14796 14797 14798 14799 14800 14801 14802 14803 14804 14805 14806 14807 14808 14809 14810 14811 14812 14813 14814 14815 14816 14817 14818 14819 14820 14821 14822 14823 14824 14825 14826 14827 14828 14829 14830 14831 14832 14833 14834 14835 14836 14837 14838 14839 14840 14841 14842 14843 [14844] 14845 14846 14847 14848 14849 14850 14851 14852 14853 14854 14855 14856 14857 14858 14859 14860 14861 14862 14863 14864 14865 14866 14867 14868 14869 14870 14871 14872 14873 14874 14875 14876 14877 14878 14879 14880 14881 14882 14883 14884 14885 14886 14887 14888 14889 14890 14891 14892 14893 14894 ... 33300 »
  Print  

Jump to: