April 25, 2024, 04:45:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 [469] 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 ... 33301 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26367803 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Pale Phoenix

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 02:33:09 PM

These people who have pulled out may or may not have used Dwolla in the past and probably don't realise that it's mainly used by pennyless noobs gambling with their day to day living expenses instead of well funded traders.

Interesting logic. I'd argue that the people who pulled out probably realize the importance of minimizing their risk, and Dwolla's transaction volume is irrelevant to that analysis.

What is relevant is that the company holding our funds is facing an adversary that can seize those funds at will, including offshore funds via the Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty. Whether or not that's likely to happen is up for debate, but in the real world, managing risk is the way people with money keep it.
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MickeyT2008

Activity: 350

This account was recently hacked

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 02:44:07 PM

This entire line of conversation is a stark reminder that it does not matter what currency dominates the world.  At the end of the day, rich people still will look down on poor people so nothing will ever change in that capacity.  Rich people will be dorkier than they are today, but just as hateful and oppressive as rich people have ever been.

Really sad and depressing way to start the morning.   Cry

+1

Their manipulation of the BTC market is annoying too.  That is on topic, after all isn't this the wall movement tracker thread?  It's their walls that are messing everything up.  If more money does come into BTC then even they won't be able to afford to do that any more, which will let BTC reflect its true value and can only be a good thing.  That is of course until the scumbag banks join in with even bigger walls of course.

There's truth to that but a bank is amoral.  It's just a building.  It's the people that make it "evil".  We're just trading one group of greed, oppressive bastards for another.  Heck, a few pages back or so there was talk of starting their own bank in some other country.  See, Bitcoin is not about hating the banks, its about not being in control.  They want to take control from the current rich and powerful, so they can be the ones in control and be the same greedy bastards we have now.  

You know what...I'm going to the beach to hang out with the lowly poor people.  As I refer to me, them, most of us...the mainstream.  Not about to wreck my day over a stupid thread.  

Thanks for the +1 brother.

+1 from me too.

I don´t know how to think about you.
A few pages back you made panic and talked some "bear"shit and now such a good statement.
For "panic sell" spamming please start your own thread.
I´m glad not to ignore you or anybody else, but stop spamming "bear"shit and talk like that post above more often.
Thanks

Often when trading is slow this thread descends into a petty flame war, it's very boring.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1745

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 03:02:13 PM

TheKoziTwo
Legendary

Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 03:17:45 PM

There's truth to that but a bank is amoral.  It's just a building.  It's the people that make it "evil".  We're just trading one group of greed, oppressive bastards for another.  Heck, a few pages back or so there was talk of starting their own bank in some other country.  See, Bitcoin is not about hating the banks, its about not being in control.  They want to take control from the current rich and powerful, so they can be the ones in control and be the same greedy bastards we have now.  

You know what...I'm going to the beach to hang out with the lowly poor people.  As I refer to me, them, most of us...the mainstream.  Not about to wreck my day over a stupid thread.  

Thanks for the +1 brother.
Most bitcoin pioneers are of the voluntaryist & libertarian philosophy. That means we're against the current control structure and do indeed want it replaced, but it doesn't mean we want to replace it with ourself, but simply systems that cannot be controlled. We don't want control, we just don't want to be controlled. Listen to Milton Friedman, he'll teach you something about greed.
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 03:35:51 PM

This entire line of conversation is a stark reminder that it does not matter what currency dominates the world.  At the end of the day, rich people still will look down on poor people so nothing will ever change in that capacity.  Rich people will be dorkier than they are today, but just as hateful and oppressive as rich people have ever been.

+1

Their manipulation of the BTC market is annoying too.  That is on topic, after all isn't this the wall movement tracker thread?  It's their walls that are messing everything up.  If more money does come into BTC then even they won't be able to afford to do that any more, which will let BTC reflect its true value and can only be a good thing.  That is of course until the scumbag banks join in with even bigger walls of course.

BTC is just an intermediate step to something much greater. In the short term we have to get the criminals out of politics and government (which means a total revamp of our system).

Regarding the walls - just don't look at them. Buy and sell when you need to. Big players might see those walls but really, what do they do outside of psychologically? Thus far we don't have any shorting of BTC, and that is a good thing.

We need to protect ourselves from the bankers. They all have the same thing on their minds, war and...

Dumbastronaut

Activity: 126
Merit: 16

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 03:48:02 PM

Anyone else see a textbook head and shoulders formation? We're crossing thd neckline right now :/
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 03:58:39 PM

+1

Their manipulation of the BTC market is annoying too.  That is on topic, after all isn't this the wall movement tracker thread?  It's their walls that are messing everything up.  If more money does come into BTC then even they won't be able to afford to do that any more, which will let BTC reflect its true value and can only be a good thing.  That is of course until the scumbag banks join in with even bigger walls of course.

BTC is just an intermediate step to something much greater. In the short term we have to get the criminals out of politics and government (which means a total revamp of our system).

Regarding the walls - just don't look at them. Buy and sell when you need to. Big players might see those walls but really, what do they do outside of psychologically? Thus far we don't have any shorting of BTC, and that is a good thing.

We need to protect ourselves from the bankers. They all have the same thing on their minds, war and...

there is quite some shorting possible on www.bitfinex.com
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 04:03:21 PM

Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 04:18:54 PM

+1

there is quite some shorting possible on www.bitfinex.com

I wasn't aware of that. But, due to the design of the network, you can't do naked shorting I would think. So, shorting would mean, borrowing actual shares from someones account and then selling them and promising to buy them back at a later date. I would also think that you would have to cover the sell in cash and would be subject to margin calls as well. I don't know if shorting BTC nor derivatives, could really ever "work" at quite the same was as they do in the stock market. For one, most people don't keep their coins in the exchanges - right there you can't borrow them for sale.
Ultraviolet

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 04:28:41 PM

I wasn't aware of that. But, due to the design of the network, you can't do naked shorting I would think. So, shorting would mean, borrowing actual shares from someones account and then selling them and promising to buy them back at a later date. I would also think that you would have to cover the sell in cash and would be subject to margin calls as well. I don't know if shorting BTC nor derivatives, could really ever "work" at quite the same was as they do in the stock market. For one, most people don't keep their coins in the exchanges - right there you can't borrow them for sale.

It works on Bitfinex because there's a pool of USD and BTC that's lent on a P2P system in exchange for interest. USD interest is very high and BTC interest is very low.
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 04:35:52 PM

It works on Bitfinex because there's a pool of USD and BTC that's lent on a P2P system in exchange for interest. USD interest is very high and BTC interest is very low.

I guess some investors would do that, but die hard BTC'ers would NEVER EVER allow their coins to be used for such purposes. In the grand scheme of things it is probably quite small at that site and I can only hope it stays that way. Again, due to the nature of the network, you are not going to see naked shorts. And, due to most keeping larger amounts of coins offline, you just won't get the short volume needed to manipulate.
dexX7
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 04:48:43 PM

Anyone else see a textbook head and shoulders formation? We're crossing thd neckline right now :/

Which timeframe? Call the points please. Smiley
Pale Phoenix

Activity: 420

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 04:54:33 PM

I guess some investors would do that, but die hard BTC'ers would NEVER EVER allow their coins to be used for such purposes. In the grand scheme of things it is probably quite small at that site and I can only hope it stays that way. Again, due to the nature of the network, you are not going to see naked shorts. And, due to most keeping larger amounts of coins offline, you just won't get the short volume needed to manipulate.

Right now there are approximately 2200 coins lent out to short sellers and another 1800 available to borrow on Bitfinex, so around 500k USD at today's price. Not a massive sum, but enough to make shorting viable for traders on that platform.

You do have to keep assets on the exchange to cover a potential margin call, and no, there is no naked shorting. Technically, Regulation SHO prohibits naked shorting on U.S. stock exchanges too, not that it doesn't still happen.
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 04:55:09 PM

Interesting - First wall I see is around 2k at $130...
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 04:56:51 PM

Right now there are approximately 2200 coins lent out to short sellers and another 1800 available to borrow on Bitfinex, so around 500k USD at today's price. Not a massive sum, but enough to make shorting viable for traders on that platform.

You do have to keep assets on the exchange to cover a potential margin call, and no, there is no naked shorting. Technically, Regulation SHO prohibits naked shorting on U.S. stock exchanges too, not that it doesn't still happen.

Well, a 2000 BTC sale can for sure kill a rally (smaller one). I would think for shorting to really really matter, we would have to be talking in the 10's of thousands? Thoughts.

Thanks for the information by the way. We have to look at everything, even those things we don't like to see.  Shocked
Abandon

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 05:02:14 PM

Well, a 2000 BTC sale can for sure kill a rally (smaller one). I would think for shorting to really really matter, we would have to be talking in the 10's of thousands? Thoughts.

Thanks for the information by the way. We have to look at everything, even those things we don't like to see.  Shocked

There's many other bitcoin brokerages that are coming out, that allow for shorting and leverage, I have seen at least three others.

Right now Bitfinex is in a closed loop with the other small exchanges, that do not have direct contact with Mt. Gox. Bitfinex not any more for now. Bitfinex currently trades only with itself and Bitstamp.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 05:02:26 PM

oroboras

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 05:05:25 PM

Well, that ought to keep Dr Evil off our backs for a while Tongue
dexX7
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 05:14:32 PM

What is a naked short? Bitfinex is a great example, I at least like their concept, because it's actually "from the people, for the people" due to their P2P lending system. There are margin requirements, which by the way, could be one point the CFTC could regulate. (the requirements)

I'm not sure if I like it or not, because our overall goal should be a higher price, but I'm not sure, if my thought process isn't to shortsighted and this is an valid argument at all, because they have to buy back the coins when closing the position..

Anyway, you missed one importent point when it comes to money: where money can be made, there will always be people who try to exploit that. A current example would be the "true believers", who would never ever sell a Bitcoin, vs. the speculators, who trade the swings and are selling, buying lower etc.

Another thing to think about.. when we trade, we aren't actually transfering Bitcoins on the exchanges, but I assume, all Bitcoins are backed up by real Bitcoins.

I've read that the "real" finance does that at an even greater extent - many CFD (?) brokers simulate shorts etc. within their system, which results in a state, where traders play against the house and not against the market.
bito

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 05:22:05 PM

Often when trading is slow this thread descends into a petty flame war, it's very boring.

Hmm, I'm new here, but IMHO when trading is fast the price is moving fast and most of what happens is a mother load of redundant posts about the price change. I've been reading for a month before my registration date btw.

I'm not saying that boring flame wars don't happen when trading is slow. What I am saying is that when trading is slow I find the ratio of interesting information to noise in this speculation thread is much easier consume than when trading is fast.

So I dispute your proposition that slow trading results in a boring thread. Unless I have misunderstood that the point is excitement rather than speculation.
Pages: « 1 ... 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 [469] 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 ... 33301 »
  Print  

Jump to: