April 24, 2024, 12:07:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 17997 17998 17999 18000 18001 18002 18003 18004 18005 18006 18007 18008 18009 18010 18011 18012 18013 18014 18015 18016 18017 18018 18019 18020 18021 18022 18023 18024 18025 18026 18027 18028 18029 18030 18031 18032 18033 18034 18035 18036 18037 18038 18039 18040 18041 18042 18043 18044 18045 18046 [18047] 18048 18049 18050 18051 18052 18053 18054 18055 18056 18057 18058 18059 18060 18061 18062 18063 18064 18065 18066 18067 18068 18069 18070 18071 18072 18073 18074 18075 18076 18077 18078 18079 18080 18081 18082 18083 18084 18085 18086 18087 18088 18089 18090 18091 18092 18093 18094 18095 18096 18097 ... 33297 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26367165 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 07:17:13 PM

The entire Bitcoin marketcap, in comparison, is just the money needed to absorb just a few months of the global gold mining production.

Aye. Well, if you consider eight to be 'a few'. And three years ago, Bitcoin's market cap would have absorbed 'just a few weeks of the global gold mining production.' The trend is my friend.

OTOH, the trend hates you.

Wink
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 07:19:12 PM

The entire Bitcoin marketcap, in comparison, is just the money needed to absorb just a few months of the global gold mining production.

Aye. Well, if you consider eight to be 'a few'. And three years ago, Bitcoin's market cap would have absorbed 'just a few weeks of the global gold mining production.' The trend is my friend.

OTOH, the trend hates you.

Wink

It's still "weeks", if you don't bother counting up to 39 Tongue

JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10143

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 07:22:59 PM

Finding it difficult to concentrate at work

Same problem. Well today is a holy day so no problem, but since this summer, and it has worsened recently, I care less and less about my job.

During the summer I had decided that I needed my BTC stash to be worth a certain amount of euros, then, considering how I'm able to grow that stash, I could quit my job and live off the earned BTC. I thought this could happen in the middle of next year at the earliest, but today it has happened.

It would not be reasonable to quit my job right away, but I can't see myself continuing for years, that's for sure.

Does your plan account for any possible scenario that bitcoin could lose 50% of its value? 

I am not saying that bitcoin is going to lose 50% of its value from the current price but it is not an unrealistic scenario or assumption.

Furthermore, for example, if we experience another 2x or 3x in a very short period of time (let's say 2weeks or even 2 months, but the 2 month price explosion, if it were to happen, could be higher than 3x), then after any such quick additional exponential growth such as in the framework that I mention, we could thereafter be subject to a 70% or even possible 90% peaks price correction scenario - although the 90% seems less likely but if we went to $30k, for example, then peaks of a 90% could be quasi-reasonably within the cards)
philip2000uk

Activity: 276
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2017, 07:27:25 PM

So is this why it's going up Smiley
https://www.coindesk.com/bright-futures-bitcoin-climbs-cme-news-can-gains-continue/
pfrtlpfmpf

Activity: 420
Merit: 257

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 07:28:11 PM

A very late good morning Bitcoinland. I was woken at the crack of noon by the phone ringing and the door pounding and haven't had a chance to check in until now.

I see we kept last night's gains and reached another ATH before sliding back a little... currently $6620USD/$8527CAD (Bitcoinaverage).

AltCash also holding its own at $495USD/$637CAD (Coinmarketcap).

Life is good. Go Bitcoin go.

What other activities do you do? I mean other than sleeping.
I envy you.  Smiley

He buys dips... All the dips.

*THAT* I envy Smiley

That must be great: Waking up, buy the dip, back to sleep  Smiley

JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 07:32:27 PM

I follow the upcoming Bcash hard fork but it's turning into a major shitshow...suprise suprise  Cheesy

So one of the Bcash devs are using his algorithm instead of going with consensus while they realease spec without coding and all done behind close-doors Roll Eyes Shocked

I'm not a coder but i'm sure you need to code first, spec and comments after...

All of this within a 2 week time line lol.

HUH?Huh

I find this discussion confusing.  Are you really talking about Bcash, or are you referring to segwit2x, especially since you are mentioning a "2 week timeline"?
julian071

Activity: 1132
Merit: 818

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 07:36:04 PM

My eleven year old daughter says hi to you all. She is very satisfied with the gains her bitcoin made today.
Arriemoller
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1767

Cлaвa Укpaїнi!

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 07:38:39 PM

My eleven year old daughter says hi to you all. She is very satisfied with the gains her bitcoin made today.

Say hi back. Hope she gets rich!
aesma

Activity: 2380
Merit: 916

fly or die

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 07:41:51 PM

I don't want to actually 'retire' at all.  I am fine for money now, but I don't want to have nothing to do, no reason to get up in the morning...

To be smart enough to get into Bitcoin, it requires a risk-taking and adventurous nature - I can't see how 'sitting on a beach' is going to be any fun at all for the majority of us!

I have some land overseas in a place I am fond of and I am looking at building there, perhaps to rent out for a while (it will pay for itself then) and it can either be where I go to for breaks, or to retire, or help out my income in old age.

I still run a business, but I just put all the staff on a profit share and told then I won't be around as much, so it's more up to them.  They are working much harder now, so the business is growing more, it's great to see.  I am now going in to work when I feel like it, just to cheer them on - I no longer have to, I enjoy it. I did just buy a new car, not a lambo - but something classy that isn't pretenetious and feels a pleasure to drive.  To have nowhere to go and no reson to go in it woudl be heartbreaking.

Us Bitcoiner, we can't do 'nothing'  - but we can do something positive, which we enjoy.  We can all trust our investment instincts, right - so cash a litte out and well, invest it in something we are excited about - that we can enjoy.

Oh - and (if you're already much better off) don't keep waiting forever to cash something out, it may not last forever and life certainly doesn't.

I guess I'm adventurous in some ways and not adventurous in others. I like to jump out of perfectly functioning airplanes at 12000 feet. But I never thought about creating a business, because it seemed to be too much work.

Now, my job is very dull and I guess working a lot but for something you really like would not be that bad in comparison.

I used to be unemployed for a long time, even when I started into cryptocurrencies, and when I finally was offered a job that I was going to be good at, my goals were simple : save the maximum of money possible, make it grow by investing wisely, and buying a house after a few years thanks to that money, all the while getting very good at my job to grow into my company. The first part worked better than planned, I'm very good at my job too, but to grow into my company, you must suck dick or something, or just wait for years. After 6 months I was better at it than colleagues with a lifetime of experience, but I still earn much less. I'm also the only one who can speak English, in fact amongst about 50 colleagues doing a similar job none of them speak English, when more and more we need to call tech support and generally communicate in English, all documentation is in English, all help you can find on the web is in English, etc.

So now I'm considering quitting, not to do something else but as a bargaining chip to get a new contract, better paid, and with better incentives (a car I could use outside work). If BTC stays above 3000€ for the next 6 months I'll do it, and too bad if they let me go.
pfrtlpfmpf

Activity: 420
Merit: 257

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 07:43:25 PM

I follow the upcoming Bcash hard fork but it's turning into a major shitshow...suprise suprise  Cheesy

So one of the Bcash devs are using his algorithm instead of going with consensus while they realease spec without coding and all done behind close-doors Roll Eyes Shocked

HUH?Huh

I find this discussion confusing.  Are you really talking about Bcash, or are you referring to segwit2x, especially since you are mentioning a "2 week timeline"?

I mix all this forks up, too. Getting my head around it slowly.

Imagine, what a "Newbie" thinks right now !

Last of the V8s
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 4392

Be a bank

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 07:47:41 PM

HUH?Huh

I find this discussion confusing.  Are you really talking about Bcash, or are you referring to segwit2x, especially since you are mentioning a "2 week timeline"?

bcash is hard forking again at the same time as the s2x fork. simple
aesma

fly or die

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 07:49:03 PM

Same problem. Well today is a holy day so no problem, but since this summer, and it has worsened recently, I care less and less about my job.

During the summer I had decided that I needed my BTC stash to be worth a certain amount of euros, then, considering how I'm able to grow that stash, I could quit my job and live off the earned BTC. I thought this could happen in the middle of next year at the earliest, but today it has happened.

It would not be reasonable to quit my job right away, but I can't see myself continuing for years, that's for sure.

Does your plan account for any possible scenario that bitcoin could lose 50% of its value? 

I am not saying that bitcoin is going to lose 50% of its value from the current price but it is not an unrealistic scenario or assumption.

Furthermore, for example, if we experience another 2x or 3x in a very short period of time (let's say 2weeks or even 2 months, but the 2 month price explosion, if it were to happen, could be higher than 3x), then after any such quick additional exponential growth such as in the framework that I mention, we could thereafter be subject to a 70% or even possible 90% peaks price correction scenario - although the 90% seems less likely but if we went to $30k, for example, then peaks of a 90% could be quasi-reasonably within the cards)

Yes and no. I know it can happen, have lived through it already, but I don't really believe it can happen.

If I were to quit my job, I could always find another one if worse came to worse, especially in the current environment. I would probably go for temp work. I would also keep enough fiat in hand to weather a year of low prices, maybe more to actually buy such a dip.
aesma

fly or die

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 07:50:03 PM

I follow the upcoming Bcash hard fork but it's turning into a major shitshow...suprise suprise  Cheesy

HUH?Huh

Too much fork action, I've missed that. When is the fork happening ? I must get my coins out of exchanges I guess.
bitserve
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1464

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 07:52:38 PM
Last edit: November 01, 2017, 08:03:22 PM by bitserve

Yes and no. I know it can happen, have lived through it already, but I don't really believe it can happen.

If I were to quit my job, I could always find another one if worse came to worse, especially in the current environment. I would probably go for temp work. I would also keep enough fiat in hand to weather a year of low prices, maybe more to actually buy such a dip.

How old are you aesma? If I can ask...

I seem to remember you had around 20 BTC which, even if it is a good cushion, it is nowhere enough to think about retiring or living out of it. I mean, just not yet. Maybe I remember wrong.

OTOH, it is a good enough cushion to risk changing jobs and trying to "upgrade" while you can see how your stash evolves in the future. Just don't quit before you have the better job on hand.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 07:53:09 PM

Say hi back. Hope she gets rich!

An 11 year old should not have full title to bitcoin that was "given" to her.

You gotta build character in her first...

Tongue Tongue

Otherwise, she become SPOILT BRATT   Roll Eyes , if she already NOT one.    Shocked
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 3990
Merit: 4449

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 07:53:45 PM

oh god i can't stand the curiosity any more

Jimbo who was at the door?

Luckily someone who owed me money, and just in time too. I may be paper rich now but I'm still pocket poor.

I'm still recovering from buying the dips in September and a couple of weeks ago.
Life is good. Go Bitcoin go.

What other activities do you do? I mean other than sleeping.
I envy you.  Smiley

I'm basically retired, so my main activities are sex and herbs and rock and roll. I do a lot of partying, still play regularly with several bands and attend baseball games during season. I spend a lot of time at the bar. I also like spending time in the forest or at the lake. I'm thinking of "buying" a few acres of jungle in the Yucatan on Mayan land. I can do it with Bitcoin, no fiat involved.

I collect a couple of pensions and make a little extra here and there from various businesses, hustles and scams. I jump on bargains and sell them for a profit. By far my main source of income is Bitcoin but all my profits stay in Bitcoin (for now). I used to mine.

I've bounced between poverty and semi-wealth all my life. Now I've achieved a certain level of stability thanks to Bitcoin. I'm proud to say I haven't had a "real" job since 1976. Getting paid for a hobby doesn't count. I've learned to resist unnecessary spending and live cheaply.

As I said, life is good.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 07:56:19 PM

HUH?Huh

Oh yeah.  Thanks.  I forgot about that one, and yeah, the projected Bcash hardfork is approximately a couple of days before the projected segwit2x hardfork  - o... k...   Now I get the reference..   Makes more sense.   Embarrassed
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 07:58:36 PM

Everything that goes on, sooner or later comes back down.

I guess the Internet went down as well, not to speak of the combustion engine. But in all fairness, bubble peaks will also bring bear throughs. But I see no bubble yet. First we need to hit $25k, and soon.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 08:00:27 PM

Don't mean to be critical, but your plan seems fairly inadequate and without a proper cushionings...  

Maybe it is my own conservative approach to these kinds of financial matters .. but cushions are frequently needed, including decent preparations for worse case scenarios.

[edited out]

How old are you aesma? If I can ask...

I seem to remember you had around 20 BTC which, even if it is a good cushion, it is nowhere enough to think about retiring or living out of it. I mean, just not yet. Maybe I remember wrong.

OTOH, it is a good enough cushion to risk changing jobs and trying to "upgrade" while you can see how your stash evolves in the future.

Exactamente Bitserve!!!  You beat me to making this point, better than me.   Wink

Last of the V8s
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 4392

Be a bank

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 08:01:30 PM
Last edit: November 01, 2017, 08:49:13 PM by Last of the V8s

https://bashco.github.io/2x_Countdown/
Thursday, November 16, 2017, 9:38 AM
Greenwich Mean Time
This is a rough estimate based on the current block height, proposed block height
to attempt a hard fork, and an average block time of ten minutes per block.
current block: 492686
fork block: 494784
blocks remaining: 2098

https://www.bitcoinabc.org/november
Bitcoin ABC has published version 0.16.0 which contains an updated Difficulty Adjustment Algorithm (DAA).  

This is a change to the Bitcoin Cash consensus rules, but the change does not activate until November 13th.  This is a hard fork, so exchanges, wallets, and other software need to upgrade before November 13th.

Pages: « 1 ... 17997 17998 17999 18000 18001 18002 18003 18004 18005 18006 18007 18008 18009 18010 18011 18012 18013 18014 18015 18016 18017 18018 18019 18020 18021 18022 18023 18024 18025 18026 18027 18028 18029 18030 18031 18032 18033 18034 18035 18036 18037 18038 18039 18040 18041 18042 18043 18044 18045 18046 [18047] 18048 18049 18050 18051 18052 18053 18054 18055 18056 18057 18058 18059 18060 18061 18062 18063 18064 18065 18066 18067 18068 18069 18070 18071 18072 18073 18074 18075 18076 18077 18078 18079 18080 18081 18082 18083 18084 18085 18086 18087 18088 18089 18090 18091 18092 18093 18094 18095 18096 18097 ... 33297 »
  Print  

Jump to: