April 19, 2024, 05:15:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 18031 18032 18033 18034 18035 18036 18037 18038 18039 18040 18041 18042 18043 18044 18045 18046 18047 18048 18049 18050 18051 18052 18053 18054 18055 18056 18057 18058 18059 18060 18061 18062 18063 18064 18065 18066 18067 18068 18069 18070 18071 18072 18073 18074 18075 18076 18077 18078 18079 18080 [18081] 18082 18083 18084 18085 18086 18087 18088 18089 18090 18091 18092 18093 18094 18095 18096 18097 18098 18099 18100 18101 18102 18103 18104 18105 18106 18107 18108 18109 18110 18111 18112 18113 18114 18115 18116 18117 18118 18119 18120 18121 18122 18123 18124 18125 18126 18127 18128 18129 18130 18131 ... 33278 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26363999 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
AlcoHoDL
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 4127

Addicted to HoDLing!

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 07:09:30 AM

@Elwar, yep, it is only this thread.

Theymos removed the signatures from displaying here as part of the "deal" to allow the thread to be excempt of on-topicness and other rules of bitcointalk. Wise move that seems to have mostly got rid of the plague of signature spammers and affiliate campaigners that are pretty much elsewhere all over this board.

Oh yeah, I just noticed it! GOOD!

I absolutely hate ads (and signature campaigns)!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 07:37:36 AM

But really, if S2X emerges the victor, is that really a 'worst case' for you Core acolytes? Seems to me that there ain't more than a RCH difference between S1X and S2X. Sure, a handful of overly-entitled neckbeards either whiny-ragequit or have their bluffs exposed. Other than that, what?

You are missing the point. If a bunch of people can meet and redefine what Bitcoin is, then that's the major problem right there - because at that point it has been proven that Bitcoin can be controlled or co-opted.

Disagree. In my understanding of Bitcoin, the economic majority decides which is the One True Bitcoin.

You don't even need 'a bunch of people'. Anyone -- collectively or individually -- can code up alternate protocol rules and offer it to the community. But the One True Bitcoin is only the one that that the economic majority adopts. We all redefine it together. By definition.

Network protocols are not a democracy. They need near universal agreement in order to work.

The reason is simple:

If for every contentious choice, there was a 52% group that said "yes I like that" and a 48% group that said "I don't like that", then you have two protocols. In the second contentious choice for each fork, of similar dynamics (52-48), you have four protocols. In the third, you have eight protocols - which all do not recognize each other. If there were, say, 8 DNS protocols, your router wouldn't even know where to begin with in order to convert a name to an IP address...

Bitcoin is trying to compete with assets like Gold. You can't "fork" Gold or redefine what Gold is and that has value. Bitcoin's resistance to re-definition, likewise has value. Some people are trying hard to damage this resistance in order to say "see? Bitcoin is crap, it can be forked, it can be inflated through forks, uncertainty can be introduced on what fork will be the "right" one, etc etc... gold doesn't have all this bullshit, I'll stick with gold / stocks / fiat".

This is why all the forkers are cancer. They are undermining bitcoin, or are actively trying to control it, under any narrative like "bigger blocks". Even when they had their "big blocks" with BCH and the 8mb fork, now they are trying to take BTC to 8mb as well with S2X. Why don't they simply stick to BCH? It's simple: Because it was never about big blocks, it was about CONTROL.
AlcoHoDL
Legendary

Merit: 4127

Addicted to HoDLing!

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 08:00:27 AM

Network protocols are not a democracy. They need near universal agreement in order to work.

The reason is simple:

If for every contentious choice, there was a 52% group that said "yes I like that" and a 48% group that said "I don't like that", then you have two protocols. In the second contentious choice for each fork, of similar dynamics (52-48), you have four protocols. In the third, you have eight protocols - which all do not recognize each other. If there were, say, 8 DNS protocols, your router wouldn't even know where to begin with in order to convert a name to an IP address...

Bitcoin is trying to compete with assets like Gold. You can't "fork" Gold or redefine what Gold is and that has value. Bitcoin's resistance to re-definition, likewise has value. Some people are trying hard to damage this resistance in order to say "see? Bitcoin is crap, it can be forked, it can be inflated through forks, uncertainty can be introduced on what fork will be the "right" one, etc etc... gold doesn't have all this bullshit, I'll stick with gold / stocks / fiat".

This is why all the forkers are cancer. They are undermining bitcoin, or are actively trying to control it, under any narrative like "bigger blocks". Even when they had their "big blocks" with BCH and the 8mb fork, now they are trying to take BTC to 8mb as well with S2X. Why don't they simply stick to BCH? It's simple: Because it was never about big blocks, it was about CONTROL.

Very well said!
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 08:22:53 AM

I truly hope that you believe your line...

Indeed I do. I'm a freeking ancient curmudgeon. The only line I toe is my own.

But really, if S2X emerges the victor, is that really a 'worst case' for you Core acolytes? Seems to me that there ain't more than a RCH difference between S1X and S2X. Sure, a handful of overly-entitled neckbeards either whiny-ragequit or have their bluffs exposed. Other than that, what?

You are missing the point. If a bunch of people can meet and redefine what Bitcoin is, then that's the major problem right there - because at that point it has been proven that Bitcoin can be controlled or co-opted.

Disagree. In my understanding of Bitcoin, the economic majority decides which is the One True Bitcoin.

You don't even need 'a bunch of people'. Anyone -- collectively or individually -- can code up alternate protocol rules and offer it to the community. But the One True Bitcoin is only the one that that the economic majority adopts. We all redefine it together. By definition.

While that is a salient point, it has fuck-all to do with your position. You seem to preach utopia. We ain't there. We already have multiple competing implementations duking it out in the marketplace. You can either recognize this fact, or get run over by the tide that Don't Give A Shit About Your Feelings.
Granxis

Activity: 1400
Merit: 536

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 09:10:48 AM

There is a resistance at the level of 7300 dollars, Bitcoin 2 can not reach this level by day, after segwit the level of 7500 dollars will see the level of 6500 dollars per side. It depends on the situation.
Last of the V8s
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 4392

Be a bank

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 09:38:10 AM

look i'm a hypocrite like everyone else, but this ...

playground insults?

a handful of overly-entitled neckbeards either whiny-ragequit

... alone proves you are no Goebbels.

And you get heated and sweary when others swear at you. Poor quality shilling 2/10.

No, you're just as you say a curmudgeon, like Ibian, like roach, like me when I don't control myself.

You don't have any arguments other than 'don't like all this modern stuff'.

Or can you account for this assertion

While I believe in BCH's long term prospects, it may be a bumpy ride. Then again, its the only one of the three that can make it through a sudden hashrate drop.

And Bitcoin Gold/GPU can fuck right off.

btc hashrate dropped 40% at first when bch came on. it made it through with slower blocks and higher fees and price went up.

core devs are running round reassuring users that we can survive a 90% drop in hashrate. @slush is on their side, and something's happening with Francis Pouliot in Canada.
150 min blocks for a few weeks are meh.
hashrate will not decide this

and why the hate for gold/gpu?
surely you're not threatened?
it's harmless ... surely?
preshpresh

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 11:06:08 AM

The reason is simple:

Very well said!

... it's totally pathetic and beyond any reasonable or technical discussion. The infants didn't get their way, got their bottoms smacked and now want to pretend to play nice again.

(((who))) could be so pathetic & anti-humanity???
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 11:12:17 AM

You mean that after all of this discussion of "wave 5", we have not even arrived at it yet?Huh

Angry Angry Angry

I am really ANGRY, if you cannot tell...

Idk. They say that you can see waves with some certainty only retrospectively, and I'm not an expert for sure.

IMO I don't expect much resistance until the 9K, even because S2X seems to be a dud even worse than the other fork attacks.
And once S2X will be revealed as the fail that it is I see just a free highway going forward.

But a wildcard that I'm expecting is the implosion of Finex.
Arriemoller
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1767

Cлaвa Укpaїнi!

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 11:23:45 AM

"A suggested definition for “Bitcoin to the Moon”"

"I suggest that we make “Bitcoin to the Moon” mean just that in the most literal sense possible. “Bitcoin to the Moon” is the point in time, when one bitcoin will buy you a return ticket to and from the moon as a tourist. Give this another ten years of SpaceX and bitcoin development in parallel, and this is not inconceivable at all."

https://falkvinge.net/2017/11/03/suggested-definition-bitcoin-moon/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Falkvinge-on-Infopolicy+%28Falkvinge+on+Liberty%29
pfrtlpfmpf

Activity: 420
Merit: 257

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 11:35:27 AM

You mean that after all of this discussion of "wave 5", we have not even arrived at it yet?Huh

Angry Angry Angry

I am really ANGRY, if you cannot tell...

Idk. They say that you can see waves with some certainty only retrospectively, and I'm not an expert for sure.

IMO I don't expect much resistance until the 9K, even because S2X seems to be a dud even worse than the other fork attacks.
And once S2X will be revealed as the fail that it is I see just a free highway going forward.

Really ? I´m making a killing with funding at finex. I moved hundreds of bitcoin through them. Never a problem. Give me a reason, other than the hacking from before. They all got hacked before. Nothing to see here. Walk on !

kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 11:36:59 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrLr7MdyyLg

Confirmed @11:50 what I've always suspected to be true: fractional reserve shares (aka "phantom shares") in the U.S. stock market are real. I fkn knew it! That along with collateralized and even naked re-hypo liens on personal/corp shares exactly confirms why when the U.S. stock market crashes, it crashes so hard.... because of all the unwinding.

That is a fantastic interview, thanks for the link.

I am sending it to a hedge fund manager friend who I have succeeded in coaxing into BTC.

They don't think like us, don't read stuff here (funnily enough) but they are not stupid and they do get it.  They have just been waiting for the ETFs and the futures markets as they don't seem to want to hold the actual BTC.
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 11:44:11 AM

Really ? I´m making a killing with funding at finex. I moved hundreds of bitcoin through them. Never a problem. Give me a reason, other than the hacking from before. They all got hacked before. Nothing to see here. Walk on !

I too made a killing with funding there, until they made a killing on me when they got "hacked".
Maybe have a look at this:
https://twitter.com/Bitfinexed
Karartma1
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 11:59:50 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrLr7MdyyLg

Confirmed @11:50 what I've always suspected to be true: fractional reserve shares (aka "phantom shares") in the U.S. stock market are real. I fkn knew it! That along with collateralized and even naked re-hypo liens on personal/corp shares exactly confirms why when the U.S. stock market crashes, it crashes so hard.... because of all the unwinding.

Yet another reason to stick with Bitcoin as one of the most important asset to have in our portofolio. We know Bitcoin dynamics while we don't know anything about the stock market world. I became almost fully invested in Bitcoin in the last years because Bitcoin value is way higher than anything else that I have.
Hence, for me an economic collapse would make me in good position knowing that Bitcoin will not suffer from "their financial economic crisis".

It's no coincidence Bitcoin was proposed in 2008 and launched in 2009

Coinbase
The coinbase parameter contains, along with the normal data, the following text

The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks
This was probably intended as proof that the block was created on or after January 3, 2009, as well as a comment on the instability caused by fractional-reserve banking.
pfrtlpfmpf

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 12:05:34 PM

I too made a killing with funding there, until they made a killing on me when they got "hacked".
Maybe have a look at this:
https://twitter.com/Bitfinexed

Looks like i have been on the right side in a ponzi. Once in my life, i had luck !

But can´t they make money, and we would make money, and that´s that, then ?
Neo_Coin

Activity: 1204
Merit: 293

"Be Your Own Bank"

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 12:06:28 PM
Last edit: November 04, 2017, 12:18:54 PM by Neo_Coin

The reason is simple:

fabiorem

Activity: 1400
Merit: 347

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 12:28:54 PM

The reason is simple:

Well said. Lets copy and paste this text everytime a forker comes here preaching the word of his religious sect.

Can you imagine the internet with 8 DNS protocols? It would be unusable. Consensus underlines the anarchy of the web.
pfrtlpfmpf

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 01:10:53 PM

I dunno about you guys, but I'm totally cool with Bitcorn sorta hanging out and consolidating where it's currently at. For a day at least... then resume moonshot...

Ok, just for you. But don´t blink !  Smiley

STT
Legendary

Activity: 3892
Merit: 1413

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2017, 01:13:54 PM

Its always more positive to confirm a price, volatility is also represented by a rise as well as a fall.   Especially if the rise is above the overall trend which is immediately true.

I was going to say a normal fib pullback would be more like it
Downside target 6407 very bullish ranging through 6101 to 5857 for a reasonable pullback just nearterm. 5687 is top of the longer term bullish channel for this year, similar to lows for last month
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 01:18:49 PM

really a good interview !

kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 01:30:04 PM

The reason is simple:

Well said. Lets copy and paste this text everytime a forker comes here preaching the word of his religious sect.

Can you imagine the internet with 8 DNS protocols? It would be unusable. Consensus underlines the anarchy of the web.

I have to totally agree with this, but why is the Segwit2X fork happening if it is definitely doomed to fail?  

The consortium behind it is not entirely filled with idiots, they must be hoping to gain enough hashrate to damage BTC and take over as the longer chain somehow, right?   So do they have a way of ensuring miners / exchanges work in their favour?

If you want bigger blocks, there is already BCH.  So are the people who are thinking it's simply 'free money' again right, or is there another narrative I am not seeing?

Most people in Bitcoin, given the price right now, are probably fine with the status quo.  Yes, Core has been slow to address the scaling issue, but why kill the golden goose?   This is my gut feeling - but am I missing something?

If it looks like a power grab and smells like a power grab, then it probably is one, yep.  But what drives this - is it simply because Core is THAT hated?  And if it is, will the 2X cohort have any chance of pulling this off...

I ask as I can't see why people would throw money at something that is likely to fail.  It seems the majority here assume this will not work, but it is true there are serious risks of disruption and uncertainty if miners move.  It won't be easy to split and sell 2X because of replay protection issues, so users can 't easily dump the hell out of it.  Miners are still signalling.  So, is this attack more credible than I can see, or just plain stupidity?
Pages: « 1 ... 18031 18032 18033 18034 18035 18036 18037 18038 18039 18040 18041 18042 18043 18044 18045 18046 18047 18048 18049 18050 18051 18052 18053 18054 18055 18056 18057 18058 18059 18060 18061 18062 18063 18064 18065 18066 18067 18068 18069 18070 18071 18072 18073 18074 18075 18076 18077 18078 18079 18080 [18081] 18082 18083 18084 18085 18086 18087 18088 18089 18090 18091 18092 18093 18094 18095 18096 18097 18098 18099 18100 18101 18102 18103 18104 18105 18106 18107 18108 18109 18110 18111 18112 18113 18114 18115 18116 18117 18118 18119 18120 18121 18122 18123 18124 18125 18126 18127 18128 18129 18130 18131 ... 33278 »
  Print  

Jump to: