April 25, 2024, 04:33:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 19429 19430 19431 19432 19433 19434 19435 19436 19437 19438 19439 19440 19441 19442 19443 19444 19445 19446 19447 19448 19449 19450 19451 19452 19453 19454 19455 19456 19457 19458 19459 19460 19461 19462 19463 19464 19465 19466 19467 19468 19469 19470 19471 19472 19473 19474 19475 19476 19477 19478 [19479] 19480 19481 19482 19483 19484 19485 19486 19487 19488 19489 19490 19491 19492 19493 19494 19495 19496 19497 19498 19499 19500 19501 19502 19503 19504 19505 19506 19507 19508 19509 19510 19511 19512 19513 19514 19515 19516 19517 19518 19519 19520 19521 19522 19523 19524 19525 19526 19527 19528 19529 ... 33300 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26367531 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
bitebits
Legendary

Activity: 2211
Merit: 3178

Flippin' burgers since 1163.

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 08:57:23 AM

[...] even if you are still spending a considerable amount of time trying to figure out what it is that you invested into, exactly.  hahahahahaha [...]
Working on that on almost a daily basis since Q3 2013. And admittedly still barely have a clue. But since it glows in the dark I can't stop looking at it and investigate why.

[...] Sitarow, would likely fit my rough relative timeline categorization of a BTC OG)...
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=OG does not help me much here. What?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Last of the V8s
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 4392

Be a bank

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 09:08:05 AM
Merited by Dabs (1)

many predictions out there that 'dominance' will fall to 18-22% in 2018 because
greed/newbie speculators/organised pumps/airdrops'n'forks/direct fiat-alt pairs on many exchanges incoming

ready for other stupids: fake news (Peter Woolly is a sex pest(video proof), Maxwell ate my hamster). BCH at 0.45. Lightning not perfect and it's July already (Sept, Nov). Precious metals minor pump. ICO prosecutions=bitcoin is bad. China bans. UK to propose btc is 'against national economic interest' therefore terroristicalist. ETH hacks. Onramps 'hacks'/scams/regulation. No global meltdown in Spring. Or Summer.

we: 'really?'
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10148

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 09:11:21 AM
Merited by Dabs (1), BTCMILLIONAIRE (1)

BTC dominance is sinking and sinking.

I don't really like this.

Altcoins are thriving just as before the crash and it gets worst.
That's to be expected considering that there is only one Bitcoin and over a thousand altcoins. I don't really see an issue with that though, especially when considering that most altcoins are bound to eventually evaporate like dot com companies and the likes.

With the number of coins slowly losing dominance over time is expected, but, this loss has been quick. What's more, we are likely close to another coin becoming the market leader. Can you imagine that, A banker coin like ripple, and a broken dictator coin like ethereum becoming the peoples choice.

I should never of expected different I guess, most people in this world are dumb arse sheep only care about profits rather than making the financial system better.

This effect is bound to accelerate with the growth of the overall crypto market. The more people buy into Bitcoin, the more people will find interest in altcoins and the larger the potential volume that can trigger growth in altcoins will become. It's a snowball effect.
A question that I find interesting is whether or not Bitcoin will regain dominance massively once the "big crash" comes and useless shitcoins as well as all the ponzis and scams get obliterated.

Yes.  I think that the snowball effect analogy is a good one, yet I don't think that it matters that much whether bitcoin gains or regains dominance because in the end bitcoin is going to remain king because it's fundamentals are the strongest....

I think that one decent side effect of the alt coin craze involves the kind of diversion effect that it has in terms of being able to bring a lot of capital into the crypto space that ultimately is going to allow bitcoin to grow and grow and grow without bitcoin having to serve as the main focus, whether it is regulations, innovations or even investment, and a lot of that money is going to flow back into bitcoin in one way or another and support the bitcoin ecosystem, one way or another even while many of those other coins are simultaneously leeching off of bitcoin's security and strength of its infrastructure.

I may be contradicting myself because in the short run, I am suggesting that we should not give too many ratts' asses about bitcoin's dominance or whether there are various flippenings, ripplings, cashenings, dashenings, etc... so in the short run confusion and even diversion of funds into a variety of other crypto projects, but in the longer run... maybe 30 years.. good money is going to flow into the good asset, which is going to likely remain bitcoin based on bitcoin's security and longer term strong foundations... there may be one or two others, such as Monero that also can keep a decent foundation... but coins like ETH might have some difficulties keeping up because of their being so spread out and likely going to lose money through their many security lackings... and I am surprised that they already have not been brought down a few times by some of the bugs and the fact that so many scam coins have been using them.  Coins like ETH are also going to have centralization like difficulties that may cause regulatory issues, unless they can increase their decentralization of their quasi-centralized aspects.. but they don't seem to be heading that way.. especially talking proof of stake mumbo jumbo baloney, which does not seem to help with centralization aspects of those projects/coins.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 09:14:15 AM
Merited by RoomBot (1)

I think alts are a disease and we won't have another 10x or 100x increase until the alts largely die off. Every time bitcoin pumps and the alts pump even harder, it is like cancer overtaking the body every time it starts getting healthy. This sickness will have to run it's course and when the disease has been cured/eradicated, bitcoin can finally grow to it's true potential. This will probably take a few more years.

I largely agree with you, but I really don't think that alts are as negative as you are making them out to be because they both cause a stagnation of bitcoin's growth but they cause fuel for bitcoin's growth too... both of these dynamics are happening at the same time... and the honey badger does not give a shit.   Cheesy
Sitarow
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 09:15:13 AM

I think alts are a disease and we won't have another 10x or 100x increase until the alts largely die off. Every time bitcoin pumps and the alts pump even harder, it is like cancer overtaking the body every time it starts getting healthy. This sickness will have to run it's course and when the disease has been cured/eradicated, bitcoin can finally grow to it's true potential. This will probably take a few more years.

The real issue is how Bitcoin cash Bitcoin gold are being used to trade between cryptocurrency pair to prop them up. Pay attention to dash zec ltc eth.
Every time one of those pairs to BTC have lower trading  volume is being used to keep for instance ETH/BTC at a target of 0.0100 when BTC recovers then ETH/BTC goes past that 0.0102 and then those gains get drained and put into zec with the latest move.
somac.
Legendary

Activity: 2047
Merit: 1182

Never selling

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 09:15:13 AM

Its likely part of a cycle - I (speculatively) can see an alt bubble followed by a BTC surge

Its been a few days since I've checked all the prices and I must say I am stunned that the alts are coming back so hard.

I hope you're right starmman, but, it just doesn't look like BTC will ever regain its dominance to even the 50% level. Hell, look at ripple up 50%, people were wiped out on that recently and it just doesn't seem to matter. I consider most alts to be shit, but, I guess when it's all speculating it doesn't really matter that they are shit.

Market cap and bitcoin dominance can be a misleading indicator for all the reasons that you already stated... so in that regard, people who understand the value of bitcoin are going to realize that bitcoin is the one to buy rather than gambling on those many other alt coins - and useful also NOT to get distracted by coinmarket cap, at least in terms of informing you about the dominance of BTC's fundamentals in comparison to any (and all) of the other coins.

Doesn't matter what I think, and as you said "people who understand the value of bitcoin". Newbies don't understand shit, but, they do understand metrics like market cap, so it will hurt bitcoin. If bitcoin is not number one on the shitty marketcap metric that will hurt bitcoin adoption plain and simple.

What do the advertisers say? "you don't need a good product, just good marketing"
Sitarow
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 09:20:37 AM

Its likely part of a cycle - I (speculatively) can see an alt bubble followed by a BTC surge

Its been a few days since I've checked all the prices and I must say I am stunned that the alts are coming back so hard.

I hope you're right starmman, but, it just doesn't look like BTC will ever regain its dominance to even the 50% level. Hell, look at ripple up 50%, people were wiped out on that recently and it just doesn't seem to matter. I consider most alts to be shit, but, I guess when it's all speculating it doesn't really matter that they are shit.
Altcoins are predominantly denominated in BTC. So when BTC goes up by X%, alts will usually go up by at least X% as well in terms of USD. This will cause people to think that alts are entering a bull run, which might trigger buy orders that will drive up their price in terms of BTC as well, which will ultimately lead to a price rise above the X% of BTC in terms of USD.

Why is that happening only now and not before?

Before people would only pay attention to BTC/xyzcoin trading pairs.

Now we have the copycat namesake and all BCHBCCBcash that is being used to move and pump/dump between alt trading pairs.

BCH and BTG are like us creating another USD and having special interest groups declare it legal tender.

This "trend" needs to be addressed much like fraudulent ICO's have.

This really falls on the responsibilities of the exchanges.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 09:23:41 AM

Market cap and bitcoin dominance can be a misleading indicator for all the reasons that you already stated... so in that regard, people who understand the value of bitcoin are going to realize that bitcoin is the one to buy rather than gambling on those many other alt coins - and useful also NOT to get distracted by coinmarket cap, at least in terms of informing you about the dominance of BTC's fundamentals in comparison to any (and all) of the other coins.

Crypto War successful and ongoing (block size, transactions, hard forks, media)

create less reliance on bitcoin and more on centralized tokens

pump alts, sell tokens to newbs

create national tokens (russia coin, Petro coin etc), pump for newbs

sell into bitcoin - big pump (Huge) before next battle on bitcoin exchanges (corrupt, broke, no reserves, multiple exchanges as well as other btc scams)

legislate exchange and ban btc to promote national crypto

btc crash and they hope for good

lets see how it all pans out (within next 10 months)

It's going to take a whole hell of a lot longer than 10 months for all of these things to play out.

I agree with you mymenace that a lot of these things are happening and a lot of like things are going to happen in the crypto space and maybe even attempts to target and to undermine bitcoin, but even if a lot of these things happen all over the globe, it does not result in bitcoin successfully being stagnated and repressed, even though there might be some shorter-term and localized successes that might only last a short period of time because bitcoin is all over the fucking place, and there are a lot of governmental difficulties to coordinate, even if BIG ASS financial players attempt to coordinate their attacks on bitcoin, even the BIG ASS financial players are not sufficiently unified to pull off some kind of successful unified repression of bitcoin on a world-wide basis...

TLDR - bitcoin has become too BIG, too decentralized and too strong to kill...  the toothpaste is out of the tube, and it's like trying to kill the internet; good luck with that..
rolling

Activity: 824
Merit: 712

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 09:26:31 AM
Merited by infofront (1), Karartma1 (1)

Doesn't matter what I think, and as you said "people who understand the value of bitcoin". Newbies don't understand shit, but, they do understand metrics like market cap, so it will hurt bitcoin. If bitcoin is not number one on the shitty marketcap metric that will hurt bitcoin adoption plain and simple.

What do the advertisers say? "you don't need a good product, just good marketing"

In that case, bitcoin was fucked from day one. 21 million coins for the entire world economy was never going to work. Most world citizens (>99%) have never had $8750 at one time in their lives. They will never buy bitcoin at that price. They will buy Ripple for $1 instead.

EDIT: Yes, I know they are divisible but the average idiot can't comprehend that.
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 09:32:12 AM

Pen's of steel!

And green dildo's, so far so good quite plenty in the last 24 hrs.

mymenace
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061

Smile

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 09:33:58 AM

sell into bitcoin - big pump (Huge) before next battle on bitcoin exchanges (corrupt, broke, no reserves, multiple exchanges as well as other btc scams)

It's going to take a whole hell of a lot longer than 10 months for all of these things to play out.

I agree with you mymenace that a lot of these things are happening and a lot of like things are going to happen in the crypto space and maybe even attempts to target and to undermine bitcoin, but even if a lot of these things happen all over the globe, it does not result in bitcoin successfully being stagnated and repressed, even though there might be some shorter-term and localized successes that might only last a short period of time because bitcoin is all over the fucking place, and there are a lot of governmental difficulties to coordinate, even if BIG ASS financial players attempt to coordinate their attacks on bitcoin, even the BIG ASS financial players are not sufficiently unified to pull off some kind of successful unified repression of bitcoin on a world-wide basis...

TLDR - bitcoin has become too BIG, too decentralized and too strong to kill...  the toothpaste is out of the tube, and it's like trying to kill the internet; good luck with that..

I agree, completely

just mentioning the enemies tactics, usually successful

yeah bitcoin just seems too damn strong a network to change though

and the attacks begin again, just reading this

https://www.rt.com/business/418390-france-germany-bitcoin-clampdown/

From the enemy themselves the Bank for International Settlements (BIS), direct from the IMF

somac.
Legendary

Activity: 2047
Merit: 1182

Never selling

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 09:35:35 AM

In that case, bitcoin was fucked from day one. 21 million coins for the entire world economy was never going to work. Most world citizens (>99%) have never had $8750 at one time in their lives. They will never buy bitcoin at that price. They will buy Ripple for $1 instead.

EDIT: Yes, I know they are divisible but the average idiot can't comprehend that.

The real problem though is that the idiots don't understand the importance or decentralization, lack of a central authority, deflationary monetary system, developer talent, trustless, and so on. Bitcoin is the best coin without a doubt in my opinion. But, how in the fuck can we get mass adoption, when most people still think the media, and governments are the good guys. Crypto will get mass adoption, but, I fear that it will be a bullshit coin supported by the banks, media, and governments.

mymenace
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061

Smile

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 09:41:06 AM

The real problem though is that the idiots don't understand the importance or decentralization, lack of a central authority, deflationary monetary system, developer talent, trustless, and so on. Bitcoin is the best coin without a doubt in my opinion. But, how in the fuck can we get mass adoption, when most people still think the media, and governments are the good guys. Crypto will get mass adoption, but, I fear that it will be a bullshit coin supported by the banks, media, and governments.

The real enemy is the sheeple and yet also the customer

JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 09:41:41 AM
Merited by bitebits (1)

[...] even if you are still spending a considerable amount of time trying to figure out what it is that you invested into, exactly.  hahahahahaha [...]
Working on that on almost a daily basis since Q3 2013. And admittedly still barely have a clue. But since it glows in the dark I can't stop looking at it and investigate why.

There are so many levels of bitcoin including but not limited to technicals, socio-economics, political, financials - including market performance, relations to other projects other assets and other crypto projects, and even when you believe that you might begin to grasp some aspects of bitcoin specifically, there evolve more aspects to learn whether those are changes or just changes in the relationships.

Even history changes depending on who is telling the story, so we are battling actual facts and made up shit... such as the BCH story that they are the real bitcoin.

[...] Sitarow, would likely fit my rough relative timeline categorization of a BTC OG)...
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=OG does not help me much here. What?

OG  = original gangster

I think that the label is relative because in part it can signify how long you have been around the space and it can signify how much you know or how involved you have been.  So, maybe you and I have been around the space for a similar time, but then newer comers might consider us to be OG, but we might not consider ourselves to be OG relative to folks who got in earlier or relative to folks who may have been more involved in the space.  I have heard some folks claiming to be a kind of OG because they got involved in 2016, and since things move so fast, that could be considered OG to someone who just got involved in late 2017 or early 2018.
gembitz

Activity: 1834
Merit: 639

*Brute force will solve any Bitcoin problem*

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 09:42:58 AM

Cool

$1O,OOO BTCBTCstreet price*
#checkmate
rolling

Activity: 824
Merit: 712

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 09:43:57 AM

I agree, I think the coins that will do the best with the coming mass adoption will be the ones who have the largest number of coins in circulation so they seem cheap to the idiots. Why buy a bitcoin when you can buy 10 ETH or 8000 XRP for the same price? Luckily, big institutional money will still flow into bitcoin.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 09:48:12 AM

Altcoins are predominantly denominated in BTC. So when BTC goes up by X%, alts will usually go up by at least X% as well in terms of USD. This will cause people to think that alts are entering a bull run, which might trigger buy orders that will drive up their price in terms of BTC as well, which will ultimately lead to a price rise above the X% of BTC in terms of USD.

Why is that happening only now and not before?

Before people would only pay attention to BTC/xyzcoin trading pairs.

Now we have the copycat namesake and all BCHBCCBcash that is being used to move and pump/dump between alt trading pairs.

BCH and BTG are like us creating another USD and having special interest groups declare it legal tender.

This "trend" needs to be addressed much like fraudulent ICO's have.

This really falls on the responsibilities of the exchanges.

You are describing aspects of the free market, and if exchanges can make money on it, then they will do it.

Sure there could be some issues of politiking and stealing of BTC's namesake, and perhaps much of this will get sorted over time with whatever coin(s) have the best fundamentals... It could take several years for folks to realize some of the differences.... and in the meantime, there is a large bit of wild, wild west out there, including exchanges that also want to convolute and get into the misleading game.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 09:53:18 AM
Last edit: February 10, 2018, 10:03:28 AM by JayJuanGee

When bitcoin is $100k or $1million per unit, they are going to be even less affordable, but so fucking what?  Not everyone can own a whole bitcoin, and sooner or later that fact is going to sink in.  Right now, there are quite a few peeps who can relatively easily own 1million satoshis, but later on, even that goal is going to become more difficult for peeps to achieve.  So if they want to be bitcoin rich, they better get their asses onboard earlier rather than putting their money into some scam that may or may not help them in the BTC accumulation arena.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 10:00:49 AM

TLDR - bitcoin has become too BIG, too decentralized and too strong to kill...  the toothpaste is out of the tube, and it's like trying to kill the internet; good luck with that..

I agree, completely

just mentioning the enemies tactics, usually successful

yeah bitcoin just seems too damn strong a network to change though

and the attacks begin again, just reading this

https://www.rt.com/business/418390-france-germany-bitcoin-clampdown/

From the enemy themselves the Bank for International Settlements (BIS), direct from the IMF

Don't get me wrong.  I cannot see the future with any kind of meaningful precision, and I don't think that any of us needs to see the future exactly.

I am NOT asserting that the various attacks on bitcoin will not have various successes along the way to stifle bitcoin and to divert to mislead people into NOT buying bitcoin; however, it is also likely that BTC is also going to adapt to these various ongoing attacks - just like there was some adapting that took place within bitcoin because of the various BIG blocker attacks and hardfork attacks - whether from propaganda or actual actions of XT, Classic, Segwit2x, Bcash.. blah blah blah...

With the passage of time, even though various attacks on bitcoin and interest groups against bitcoin can attempt to consolidate and throw more resources at undermining bitcoin, there are also various ways that bitcoin has grown and has become stronger and less centralized and likely to carry on, even if some aspects of bitcoin are taken down by attacks.  

So, certainly, I am NOT arguing that bitcoin is some kind of monolithic existence but instead bitcoin is also like an organism, too.. that is all over the fucking place, and there is no central place to attack... When have we had this kind of new paradigm shifting phenomenon with proof of work spread over the planet and more computing power than any other system... and  bitcoin can grow and evolve too.. including ongoing developments like lightning network seems to cause bitcoin to become even less centralized and more powerful as a decentralized paradigm shifting phenomenon... .. still growing.. still growing.. and maybe even there are some set backs in bitcoin from time to time, too.. but it's pending death or demise is over exaggerated.
Karartma1
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 10:06:05 AM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

I agree, I think the coins that will do the best with the coming mass adoption will be the ones who have the largest number of coins in circulation so they seem cheap to the idiots. Why buy a bitcoin when you can buy 10 ETH or 8000 XRP for the same price? Luckily, big institutional money will still flow into bitcoin.

Are you guys telling me that if we properly advertise Dogecoin (yes, DOGE, much wow) that is going to be a valuable coin for the masses? I mean infinite supply, so cheap, much fun.
Insane
Pages: « 1 ... 19429 19430 19431 19432 19433 19434 19435 19436 19437 19438 19439 19440 19441 19442 19443 19444 19445 19446 19447 19448 19449 19450 19451 19452 19453 19454 19455 19456 19457 19458 19459 19460 19461 19462 19463 19464 19465 19466 19467 19468 19469 19470 19471 19472 19473 19474 19475 19476 19477 19478 [19479] 19480 19481 19482 19483 19484 19485 19486 19487 19488 19489 19490 19491 19492 19493 19494 19495 19496 19497 19498 19499 19500 19501 19502 19503 19504 19505 19506 19507 19508 19509 19510 19511 19512 19513 19514 19515 19516 19517 19518 19519 19520 19521 19522 19523 19524 19525 19526 19527 19528 19529 ... 33300 »
  Print  

Jump to: