April 23, 2024, 11:31:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 19504 19505 19506 19507 19508 19509 19510 19511 19512 19513 19514 19515 19516 19517 19518 19519 19520 19521 19522 19523 19524 19525 19526 19527 19528 19529 19530 19531 19532 19533 19534 19535 19536 19537 19538 19539 19540 19541 19542 19543 19544 19545 19546 19547 19548 19549 19550 19551 19552 19553 [19554] 19555 19556 19557 19558 19559 19560 19561 19562 19563 19564 19565 19566 19567 19568 19569 19570 19571 19572 19573 19574 19575 19576 19577 19578 19579 19580 19581 19582 19583 19584 19585 19586 19587 19588 19589 19590 19591 19592 19593 19594 19595 19596 19597 19598 19599 19600 19601 19602 19603 19604 ... 33296 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26366930 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
julian071

Activity: 1132
Merit: 818

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 09:13:23 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1), Toxic2040 (1)

Sometimes I seriously wonder if people have some unconscious desire to be poor and mediocre. I just cannot fathom how somebody could wish to be more than they are without trying to work towards that goal with even the tiniest increments.

This bothers me a lot about people. I can't get why they are not willing to change up their lifestyle and mindset to reach the goals they desire. My theory on why so far, is that they are easier satisfied and they are happy enough with things staying like the way they are. Therefore don't feel the need to work on oneself. Some people just don't need much in life and are perfectly fine being mediocre. It's something that I sometimes I admire in people, the simplicity of being satisfied with less.

It's a matter of perspective. Some may find the persuit of riches a display of emptyness of the soul, and poor, in a spiritual way. Mediocre, so to speak.

My GF will never ever be rich. She works with the elderly in a nursing home. Pays shit and is totally brutal in all kinds of ways from time to time. On the other hand very rewarding too, the people she takes care of are often very grateful (when they're not flinging their own feces because they're so demented they think that is the only way to defend themselves from the strangers they find themselves surrounded with), and she knows she is really making a difference in the lives of those people.

I could never ever do that kind of work, respect her very much for it. Find it a lot harder to respect people who think they are better because they are richer.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BTCMILLIONAIRE

Activity: 1358
Merit: 834

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 09:14:22 PM
Merited by explorer (1)

Hopefully not to the tee. If the timeline was the same we'd be quite far off from mainstream adoption. Wouldn't mind seeing it a bit earlier than that. Wasn't the internet fairly unpopular until 2012ish and on? Don't really remember when it exploded anymore since I kept doing my thing unphased.

Not sure of the year but I think it exploded when the 56k modem finally arrived and you didn't have to wait 30 minutes for a playboy pic to load anymore.
Maybe the US was different, but I remember the internet still being very much fringe even when the first DSL flat rates were just coming out.

Sometimes I seriously wonder if people have some unconscious desire to be poor and mediocre. I just cannot fathom how somebody could wish to be more than they are without trying to work towards that goal with even the tiniest increments.

This bothers me a lot about people. I can't get why they are not willing to change up their lifestyle and mindset to reach the goals they desire. My theory on why so far, is that they are easier satisfied and they are happy enough with things staying like the way they are. Therefore don't feel the need to work on oneself. Some people just don't need much in life and are perfectly fine being mediocre. It's something that I sometimes I admire in people, the simplicity of being satisfied with less.
But why would they complain so much if they were satisfied? And why would depression and suicide rates both be climbing?

That is a very good question, but we cannot just assume that it's because the whole population of the poor and mediocre are all depressed and suicidal deep inside. Even smart people seem to be more likely to be depressed and doubt one self. Because they tend to live more in their head and overthink things.

With the arrival of the information age I think we have produced way more smart people than ever before. The internet has become such a powerful tool to educate yourself, anybody with an cellphone has a tremendous amount of knowledge in their pocket. Too bad many people choose to not use it to it's fullest potential. So that could be one of the reasons why depression and suicide rates are climbing. I'm not sure I have not done research on this matter.

I overthink 24/7. It's what I enjoy the most, even when it gets frustrating at times. Also, having information available or even knowing it by heart doesn't mean that you're going to be great at assimilating it or at creating things by drawing from your knowledge and reshaping it into something new. It's why schools utterly fail to produce outstanding people.

But you're right, depression isn't just common among mediocre people. I believe there was a study that concluded that people with much less (e.g. those that are basically starving and have nothing) tend to be happier on average than people in first world countries. Not sure how rigorous that study was though.
BTCMILLIONAIRE

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 09:15:39 PM
Merited by julian071 (10)

It's a matter of perspective. Some may find the persuit of riches a display of emptyness of the soul, and poor, in a spiritual way. Mediocre, so to speak.

My GF will never ever be rich. She works with the elderly in a nursing home. Pays shit and is totally brutal in all kinds of ways from time to time. On the other hand very rewarding too, the people she takes care of are often very grateful (when they're not flinging their own feces because they're so demented they think that is the only way to defend themselves from the strangers they find themselves surrounded with).

I could never ever do that kind of work, respect her very much for it. Find it a lot harder to respect people who think they are better because they are richer.
I would even go as far as arguing that rich people who think they're better than others are the biggest retards of all for having "made it" without learning anything whatsoever along the way.
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174

Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 09:18:16 PM

We have (barely) broken the downward channel which has dominated since $17k.   Even if the pump doesn’t hold, the channel is now vulnerable.  It could be the end of the bear market.

I have a hard time thinking of this pullback from a monster pump as anything close to a bear market.

Most would consider a 70% retracement from ATH as a crash.  Even in Bitcoin.  I am not wordy man so I will leave it at that.
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 09:22:43 PM
Merited by Toxic2040 (1)

Leveraged Longs v leveraged shorts have momentarily stabilized at 2:1.   Is this what a balanced market looks like?  Mem pool is back to growing ever so slightly.

ChinkyEyes

Activity: 687
Merit: 301

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 09:26:24 PM

Hopefully not to the tee. If the timeline was the same we'd be quite far off from mainstream adoption. Wouldn't mind seeing it a bit earlier than that. Wasn't the internet fairly unpopular until 2012ish and on? Don't really remember when it exploded anymore since I kept doing my thing unphased.

Now that we have the internet, BTC will explode onto the mainstream much faster. Every year now will be like 5 pre-internet-ubiquity years.

I agree, with social media, the news is in your face 24/7 now. It's insane how much the mobile phone has become a part of life. We are not far away from mainstream, Bitcoin as a brand has already been implemented in everybody's brain. As seen in the video of Ellen DeGeneres everybody knows about the brand Bitcoin, but they can't explain what it is. A few more cycles of bitcoin mooning and the mainstream media does the rest.
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 09:29:37 PM

My GF will never ever be rich. She works with the elderly in a nursing home. Pays shit and is totally brutal in all kinds of ways from time to time. On the other hand very rewarding too, the people she takes care of are often very grateful (when they're not flinging their own feces because they're so demented they think that is the only way to defend themselves from the strangers they find themselves surrounded with).

I would even go as far as arguing that rich people who think they're better than others are the biggest retards of all for having "made it" without learning anything whatsoever along the way.

I'm Roger Ver, you poor fucks!
romneymoney

Activity: 193
Merit: 117

HODL

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 09:29:45 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

In 1994 I was a freshman at college.  The campus had recently been wired for data, so we had an always on internet connection in the dorms.  Despite that most of my activity was local/offline on my 486 dx2 playing Mortal Kombat.   I recall using gopher to retrieve a radar image during a snowstorm and accessing my files on the "cloud" at the computer lab, but that's about it.  The internet was there, but without a browser it wasn't much like what we think of now.
By 1998 things had changed alot.  Win 95/98 IE/Netscape made it much more useful and simple to use the internet and sites began to proliferate.  I had dropped out to take a 35k job at a search engine optimization company (which seemed like alot at the time) that quickly went out of biz, but my connections from that job led to other connections that have kept me working for the 20 years since.

tldr; if it's 1994,  buckle up, things will be unrecognizable in 4 years.
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 09:29:58 PM

Tera:  you have been very quiet lately. Care to share your thoughts on the state of the market?  Do you think we are still shaping for a bull trap or is this the real deal TM?
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 09:30:23 PM

In terms of awareness it is probably 1998 but adoption wise it is probably around 1995 with just the university kids on the Net. Cool colleagues have just started trading crypto but the rest is still ignoring it. Some probably will the rest of their lives  Grin
ChinkyEyes

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 09:32:00 PM
Merited by Torque (1)

That is a very good question, but we cannot just assume that it's because the whole population of the poor and mediocre are all depressed and suicidal deep inside. Even smart people seem to be more likely to be depressed and doubt one self. Because they tend to live more in their head and overthink things.

With the arrival of the information age I think we have produced way more smart people than ever before. The internet has become such a powerful tool to educate yourself, anybody with an cellphone has a tremendous amount of knowledge in their pocket. Too bad many people choose to not use it to it's fullest potential. So that could be one of the reasons why depression and suicide rates are climbing. I'm not sure I have not done research on this matter.

There were several polls where people tried to find a correlation between the income and happiness.
The population of US as a whole indicated that increases up to 75K/year would make them happier, but further increase would not (average US family income is about 50-53K).

Then, the second poll only dealt with millionaires ($8 mil average).
Millionaires indicated that they need 500% to 1000% increase in their wealth to feel happy.
High expectations!

That are very high expectations lol
I personally think wealth does not create more happiness, only to a certain point can it make you happy. By making life easier and have the opportunity to pursue your goals.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2018, 09:35:07 PM

I have run into this a lot, especially in foreign countries, when I need something and I am willing to pay for it. The difficulty of getting so many services makes me keep thinking in my head "do you hate money!?!". In Germany when I was looking for an apartment I felt like just driving down the street with a wad of euros in my hand shouting "I will pay you to rent a place, hell I'll over-pay!". I ended up just using AirBnB to find a place.
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 09:44:57 PM

I have run into this a lot, especially in foreign countries, when I need something and I am willing to pay for it. The difficulty of getting so many services makes me keep thinking in my head "do you hate money!?!". In Germany when I was looking for an apartment I felt like just driving down the street with a wad of euros in my hand shouting "I will pay you to rent a place, hell I'll over-pay!". I ended up just using AirBnB to find a place.

Throwing money at a problem is often a way to solve it fast with no fuss.  Doesn't exercise your brain much, but it's fun sometimes.  I spent too many years using ingenuity by necessity to switch to cash throwing directly, but its  getting easier - though the bold thought is constantly there!
mr angry

Activity: 298
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 09:45:45 PM

There were several polls where people tried to find a correlation between the income and happiness.
The population of US as a whole indicated that increases up to 75K/year would make them happier, but further increase would not (average US family income is about 50-53K).

Anyone earning ridiculous amounts of money will make people jealous. Coping with that jealousy would make most people miserable and depressed. Imagine parking your lambo then returning and finding someone jealous has scratched the paint work.
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3843

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 09:46:10 PM

Perhaps 2018 is bitcoin's 1994.
...By 1998 things had changed alot.  Win 95/98 IE/Netscape made it much more useful and simple to use the internet and sites began to proliferate.  I had dropped out to take a 35k job at a search engine optimization company (which seemed like alot at the time) that quickly went out of biz, but my connections from that job led to other connections that have kept me working for the 20 years since.

tldr; if it's 1994,  buckle up, things will be unrecognizable in 4 years.

What would be our Netscape moment? Or AOL temporary dominance?
Is Lightning a.k.a Netscape (without the IPO) and is Coinbase/Binance/Bitfinex, perhaps, the AOL equivalent?
Or, would it be something else out of left field?
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 09:48:51 PM

You need a leasing agent who is working for you to take you around. 
sirazimuth
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 3482

born once atheist

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 09:49:19 PM

Not sure of the year but I think it exploded when the 56k modem finally arrived and you didn't have to wait 30 minutes for a playboy pic to load anymore.

around 1995
got me my monster WIN 95 2 Gb HD (twice as much as most others at the time) system and 200MHertz processor
or something.
I got me my 56k modem and trolled on the Prodigy niteshift chat rooms when I worked 2nd shift.
I loved trolling the chatrooms. One in particular I'll never forget called "Prodigy Polite Chat"
my chat buddy dared me to go in there and type in all caps
HEY IS THIS WHERE ALL YOU POLITE MOTHERFUCKERS SHOOT THE SHIT!!?  
It was late I'd had a few and I'm a nerdy young asshat so I did   ...lol
Some dude answered back and I quote "no this is where we shoot assholes!! " lmao, great comeback bud!!
Anyway got banned for a week but we had a good laugh about it, and I can tell my grand kids the story when I'm in the nursing home....

Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3843

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 09:49:54 PM

Anyone earning ridiculous amounts of money will make people jealous. Coping with that jealousy would make most people miserable and depressed. Imagine parking your lambo then returning and finding someone jealous has scratched the paint work.

It does not seem to happen around here (south of US) as there are lots of good cars around (mostly beemers and jags, though).
Not many lambos.
ChinkyEyes

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 09:50:12 PM

Maybe the US was different, but I remember the internet still being very much fringe even when the first DSL flat rates were just coming out.

But why would they complain so much if they were satisfied? And why would depression and suicide rates both be climbing?

I overthink 24/7. It's what I enjoy the most, even when it gets frustrating at times. Also, having information available or even knowing it by heart doesn't mean that you're going to be great at assimilating it or at creating things by drawing from your knowledge and reshaping it into something new. It's why schools utterly fail to produce outstanding people.

But you're right, depression isn't just common among mediocre people. I believe there was a study that concluded that people with much less (e.g. those that are basically starving and have nothing) tend to be happier on average than people in first world countries. Not sure how rigorous that study was though.

I agree, schools are only focusing on one way of teaching. It feels like how I imagine a car must feel like when it is being assembled in the factory.

BTCMILLIONAIRE

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 09:51:01 PM

In terms of awareness it is probably 1998 but adoption wise it is probably around 1995 with just the university kids on the Net. Cool colleagues have just started trading crypto but the rest is still ignoring it. Some probably will the rest of their lives  Grin
I'm not even sure if the mainstream will get into crypto the same way as us. I could see them using it as a replacement for Paypal and credit cards in the "far" future or in some more sophisticated form of cryptokittes. But the general population isn't into risks, especially if they aren't very obvious and layed out for you as if you were braindead (like modern games). And crypto is inherently fuzzy and unpredictable without an understanding of real world Economics or at least Statistics.
Pages: « 1 ... 19504 19505 19506 19507 19508 19509 19510 19511 19512 19513 19514 19515 19516 19517 19518 19519 19520 19521 19522 19523 19524 19525 19526 19527 19528 19529 19530 19531 19532 19533 19534 19535 19536 19537 19538 19539 19540 19541 19542 19543 19544 19545 19546 19547 19548 19549 19550 19551 19552 19553 [19554] 19555 19556 19557 19558 19559 19560 19561 19562 19563 19564 19565 19566 19567 19568 19569 19570 19571 19572 19573 19574 19575 19576 19577 19578 19579 19580 19581 19582 19583 19584 19585 19586 19587 19588 19589 19590 19591 19592 19593 19594 19595 19596 19597 19598 19599 19600 19601 19602 19603 19604 ... 33296 »
  Print  

Jump to: