March 28, 2024, 10:41:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
$65,000 - 59 (86.8%)
$48,000 - 9 (13.2%)
Total Voters: 68

Pages: « 1 ... 20562 20563 20564 20565 20566 20567 20568 20569 20570 20571 20572 20573 20574 20575 20576 20577 20578 20579 20580 20581 20582 20583 20584 20585 20586 20587 20588 20589 20590 20591 20592 20593 20594 20595 20596 20597 20598 20599 20600 20601 20602 20603 20604 20605 20606 20607 20608 20609 20610 20611 [20612] 20613 20614 20615 20616 20617 20618 20619 20620 20621 20622 20623 20624 20625 20626 20627 20628 20629 20630 20631 20632 20633 20634 20635 20636 20637 20638 20639 20640 20641 20642 20643 20644 20645 20646 20647 20648 20649 20650 20651 20652 20653 20654 20655 20656 20657 20658 20659 20660 20661 20662 ... 33202 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26336392 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (170 posts by 1 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 04:41:16 PM

Even if so: LN is by design centralized.

This is the big fallacy. Bro, Lightning Network does't make bBitcoin centralized because Lightning Network ISN'T BITCOIN.
So it's not bitcoin being moved around?

Sorry you are right. FTFY
Is that a yes or no?
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 04:42:53 PM

I've been reading anonymint's writings for the past week or so, which also prompted me to dive into some other rabbit holes.

I'm more convinced now of the dangers of segwit. Don't mistake that for being a promotion of bcash.
They will.
Gab0

Activity: 283
Merit: 127

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 05:04:46 PM

I've been reading anonymint's writings for the past week or so, which also prompted me to dive into some other rabbit holes.

I'm more convinced now of the dangers of segwit. Don't mistake that for being a promotion of bcash.

Could you provide me with a link where I can read about that? I remember anonymint's post, but I did not pay enough attention and now I can not find it.
Karartma1
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 05:06:26 PM
Merited by infofront (1)

On the same page here man.
What shocked me is that the more the SegWit/LN bounty grows in value the more likely an anyonecanspend attack becomes likely.
Yes, sure as hell you (me) are not a bcash proponent.
But we have to question everything and never take anything for granted, especially when some of the clues are there.
 Roll Eyes

fluidjax

Activity: 749
Merit: 562

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 05:12:20 PM

If you haven't seen this before it's worth a watch.

Andreas explains why Big Blocks are not going to work. (watch time: 5-6mins, Petabyte Blocks & Streaming Money)

https://youtu.be/AecPrwqjbGw?t=11m39s
Segwit in its current form can't handle hundreds of millions of users either. That was never what it was about. We needed a step up, a year earlier than we got it, and we had a few options to do so. For the current leg, and I repeat myself yet again, why was segwit better than simply doubling the blocksize? Nobody seems willing to explain that bit, for whatever reason.

Because Segwit is an upgrade that enables many new technolgies, L2 & L3. Technologies that will enable millions of TX's per second.

We don't need an incremental step in the wrong direction, as perfectly illustrated by Andreas, big blocks can never fullfill the Bitcoin dream, because PetaByte blocks are effectively impossible.

I guess if you think doing the wrong thing as a temporary fix, and incurring the associated Technical debt is OK. There is little I can do to defend segwit, but in my mind and the minds of many other developers, it's not acceptable, so Big Blocks are not an option at all.

cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 05:13:00 PM

I have been following his arguments for years.  He tends to predict doom a lot.  
Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 05:16:38 PM

Andreas explains why Big Blocks are not going to work. (watch time: 5-6mins, Petabyte Blocks & Streaming Money)

Segwit in its current form can't handle hundreds of millions of users either. That was never what it was about. We needed a step up, a year earlier than we got it, and we had a few options to do so. For the current leg, and I repeat myself yet again, why was segwit better than simply doubling the blocksize? Nobody seems willing to explain that bit, for whatever reason.

Because Segwit is an upgrade that enables many new technolgies, L2 & L3. Technologies that will enable millions of TX's per second.

We don't need an incremental step in the wrong direction, as perfectly illustrated by Andreas, big blocks can never fullfill the Bitcoin dream, because PetaByte blocks are effectively impossible.

I guess if you think doing the wrong thing as a temporary fix, and incurring the associated Technical debt is OK. There is little I can do to defend segwit, but in my mind and the minds of many other developers, it's not acceptable, so Big Blocks are not an option at all.
If bigger blocks are a bad idea then why are you not advocating for a blocksize decrease? Why do we have Precisely the Correct Blocksize as things now stand? Also I'll need to see some convincing numbers for the millions claim.
fluidjax

Activity: 749
Merit: 562

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 05:26:44 PM

If bigger blocks are a bad idea then why are you not advocating for a blocksize decrease? Why do we have Precisely the Correct Blocksize as things now stand? Also I'll need to see some convincing numbers for the millions claim.

The millions claim is based on L2 & L3 technologies that can now be developed because of Segwit, I can't convince you of it, beyond pointing to lightning as the first L2 tech, and my belief that developers will create better and more sophisticated L2 & L3 that will eventually scale up to that figure. There is no obvious ceiling, the limit is in the creativity of the solutions.

I don't advocate a block size reduction at the moment, the best trade-off in block size is yet to be determined.

JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 3962
Merit: 4354

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 05:27:47 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

Hey Jimbo.... when is your cashflow getting lined up in order that you will be able to add to your BTC stash at these "bargain" prices?

within the next month or two?

Waiting for repayment of a $20kCAD family loan. Last week I was told days or a few weeks.

This would be my first multi-coin purchase in many months and would replace the several small sales I was forced to make this year.
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 05:27:51 PM
Merited by d_eddie (1)

Most people who see LN and other Layer 2+ solutions as being the way forward for scaling also realize bigger blocks are an eventual necessity.  But I would want to be conservative.  Since shit expands to fill the space available we should see how we can do with efficiency BEFORE we add resources.  
Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 05:35:51 PM

Most people who see LN and other Layer 2+ solutions as being the way forward for scaling also realize bigger blocks are an eventual necessity.  But I would want to be conservative.  Since shit expands to fill the space available we should see how we can do with efficiency BEFORE we add resources.  
People keep saying that and I call bullshit on it. Why would people start making more transactions just because the network has more capacity? It makes no sense at all.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 05:47:45 PM

Give us thickos some bullet points then.
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 05:55:52 PM

People keep saying that and I call bullshit on it. Why would people start making more transactions just because the network has more capacity? It makes no sense at all.

If you don't see it, you don't see it.  But it is the tragedy of the commons.  Since BTC is permissionless ANYONE can write data to the blockchain.  Therefore they will use the resources available for profit to the extent they can.  The more is given the more will be used.  Some will have commercial (selfish) incentive to do so.

For example anyone building sidechains (think Counterparty) that anchor to the main chain will have to pay fees for everything they write.  These type of projects will chew through resources as fast as they are added.  It's the way of the world.  We don't see it yet because BTC is still in Pre-k.

The base layer has to stay VERY comfortably within Moore's law.

In my opinion we want to be able to run full nodes on cellphones (eventually) and raspberry pi type hardware.  

This means we will just need to be uncomfortably conservative at least at the start.

Block size increases are not the answer to the TSUNAMI of traffic that is on the way.

Like I said... If you don't see it, you don't see it.
mymenace
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061

Smile

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 05:56:12 PM

Give us thickos some bullet points then.

I think it would be possible for BitDNS to be a completely separate network and separate block chain, yet share CPU power with Bitcoin.  The only overlap is to make it so miners can search for proof-of-work for both networks simultaneously.

The networks wouldn't need any coordination.  Miners would subscribe to both networks in parallel.  They would scan SHA such that if they get a hit, they potentially solve both at once.  A solution may be for just one of the networks if one network has a lower difficulty.

I think an external miner could call getwork on both programs and combine the work.  Maybe call Bitcoin, get work from it, hand it to BitDNS getwork to combine into a combined work.

Instead of fragmentation, networks share and augment each other's total CPU power.  This would solve the problem that if there are multiple networks, they are a danger to each other if the available CPU power gangs up on one.  Instead, all networks in the world would share combined CPU power, increasing the total strength.  It would make it easier for small networks to get started by tapping into a ready base of miners.

This is satoshis "Last Vision"

He worked really hard on this before fleeing

sidechain

sidechain

sidechain
Raja_MBZ
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1505

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 05:57:23 PM

Binance Set to Launch Its First Crypto-Fiat Exchange in Uganda

https://cointelegraph.com/news/exclusive-binance-set-to-launch-its-first-crypto-fiat-exchange-in-uganda

An interesting statement by CZ:

“Uganda [is a] really interesting situation, only 11 percent of the population has bank accounts. It’s both a challenge and an opportunity. So it may be easier to adopt cryptocurrency as a form of currency instead of trying to push for bank adoption. It’s an interesting experiment - Africa’s a big market, that’s why we’re there.”
Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 06:03:22 PM

If you don't see it, you don't see it.  But it is the tragedy of the commons.  Since BTC is permissionless ANYONE can write data to the blockchain.  Therefore they will use the resources available for profit to the extent they can.  The more is given the more will be used.  Some will have commercial (selfish) incentive to do so.

For example anyone building sidechains (think Counterparty) that anchor to the main chain will have to pay fees for everything they write.  These type of projects will chew through resources as fast as they are added.  It's the way of the world.  We don't see it yet because BTC is still in Pre-k.

The base layer has to stay VERY comfortably within Moore's law.

In my opinion we want to be able to run full nodes on cellphones (eventually) and raspberry pi type hardware.  

This means we will just need to be uncomfortably conservative at least at the start.

Block size increases are not the answer to the TSUNAMI of traffic that is on the way.

Like I said... If you don't see it, you don't see it.
No, it is not the tragedy of the commons. That is about eating your seed crop. It's not even an analogy to what we are talking about here.

Explain it. With numbers if you can, that would be best given what we are dealing with. Nobody cares about fifteen cent fees so it's not that, people are doing the transactions they want to be doing for their own purposes. What else is there? What makes you believe this is a real thing? And if it is why aren't we still sitting at $20 fees? What is missing from your story?
bitserve
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1454

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 06:06:16 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

Could you be more verbose about that? What are those dangers?

P.S.: But not as much verbose as a thousands words dissertation. Just a simple explanation of your own thinking about the subject.
mymenace
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061

Smile

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 06:13:27 PM

P.S.: But not as much verbose as a thousands words dissertation. Just a simple explanation of your own thinking about the subject.

it goes against the very idea, that is all

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=423.msg3819#msg3819

I believe it'll be possible for a payment processing company to provide as a service the rapid distribution of transactions with good-enough checking in something like 10 seconds or less.

The network nodes only accept the first version of a transaction they receive to incorporate into the block they're trying to generate.  When you broadcast a transaction, if someone else broadcasts a double-spend at the same time, it's a race to propagate to the most nodes first.  If one has a slight head start, it'll geometrically spread through the network faster and get most of the nodes.

A rough back-of-the-envelope example:
1         0
4         1
16        4
64        16
80%      20%

So if a double-spend has to wait even a second, it has a huge disadvantage.

The payment processor has connections with many nodes.  When it gets a transaction, it blasts it out, and at the same time monitors the network for double-spends.  If it receives a double-spend on any of its many listening nodes, then it alerts that the transaction is bad.  A double-spent transaction wouldn't get very far without one of the listeners hearing it.  The double-spender would have to wait until the listening phase is over, but by then, the payment processor's broadcast has reached most nodes, or is so far ahead in propagating that the double-spender has no hope of grabbing a significant percentage of the remaining nodes.

cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 06:15:33 PM

No, it is not the tragedy of the commons. That is about eating your seed crop.

Your seed crop (corn, you mean really) is a centralized private resource.  It is guarded by the farmer.  There is no common use outside of his *centralized* family.  The blockchain is more like the office refrigerator.  It is a public shared resource.  Tragedy of the commons is an absolutely applicable concept.

As to doing a bunch of math for you, sorry no.  I don't need to prove it to you.  And at that I assume we are at an impasse.

Time will tell which of us is right.

I'd say we should have a decent idea by 6/28/2028

bitserve
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1454

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 06:20:35 PM

it goes against the very idea, that is all

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=423.msg3819#msg3819

I believe it'll be possible for a payment processing company to provide as a service the rapid distribution of transactions with good-enough checking in something like 10 seconds or less.

The network nodes only accept the first version of a transaction they receive to incorporate into the block they're trying to generate.  When you broadcast a transaction, if someone else broadcasts a double-spend at the same time, it's a race to propagate to the most nodes first.  If one has a slight head start, it'll geometrically spread through the network faster and get most of the nodes.

A rough back-of-the-envelope example:
1         0
4         1
16        4
64        16
80%      20%

So if a double-spend has to wait even a second, it has a huge disadvantage.

The payment processor has connections with many nodes.  When it gets a transaction, it blasts it out, and at the same time monitors the network for double-spends.  If it receives a double-spend on any of its many listening nodes, then it alerts that the transaction is bad.  A double-spent transaction wouldn't get very far without one of the listeners hearing it.  The double-spender would have to wait until the listening phase is over, but by then, the payment processor's broadcast has reached most nodes, or is so far ahead in propagating that the double-spender has no hope of grabbing a significant percentage of the remaining nodes.

I don't follow you.... How do Segwit impairs detecting/blocking double spendings?
Pages: « 1 ... 20562 20563 20564 20565 20566 20567 20568 20569 20570 20571 20572 20573 20574 20575 20576 20577 20578 20579 20580 20581 20582 20583 20584 20585 20586 20587 20588 20589 20590 20591 20592 20593 20594 20595 20596 20597 20598 20599 20600 20601 20602 20603 20604 20605 20606 20607 20608 20609 20610 20611 [20612] 20613 20614 20615 20616 20617 20618 20619 20620 20621 20622 20623 20624 20625 20626 20627 20628 20629 20630 20631 20632 20633 20634 20635 20636 20637 20638 20639 20640 20641 20642 20643 20644 20645 20646 20647 20648 20649 20650 20651 20652 20653 20654 20655 20656 20657 20658 20659 20660 20661 20662 ... 33202 »
  Print  

Jump to: