April 24, 2024, 09:56:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 21017 21018 21019 21020 21021 21022 21023 21024 21025 21026 21027 21028 21029 21030 21031 21032 21033 21034 21035 21036 21037 21038 21039 21040 21041 21042 21043 21044 21045 21046 21047 21048 21049 21050 21051 21052 21053 21054 21055 21056 21057 21058 21059 21060 21061 21062 21063 21064 21065 21066 [21067] 21068 21069 21070 21071 21072 21073 21074 21075 21076 21077 21078 21079 21080 21081 21082 21083 21084 21085 21086 21087 21088 21089 21090 21091 21092 21093 21094 21095 21096 21097 21098 21099 21100 21101 21102 21103 21104 21105 21106 21107 21108 21109 21110 21111 21112 21113 21114 21115 21116 21117 ... 33297 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26367122 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
crypmike

Activity: 910
Merit: 371

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2018, 01:05:09 PM

Nice words

Over the last 16 months, as I've debated this issue around the world, every single time somebody has said to me, "I don't really worry about invasions of privacy because I don't have anything to hide." I always say the same thing to them. I get out a pen, I write down my email address. I say, "Here's my email address. What I want you to do when you get home is email me the passwords to all of your email accounts, not just the nice, respectable work one in your name, but all of them, because I want to be able to just troll through what it is you're doing online, read what I want to read and publish whatever I find interesting. After all, if you're not a bad person, if you're doing nothing wrong, you should have nothing to hide. Not a single person has taken me up on that offer. " — Glenn Greenwald

https://www.ted.com/talks/glenn_greenwald_why_privacy_matters/transcript

i look at it this way.. while i may have nothing to hide from the government right now, who knows what currently legal activity may become illegal in the future? nothing like having decades of data to comb through to jail someone on something they dont like and pass new laws on. or "leaking" legal, but embarrassing data of someone they target and want to discredit.

and im sure all that data is very secure, with no chance of it getting stolen or misused. we all know how good the government is at data security.

I prefer not to publish any compromising information at all
(except some hidden chats in secure messengers like Telegram, but also nothing really compromising)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3506

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 01:30:52 PM

i look at it this way.. while i may have nothing to hide from the government right now, who knows what currently legal activity may become illegal in the future? nothing like having decades of data to comb through to jail someone on something they dont like and pass new laws on. or "leaking" legal, but embarrassing data of someone they target and want to discredit.

and im sure all that data is very secure, with no chance of it getting stolen or misused. we all know how good the government is at data security.

I prefer not to publish any compromising information at all
(except some hidden chats in secure messengers like Telegram, but also nothing really compromising)

doesnt have to be self published to be monitored by the government. i wont go into tinfoil hat territory but there are so many sources of information the government can or will be able tap into it isnt funny. what you knowingly send/receive on a computer or smartphone may be the least of ones worries.
TopTort777
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1435

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 02:53:21 PM

I'm "as strong as this guy."
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10143

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 03:54:17 PM

i have and continue to make/modify plans that take into account worse case scenarios, at least as far as i am able. the potential failure of fiat is included in those plans. but, so is the failure of btc.

personally i am quite confident in btc rising in value. but i wont stake our future on just btc. or just fiat. we need to survive either ones failure. and even then its possible both will fail. thats my biggest worry, both go south. but its possible to survive that too, if you have enough things of value that can be traded for whatever is needed.

btc, fiat, physical holdings. one fails, no biggie, but annoying. two fail, well thats gonna hurt but its still possible to survive ok, although it will almost certainly suck a lot. but it still beats being homeless, starving and depending on others. all three fail? well, it was fun while it lasted. hopefully one has knowledge or skills that are in demand.

its not that simple of course, but thats my general view.

Of course, it is good to have various tentative plans for a wide variety of scenarios, but it is also not prudent to plan 50/50 or even betting 5% on an event that only has a .0238495% chance of happening.  Each of us should be attempting to be honest with ourselves and honestly attempting to allocate reasonably both upside and downside and tweaking from time to time (as you seem to already be in the practice of doing).

agreed. someone in a country with high inflation or a corrupt/insane dictator will allocate to those categories differently than someone in a more or less stable country. or some place prone to natural disasters that could wipe out vast parts of the land or infrastructure. each one must assign a risk factor and try to allocate/adjust funds accordingly.

Sure there is a difference between personal utility of someone in a location with fewer banking resources and also inflationary issues with their own currency, and that provides a specific and personal use case for them with bitcoin, but still does not mean that they personally are going to be able to learn about it or to use it in the near term... but like you said gives them an incentive to learn about it and to buy it right away.

now, if i were single, i would have much more of my net worth in btc. but im married now and much more risk averse.

Maybe there is a way of considering married like running a business?  You have to keep more of a reserve in your fiat order to be able to support some of the increased monthly and regular expenses.   I agree with you that relationship status might cause you to become a bit more risk averse, but you can still apply a lot of the same investment principles, and the degree to which you are risk averse is only one of the factors.  The other factors consist of your cash flow, views on bitcoin, timeline, so each of those would be accounted for and tailorized to how much you are ready, willing and able to invest.   

single, i did take much higher risks as they only affected me, no problem.. im an idiot, know it, and paid the stupid tax when needed. married, i wont risk our comfortable retirement simply for more possible profit. thats not to say i wont take risks for more profit at all, but much smaller ones than previously. securing our future is the priority. and to me that means more diversification. and i dont mean alts (junk), i mean non crypto. even though that has far less potential dividends, plus has its share of downsides too.

As my signature says, I feel very little compunction to diversify into alts, and really I consider bitcoin to be serving the niche that I felt was lacking in my dollar based investment portfolio... that currently largely consists of a variety of index stocks, bonds connected to a 401k.

guess i just sleep more comfortably knowing ive done what i can to cover as many bases (to a reasonable extent) as i can.

Ultimately it is good to sleep well.   I am way less nervous now, than I was when I was still accumulating and establishing my bitcoin position... which also allows for trading BIGGER swings - and I suspect if the price continues to go up in the long term, as expected, then my trading swings should become even BIGGER with bitcoin becoming even more passive than its current status.

By the way, some people feel better sleeping in a higher percentage of fiat or fiat based assets, and there is nothing wrong with that, and I suppose once you get above a certain quantity in total, then at least you can feel comfortable that all you basic needs are taken care of that can thereafter cause some higher risk taking with a certain acceptable percentage of your total holdings.  I have always been quite conservative myself, even when I first started investing and I hardly had any value at all, I wanted to make sure that overall there was a considerable likelihood that my investments would make money and that I was living within my means and that I had a sufficient cashflow and cushion to cover my expenses for several months into the future.  I got better and better at developing tools to monitor my ongoing progress and bitcoin has been one of the most liberating of investments in terms of flexibility in terms of investment and the 24/7 aspects too... and surely earning power has totally outperformed (and blown away any of my other previous and current investments)

also, for the record, i think bitcoin is the future of money and storage of value. writing that just in case someone thinks i dont.

Some of the implications of your suggestions seem to come off as if you were somewhat overly bearish about bitcoin, and surely it helps to have positive views about whatever you invest into.  I personally don't invest much of anything into shit coins because I have very little long term optimism about them.  Regarding your coming off as seeming bearish, when you are suggesting to diversify and to take out profits during consolidation that just seems a bit ridiculous because those things should have already been done, and we seem to be in HODL and ACCUMULATL time, NOT sell time.  To each their own, if they fucked up and did not sell earlier or did not anticipate so much consolidation or so much of a downtrend in bitcoin, but we should already know that these kinds of things are possible, but still does not mean that we should be selling on the way down unless we are admitting to ourselves that we screwed up.

bitcoin was and is the best investment i ever did. im just somewhat more pessimistic about the world in general as i age.

O.k.

just wait till youre old and decrepit like i am, your viewpoint may change too heh.

You seem to be assuming a lot here, and my above comments in this post and previous posts seem to have already addressed this point. 
El duderino_
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 11985

BTC + Crossfit, living life.

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 04:26:56 PM

https://twitter.com/BigRekts

I'm putting on my seatbelt, just incase.

Maybe later today but @the moment not yet seatbelt action  Roll Eyes
~Money~

Activity: 1132
Merit: 536

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 04:36:07 PM

Maybe later today but @the moment not yet seatbelt action  Roll Eyes

Yeah. Took my seatbelt off. Gonna get hammered today, read some science fiction, then take a nap.

Bored out of my fucking mind.

i took off dozen days ago while there was speculations about crypto market, i am actually really happy to leave it before these crashes and market manipulations

this crashes are kindda good for market, the whales can get more BTC in cheaper prices and make the manipulations easier than before,

people are talking about panic sell, total sell off, market bleed, but they dont think when they are selling, who is it buying  Cheesy Cheesy

think clearly, be sharp, dont get scammed  Wink
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4863

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 04:37:16 PM

I've just read this thread from friday and don't see anything about this.

Can someone ELI5 this shit for me. I read a bunch of the links but I don't follow this drama. I'm not sure how those keys work so can he really get those keys and try a flip?

UT 700K to 1 Million Bitcoin (BTC and any Bitcoin-Fork) “worthy any price on January 1, 2020” could be the ultimate dump from BTC to BCH or BCC or which ever “Bitcoin is Cash” Craig and them/team decide to do? Quick math at 700,000 BTC at $7,000 is $4.9 Billion (and if was 1,000,000 BTC at ATH of $20K~) would be $20 Billion range – by January 1, 2020 (next halving will be between April-June 2020) the price of one BTC could be much higher given the trajectory and advancements being made despite all the internal politics.

https://bitcoinexchangeguide.com/satoshi-nakamoto-craig-wright-dave-kleiman-phil-wilson-bitcoin-creators-revealed/

BTW if it was me I would burn those on his shitchain first and then dump on all the forks and btc while supporting his shitcoin.
rebal15

Activity: 527
Merit: 6

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 05:18:00 PM

Eth just had a crash, let's see if these makes it's way over to the btc/usd charts.

Dumping ETH to dump BTC,
doc12
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1042

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 05:23:35 PM

Can someone ELI5 this shit for me. I read a bunch of the links but I don't follow this drama. I'm not sure how those keys work so can he really get those keys and try a flip?

UT 700K to 1 Million Bitcoin (BTC and any Bitcoin-Fork) “worthy any price on January 1, 2020” could be the ultimate dump from BTC to BCH or BCC or which ever “Bitcoin is Cash” Craig and them/team decide to do? Quick math at 700,000 BTC at $7,000 is $4.9 Billion (and if was 1,000,000 BTC at ATH of $20K~) would be $20 Billion range – by January 1, 2020 (next halving will be between April-June 2020) the price of one BTC could be much higher given the trajectory and advancements being made despite all the internal politics.

https://bitcoinexchangeguide.com/satoshi-nakamoto-craig-wright-dave-kleiman-phil-wilson-bitcoin-creators-revealed/

BTW if it was me I would burn those on his shitchain first and then dump on all the forks and btc while supporting his shitcoin.

There is no victory for this shitchain, if they try to destroy Bitcoin they will destroy themselves.
hv_
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1055

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2018, 05:31:07 PM

There is no victory for this shitchain, if they try to destroy Bitcoin they will destroy themselves.

Netscape is gone...

If Bitcoin is anti fragile than any implementation will survive that protocol fight.

Otherwise its gone anyway.
gembitz

Activity: 1834
Merit: 639

*Brute force will solve any Bitcoin problem*

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 05:33:39 PM

phil is satoshi  Kiss  o rly >_> three stooges?
doc12
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1042

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 05:40:25 PM

Netscape is gone...

If Bitcoin is anti fragile than any implementation will survive that protocol fight.

Otherwise its gone anyway.

Sorry but there is no protocol fight, bashers forked off and the market decided.  And if one person can decide the fate of bitcoin, than the value is 0, even if its satoshi himself.

Basicly I think the satoshi coins are burned, if even one of these coins is moved the market will dump so hard, that the current ETH chart will look bullish in comperision.
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 05:50:53 PM

Im starting to realize that crypto is just a giant ponzi scheme.  Wish I never invested in this bullshit, Lost so much money and now I have constant suicidal thoughts.  I should of listened to warren buffets advice.

Losing in crypto: you must have bought high and contemplate selling low.

Even if it is a giant Ponzi, better to sit tight and hope for another Ponzi bubble.
Raja_MBZ
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1505

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 06:06:00 PM

Im starting to realize that crypto is just a giant ponzi scheme.  Wish I never invested in this bullshit, Lost so much money and now I have constant suicidal thoughts.  I should of listened to warren buffets advice.

Pure depression phase...
Paashaas
Legendary

Activity: 3422
Merit: 4342

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 06:08:01 PM

Live stream from the CoinsBank Blockchain Cruise shitshow with scamming scumbag Roger Ver and Jimmy Song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3QEjOz3VZI&feature=youtu.be&t=36m11s

Bcash is fiat money:
https://medium.com/@jimmysong/bitcoin-cash-is-a-fiat-money-39626c002f77
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3506

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 06:14:49 PM
Last edit: September 10, 2018, 08:35:39 PM by vapourminer

Yeah. Took my seatbelt off. Gonna get hammered today, read some science fiction, then take a nap.

seatbelts?? bitcoin is a no seatbelt, hang your head out the side with your tongue hanging the wind kind of thing.

of course it helps when the train is moving somewhere.
crypmike

Activity: 910
Merit: 371

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2018, 06:42:00 PM

I'm already waiting for a new CNBC report with crypto funerals

Icygreen
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1135

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 07:10:24 PM

Troll accounts posting depression and suicidal notions?  If there's any sincerity to this, I hope you'll find the support you need and potentially learn something about over-investing.
I see you called BS on the last guy who suggested only investing what you can afford to lose.  Roll Eyes
Raja_MBZ
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1505

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 07:12:06 PM
Merited by cAPSLOCK (5), JayJuanGee (1), LoyceV (1)

(6th) February:

Bitcoin: $106 Billion
Altcoins: $214 Billion

Today:

Bitcoin: $108 Billion (+1.75%)
Altcoins: $87 Billion (-60%)
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174

Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 07:45:40 PM
Last edit: September 10, 2018, 07:59:46 PM by HairyMaclairy

In the pits of Bear Doom, a whole new generation of maximalists is being forged.
Pages: « 1 ... 21017 21018 21019 21020 21021 21022 21023 21024 21025 21026 21027 21028 21029 21030 21031 21032 21033 21034 21035 21036 21037 21038 21039 21040 21041 21042 21043 21044 21045 21046 21047 21048 21049 21050 21051 21052 21053 21054 21055 21056 21057 21058 21059 21060 21061 21062 21063 21064 21065 21066 [21067] 21068 21069 21070 21071 21072 21073 21074 21075 21076 21077 21078 21079 21080 21081 21082 21083 21084 21085 21086 21087 21088 21089 21090 21091 21092 21093 21094 21095 21096 21097 21098 21099 21100 21101 21102 21103 21104 21105 21106 21107 21108 21109 21110 21111 21112 21113 21114 21115 21116 21117 ... 33297 »
  Print  

Jump to: