March 29, 2024, 10:33:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
$65,000 - 59 (86.8%)
$48,000 - 9 (13.2%)
Total Voters: 68

Pages: « 1 ... 22301 22302 22303 22304 22305 22306 22307 22308 22309 22310 22311 22312 22313 22314 22315 22316 22317 22318 22319 22320 22321 22322 22323 22324 22325 22326 22327 22328 22329 22330 22331 22332 22333 22334 22335 22336 22337 22338 22339 22340 22341 22342 22343 22344 22345 22346 22347 22348 22349 22350 [22351] 22352 22353 22354 22355 22356 22357 22358 22359 22360 22361 22362 22363 22364 22365 22366 22367 22368 22369 22370 22371 22372 22373 22374 22375 22376 22377 22378 22379 22380 22381 22382 22383 22384 22385 22386 22387 22388 22389 22390 22391 22392 22393 22394 22395 22396 22397 22398 22399 22400 22401 ... 33206 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26336954 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (170 posts by 1 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Last of the V8s
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 4392

Be a bank

View Profile
January 22, 2019, 05:10:06 PM

tyvm. The fractals are there, plain as day.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
starmman
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1029

View Profile
January 22, 2019, 05:17:15 PM

Less than a decade ago, 10,000 bitcoin bought you a pizza. Today, 10 will buy you a car. Five years from now, one may buy you a house.

Grin  Grin

#HMcreatedBULLsentiment

Lets hope so - looking forward to the next bullish period
kenzawak

Activity: 658
Merit: 851

View Profile
January 22, 2019, 05:24:36 PM

Real wealth is about being able to spend as much time as possible with the ones you love... not the ones you don't.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 10064

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
January 22, 2019, 05:33:58 PM

Ouch! Some bear got burned!

That was quite the fake out, yet sometimes it is a kind of test of support and wipes off some buy orders to resume the downward attack at a later time.  I am not resting assured yet regarding who's getting reckt moar.  Our flat, and inability to break out of a channel, remains.
julian071

Activity: 1132
Merit: 818

View Profile
January 22, 2019, 05:43:12 PM

* BobLawblaw mock-angrily shakes fist at Theymos

When that number hits >5 GRIN mined and finally pays out, I'm quitting this shit so hard... Hopefully by Friday.

EDIT: Switched to the latest version of bminer for Windows. Much better than that other Gold Miner shit I was using. https://www.bminer.me/releases/

Thanks for the tip, finally got bminer working on grinmint with this new version. After running it for 5 minutes it seems a whole lot faster, but already got one rejected share.

Mining this shit is really completely useless, however the temperatures have gone sub 0 and it really doesn't matter much if I warm my house with my floor heating, which runs on geothermal energy plus electricity to warm up the water sufficiently, or (partly) with my main rig.

Mined 1.75 grin in a couple of days hahahaha.
d_eddie
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 2843

View Profile
January 22, 2019, 05:45:31 PM

BIS chief Agustín Carstens: Bitcoin must depart from PoW.

I like how bankers starting to sweat they know Bitcoin will eat their lunch  Smiley

https://cointelegraph.com/news/major-central-bank-institution-bis-bitcoin-must-depart-from-proof-of-work

As with the other BIS news item of the day, it is 100% clear they are lying.
(snip)
Now they try to trick Bitcoin into destroying itself by giving up decentralization by replacing POW (after a long bullshit smear campaign calling Bitcoin mining wasteful and bad for the environent).

It seems like they are becoming desperate. Their campaign will likely (unfortunately) work to overturn Brexit (scaring and shaming the British public into voting remain in a second referendum) but will they succeed with Bitcoin?
(snip)
Yes, it sounds like they're getting desperate.

I don't know about Brexit. I think the public was tricked into voting without full information. See the 'All them EU rules innit' twitter thread. It might actually be better for Britain not to leave, but it's all speculation: we'll never have actual what-if data. So who knows.

As for bitcoin, I don't think they can overturn PoW whatever they say. The supporters of "the fees won't be enough to support the miners" argument always forget to consider what the price might have become in the meantime!  Wink
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2019, 05:47:19 PM
Merited by d_eddie (1)

Ouch! Some bear got burned!

That whiplash has Arthur Hayes signature.

I frequently wonder about why so much hate on Arthur Hayes?

I understand that he is a central figure and spokesman for Bitmex, yet it seems that Bitmex has uniquely contributed to the liquidity of the cryptospace - bitcoin and various alts by providing a platform to short a lot of alts that would not otherwise be able to short.  I am fairly sure that his platform provides a vehicle for manipulation, and yeah, sometimes there are claims of internal exchange shenanigans.  Bitmex profits from exchange volume (and probably has profited immensely just from the kind of service that they have provided to the space), and I don't see why they would want to additionally manipulate with insider shenanigans to ruin their reputation, because they are already making a killing just from regular business.  Also, they have provided some really decent research articles in the past couple of years.
Patel
Legendary

Activity: 1324
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2019, 05:51:19 PM

^ Grin
Shoulda left when I had the chance.
Peru looks like a good option - splendid hills there

I went to Peru when I was ignoring Bitcoin in 2014. Drank this shamanic tea there and nearly died.

Yep..thats it.   Wink  I guess I have an eye for topography..

+1 WOsMerit

*edit*  And yes, I realize Ecuador and Peru are not the same..I was just struck by the similarity.

Peru has beautiful mountains, but great peaks too
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2019, 05:52:54 PM

niceee ^ tell us more?

Long story... got interested in Black Coin way back and mined it for a while.  Did not sell on the big pump..  Of course I have no BC now  Roll Eyes.
Born in Ecuador,  studied and worked in the USA.  Been back to EC since 2002.
Proud owner of BTC along with shit coins.   Did not sell on the big pump!  
Hodler at heart or fool?  Time will tell.

Regarding investing in bitcoin, what do you do?

Do you dollar cost average and try to buy more on dips?

Do you have a certain percentage of your income that you allocate to bitcoin? 

Do you plan out in advance in order to determine how much BTC you can buy, or do you get into trouble because you bought too much and then th price does not go up, as hoped?
Olegya199

Activity: 480
Merit: 129

HODL

View Profile
January 22, 2019, 05:53:22 PM

JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2019, 05:58:21 PM

BIS chief Agustín Carstens: Bitcoin must depart from PoW.

I like how bankers starting to sweat they know Bitcoin will eat their lunch  Smiley

https://cointelegraph.com/news/major-central-bank-institution-bis-bitcoin-must-depart-from-proof-of-work

I experience a churning of my stomach when I see non-sense like that.  It is a sign of desperation, like you are suggesting, and it there is a kind of "holy cow" regarding the level of misinformation that is presented by the underlying assertion.

Some folks don't realize that the "holy shit" of bitcoin is wrapped up in its proof of work, so proof of work is a feature, not a bug.  Proof of work causes bitcoin incentive, and like you suggested, paashaas, will continue to generate incentives that cause the downfall of the whole financial system, causing value to flow into bitcoin.  The audacity of the article seems to show that there are many traditional financial incumbents who will be willing to battle quite strenuously to spread their nonsense about bitcoin supposedly being flawed, when in fact they are pointing out central features.. namely POW in this case.

By the way, bitcoin is stubborn and very difficult to change, too, and that remains as a feature rather than a bug to defend against misinformation campaigns that try to get bitcoin to become paypal-like, so stop whining about how stubborn and "inefficient" bitcoin is you fucking bank shill bitcoin naysayers.   Tongue Tongue    Cheesy Cheesy

terse

your point?

I like. Smiley

In my earlier response, I was about to call you a name, but I held back.... hahahahahhaaha   Tongue
Arriemoller
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1767

Cлaвa Укpaїнi!

View Profile
January 22, 2019, 06:00:40 PM

niceee ^ tell us more?

Long story... got interested in Black Coin way back and mined it for a while.  Did not sell on the big pump..  Of course I have no BC now  Roll Eyes.

tyvm. so great you went back. not a fool, wait for the really big pump after next.
is there a bitcoin scene there? how good is the internet there?

Small BTC community but I do not participate; I live in the mountains away form civilization.
Internet is very good in the main cities in Ecuador.
I have very good internet in my hidden crater via antennas that I installed.
You can visit me here: http://pululahua-ecolodge.com/
Pay with BTC or shitcoins if you like.

Looks awesome, I' will visit after the next pump. Do you accept BTC?
But I believe you spelled license wrong on your homepage  "2018 OPERATIONS LICENNCE"
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3122
Merit: 4271

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
January 22, 2019, 06:04:53 PM

I loaded up the map at rompert last night - have not done so in at least a couple months - and was utterly blown away with the growth. It's easily increased at least 4x in node and channel size since I started.

My node that was situated near "the core" of the map, now appears to be forming a part of a larger outer spoke-system of a wheel.

Many nodes in the middle of the map aren't particularly "huge hubs" any more.

Very interesting watching the visualization of the network evolve as it grows.

Nothing centralized about it.

At all.

https://rompert.com/recksplorer/

holy browser choke batman
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
January 22, 2019, 06:08:49 PM

Anyone who has time to complain about wealth inequality doesn't really deserve moving upwards in the food chain, as they could've invested the same time on figuring out sensible goals for their life as well as some steps towards them.

QFT.

+1

What he said.

What if they used the time, then figured out the solutions and then realized every one of those solutions would get them killed so decided to just sit back and complain until someone else finds a better solution that doesn't get them killed?

I can't even figure out what you are getting at. Working on life will get you killed? I guess in some sense. In the long run, we're all dead.

Life is hard. Buck up, bucko - or get lapped by those willing to put in the work.

I dated a girl for a number of years.

Her father was wealthy and powerful.  He owned 25+ houses that he rented out.  He was also a drunk and highly abusive.

The mother eventually divorced him after a series of domestic violence incidents.  The father decided to make the mother's life a living hell.   He hired lawyers to sue the mother for everything under the sun, stalked the mother and tried to destroy her friendship networks.  This went on for five years.  

The mother grew deeply depressed and semi suicidal.  My girlfriend and her sister at the age of 8 had to get the mother out of bed in the morning, get her dressed so the mother could drive them to school.  Some days they couldn't get their mother out of bed so they missed school.  

My girlfriend was incredibly smart and motivated but she missed a lot of school during that five year period.  It affected her grades and she had to work hard to try to catch up.  She also had the mental load of trying to parent her own mother through the divorce and aftermath.  There is no doubt in my mind if she had had a normal, stable childhood, she would have been a surgeon or rocket scientist.  Instead she will likely never achieve her full potential.  

Let's not kid ourselves that everyone has equality of opportunity.  Because they don't.
Why not a mother? Perhaps even a better mother than her mother. Who picked a better man than she did.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
January 22, 2019, 06:10:58 PM
Merited by infofront (1)

Anyone who has time to complain about wealth inequality doesn't really deserve moving upwards in the food chain, as they could've invested the same time on figuring out sensible goals for their life as well as some steps towards them.

QFT.

+1

What he said.

What if they used the time, then figured out the solutions and then realized every one of those solutions would get them killed so decided to just sit back and complain until someone else finds a better solution that doesn't get them killed?

I can't even figure out what you are getting at. Working on life will get you killed? I guess in some sense. In the long run, we're all dead.

Life is hard. Buck up, bucko - or get lapped by those willing to put in the work.

Her father was wealthy and powerful.  He owned 25+ houses that he rented out.  He was also a drunk and highly abusive.

The mother eventually divorced him after a series of domestic violence incidents.  The father decided to make the mother's life a living hell.   He hired lawyers to sue the mother for everything under the sun, stalked the mother and tried to destroy her friendship networks.  This went on for five years.  

The mother grew deeply depressed and semi suicidal.  My girlfriend and her sister at the age of 8 had to get the mother out of bed in the morning, get her dressed so the mother could drive them to school.  Some days they couldn't get their mother out of bed so they missed school.  

My girlfriend was incredibly smart and motivated but she missed a lot of school during that five year period.  It affected her grades and she had to work hard to try to catch up.  She also had the mental load of trying to parent her own mother through the divorce and aftermath.  There is no doubt in my mind if she had had a normal, stable childhood, she would have been a surgeon or rocket scientist.  Instead she will likely never achieve her full potential.  

Let's not kid ourselves that everyone has equality of opportunity.  Because they don't.

Relevance of anecdote?

Sounds to me as if you are claiming that, seeing as we all have access to different opportunities, it isn't even worth trying to improve your circumstance.

I call bullshit on that. Everyone has the same opportunity to endeavor to improve their situation.
jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2019, 06:15:03 PM
Merited by Ibian (1)

Anyone saying that success is linked to hardwork deserves to be let alone in any third world country to see how their hardwork will be rewarded. Or in any poor family in any Western country.

Absolute twaddle.

The circumstances of one's birth are relevant, indeed. However, anyone who works hard will experience more success than one who does not. Period.
kenzawak

Activity: 658
Merit: 851

View Profile
January 22, 2019, 06:18:20 PM

niceee ^ tell us more?

Regarding investing in bitcoin, what do you do?

Do you dollar cost average and try to buy more on dips?

Do you have a certain percentage of your income that you allocate to bitcoin? 

Do you plan out in advance in order to determine how much BTC you can buy, or do you get into trouble because you bought too much and then th price does not go up, as hoped?

I got another question. How far are you from town ?
Is it hard to get supplies to where you are ?
jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2019, 06:19:47 PM

you need to be a shark or step on someone else to succeed.

Literally nobody has been saying this in this thread. How is it that you confuse 'work hard' with 'be a shark or step on someone'?
julian071

Activity: 1132
Merit: 818

View Profile
January 22, 2019, 06:22:38 PM
Merited by 600watt (2)

QFT.

+1

What he said.

Relevance of anecdote?

Sounds to me as if you are claiming that, seeing as we all have access to different opportunities, it isn't even worth trying to improve your circumstance.

I call bullshit on that. Everyone has the same opportunity to endeavor to improve their situation.
You're an intelligent guy but now you are deliberately misunderstanding. It's obvious the point was quite opposite of 'not worth trying' as the girl in this story "worked hard to catch up".

What really is BS is stating that everyone has the same opportunity to endeavour to improve their situation. In order to do that you'll need, well, opportunity. If you're totally tied up in whatever circumstances you might not have that. This idea that anyone can just 'break free' at any time from any circumstances is just plain naive frankly.
bitebits
Legendary

Activity: 2196
Merit: 3134

Flippin' burgers since 1163.

View Profile
January 22, 2019, 06:24:04 PM

President and CEO of Nasdaq :
"Crypto Currencies Could Still Be a Global Currency of the Future"

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/new-chapters-innovation-disruption-written-2019-adena-friedman/

Thanks for sharing, and written by not just a somebody..
Pages: « 1 ... 22301 22302 22303 22304 22305 22306 22307 22308 22309 22310 22311 22312 22313 22314 22315 22316 22317 22318 22319 22320 22321 22322 22323 22324 22325 22326 22327 22328 22329 22330 22331 22332 22333 22334 22335 22336 22337 22338 22339 22340 22341 22342 22343 22344 22345 22346 22347 22348 22349 22350 [22351] 22352 22353 22354 22355 22356 22357 22358 22359 22360 22361 22362 22363 22364 22365 22366 22367 22368 22369 22370 22371 22372 22373 22374 22375 22376 22377 22378 22379 22380 22381 22382 22383 22384 22385 22386 22387 22388 22389 22390 22391 22392 22393 22394 22395 22396 22397 22398 22399 22400 22401 ... 33206 »
  Print  

Jump to: