April 25, 2024, 02:14:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 23167 23168 23169 23170 23171 23172 23173 23174 23175 23176 23177 23178 23179 23180 23181 23182 23183 23184 23185 23186 23187 23188 23189 23190 23191 23192 23193 23194 23195 23196 23197 23198 23199 23200 23201 23202 23203 23204 23205 23206 23207 23208 23209 23210 23211 23212 23213 23214 23215 23216 [23217] 23218 23219 23220 23221 23222 23223 23224 23225 23226 23227 23228 23229 23230 23231 23232 23233 23234 23235 23236 23237 23238 23239 23240 23241 23242 23243 23244 23245 23246 23247 23248 23249 23250 23251 23252 23253 23254 23255 23256 23257 23258 23259 23260 23261 23262 23263 23264 23265 23266 23267 ... 33299 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26367492 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
BTCMILLIONAIRE

Activity: 1358
Merit: 834

View Profile
April 10, 2019, 01:44:36 PM

Thanks a lot for the response. Suppose one was eyeing some 100sqm of space, would ~$2.5m be sufficient plus additional expenses for vanity furniture and inventory?

If you count the floors down inside the spar as living space as well as the deck on top then you get close to 100 sqm with just our $150k seastead. But we certainly do not plan on keeping them that small. We just want to keep the costs down. But we have big plans for business and mansion setups with underwater bedrooms that look out into the water.  With the restaurant we are doing a 10m diameter underwater room. That one room is close to 80 sqm.

How hard would it be for someone to mess with you if you pull up the ladder? I had not considered that even entering could be prohibitive for someone already in your waters.
Unless they brought their own means of getting onto the seastead it will take them a long time to get up and likely risk destroying their boat in the process. Right now we have to moor our boat, lower the dinghy, take the dinghy to the ladder and climb up. We could literally watch any "pirates" for about 10 minutes as they prepare for their grand caper. For those that don't care to fight, just lock yourself inside the spar and wait for them to leave.

Are you running any aquaponics for veggies, herbs and fish?
My gf keeps trying to grow sea grapes (seaweed) but the fish keep eating it. Or it dies before we get it into the water. Haven't gotten around to growing anything yet since we have plenty of food from the grocery store.

I'm pretty lazy when it comes to leaving my quarters, so the general idea would be having enough "property" around to keep me entertained within my living space hence the perhaps odd questions.

Also, as many others already noted, the SeaBnB idea is fantastic, especially with the underwater restaurant. I'll certainly come visit one day.

I think the key to the seastead that people miss is the awesome opportunity for SCUBA divers. I am working on growing coral on the outside of my spar which will also protect the steel from rusting. There are an insane amount of fish already swimming around down there. With coral there will be more. There is a lot of SCUBA tourism in the area. We will likely be a new destination for them.

The restaurant should be pretty big. It will bring people out to see the seastead for themselves.

That's pretty much what I wanted to hear. Will seriously consider this for my settlement once I take care of some other things first.

Can't wait to visit the restaurant for starters. Do you have any timeline for it?

And probably my last question about seasteading in general. How likely is it that your boat would get rekt and what do you do in such a situation?
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
El duderino_
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 11988

BTC + Crossfit, living life.

View Profile
April 10, 2019, 01:50:26 PM

Also, today marks two weeks of being officially dry. I'm genuinely beginning to enjoy the clarity. feelsgoodman.

congrats man!

i dont drink (maybe one or two on special occasions, so maybe 5 drinks a year). simply because i dont like the buzz drinking gives or id be an alky for sure.

but been addicted to other stuff. one substance to the point of almost losing everything. nasty time but a good life lesson on humility and what lack of willpower can do if you let it.

It seems different people have different tolerance levels to alcohol, and some do just fine to drink regularly all their life.

For me, something changed from my younger years to my older years.

When I was young, I could drink regularly and be a "happy drunk", a buzz would lift my mood and spirit. Would routinely go to "happy hour" after work with friends and colleagues. It was all in good fun.

Then something changed mid-life; a few bad things happened to me, and then I spent a year drowning my sorrows in alcohol. But I noticed that drinking actually had the opposite effect on me than it did when I was younger. It just made me feel more depressed and down. I lost motivation to do things I always loved doing, and I also started to worry about my health and developing alcoholism.

So after that really bad year, I stopped drinking cold turkey for seven months straight. My depression went away completely, mood improved, health improved, and mental clarity got much better. Lost weight. Now I only drink on the rare occasion about once a month, maybe one beer or glass of wine and I'm done with it. It's not a forced thing either, I just don't think about it that much any more.

Yeah its always good when someone feels for himself when to take action, when it have to come from people near to you or something then your already waaaay of.... for myself i'm still "when drunk" a happy or enjoyable drunk guy, not the agressive type or not the complaining type etc
I think i manage alcohol real well in my life and with reading here I see some guys had some tough experiences with alcohol but manage to take care of their businesses so only to cheer those actions....

That said I will have to raise a glass of alcohol this evening, as i'm going to my favorite Japanese resto with a group of poker players to discuss our next time period, as game, as where and when, with who  etc
Looking forward for this evening and hope the next session will start very early so i can use my poker HAT again a few times Smiley
siggy_77

Activity: 50
Merit: 57

View Profile
April 10, 2019, 01:51:53 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1), HairyMaclairy (1)

I have zero faith in cryopreservation.

I have zero faith in "uploading consciousness".

So, if you upload your consciousness...  is it really 'you' at that point? Or is it just an exact copy of you, and you are actually dead ?   I've actually been pondering this recently, and I can't get past the continuity of consciousness during the upload process, to believe the end result would still be me.

Deep thoughts...

El duderino_
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2019, 01:52:42 PM

I have zero faith in faith these days.

I just have faith in this WO Roll Eyes

As in my drinking behavior.

Not the least as in BTC.
El duderino_
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2019, 01:54:04 PM

Off topic, but...

Word around the campfire has it that Rosewater appears to be suffering from protracted post acute benzodiazepine withdrawal. It's all quite heady and complicated. Lots of ins. Lots of outs. Akathisia, some hallucinations. GABA receptor down-regulation. This on top of tardive dysphoria and that wheat thing, to the best of my knowledge. At any rate, doctors orders. The line between iatrogenic physical dependence and full blown pill sick smack-houndery is a bit unclear. Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.

Now where's my hat?

Live your life, do your work, then take your hat.

Very nice as original HAT of.... gonna collect it when on my computer Smiley
BTCMILLIONAIRE

View Profile
April 10, 2019, 01:56:55 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

I'm holding out for uploading my consciousness within the next 40 years - should I last that long.

if that could be done, and aside from some interesting philosophical questions (is it "you" or just a very good copy), that might be interesting.. for a few thousand years i suppose.

as long as you (or the copy, whatever) can elect and is able to end its existence at some point. who wants an eternity of boredom?

also, we would need a very good weed simulator that can be uploaded as well.
There is no limit to novelty. So if you ever get bored you can always just hibernate or erase memory before coming back for more. Existence could then be like the ups and downs of the corn. I doubt that death is anything other than that, just in a more saddle way.

And the weed simulator at such a stage of development would make weed seem like catnip.

The "you" question can also be asked right now in nearly the same manner. Is the "you" from one second ago the same as the you experiencing reality in the present? From every moment to the next your body changes completely. As such, it is not inherently different from the rest of your environment. It might appear as if your environment is changing, especially if you move. But so does your body. So what exactly is "you"?

The prospect of uploading consciousness just makes this conundrum so apparent that one can no longer miss it.

Although I personally wouldn't pull the plug on "uploading consciousness" until there is a way for me to simultaneously and willingly experience both the real and virtual me as well as turning one or the other off at will.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4863

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
April 10, 2019, 01:58:41 PM

According to statement by gmaxwell, Core 'nodes' do not verify back to the genesis block, relying instead upon checkpoints. I deigned to just accept his assertion on this point - it may be incorrect.

They stopped adding new checkpoints 5 years ago, but yes, the old checkpoints are still there.

You can ignore the checkpoints by starting Core with "-nocheckpoints".

I didn't know this, thx. IOU +sM Smiley
Lambie Slayer

Activity: 994
Merit: 707

View Profile
April 10, 2019, 01:59:55 PM

Pewdiepie getting into Crypto.

https://www.coindesk.com/top-youtuber-pewdiepie-joins-blockchain-live-streaming-platform

Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2019, 02:00:54 PM

Saw a crazy client lady today I've not seen in some time.

She has been clipping articles for me...lol

You have an admirer. Smiley

Jojo:  surely that’s well meant and endearing.

Oh for sure.  She is a sweet old gal, increasingly nutty as the dementia sets in.

I'm stuck charging her an obsolete rate, can't bring myself to raise it on her, can't quit and have her find someone that will take advantage or rob her...

The Smithsonian article was actually pretty good.

Good Karma Br0, I do alot of free stuff for the old gals in the area. Except those that took advantage of the privilege.
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2019, 02:03:46 PM

Jojo:  surely that’s well meant and endearing.

Oh for sure.  She is a sweet old gal, increasingly nutty as the dementia sets in.

I'm stuck charging her an obsolete rate, can't bring myself to raise it on her, can't quit and have her find someone that will take advantage or rob her...

The Smithsonian article was actually pretty good.

mm..this is a problem  pretty sure there is some unwritten rule stating that there is only one nut per relationship  oh well..hope springs eternal

Once you realize all woman are nuts your life will be much easier. Cheesy

Great work as usual! Out of sM but IOU one. Smiley
BTCMILLIONAIRE

View Profile
April 10, 2019, 02:04:09 PM

I used to dislike PDP back in the day when he was just yelling around playing random games. But he seems to actually be a chill dude and fellow whisky lover. Nice of him to offer $5m to content creators, didn't see that coming.

So, if you upload your consciousness...  is it really 'you' at that point? Or is it just an exact copy of you, and you are actually dead ?   I've actually been pondering this recently, and I can't get past the continuity of consciousness during the upload process, to believe the end result would still be me.

Deep thoughts...

Someone care to throw this guy a merit for me please? Don't see many newbies participating in non-moonlambo discussions around BTCT.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
April 10, 2019, 02:05:22 PM

Deep thoughts...

Go play SOMA (or watch a playthrough). Very interesting story which makes you feel this dilemma first hand.

I agree with you that without continuity it isn't you.
BTCMILLIONAIRE

View Profile
April 10, 2019, 02:06:29 PM

Deep thoughts...

Go play SOMA (or watch a playthrough). Very interesting story which makes you feel this dilemma first hand.

What about anesthesia?

Added SOMA to my bucket list.
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2019, 02:11:21 PM

also in the good news department tonight.... 'Stamp got their NYC bitlicense finally.   Cool #bullish

https://www.bitstamp.net/article/bitstamp-obtains-bitlicense/

Another indicator that the insider institutional money has released the suppression effort.

They got their pound of flesh from the derivative manipulation and must have their bags refilled.
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2019, 02:12:37 PM

I already have a driver's license.
What's a bitlicense  Roll Eyes ?

...the galactic black hole was found in repeated violation of the "unlicensed bits" processing ban.
Pictures of multiple said violations are expected tomorrow, April 10.

I have paid my new fee for my Real Id as I guess my old one wasn't real.
Paashaas
Legendary

Activity: 3422
Merit: 4342

View Profile
April 10, 2019, 02:16:24 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

Institutional Bitcoin trading volume grows for 4 consecutive months.

https://bitcoinist.com/institutional-bitcoin-trading-volume-grows-for-4-consecutive-months/
hisslyness

Activity: 722
Merit: 1692

View Profile
April 10, 2019, 02:23:05 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

Internet speeds are irrelevant, as they increase rapidly as data usage increases. The capacity is not even remotely near its maximum (last I checked 100~1000 GBit for consumers were possible but simply not sensible right now), even if you exclude all the satellites that are being launched over the coming years.

Data plans irrelevant as most countries don't have "data plans" for home use and offer unlimited bandwidth instead.

Storage is irrelevant as well. Even 4 TB SSDs only cost a few hundred bucks these days. By the time storage became an issue we'll have 50-100 TB hard drives for a couple hundred dollars.

RAM seems the only sensible bottleneck if your numbers are accurate. $6 per GB currently and I haven't seen RAM size increase as much as other hardware. But that seems to be mostly because of a lack of utility rather than technical implausibility.

I also fail to see how your highway analogy is supposed to hold. Highways are inherently limited by physical space. Hardware inherently works in a different way. If we had arbitrary amounts of space that we could build on economically we'd have no problem with building even a personal lane for every single human in the world. And with hardware we actually do. It takes sometime to develop and scale, but so far there's no end in sight to how much data we can get from any one point on earth to any other.

I have no idea about the implications on mining and centralization though.

As far as a "real game changer" is concerned. That's already Bitcoin. It solves one of humanity's biggest issues. Banks fucking around and screwing the entire population. For a new "real game changer" to appear we would first require a new "real problem".
And Bitcoin hasn't even been around long enough to really get rid of the issues that come with banking, privatized profits, socialized losses, as well as the fiat toilet paper printing press.

It'll probably take a few decades until we can really identify new serious problems and have people give enough of a shit about them for some to try and someone to actually succeed in solving them as well as people actually jumping ship.

yes totally agree with you on your last point....

The highway analogy was not about space to build the highway, but rather it doesn't matter how many lanes are built, it will still eventually get to the same outcome as a 1 lane highway. You will still end up with traffic congestion, nothing has been solved. I was merely trying to associate with the fact bitcoin developers was not concerned with building more lanes, ie increase block size, but focusing on alternate transport methods or alternate transport habits. ie layer 2 scaling.

There also comes to a point where you may never be able to run full node from scratch. Based on a 30sec a 1MB validation time and i have read somewhere that it may be quadratically longer the bigger the block. will try and find the whitepaper on that one, but for arguments sake i used a linear model. You will be validating previous blocks and never catching up.

Just to confirm the 30sec theory, i'd shutdown my Bitcoin Node, was 8 blocks behind, fired it back up and it took about 5mins to catch up 10 blocks, two blocks was found while validating/catching up.

Maybe in developed countries the internet is more reliable, but what about us third world internet countries, like here in Australia! Struggling to even get 100Mbit business internet grade, let alone consumer grade. Typical speeds are more like 10mbit.

BTW 100-1000Gbit Internet available right now? who the fuck is offering that? i want one right now!

Again, your highway analogy only works with restrictive limitations. More highways irl only converge towards congestion because we can't build them indefinitely in an economic manner. If we kept building highways indefinitely, then at some point there would be more lanes than humans and thus no congestion whatsoever, even long before each person gets their own lane.
And again, our bandwidth is not even remotely utilized to its full capacity even when ignoring future changes. Congestion is a non-issue, at least with the issues that you've raised so far. As soon as it became one our bandwidth and data plans would adapt and that's that.

I'm saying 100-1000Gbit are easily possible, probably more by now since I've read about this quite a while ago. There's just no reason to offer those bandwidths when the most a consumer does is stream multiple 4k videos at the same time. See for example this article from 2007: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/12/swedish_woman_has_fastest_internet_connection/

The argument with undeveloped countries (in terms of internet speed) doesn't hold if you argue for decentralization, unless you want the majority of "normal" people to run a node. There are enough people who can easily afford to run nodes and they don't. This won't change even if it's free simply because there's no immediate incentive for anyone to do so. If people acted in the ways necessary for that to work none of us would be using fiat money.

Edit: Not trying to say that there is no problem with big blocks. I don't know enough about the protocol to pass judgement on that front. But the bandwidth and storage issues seem heavily overblown to me and suffering from the same type of linear mindset that keeps people out of Bitcoin and investing in general.

Either, you are shit stirring me or you genuinely cannot see where the analogy leads you...

I leave you with this quote from Einstein,

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result"

(and yes, I know there is. no evidence that Einstein wrote or spoke the statement above)
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
April 10, 2019, 02:25:55 PM

Deep thoughts...

What about anesthesia?

Added SOMA to my bucket list.

Anesthesia is like sleep, I don't consider going to sleep the same as dying. What differs it mainly from a mind upload is that your brain processing is continuous and it's not possible for several "instances" of "you" to exist simultaneously and grow apart.

I mean if I copy your brain and place it in a new host body do you expect to wake up in the other body? What if the original body (with your original brain) is revived as well? There would be 2 separate individuals with no direct brain connection. From your perception you would be the original one.

I think the only way to preserve continuity is through the "ship of theseus" (see: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus) by slowly swapping out parts. So I believe in rejuvenation and transhumanism.

Edit:
And really play or watch SOMA. It's awesome. (For one some people suicide after copying because they believe that will make them wake up as the second mind in a weird sort of cult believe system).
luckygenough56
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1012

View Profile
April 10, 2019, 02:27:10 PM

Posting women rock climbing in underwears is a thing now ? am so out of trend
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4309

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
April 10, 2019, 02:29:31 PM

Jojo:  surely that’s well meant and endearing.

jojo : sugar daddy   

OK, that right there is funny
Pages: « 1 ... 23167 23168 23169 23170 23171 23172 23173 23174 23175 23176 23177 23178 23179 23180 23181 23182 23183 23184 23185 23186 23187 23188 23189 23190 23191 23192 23193 23194 23195 23196 23197 23198 23199 23200 23201 23202 23203 23204 23205 23206 23207 23208 23209 23210 23211 23212 23213 23214 23215 23216 [23217] 23218 23219 23220 23221 23222 23223 23224 23225 23226 23227 23228 23229 23230 23231 23232 23233 23234 23235 23236 23237 23238 23239 23240 23241 23242 23243 23244 23245 23246 23247 23248 23249 23250 23251 23252 23253 23254 23255 23256 23257 23258 23259 23260 23261 23262 23263 23264 23265 23266 23267 ... 33299 »
  Print  

Jump to: