April 19, 2024, 04:35:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 23565 23566 23567 23568 23569 23570 23571 23572 23573 23574 23575 23576 23577 23578 23579 23580 23581 23582 23583 23584 23585 23586 23587 23588 23589 23590 23591 23592 23593 23594 23595 23596 23597 23598 23599 23600 23601 23602 23603 23604 23605 23606 23607 23608 23609 23610 23611 23612 23613 23614 [23615] 23616 23617 23618 23619 23620 23621 23622 23623 23624 23625 23626 23627 23628 23629 23630 23631 23632 23633 23634 23635 23636 23637 23638 23639 23640 23641 23642 23643 23644 23645 23646 23647 23648 23649 23650 23651 23652 23653 23654 23655 23656 23657 23658 23659 23660 23661 23662 23663 23664 23665 ... 33280 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26364326 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Last of the V8s
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 4392

Be a bank

View Profile
May 15, 2019, 12:59:02 PM

https://twitter.com/ErikVoorhees/status/1128415017450262528
anyone got a copy of this video please that isn't riddled with spyware to access
some say it's worth a watch

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BTCMILLIONAIRE

Activity: 1358
Merit: 834

View Profile
May 15, 2019, 01:04:08 PM

While solidly behind bitcoin, I cannot be at the position of "only bitcoin forever".
Here is my purely behavioristic argument:

1. Wall Street (WS) largely "missed" bitcoin as more than 84% is already issued with very small (anecdotally) institutional ownership.

2. WS knows how to do "promotions".

3. Would it be easier for WS to promote a new token/coin/entity that is not almost fully subscribed yet vs the one that is already owned? I think that the answer is "probably, yes"

4. WS don't like chasing, but they do like sweet early deals.

Conclusion: BTC will be pushed first and will dramatically appreciate, but then the momentum might switch to "shitcoins".
Which ones's?
IMHO, the one's that are under-issued: XRP (since Ripple can make sweet deals at 40C now with appreciation later), watch out for Ripple issuing billions of coins from their 66 bil "stash", maybe ZEC as only 6mil out of 21 mil were mined so far. Don't want to mention newcomers, but watch out for large tranches of coins being allocated to WS hedge funds and institutions from some new and upcoming chains.

Personally, I don't think that ethereum would show large appreciation due to much competition in the area (POS) where it wants to compete.

One can, hopefully, design a strategy where potential profits in "shitcoins" would be transferred to bitcoin in due course.
I don't intend to sell any bitcoin (and certainly not for shitcoins), hopefully, until retirement or some unforeseen urgency, but some cash allocation along the lines that were mentioned above could be interesting. We shall see.

So, you are basically saying "buy ripple" because it's centralized bank money?

Not cool bro...

This is why I'm not interested in listing individual coins.

There is no doubt that Bitcoin will remain at the top as the dollar AND gold of the new world. But you'd have to have gone through life blindfolded to not realize that altcoins will not be disappearing.

The more the market grows the more players will compete to create unique solutions outside of Bitcoin.

Bitcoin will be what you want to get to store value and what you will be using to spend your money.

Alts will be focused more on utility of individual applications, products or other problems.
You don't want to keep your proof of participation in e.g. a hedge fund in Bitcoin because those Bitcoins are supposed to be used within the fund to generate profits. So you need a token to denominate your relative share. Just to name a second example. Tokens allow for unique solutions that Bitcoin itself can not.

Whether or not those tokens will be on the Bitcoin blockchain or not is a completely different story.

Although it's clear that they will not exclusively be due to more specialized solutions in other places, e.g. Python wrappers on other chains that allow for much more streamlined data science solutions.

Sure, you could say that they could have implemented that same functionality on Bitcoin. But they chose not to.

If you don't like it go and implement it on Bitcoin yourself.

But stop pretending that everybody trying to create something is a scammer, this thread should know better than that.

Either way, if all of the thousands of projects were outright scams they would quickly self-destruct and disappear within a number of years after every last idiot got burnt, so why even care?

If you're too lazy to do your research or simply don't care that's alright. But you don't have to buy anything to learn about the future today. You can look at Tesla even if you hate electric cars and then proceed to realize that automation is coming and you can start imagining what that entails.

But the arguments against altcoins so far are riddled with ignorance and the same fundamentally flawed assumptions. They assume that everything is a Ripple (centralized shitty clone) or BitConnect (obvious 100% scam) tier scams.

Basically, every argument against altcoins in the past two days can be summed up with:

- Tesla is a scam because we already have cars
- Automation doesn't exist
- If it actually exists then just do it with old cars then everybody who dares do it on different types of cars is a scammer , never mind that they are the people putting in the hours. If it's not on old cars it's a scam that distracts from progress
Bitcoinaire

Activity: 696
Merit: 439

View Profile
May 15, 2019, 01:17:53 PM

Trading just went live on binance.
BTCMILLIONAIRE

View Profile
May 15, 2019, 01:19:14 PM

Tokonormal.

How are competitors against Facebook  doing? Against Apple? Against Amazon? Against Netflix? Against Google?  Do you want to diversify into second tier versions of the FAANGs?

No you do not.  

They each completely dominate their market segment.  

As does Bitcoin.

Diversification is about picking the best of each market segment and buying a little of each.  It is not about chasing penny stocks.
Depends on the timeline. Pretty sure Google killed Yahoo. Netflix/YT killed TV. Amazon killed retailers. Apple killed BlackBerry. Facebook killed MySpace.

And I can blindly promise you that all of those will eventually be killed as well because of arrogance and unwillingness to change.

I have no doubt that Bitcoin will last for at least a hundred years at this point, perhaps much much longer because of our increasing lifespans. And I have no doubt that it will become the global default SoV and MoE and remain as such for a very long time. But as time goes on new problems arise.

But that's a different argument to mine (for alts and diversification) anyways. I'm not a fan of "herp derp look at me I'm faster because nobody uses me" cryptos. I only care about alts that are budding companies with unique utilization of tokens.

I like altcoins I see them as experiments, if something truly amazing is developed on one we can bring it to Bitcoin. I do only hold Bitcoin and Ethereum though. Eth is the non currency side of crypto and Bitcoin the investment gold standard.
That's a fair point. I haven't considered transaction type shitcoins as experiments for future upgrades to Bitcoin itself.
El duderino_
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 11968

BTC + Crossfit, living life.

View Profile
May 15, 2019, 01:32:08 PM

Amazon went public 22 years ago today. A $1k investment would be worth $1.2M today.

Bitcoin is only 10 years old. A $1k investment would be worth $2.6 BILLION today.

The new financial system is creating generational wealth for many people. 🔥

https://twitter.com/apompliano/status/1128638988510736386?s=21
BTCMILLIONAIRE

View Profile
May 15, 2019, 01:35:23 PM

Diversification is about picking the best of each market segment and buying a little of each.  It is not about chasing penny stocks.

Portfolio performance is only gained with a range of stocks from each sector. The lower caps will always be more volatile and some will outperform the dominant stock.

We are only talking investment intent and actions here, not fundamental value. Therefore investment is about chasing penny stocks , and medium cap stocks, just as much as big-cap stocks.

The sort of investors we are talking about see cryptos as stocks, so plenty of money will flow into alts, and many will outperform BTC (considering price alone)

You are confusing two separate concepts.  

Diversification is a risk reduction technique.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diversification_(finance)

Portfolio optimization is about optimising a portfolio to achieve a specific objective (growth, income etc). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portfolio_optimization.

When you are saying ‘diversification’, you really mean portfolio optimization in a way that increases risk

If you want to optimize for high risk, high growth then chasing alts is the way to go. Don’t make the mistake of thinking this is diversification, because it’s not.
I don't know if that's what the wikipedia article says and if it is then it's absolutely retarded.

Say your portfolio has an expected return of 5%.

Now you buy some risky assets to add to your portfolio.

If that addition to your portfolio fails to increase your expected return beyond 5% you've failed to optimize your portfolio.

If it's equal you now have a more volatile portfolio, if it drops below 5% you've lowered your profitability. In both cases you have not optimized anything. So anyone who calls those cases portfolio optimization probably has a degree in Economics.

If you've indeed optimized your portfolio then your expected return has gone above 5%. Your portfolio may now have become more volatile depending on your relative exposition to those "risky assets", but you have not increased the risk. Unless you are talking about marginal probabilities, which would be nonsense considering that we are talking about an aggregate, a portfolio.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4861

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
May 15, 2019, 01:35:38 PM

So all in all I wouldn't p*ss on the potato patch that you're growing in if I were you. (I also make the same case in reverse to sh*coin maximalists by the way - for the same reasons).

I'm no horticulturist, but isn't urine actually a good fertilizer? Hence, you would want to piss on your potato patch?

It depends. Pissing on grass kills it eventually. People's dogs pissing on their lawns can cause chaos.

Shitting on your potato patch is a completely different matter. Hence we get that smell wafting in through train windows while passing a freshly fertilised field.

Too much fertilizer always burns out plants.

https://insteading.com/blog/human-urine-fertilizer/

Maybe that's why UROCoin failed despite being backed 1:1 with 1 metric tonne of Urea fertilizer (derived from piss).

Another dev tried a similar strategy with pisscoin, but strangely enough that failed too.

I don't feel qualified to comment on how a shitcoin based on Piss could possibly fail. Smiley

As with any source of nitrogen, urea itself can damage plants: nitrogen impairs or completely impedes seed germination, and too much nitrogen can give crops a “burn.”

https://www.smart-fertilizer.com/articles/urea-fertilizers
El duderino_
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 11968

BTC + Crossfit, living life.

View Profile
May 15, 2019, 01:37:31 PM

via Imgflip Meme Generator

Was cruising in the City last evening after playing... and saw this one, curious what kind of guy this would be....

HODLEr

Non HODLer

No coiner

??

...... Roll Eyes
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2019, 01:38:15 PM

The expression “piss poor” comes from those who sold their urine to tanners...

Piss was also used as a source for salt peter for gunpowder.
BTCMILLIONAIRE

View Profile
May 15, 2019, 01:47:00 PM

https://i.imgur.com/tBTkIye.gif

First wanna thank you guys for the "for most massively" support coming from you guys (for the source application)

Also wanna thank all the members who are mainly in other sections as speculation or our "WO-thread"

Then every member will know the application was my words that I wanted to say, but the PERFECT English wasn't my exact writing, so XhomerX thanks for helping me out putting my words in that awesome text, I owe you a very big THANK YOU and most of respect, helping a member out how you did.

Then jojo said one time he wasn't really sending support cause members he talk with and are became sources are a little bit difficult for him, as he doesn't want to make a joke that comes of like merit begging, I been with you guys a very long period of time and I will not change for one F*** while being in here and, I know you guys in here so just be the same to me and don't give a F***

That been said the sun is shining on the terrace where i'm drinking a fresh ginger thea and a sparkling water, the price is 7915$ and BTC looks as beautiful as always

1BTC still = 1BTC so nothing changed Cheesy
Congrats on finally getting accepted!

Celebrate with a bottle of:

It's pretty sweet. Almost like a dessert wine or liqueur.
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
May 15, 2019, 01:56:47 PM

bitcoin is more like an industrial standard like usb or internet.

Hmm. Maybe more like a standard for brush heads.

We're 10 years in and there are now 4 million blockchain transactions occurring each day, only about 0.3 Million (6%) of which are on the bitcoin network. Total reported daily trading volume is about $60 Billion, of which only $1.6 Billion occurs on the Bitcoin network. Another $27 billion or so is in off-chain trading of bitcoin as an asset and the other $30 billion is in non-bitcoin blockchain assets.

So again, contrary to your "standards" metaphor bitcoin is emerging as a horizontal asset, not a vertical one. It occupies a strategic role as a reserve tier within a complex, developing market

in 10 years, no one came up with any innovative use case.

That is for the most part b.s. and you probably know it is so I won't develop the point further other than to comment on your "it will be integrated into bitcoin" remark.

Sidechains, for example, are an interesting novelty but they're a technological diversification of bitcoin, not a monetary one. If I want an asset who's value is pegged to bitcoin, I'll buy bitcoin. If I want an asset with different monetary properties I'll buy one who's price is set by the free market commensurate with demand. Sidechains in that respect are simply a market rigging attempt by crazed mono-culture zealot developers who think that economics should work like a set of technical standards. It's the ultimate hypocrisy. First...there's no need for anything other than bitcoin, then later...ok, there is but its value must be fixed to bitcoin's.

No. As with any other innovation, the value will be set ultimately by the free market.
nutildah
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 7909

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2019, 02:03:14 PM

Was cruising in the City last evening after playing... and saw this one, curious what kind of guy this would be....

Must be Nelson's car.

BTW congrats on the big Merit Source victory. Some people have been waiting 6 months or longer since they applied (makes me think they were probably passed on but theymos didn't have the heart to tell them).
Last of the V8s
Legendary

Be a bank

View Profile
May 15, 2019, 02:07:31 PM
Merited by infofront (1)

Trouble with Bitcoin is it's far more disruptive than any of us realised.
Many of us are still stuck with fiat-based visions of the future.
But money is real now, at long last.
You can't go pouring huge gobs of fake money into futuristic projects any more.
You will lose your chance to buy more bitcoin and thereby to have any power or influence.
An OG with 50k coins will have more power than most countries do now.
~150 of them will have half the world's wealth.
By far the most people will not have any money at all.
Bitcoin will bring about a new feudal technocracy.
But first, complete chaos.
Last of the V8s
Legendary

Be a bank

View Profile
May 15, 2019, 02:11:15 PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/ac4eub/peter_rizun_dont_worry_bloxroutelabs_they_used_to/enjshro/
gmaxwell quietly dismantling Rizun
again
infofront (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 2780

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
May 15, 2019, 02:11:56 PM

Come on people, 'nance is about to open in 15 mins all being well

now is the time to focus

I just came

...to the realization that I might like big butts more than Bitcoin
Paashaas
Legendary

Activity: 3420
Merit: 4331

View Profile
May 15, 2019, 02:24:21 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1), infofront (1), gappie (1)

Last of the V8s
Legendary

Be a bank

View Profile
May 15, 2019, 02:38:15 PM

every shitcoin on the planet up ~10% - thanks CZ
except BCH, which has fork problems agin - congrats RVer
https://twitter.com/BitMEXResearch/status/1128670677442203652
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2019, 02:41:09 PM

Crypto Prime Dealer SFOX Partners With New York Bank to Offer New FDIC Protection

Institutional cryptocurrency prime dealer SFOX has partnered with a New York bank to offer state-insured bank accounts for traders,
the company confirmed in a blog post on May 14.
SFOX, which says the move is an industry first, stated the deal with M.Y. Safra Bank primarily targeted institutional investors and funds.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/crypto-prime-dealer-sfox-partners-with-new-york-bank-to-offer-new-fdic-protection

https://blog.sfox.com/sfox-partners-with-m-y-safra-bank-to-offer-segregated-fdic-insured-bank-accounts-7fa610cd8b5c

Ummm, NO.

1.3. Permitted Use. You agree and acknowledge that your use of the SFOX Site or the Services will not involve the use of any retirement funds, including any personal or indirect IRA investments and that you will not use the SFOX Site or the Services in connection with any unlawful or otherwise undesirable activity (as determined by SFOX in its absolute and sole discretion), including, but not limited to dealing in counterfeit goods, gambling, money laundering, or drug activity. In addition, you represent that your SFOX Account is discretionary in nature, and is not being used primarily for personal, family, or household purposes.

https://www.sfox.com/terms.html
Millionero

Activity: 807
Merit: 423

View Profile
May 15, 2019, 02:46:05 PM

The expression “piss poor” comes from those who sold their urine to tanners...

Piss was also used as a source for salt peter for gunpowder.
There's a cliffhanger scene in Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.  A gang of bad white dudes, out of gunpowder, is trapped on a mountaintop and being attacked by Indians.
The bad white dudes need to make gunpowder.  They piss and wait for the piss to dry in order to have saltpeter for the gunpowder.  The piss dries in time to make the gunpowder just as the indians are about to overrun the white dudes' position.
Then the white dudes blow away the injuns.
Last of the V8s
Legendary

Be a bank

View Profile
May 15, 2019, 02:48:15 PM

Come on people, 'nance is about to open in 15 mins all being well

now is the time to focus

I just came

...to the realization that I might like big butts more than Bitcoin

inorite?
i mean it takes a big hammer to drive a big strap-o... oh nvm
Pages: « 1 ... 23565 23566 23567 23568 23569 23570 23571 23572 23573 23574 23575 23576 23577 23578 23579 23580 23581 23582 23583 23584 23585 23586 23587 23588 23589 23590 23591 23592 23593 23594 23595 23596 23597 23598 23599 23600 23601 23602 23603 23604 23605 23606 23607 23608 23609 23610 23611 23612 23613 23614 [23615] 23616 23617 23618 23619 23620 23621 23622 23623 23624 23625 23626 23627 23628 23629 23630 23631 23632 23633 23634 23635 23636 23637 23638 23639 23640 23641 23642 23643 23644 23645 23646 23647 23648 23649 23650 23651 23652 23653 23654 23655 23656 23657 23658 23659 23660 23661 23662 23663 23664 23665 ... 33280 »
  Print  

Jump to: