April 25, 2024, 02:07:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 26991 26992 26993 26994 26995 26996 26997 26998 26999 27000 27001 27002 27003 27004 27005 27006 27007 27008 27009 27010 27011 27012 27013 27014 27015 27016 27017 27018 27019 27020 27021 27022 27023 27024 27025 27026 27027 27028 27029 27030 27031 27032 27033 27034 27035 27036 27037 27038 27039 27040 [27041] 27042 27043 27044 27045 27046 27047 27048 27049 27050 27051 27052 27053 27054 27055 27056 27057 27058 27059 27060 27061 27062 27063 27064 27065 27066 27067 27068 27069 27070 27071 27072 27073 27074 27075 27076 27077 27078 27079 27080 27081 27082 27083 27084 27085 27086 27087 27088 27089 27090 27091 ... 33301 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26367752 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Icygreen
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1135

View Profile
August 30, 2020, 07:17:35 AM

There is an unconfirmed report that Risto Pietila has died. By his own hand, people are saying. More if I get it.
Coincidentally, I was thinking of him the last few days as one of the Bitcoin OG's whom I believe struggled with mental health issues,  and wondering how he'd managed.  Sad
 As I understand, he gained and lost a fortune several times and scammed some folks along the way.
We often speak of Bitcoin mooning and I sometimes wonder how managing an enormous newfound wealth might inevitably impact my life and mental state.  A slippery slope no doubt

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10148

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
August 30, 2020, 07:38:35 AM
Last edit: August 30, 2020, 07:56:36 AM by JayJuanGee

There is an unconfirmed report that Risto Pietila has died. By his own hand, people are saying. More if I get it.

Hope that stays unconfirmed, stopped following him after his castle burned down and he stopped posting here

It may get murky. He did come back here after that, and he scammed a bunch of people. In recent times he was going down a rabbit hole - investigating the 'Pedo Word Order' if I may, so it will be hard to know what's what.

There was recently an unconnected twitter btc scammer who likely faked his death, but what has happened with Risto, I don't know. Those he didn't scam often liked him, and he's part of the whole history of our movement, from silver to bitcoin and monero, games, the scam, the castle and more. edit https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=68520

You can also look at some of his recent posts, and I cannot recall which of the promotional videos or was it brain storming sessions that I watched around 6 months ago in which Risto was talking about how his game (kingdom of the dragons, or maybe it was another one) would be designed around him as the leader (like the lead dragon) and the seeming goal was that he would receive all the power and money.. or some delusional nonsense like that.  

I made some kind of contemporary rolling my eyes response to seeing some of this discussions in the promotional videos (brainstorming sessions) or whatever those were.  

Of course, as long as I had been on the forum (or maybe it was a bit after I had been on... like a year or two into my forum tenure), it had been known that he need help for quite a while, in his marriage and his castle, including a variety of the crazy drama with some of his posts that seem to be including way too many personal details (I recall even sending him a PM to attempt to help him from some of his seeming oversharing), and remembering the laptop with the thousands of bitcoins that supposedly went missing at a conference around 6 years ago, too.

He was even in the hospital (psych ward and may even had been against his will around the time of his divorce or separation or whatever that was) for a while, which I believe included suicidal ideations.. but whether there would be actual suicide or an exit scam might not be immediately known, even though no one really wants to be wishing ill on the dead, if there were an actual death.. but sometimes with so many scams, including some of the famous ones like Gerald Cotton, people will frequently wonder if there is some kind of scam instead of an actual death.. and we even have some other recent forum members in which these kinds of real world facts had been questioned.

Coincidentally, I was thinking of him the last few days as one of the Bitcoin OG's whom I believe struggled with mental health issues,  and wondering how he'd managed.  Sad
 As I understand, he gained and lost a fortune several times and scammed some folks along the way.
We often speak of Bitcoin mooning and I sometimes wonder how managing an enormous newfound wealth might inevitably impact my life and mental state.  A slippery slope no doubt

Don't do it, Icygreen.. don't let the fortune get to you.  Try to remain calm / your old normal self; and keep all your same friends (and job too).    Wink Wink  No hookers, lambos or blow...   stay away from those.   Tongue

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Karartma1
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422

View Profile
August 30, 2020, 07:40:14 AM
Merited by El duderino_ (5), vapourminer (2), AlcoHoDL (1), 600watt (1), JSRAW (1), Icygreen (1)

This is it for me too. I am developing a strategy to keep sanity every new 10k increase or so. Bitcoin became something too big in my life, I did not expect it to be this way but, as I said, this is it.
Now I understand when they say "with great power comes great responsibility".

Confession
I recently lost more than 10 btc. I am not disclosing how that happened, still makes me mad. This has been haunting me for the last two years.
I am slowly re-building my bitcoin wealth by stacking as many sats as I possible can and exchange my leftover fiat at the end of the month.
This is the reason why you will see me changing my avatar from time to time as I join sig ad campaigns.

This is where I stand today, feels good to have finally shared my story with you.

Closing like Jimbo would do: Go BTC go!
Icygreen
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1135

View Profile
August 30, 2020, 08:04:43 AM
Merited by El duderino_ (3), Karartma1 (1), explorer (1)

Coincidentally, I was thinking of him the last few days as one of the Bitcoin OG's whom I believe struggled with mental health issues,  and wondering how he'd managed.  Sad
We often speak of Bitcoin mooning and I sometimes wonder how managing an enormous newfound wealth might inevitably impact my life and mental state.  A slippery slope no doubt

Don't do it, Icygreen.. don't let the fortune get to you.  Try to remain calm / your old normal self; and keep all your same friends (and job too).    Wink Wink  No hookers, lambos or blow...   stay away from those.   Tongue

Gotta stay vigilant humble and charitable. I believe you've described part of the process as a sort of fuck you status. All of a sudden, fuck this fuck that, fuck him, because, you know.... I gots mine.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10148

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
August 30, 2020, 08:23:23 AM
Merited by El duderino_ (2)

Coincidentally, I was thinking of him the last few days as one of the Bitcoin OG's whom I believe struggled with mental health issues,  and wondering how he'd managed.  Sad
We often speak of Bitcoin mooning and I sometimes wonder how managing an enormous newfound wealth might inevitably impact my life and mental state.  A slippery slope no doubt

Don't do it, Icygreen.. don't let the fortune get to you.  Try to remain calm / your old normal self; and keep all your same friends (and job too).    Wink Wink  No hookers, lambos or blow...   stay away from those.   Tongue

Gotta stay vigilant humble and charitable. I believe you've described part of the process as a sort of fuck you status. All of a sudden, fuck this fuck that, fuck him, because, you know.... I gots mine.

Seems to me that fuck you status is going to be characterized by BTC HODLers differently, but in reality, with fuck you status there should be some kind of ability to have options that were not available prior to reaching such status - so sure you could still choose to work and to live something similar to your previous life style, and sure you could choose NOT to live with conspicuous consumption.... including having concerns that you would still need to be able to manage your wealth, but many people who earn their own wealth have fewer problems in managing such wealth than if it were given to you too easily.. and sure maybe some of us BTC HODLers might come across our wealth too quickly (and I think that might be the problem that you were alluding to),  which causes us some losses in confidence regarding whether we will be able to manage our new status easily.. and of course, there can be a lot of new decisions regarding protecting wealth by reallocation into other assets or just safe guarding our private keys in ways that our coins might NOT all be in one spot (or even too many coins in that are not sufficiently in cold storage balanced with an ability to access the coins too... don't want the coins to be so far into cold storage that we forgot how or lost the ability to access them).

And, sure some charity might be good for karma but also good for the community / infrastructure overall.

I am not going to proclaim that it is likely to be a cake walk, even when you might believe that you have done quite a bit to prepare already....
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2020, 09:14:28 AM

source? or it didn't happened!  Roll Eyes
AlcoHoDL
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 4134

Addicted to HoDLing!

View Profile
August 30, 2020, 09:39:37 AM
Merited by El duderino_ (2)

Yeah, this is a valid concern for many of us... I've heard of people who won the Lottery (several $M) and two years later they were penniless and owing to banks...

I think it's up to the individual, his character and attitude towards life. Personally, I feel it won't change me or affect my mental state etc., but no one really knows until he gets into that "fuck you rich" state. We'll know soon enough.  Wink
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
August 30, 2020, 09:42:11 AM
Merited by xhomerx10 (1), 600watt (1)

It wont change me. Now blow some more coke up my arse damnit jeeves
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 30, 2020, 10:05:54 AM
Merited by El duderino_ (5), vapourminer (1), sirazimuth (1), 600watt (1), serveria.com (1)

Yeah, this is a valid concern for many of us... I've heard of people who won the Lottery (several $M) and two years later they were penniless and owing to banks...

I think it's up to the individual, his character and attitude towards life. Personally, I feel it won't change me or affect my mental state etc., but no one really knows until he gets into that "fuck you rich" state. We'll know soon enough.  Wink

Anyone who does well out of Bitcoin will have been tormented for several years before benefiting. It won't have arrived out of nowhere. That's a very different launchpad compared buying a scratchcard on your way to picking up some chemicals for the meth lab.

Years will have been sent delaying gratification (not 'high time preference' which is a phrase that needs a shotgun blast in the perineum) and that's a lot of time to refine some discipline.

El duderino_
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 11997

BTC + Crossfit, living life.

View Profile
August 30, 2020, 10:48:07 AM

This is it for me too. I am developing a strategy to keep sanity every new 10k increase or so. Bitcoin became something too big in my life, I did not expect it to be this way but, as I said, this is it.
Now I understand when they say "with great power comes great responsibility".

Confession
I recently lost more than 10 btc. I am not disclosing how that happened, still makes me mad. This has been haunting me for the last two years.
I am slowly re-building my bitcoin wealth by stacking as many sats as I possible can and exchange my leftover fiat at the end of the month.
This is the reason why you will see me changing my avatar from time to time as I join sig ad campaigns.

This is where I stand today, feels good to have finally shared my story with you.

Closing like Jimbo would do: Go BTC go!

Stack those sats !!

But recently or a few years back?  (Losing 10 coins?)
OutOfMemory
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 2994

Man who stares at charts

View Profile
August 30, 2020, 11:05:27 AM
Merited by El duderino_ (2), AlcoHoDL (1), Karartma1 (1)

Simple:
1. Make some of your biggest dreams come true.
2. Otherwise continue to live your life "normal"*

*maybe to new living standards, though.

I'd get some land, a stable and some horses, a small skatepark and independent energy source(s) for my home, maybe a foreign place for holiday and run/hide purposes.
No supercar(s), no castles, no seasteads, no bling, no hos, no blow. Wait... a garden of weeden, maybe. yeah, i guess  Grin
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3507

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
August 30, 2020, 11:13:39 AM
Last edit: August 30, 2020, 11:25:43 AM by vapourminer
Merited by 600watt (1), Karartma1 (1)

yeah never forget where you came from, you could find yourself right back to where you started. in my case being poor back in the day. paycheck to paycheck? that was paradise, i usually was out of money a day or two after payday.. dark times and mainly my fault.

being poor gives a pretty good perspective on finally having enough money to not worry too much about your next meal (or your next lambo perhaps).

mental health is a tough thing to self judge, after all how do you judge the state of your brain when your brain only can see whats interpreted and filtered (or even altered in many cases) through itself. if you cant trust your own brain.. well i cant see that being much fun at all.

edit: i may of screwed the quotes up

lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
August 30, 2020, 11:21:20 AM
Merited by El duderino_ (2), vapourminer (1), gentlemand (1)

I'd get some land, a stable and some horses, a small skatepark and independent energy source(s) for my home, maybe a foreign place for holiday and run/hide purposes.
No supercar(s), no castles, no seasteads, no bling, no hos, no blow. Wait... a garden of weeden, maybe. yeah, i guess  Grin

I think one thing that sinks lottery winners is that it the total cost of ownership of any item far exceeds the mere purchase price. Big houses cost a lot of money over time for upkeep/maintenance, as do Lambos. Rich people budget for this, flash rich people buy big houses for their family members then start getting hit up for repairs, maintenance, etc. Or they buy a "business" that needs a lot of capital that you shovel in because.... well you bought it.

Something to think about.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
August 30, 2020, 11:27:02 AM
Merited by El duderino_ (2), vapourminer (1), serveria.com (1)

Money wont change the essence of the person, at best/worst it will amplify it.

If someone is already an asshole, in all likelihood they just become a rich asshole.

(that was quote I heard on here pre-2013 btw)
Philipma1957cellphone

Activity: 416
Merit: 125

View Profile
August 30, 2020, 11:35:05 AM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

I think it's up to the individual, his character and attitude towards life. Personally, I feel it won't change me or affect my mental state etc., but no one really knows until he gets into that "fuck you rich" state. We'll know soon enough.  Wink
A co worker at my wife's job won two lotteries in one month. 2 MILL AND 7 MILL

he ended up divorced and working as an airport security guard.

The job he quit paid 110k the airport job was less then 1/2 that. It took under three years for the money to be lost.
bitserve
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1464

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
August 30, 2020, 11:42:14 AM
Merited by vapourminer (1), JayJuanGee (1), Karartma1 (1)

No supercar(s), no castles, no seasteads, no bling, no hos, no blow. Wait... a garden of weeden, maybe. yeah, i guess  Grin

I think one thing that sinks lottery winners is that it the total cost of ownership of any item far exceeds the mere purchase price. Big houses cost a lot of money over time for upkeep/maintenance, as do Lambos. Rich people budget for this, flash rich people buy big houses for their family members then start getting hit up for repairs, maintenance, etc. Or they buy a "business" that needs a lot of capital that you shovel in because.... well you bought it.

All true. They are not used to manage money and many are easy prey for unscrupulous financial advisors, personal bankers, etc. Also, many decide to be excessively generous with other family members etc... or, as you say, decide to start/buy business without having the slightlest idea of how to manage one and, what is even worse, employing family members thus creating a totally unprofitable sink hole that they are afraid to stop on time.

That way, and even without ever going into a lambos, hookers and coke spending spree, maybe even before substantially changing their life they find themselves bankrupt (sometimes without being aware of it until years after the fact).

Preserving/increasing wealth is a job in itself that requires some skills and dedication, otherwise easy comes easy goes.

That being said, I don't think the average OG Hodler would easily fall into above mistakes...

JSRAW
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1536

View Profile
August 30, 2020, 12:54:55 PM

Simple:

My first step would be keeping my mouth shut and emotions in check for fair amount of time.  Grin
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 3990
Merit: 4457

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
August 30, 2020, 12:58:08 PM
Last edit: August 30, 2020, 01:08:49 PM by JimboToronto
Merited by vapourminer (2), El duderino_ (2), xhomerx10 (1), JayJuanGee (1), AlcoHoDL (1), Karartma1 (1), serveria.com (1), JSRAW (1), bitserve (1), Toxic2040 (1)

Good morn Bitcoinland.
One one six two six dollars
Bitcoinaverage).

Sideways (slightly up)
OK but somewhat boring-
I need more coffee.

Go go Bitcoin go.
Go Bitcoin go Bitcoin go.
Go go Bitcoin go.

No supercar(s), no castles, no seasteads, no bling, no hos, no blow. Wait... a garden of weeden, maybe. yeah, i guess  Grin

All true. They are not used to manage money and many are easy prey for unscrupulous financial advisors, personal bankers, etc. Also, many decide to be excessively generous with other family members etc... or, as you say, decide to start/buy business without having the slightlest idea of how to manage one and, what is even worse, employing family members thus creating a totally unprofitable sink hole that they are afraid to stop on time.

That way, and even without ever going into a lambos, hookers and coke spending spree, maybe even before substantially changing their life they find themselves bankrupt (sometimes without being aware of it until years after the fact).

Preserving/increasing wealth is a job in itself that requires some skills and dedication, otherwise easy comes easy goes.

That being said, I don't think the average OG Hodler would easily fall into above mistakes...

It's hard to get rich
And not get caught up in it.
You must still think poor.

Ignore your new wealth
And spend like you always did
When you were dirt poor.

Scrimp on ev'rything
Keep your spending just as low
As in poverty.

It's never easy
And in time you'll find that you'll
Be spending faster.

Hopefully by then
You'll have saved enough money
And built good habits.

You can start living
Happily ever after.
Don't be n-word rich.

Hookers, Lambos, blow
Are obviously just traps
That keep suckers poor.

600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
August 30, 2020, 01:01:31 PM

it is a state owned, globally active, multibillion energy giant. if this works (and I don't see why it shouldn't) it will change the bitcoin mining landscape.

Mining cryptocurrency requires a lot of electricity to power computers, while a valuable commodity is wasted, and carbon emissions are created when we flare. By connecting these inverse pains, we can satisfy both needs with no cost to market expense.

besides the fact that this will make bitcoin hash power grow even stronger, it will also make the case against the "bitcoin-uses-too-much-energy" critique.

Digital flare mitigation offers a win-win alternative for producers and investors alike

digital flare mitigation...  

you heard it here first.  very good find V8 Cheesy

Last of the V8s
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 4392

Be a bank

View Profile
August 30, 2020, 01:10:26 PM

yes there's a whole world out there

https://www.upstreamdata.ca/datacenters

https://greenidgellc.com/
Pages: « 1 ... 26991 26992 26993 26994 26995 26996 26997 26998 26999 27000 27001 27002 27003 27004 27005 27006 27007 27008 27009 27010 27011 27012 27013 27014 27015 27016 27017 27018 27019 27020 27021 27022 27023 27024 27025 27026 27027 27028 27029 27030 27031 27032 27033 27034 27035 27036 27037 27038 27039 27040 [27041] 27042 27043 27044 27045 27046 27047 27048 27049 27050 27051 27052 27053 27054 27055 27056 27057 27058 27059 27060 27061 27062 27063 27064 27065 27066 27067 27068 27069 27070 27071 27072 27073 27074 27075 27076 27077 27078 27079 27080 27081 27082 27083 27084 27085 27086 27087 27088 27089 27090 27091 ... 33301 »
  Print  

Jump to: