April 23, 2024, 07:43:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 27031 27032 27033 27034 27035 27036 27037 27038 27039 27040 27041 27042 27043 27044 27045 27046 27047 27048 27049 27050 27051 27052 27053 27054 27055 27056 27057 27058 27059 27060 27061 27062 27063 27064 27065 27066 27067 27068 27069 27070 27071 27072 27073 27074 27075 27076 27077 27078 27079 27080 [27081] 27082 27083 27084 27085 27086 27087 27088 27089 27090 27091 27092 27093 27094 27095 27096 27097 27098 27099 27100 27101 27102 27103 27104 27105 27106 27107 27108 27109 27110 27111 27112 27113 27114 27115 27116 27117 27118 27119 27120 27121 27122 27123 27124 27125 27126 27127 27128 27129 27130 27131 ... 33295 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26366599 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4863

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
September 06, 2020, 12:04:18 AM

Looks to me like the $1,000/btc and below price levels need more testing. I'm just telling ya'll the truth. I could see maybe bitcoin long term stable in the $200-$500 range after a lot of faffing about.

Scientifically confirmed.
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2020, 12:05:35 AM

Well I have written several times that anything above 10k is not sustainable. I know that I will get Negative reactions again but I will probably still be writing this the next few years.

Would you care to make a bet?
aesma

Activity: 2380
Merit: 916

fly or die

View Profile
September 06, 2020, 12:54:01 AM

thinking of buying a bit, selling idea did not even cross my mind.
however, i think that you guys are wrong about the defi idea.

Mind you, the current crop is unimpressive, but so were excite, lycos and infoseek before google showed up in search.
Defi is inevitable, the question is only who the 1000 pound gorilla would be and which network would host it.
If you know of an app on btc that could do de-fi, speak out. There are some wallets, maybe Liquid, not much else (so far).
Cough-ethereum-cough is in the early lead, but it could be meaningless as we are talking about 4-7 bil out of 100 tril or so deployed there so far.
Plenty of time for btc to show its dominance in that area or leave it for some newcomer.
Eth cannot do defi because fees are too high, negating any reasonable tx, hence the recent crash.

Personally I have a problem with the mere concept of Defi. I don't see finance and decentralization going together. I see why it would attract some people, but I also see how governments are going to be all over it. I don't really see a use case either, but then again I live in a country where we don't have credit cards but debit ones. And there is no such thing as a credit score, or "refinancing", the less bank credits/mortgages you have the better.
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
September 06, 2020, 01:07:12 AM
Merited by savetherainforest (1)

I was going trough the old pages to catch up from a few months ago ! I got to say... I will miss those times! BUY ALL THE TOILET PAPER !!! Cheesy Cheesy haha!

If covid taught me one thing it's that bidets are godlike.
savetherainforest

Activity: 1848
Merit: 609

Plant 1xTree for each Satoshi earned!

View Profile
September 06, 2020, 01:10:52 AM

I was going trough the old pages to catch up from a few months ago ! I got to say... I will miss those times! BUY ALL THE TOILET PAPER !!! Cheesy Cheesy haha!

If covid taught me one thing it's that bidets are godlike.

People should learn about hot towels & bidets. Cheesy Cheesy

edit: Price seems stable. I was looking for Corona confessions from the last few hundred pages.
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3843

View Profile
September 06, 2020, 01:17:26 AM
Merited by d_eddie (1)

thinking of buying a bit, selling idea did not even cross my mind.
however, i think that you guys are wrong about the defi idea.

Mind you, the current crop is unimpressive, but so were excite, lycos and infoseek before google showed up in search.
Defi is inevitable, the question is only who the 1000 pound gorilla would be and which network would host it.
If you know of an app on btc that could do de-fi, speak out. There are some wallets, maybe Liquid, not much else (so far).
Cough-ethereum-cough is in the early lead, but it could be meaningless as we are talking about 4-7 bil out of 100 tril or so deployed there so far.
Plenty of time for btc to show its dominance in that area or leave it for some newcomer.
Eth cannot do defi because fees are too high, negating any reasonable tx, hence the recent crash.

Personally I have a problem with the mere concept of Defi. I don't see finance and decentralization going together. I see why it would attract some people, but I also see how governments are going to be all over it. I don't really see a use case either, but then again I live in a country where we don't have credit cards but debit ones. And there is no such thing as a credit score, or "refinancing", the less bank credits/mortgages you have the better.

defi (without idiotic 'yield farming') is just another term for automatic financing sans banks.
You have capital, you can lend it out on the blockchain that is able to employ smart contracts (be it at the core , in L2 or L3) and get interest.
Capital has to move, simple saving is insufficient for the advanced civilization to work.
Deployment could be automatic (on the blockchain like bitcoin) and highly effective.
Banks are less needed in defi world, hence no Cantillon effect and no pernicious brrr.
Poopooing defi will not be in bitcoin interest. Figuring out how to do it apart from essentially giving your coins to blockfi or Celsius and rely on their good graces might be important.
Governments have nothing to fear as taxing could be programmed in, if needed, not sure why they would be 'all over it'. They won't be, IMHO.
Why sell your btc when the time comes when you can use it more intelligently?
savetherainforest

View Profile
September 06, 2020, 01:27:42 AM

Don't you worry there! There will be some kind of open war with China soon. India just conquered some chinese base. Smiley ... So... Patience my friend... patience! Cheesy Cheesy
savetherainforest

View Profile
September 06, 2020, 01:40:38 AM

Guys I have been telling you since weeks, but I will reiterate again.

I will use Italian numbers, adjust downwards by the percentage you think it is correct because Italian population is old, Italians are not good at hospital or whatever reason you think it is correct, but the final reasoning do not change much:

As of today:

Code:
TOTAL INFECTED  17660  
DEATHS          1266   7.17%
RECOVERED       1439  
TOTAL POSITIVE  14955  
HOSPITALISED    7426   50%
ICU             1328   9%
RECOVERED       1439  

Here's the estimated worldwide numbers for the regular flu virus from October to today:

No. Percentages. How do they compare?

Goddamn idiot flubros.

I missed on a lot of good content! Smiley  ... Also a few days ago or something like that there was some kind of study or counting that the seasonal Flu has dropped 300-400 times or more in some parts of the world.  Shocked
savetherainforest

View Profile
September 06, 2020, 01:50:20 AM

Keep calm and where's your hat?
Sorry about this issue, I just didn't wear my hat for a while because I was in a trial signature campaign, I will bring it as soon as this campaign ends, it will take about 4 weeks (this is first week). Sorry if I let you down  Kiss

I was just trying to be funny.  I fully understand why people would rather make money Bitcoin than wear a silly hat.

AHAHAHA ... We 100% definitely need R0ach to say some random nazi sh!t about sh!tposters forcing sh!tposters to wear their nazi hats. Cheesy Cheesy
Xinarae*

Activity: 1414
Merit: 326

View Profile
September 06, 2020, 02:03:17 AM

Defi is inevitable

For those who actually use it for what it was intended, decentralized finance via crypto has been alive and well for a number of years. It doesn't need rebranding, new marketing, new tokens or a new blockchain. Those who need it seek it out and use it. Everyone else is just looking to make a quick buck on their backs.

Yes, To the point adding just think there are some people who only criticize but do not have enough knowledge or idea about cryptocurrency or bitcoin that is why they make bad comments about cryptocurrency or bitcoin, Since most people can't review these very well bad comments are the reason for their feelings. On the other hand since most of the time people have very little idea about cryptocurrency becomes very difficult to explain the whole thing to them.

However, it must be acknowledged that those who review the cryptocurrency must be very intelligent and use the cryptocurrency wisely. Cryptocurrency or Bitcoin is far ahead of all other digital currencies due to it's easy access to all other currencies.
nullius
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 2610

If you don’t do PGP, you don’t do crypto!

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2020, 02:08:20 AM
Merited by Biodom (1), JayJuanGee (1)

Jay,

That veritable mini-book you wrote to me is much appreciated.  I spent a long time drafting a reply thereto—then, a longer time contemplating whether or not it reveals too much potentially identifying information.  Not in the way you may think—but it’s nevertheless a concern, and I am still thinking about that.  With apologies, for now, I’ll need to cut the main part, and leave only the tangent at the end:

I understand that even forum members who have been around a long time might not have completely left their BTC accumulation stage, so the three stages of long term investing are accumulation, maintenance and then liquidation, [...]

As a matter of thinking differently about goals, I posit that, unless a major expenditure is desired, there should be no “liquidation” phase for any asset with the fundamentals to constitute a long-term investment (as opposed to a short-term speculation).  Given your apparent familiarity with estate planning, you can probably guess why:  A goal of parlaying personal success into the intergenerational accumulation of familial wealth.

What is best left to one’s children?  Depreciating fiat currency?  Or a portfolio of gold, real estate, and nowadays, Bitcoin?  (I don’t consider stocks to be a “long-term” investment, unless either it is a large share of a privately held company under management personally known and trusted, or you have a Warren Buffet strategy with commensurate capital.)

Of course, such planning must assure insofar as practicable that one’s heirs are of a character to grow the wealth and pass it on, rather than irresponsibly dissipating it.  Now, there is a discussion which could delve deeply into the context of the rule against perpetuities—among many other topics:  The legal terms of devises cannot substitute for sound breeding and upraising.

A small anecdote:  Many years ago, I had an affair with a woman whose late father had devised significant assets to a trust with her as a beneficiary.  The trust was made to convey its assets to her when she was thirty-five years of age, on condition that she was married.  Obviously, the late gentleman must have desired some assurance that he would have grandchildren who would naturally benefit from their mother’s enrichment.  Well—she was past age thirty-five, married, independently wealthy thanks to papa, and—she didn’t want any children, ever!  In a sumptuous hotel bed that she paid for, she told me that she had never before cheated on her husband; take that for what it’s worth.

I would suggest that for having heirs worthy of the estate, the human element is much more important than legal concerns over the rule against perpetuities, etc.
nullius
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 2610

If you don’t do PGP, you don’t do crypto!

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2020, 02:29:38 AM
Merited by Last of the V8s (1)

Soooo...  Any insights on if/when/how we are getting decoupled from stocks, and (I hope) coupled to precious metals?

Not for a while. Not as long as we are up against the Musk ponzi and the mighty traders of Wall Street

Anyway a few recent coincidences do not a coupling make.

Taking that little tall tale of “wallstreetbets” at face value:*

“20-something virgin”!?  20?  29?  Regardless, my takeaway from that story is that buying Tesla stock is for mental eunuchs with congenitally defective instincts.  If you can’t figure out how to communicate with females on a normal time scale, then perhaps you shouldn’t be bragging on the Internet about how you lied, scammed your mum for petty cash, gambled it, got lucky, and then decided to use the proceeds to hire a £300/hour therapist to help with your problem.  (Dear me, that girl should raise her rates if this is what she has to deal with.)

The whole story makes TSLA a STRONG SELL.  Are their cars (let’s call them Muskmobiles) also for sexually inadequate losers who scam their own mothers to get laid?

* Of course, parts of the story are implausible (5-star penthouse suite for “£150 per night”?).  But who cares?  That is not the point.

All the enemy's traders do now is accumulate and pump/suppress prices to grab up the mindrust coins and Robinhood traderz shares.

Poor mindrust.  He never got back in, did he?

Meanwhile the Wuille mammoth is a slow beast, taproot and its associated knobs and gadgets are taking for fucking ever, so I don't expect us to shoot much ahead of Tesla or gold this time round, or for very long.

Well, they deliver us something better than Ethland-style “move fast and break things”.

There is still significant technical work being done on the relevant BIPs, although IIUC, they are almost done.  I expect for the real slowdown to be getting it activated—not (I hope) any nonsense as with Segwit v0, since all the anti-Segwit crowd has been shaken out to forked shitcoins; and fortunately, Segwit’s versioning system was designed to make these upgrades smooth from v0 all the way up to v15.  It’s just slow to get even softfork changes running live on a currency network that doesn’t move fast and break things.
savetherainforest

View Profile
September 06, 2020, 02:45:38 AM
Merited by BobLawblaw (1)

Cheesy Cheesy

All this dolphin "Defi" nonsense just makes me get a mental block and all I can think is:

Cheesy Cheesy .... ROFL !!! Cheesy Cheesy
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2020, 02:54:40 AM

AHAHAHA ... We 100% definitely need R0ach to say some random nazi sh!t about sh!tposters forcing sh!tposters to wear their nazi hats. Cheesy Cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKneUFwVkXI

Close?
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3843

View Profile
September 06, 2020, 02:55:15 AM
Last edit: September 06, 2020, 03:15:08 AM by Biodom

Jay,

That veritable mini-book you wrote to me is much appreciated.  I spent a long time drafting a reply thereto—then, a longer time contemplating whether or not it reveals too much potentially identifying information.  Not in the way you may think—but it’s nevertheless a concern, and I am still thinking about that.  With apologies, for now, I’ll need to cut the main part, and leave only the tangent at the end:

I understand that even forum members who have been around a long time might not have completely left their BTC accumulation stage, so the three stages of long term investing are accumulation, maintenance and then liquidation, [...]

As a matter of thinking differently about goals, I posit that, unless a major expenditure is desired, there should be no “liquidation” phase for any asset with the fundamentals to constitute a long-term investment (as opposed to a short-term speculation).  Given your apparent familiarity with estate planning, you can probably guess why:  A goal of parlaying personal success into the intergenerational accumulation of familial wealth.

What is best left to one’s children?  Depreciating fiat currency?  Or a portfolio of gold, real estate, and nowadays, Bitcoin?  (I don’t consider stocks to be a “long-term” investment, unless either it is a large share of a privately held company under management personally known and trusted, or you have a Warren Buffet strategy with commensurate capital.)

Of course, such planning must assure insofar as practicable that one’s heirs are of a character to grow the wealth and pass it on, rather than irresponsibly dissipating it.  Now, there is a discussion which could delve deeply into the context of the rule against perpetuities—among many other topics:  The legal terms of devises cannot substitute for sound breeding and upraising.

A small anecdote:  Many years ago, I had an affair with a woman whose late father had devised significant assets to a trust with her as a beneficiary.  The trust was made to convey its assets to her when she was thirty-five years of age, on condition that she was married.  Obviously, the late gentleman must have desired some assurance that he would have grandchildren who would naturally benefit from their mother’s enrichment.  Well—she was past age thirty-five, married, independently wealthy thanks to papa, and—she didn’t want any children, ever!  In a sumptuous hotel bed that she paid for, she told me that she had never before cheated on her husband; take that for what it’s worth.

I would suggest that for having heirs worthy of the estate, the human element is much more important than legal concerns over the rule against perpetuities, etc.

Exactly... and we would need to have some way of using our assets (btc) in the future without selling them.
I predict that there will be a huge industry helping those with btc achieve just that.
Additionally, very rich today rarely sell their assets as there are many ways to profit without selling.
BTW, aren't South Dakota trusts able to overcome 'no perpetuity' clause?
Personally, I am not really into it.
d_eddie
Legendary

Activity: 2478
Merit: 2895

View Profile
September 06, 2020, 03:24:02 AM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

Perhaps your right, perhaps not, but in the end i dont really care if you believe me or not, its your choice

In these here parts we often have it as "If you don't believe me or don't get it, I don't have time to try to convince you, sorry".
Vectra

Activity: 345
Merit: 4

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2020, 05:10:55 AM

needs to go lower, we're not able to push from here
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
September 06, 2020, 05:13:07 AM

Most altcoins dipped significantly harder than bitcoin today.

EDIT:
turns out roughly in +1% market dominance.

I don't even see BSv in top 10 on CMC someone should check on the jbreher

...because...?

(incidentally, it is currently at (an admittedly embarrassing) #9 )
jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2020, 05:15:43 AM

Most altcoins dipped significantly harder than bitcoin today.

EDIT:
turns out roughly in +1% market dominance.

I don't even see BSv in top 10 on CMC someone should check on the jbreher
Market going down very badly and just 4 coins in green from top 50 BSv is sliping badly.

Yup. In the past 24 hours, it is only up 4.16% compared to BTC.

(full disclosure - it's down 3.47% against BTC in the last seven days.)

(some days are good, some days less so)
jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2020, 05:25:05 AM
Merited by Hueristic (1)

I know an investment banker that simply buys and sells three to four million a day in bonds.

if there was one bond that entire industry would fail.

And we should care, because ... ? Why? Exactly?
Boo hoo - poor banker will need to find another source of work that actually advances things for others, rather than parasiting doing nothing but moving imaginary bookkeeping entries around.

Sorry, just calling it as I see it.

Wont work will cause stillness entropy and stagnation.

Might not work for the pinstripe bandit class, but all that financialization does exactly nothing productive for people who work for a living.
Pages: « 1 ... 27031 27032 27033 27034 27035 27036 27037 27038 27039 27040 27041 27042 27043 27044 27045 27046 27047 27048 27049 27050 27051 27052 27053 27054 27055 27056 27057 27058 27059 27060 27061 27062 27063 27064 27065 27066 27067 27068 27069 27070 27071 27072 27073 27074 27075 27076 27077 27078 27079 27080 [27081] 27082 27083 27084 27085 27086 27087 27088 27089 27090 27091 27092 27093 27094 27095 27096 27097 27098 27099 27100 27101 27102 27103 27104 27105 27106 27107 27108 27109 27110 27111 27112 27113 27114 27115 27116 27117 27118 27119 27120 27121 27122 27123 27124 27125 27126 27127 27128 27129 27130 27131 ... 33295 »
  Print  

Jump to: