April 23, 2024, 10:40:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 27112 27113 27114 27115 27116 27117 27118 27119 27120 27121 27122 27123 27124 27125 27126 27127 27128 27129 27130 27131 27132 27133 27134 27135 27136 27137 27138 27139 27140 27141 27142 27143 27144 27145 27146 27147 27148 27149 27150 27151 27152 27153 27154 27155 27156 27157 27158 27159 27160 27161 [27162] 27163 27164 27165 27166 27167 27168 27169 27170 27171 27172 27173 27174 27175 27176 27177 27178 27179 27180 27181 27182 27183 27184 27185 27186 27187 27188 27189 27190 27191 27192 27193 27194 27195 27196 27197 27198 27199 27200 27201 27202 27203 27204 27205 27206 27207 27208 27209 27210 27211 27212 ... 33296 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26366920 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
September 25, 2020, 02:23:13 PM

i am taking a bet on CT. if price reaches $400k before next halving I lose 1 btc. if it doesn't, I win 1 btc.

already salivating...
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Paashaas
Legendary

Activity: 3422
Merit: 4342

View Profile
September 25, 2020, 02:30:03 PM
Merited by 600watt (5), JayJuanGee (1)

i am trying to find out how money transfers through banks technically work (ACH, SEPA). I cannot find anything useful, there are just general descriptions but not detailed technical descriptions. what I want to find out is to what level present day money transfers between private consumers or between business and customer are automated/digitized. how do clearing houses work under the hood? how do they receive, control and process transactions? how are their databases connected or are their kept separate? 

i am willing to rain merits for useful info. or even sats. is there a banker here or someone with prime knowledge about this topic?

thank you!

This is what you might looking for 600watt.

Prepair for a long though read.

https://www.europeanpaymentscouncil.eu/sites/default/files/kb/file/2018-11/EPC125-05%202017%20SCT%20Rulebook%20version%201.3.pdf
psycodad
Legendary

Activity: 1604
Merit: 1564

精神分析的爸

View Profile
September 25, 2020, 02:33:09 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

OT: Amazon upping their in-home spy devices game from a "hard no" to "oh hell fucking no!" level :

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rings-tiny-drone-autonomously-fly-173100481.html

But wait, there is more:

https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1304450801746587648
Today in "Cyberpunk is a warning, not a suggestion" news, Amazon has released a landlord edition of its Alexa surveillance speaker that can be forced upon tenants.

There is even more:

Gen. Keith Alexander is joining Amazon’s board of directors, the company revealed in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing today. (Alexander has also been added to the company board’s official site.)

I am not sure if Amazon or the TLAs scare me more nowadays and not sure which ones are more powerful either.
psycodad
Legendary

精神分析的爸

View Profile
September 25, 2020, 02:48:23 PM
Merited by El duderino_ (2), Hueristic (1), JayJuanGee (1)

^^^

Dude, I think you're too kind/honest to be a politician, so it's all good, no need to worry.

But... Don't forget that we all put our letters in envelopes (even innocent letters to mum), we don't send them open so that the text can be read by anyone. Privacy doesn't necessarily mean illegal activity. Some things must be kept private, and I hate it when this privacy is violated.

Actually that been said in very nice words.... I do understand... Like I have send some text to my now Ex, its better no one reads that sh*t of-course, weak looking fool me at the time... But I only do say, no one would be able to scratch one $ out of me with any content, if i'm violated then its pity, but I will sleep the same.

While I totally sympathize with Duderino's "I don't care what they think of me" attitude, there is a deeper problem the Dude doesn't see yet.

Imagine for a moment the General Attorney for Belgium or the USA (coz we all know they have powers everywhere) wants to get promoted by proving the Dude to be a kiddy fiddler, terrrst, money launderer, hacker etc.
Ask yourself for a moment if you've never said, email, texted, chatted any sentence or words that could - if even completely taken out of context - support the GA's case? Or if any search on Google, any location Apple has recorded from you, any books and items you bought from Amazon could eventually be used against you.

When I was a young cypherpunk we often quoted Cardinal Richelieu:

Qu'on me donne six lignes écrites de la main du plus honnête homme, j'y trouverai de quoi le faire pendre.
==
If you give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest of men, I will find something in them which will hang him. 

Even though I am sure you mean something different it can be read as "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear" which is plain out wrong and reliably triggers my ranting and raving seen above  Grin
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
September 25, 2020, 02:52:00 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

Edit:  Dabs, there you go, pre-empting me while I am writing a post and multitasking:
2. Snail mail is usually in sealed envelopes.

My general policy is that if you don’t want to use end-to-end encrypted communications, which are easier to use than ever before (with so many things available that are easier than using gpg in the terminal!), it means that you do not want to talk to me.  Bye!  Although that is not always practical to enforce in business matters, I actually cut people out of my personal life over this.

...make even minimal effort to talk to you.

Reminds me of Snowden. He kinda forced the media who were trying to help him at the time he was escaping to Hong Kong or thereabouts (according to the movies about him); encrypt or don't say anything.

I would argue that in the case of PMs (private messages) on this board, only the admins can easily read them if they were unencrypted. Mods do not have that power. The whole site goes through https, so ... there is some encryption going on, just not really end-to-end person to person. So who can read PMs here? Basically theymos and a handful of other admins, and anyone who compels them to.

So encrypt your PMs, no one can read them for sure.

Still, those who I've worked with, tend to GPG encrypt stuff, or at least sign them when it involves addresses.

As for aliens, I'd wait until we have a small ring of solar panels surrounding our planet Earth ... Not exactly a Dyson sphere (since that goes around the Sun), but it should take care of our immediate energy needs in the near future.

It would probably start with solar panels on the ground too, or on the water. So much empty land and oceans.
bitserve
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1464

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
September 25, 2020, 02:52:17 PM

i am taking a bet on CT. if price reaches $400k before next halving I lose 1 btc. if it doesn't, I win 1 btc.

already salivating...

How can I make a bet/hedge like that? Asking for friend...
Cryptotourist

Activity: 1190
Merit: 755

Homo Sapiens Bitcoinerthalensis

View Profile
September 25, 2020, 02:56:05 PM

already salivating...

Hello, is that me? (just making sure)
Thank you for the offer, but it seems we have a few problems with that bet already.

1. Bitstamp price? Tongue
[No, cryptotourist.exchange.io]

2. I don't believe that BTC will reach $400k before the next halving.
My guesstimate for this bull run, is $80k-$240k. I know it's a big spread, but I can't be more precise for now. DEC 2021 btw. And then we drop. Hard.

3. I'm not a gambler. In fact, I even quit online poker last year. I do enjoy however, occasionally taking my friends petty money on a live table.

4. I value 1 BTC way too much to put in on the line.

The "if we dip below $10k again" beer on me, of course stands.
VB1001
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 2540

<<CypherPunkCat>>

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2020, 02:58:34 PM
Merited by 600watt (5)

i am trying to find out how money transfers through banks technically work (ACH, SEPA). I cannot find anything useful, there are just general descriptions but not detailed technical descriptions. what I want to find out is to what level present day money transfers between private consumers or between business and customer are automated/digitized. how do clearing houses work under the hood? how do they receive, control and process transactions? how are their databases connected or are their kept separate? 

i am willing to rain merits for useful info. or even sats. is there a banker here or someone with prime knowledge about this topic?

thank you!

This is what you might looking for 600watt.

Prepair for a long though read.

https://www.europeanpaymentscouncil.eu/sites/default/files/kb/file/2018-11/EPC125-05%202017%20SCT%20Rulebook%20version%201.3.pdf

Understanding SEPA https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E39583_01/fscm92pbr0/eng/fscm/fgat/concept_UnderstandingSEPA-347ef4.html
bitserve
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1464

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
September 25, 2020, 02:58:48 PM
Merited by nullius (1)

Edit:  Dabs, there you go, pre-empting me while I am writing a post and multitasking:
2. Snail mail is usually in sealed envelopes.

My general policy is that if you don’t want to use end-to-end encrypted communications, which are easier to use than ever before (with so many things available that are easier than using gpg in the terminal!), it means that you do not want to talk to me.  Bye!  Although that is not always practical to enforce in business matters, I actually cut people out of my personal life over this.

...make even minimal effort to talk to you.

Reminds me of Snowden. He kinda forced the media who were trying to help him at the time he was escaping to Hong Kong or thereabouts (according to the movies about him); encrypt or don't say anything.

I would argue that in the case of PMs (private messages) on this board, only the admins can easily read them if they were unencrypted. Mods do not have that power. The whole site goes through https, so ... there is some encryption going on, just not really end-to-end person to person. So who can read PMs here? Basically theymos and a handful of other admins, and anyone who compels them to.

So encrypt your PMs, no one can read them for sure.

Cloudflare.
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 5039

View Profile
September 25, 2020, 03:03:38 PM
Last edit: September 25, 2020, 04:25:03 PM by Torque
Merited by JayJuanGee (1), psycodad (1)

OT: Amazon upping their in-home spy devices game from a "hard no" to "oh hell fucking no!" level :

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rings-tiny-drone-autonomously-fly-173100481.html

But wait, there is more:

https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1304450801746587648
Today in "Cyberpunk is a warning, not a suggestion" news, Amazon has released a landlord edition of its Alexa surveillance speaker that can be forced upon tenants.

They're not even trying to hide the future Orwellian surveillance agenda anymore. And I must say, it's a brilliant marketing strategy: "In the beginning we'll let them invite these devices into their homes, offices, schools, apartments, restaurants, etc. willingly. Then one day in the future, we'll make them so integrated into their lives and necessary that they will all become mandatory."

While I totally sympathize with Duderino's "I don't care what they think of me" attitude, there is a deeper problem the Dude doesn't see yet.

Imagine for a moment the General Attorney for Belgium or the USA (coz we all know they have powers everywhere) wants to get promoted by proving the Dude to be a kiddy fiddler, terrrst, money launderer, hacker etc.
Ask yourself for a moment if you've never said, email, texted, chatted any sentence or words that could - if even completely taken out of context - support the GA's case? Or if any search on Google, any location Apple has recorded from you, any books and items you bought from Amazon could eventually be used against you.

Or imagine that every socially/politically charged statement that you've ever made in the privacy of your own home, every off-handed comment, every off-color/non-PC joke, even comments/statements or an epic rant that you've made that could be misconstrued by someone as "racist", "fascist", "nazi", "misogynist", "against the government", "against the police", "illegal", "pedo", or whatever, gets recorded by your spy-device du jour. And the next thing you know, you've been doxxed, outed, your face all over social media, the media prints a false statement about you, you lose your job, you lose your business, etc. Or worse, you get arrested over it.

It may not even be you per se...it may be your idiot friends or family that come over and say or do idiotic, or possibly even illegal, things that get recorded. You may be implicated by association.

Even a heated argument or fight between you and your spouse could get recorded, and then used against you as "emotional distress" or "battery".

It doesn't matter if you think that you are not breaking any laws. These days you will be unfairly tried and convicted in the court of public opinion.

Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
September 25, 2020, 03:21:47 PM

Cloudflare.

I wouldn't worry about them too much. It's assumed they can read it, but will a human? (maybe if they keep the data and perform searches, maybe). Cloudflare / government does not mean anyone else in the public can. Perhaps hackers who break into cloudflare or work for the government.

You have bigger issues if you are specifically a target.

Encrypt your PMs and it's unreadable.
aesma

Activity: 2380
Merit: 916

fly or die

View Profile
September 25, 2020, 03:30:30 PM

My sister offered me and my father a DNA test kit, the kind that will tell me I'm 42% this, 23% that, etc. Which in itself is total BS and very "unFrench".

Offering it to me and my father, she didn't realize it sent the message "there are doubts about your parentality". Probably because there is in fact no doubt, we look very much alike, have the same shade of grey-blue eyes, the same slight eye defect to the same eye...

Knowing I'm a fan of Agatha Christie, police procedurals, CSI, the concept of a perfect crime, she didn't realize I would never give my DNA willingly !

And nowadays that's not enough, you must convince your extended family not to do it either, which in my case is a daunting task as my family is very large.
BitcoinGirl.Club
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 2711

Farewell LEO: o_e_l_e_o

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2020, 03:44:09 PM

Good afternoon WO!
Observing @ $10,660
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
September 25, 2020, 03:50:09 PM

My sister offered me and my father a DNA test kit, the kind that will tell me I'm 42% this, 23% that, etc. Which in itself is total BS and very "unFrench".

That was very popular a year or so ago. But if you look on YouTube people are getting confusing results. When same person send it to few different companies to test it and get very different results . Companies also give you different kind of results. Some, but is more expensive, can also tel you to what diseases you are prone to. That would be a useful test. But question is how accurate they are and if false it would just give you more worries.
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 3990
Merit: 4448

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
September 25, 2020, 03:55:06 PM

Good morning Bitcoinland

Still sideways... currently $10672USD/$14308CAD (Bitcoinaverage).

C'mon Bitcoin move up. I have to sell a little to pay month-end expenses.

Go Bitcoin go.

Privacy doesn't necessarily mean illegal activity. Some things must be kept private, and I hate it when this privacy is violated.

No freaking kidding. Invasion of privacy is what's criminal.

There is no freedom without anonymity. Identification is evil.

It's depressing how many people voluntarily post pictures and personal information about themselves on "social" (haha) networking websites. I guess their little lives are so insignificant they're starved for attention.

Some even go so far as to actually want to be famous. Fame is a bothersome price that is paid to acquire wealth.

The secret is to acquire wealth and success without fame. Go Bitcoin go!!!
psycodad
Legendary

精神分析的爸

View Profile
September 25, 2020, 04:03:59 PM

Offering it to me and my father, she didn't realize it sent the message "there are doubts about your parentality". Probably because there is in fact no doubt, we look very much alike, have the same shade of grey-blue eyes, the same slight eye defect to the same eye...

Knowing I'm a fan of Agatha Christie, police procedurals, CSI, the concept of a perfect crime, she didn't realize I would never give my DNA willingly !

And nowadays that's not enough, you must convince your extended family not to do it either, which in my case is a daunting task as my family is very large.

Ancestry.com which made roughly 1 bil annual revenue was just recently sold to Blackstone for 4.7 bil:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ancestry-m-a-blackstone-group-idUSKCN2512ES

The key to this very high price (wrt annual revs) is probably this:

Today Ancestry said it has 3 million paying subscribers, a collection of 24 billion records, and more than 18 million people in its AncestryDNA network.

That is about 20 cents per DNA record set. Resold to interested parties at $1 per record set a few times should result in a nice profit I guess.

If you ever used ancestry, you are now their product on sale, even though you paid for the service.
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 3990
Merit: 4448

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
September 25, 2020, 04:16:10 PM

Today Ancestry said it has 3 million paying subscribers...

That's a lot of suckers actually paying to be data-mined in the most invasive way. Pathetic.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4863

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
September 25, 2020, 04:51:54 PM

The fight between Nada & Frank was hilarious. Just wear the fucking glasses man! Damn!

Nada: "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum." Epic!

That was a hilarious fight, this is another of my favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwGkOFb2j7s

Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4863

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
September 25, 2020, 05:22:18 PM

All non-public communications should be encrypted.  Period.

If you only encrypt selected things, then you are red-flagging those things as “something to hide”, leaking what is in practical effect contextual metadata, and inviting targeted attackers to seek specifically the things that you wanted to encrypt.  Oops.

W0rd.
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
September 25, 2020, 05:33:45 PM

already salivating...

How can I make a bet/hedge like that? Asking for friend...

what is your twitter handle? I can dm you his betting offer and maybe he is willing take more than just the bet with me. since it will be done via smart contract on bitcoin once it is set up, no cheating is possible.
Pages: « 1 ... 27112 27113 27114 27115 27116 27117 27118 27119 27120 27121 27122 27123 27124 27125 27126 27127 27128 27129 27130 27131 27132 27133 27134 27135 27136 27137 27138 27139 27140 27141 27142 27143 27144 27145 27146 27147 27148 27149 27150 27151 27152 27153 27154 27155 27156 27157 27158 27159 27160 27161 [27162] 27163 27164 27165 27166 27167 27168 27169 27170 27171 27172 27173 27174 27175 27176 27177 27178 27179 27180 27181 27182 27183 27184 27185 27186 27187 27188 27189 27190 27191 27192 27193 27194 27195 27196 27197 27198 27199 27200 27201 27202 27203 27204 27205 27206 27207 27208 27209 27210 27211 27212 ... 33296 »
  Print  

Jump to: