April 20, 2024, 03:39:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 27148 27149 27150 27151 27152 27153 27154 27155 27156 27157 27158 27159 27160 27161 27162 27163 27164 27165 27166 27167 27168 27169 27170 27171 27172 27173 27174 27175 27176 27177 27178 27179 27180 27181 27182 27183 27184 27185 27186 27187 27188 27189 27190 27191 27192 27193 27194 27195 27196 27197 [27198] 27199 27200 27201 27202 27203 27204 27205 27206 27207 27208 27209 27210 27211 27212 27213 27214 27215 27216 27217 27218 27219 27220 27221 27222 27223 27224 27225 27226 27227 27228 27229 27230 27231 27232 27233 27234 27235 27236 27237 27238 27239 27240 27241 27242 27243 27244 27245 27246 27247 27248 ... 33285 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26364849 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 5039

View Profile
October 04, 2020, 04:06:29 PM

Either you are close to reaching "fuck you" status, or you have already reached it.

Either of those scenarios would be good newses.

Alternatively, you wrongly believe that you have reached "fuck you" status in regards to you are in a kind of denial state about possible "master(s)" that you are failing/refusing to recognize or grant proper credit(s).  That would suck.  Cry

Curious question: If one were to finally achieve "fuck you" status level, what would be the motivation to continue posting around here?

Asking for a friend.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3836

View Profile
October 04, 2020, 04:07:45 PM
Last edit: October 04, 2020, 04:20:30 PM by Biodom
Merited by El duderino_ (2), JayJuanGee (1)

Ok.  I watched that clip.

How come when they left, they did not take the briefcase with them?

Am I missing something?  By the way, I had never seen the whole movie, so surely I must be missing something about the meaning of that briefcase.

Also, why was the one cowering black kid spared?  Travolta's character goes up to him in the end of the clip, and he asked why they were not told about the guy with the BIG gun who was hiding in the bathroom, and the kid does not answer - yet he was spared.

Oh, my..you did not watch the movie yet? A classic.
Spared because, obviously, he was the one who rat the rest of them out.
That 'sparing" though....watch the movie.
Vincent Vega (Travolta) carries the briefcase out of the apartment.   unclear, not in the frame
What is in the briefcase, albeit valuable, is largely irrelevant to the plot.

Either you are close to reaching "fuck you" status, or you have already reached it.

Alternatively, you wrongly believe that you have reached "fuck you" status in regards to you are in a kind of denial state about possible "master(s)" that you are failing/refusing to recognize or grant proper credit(s).  That would suck.  Cry

Curious question: If one were to finally achieve "fuck you" status level, what would be the motivation to continue posting around here?

Asking for a friend.

I guess it could be : "fu, and you and you....but not WO" status, perhaps?  Grin
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4863

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
October 04, 2020, 04:14:49 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

Alternatively, you wrongly believe that you have reached "fuck you" status in regards to you are in a kind of denial state about possible "master(s)" that you are failing/refusing to recognize or grant proper credit(s).  That would suck.  Cry

Asking for a friend.

So you believe the only reason to be here is to achieve a goal and then leave?

I feel sorry for anyone in that catagory.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10134

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
October 04, 2020, 04:20:55 PM
Merited by El duderino_ (2), vapourminer (1), Hueristic (1), AlcoHoDL (1), 600watt (1)

My master is satoshi: keep your OPSEC clean, behave, do not do harm and, eventually, disappear. There is an old saying: If you want to hide the treasure, put it in plain sight. Then no one will see it.

I have no master and I thank Satoshi among others for this reality.

Alternatively, you wrongly believe that you have reached "fuck you" status in regards to you are in a kind of denial state about possible "master(s)" that you are failing/refusing to recognize or grant proper credit(s).  That would suck.  Cry

Fuck you status is a state of mind I have been in my entire life. Wink

Other variables as you pointed out can make that status easier to attain.

O.k..

I will concede to that way of framing the matter because it also ties to living within one's means, which causes options, and of course, there could be higher thresholds that provide for greater options, such as getting rid of the mandatory JOB, and causing the job to become more of an option.

Shouldn't we also recognize that there are a decent number of people who are stuck in various kinds of JOBs, but they mentally frame the matter in such a way that causes them to accept that they do not have very many options.

I remember having times in which I was performing pretty menial and denigrating jobs, but I had various kinds of ways to make myself feel good about the matter - and surely even to feel like I was enjoying the matter.

Perhaps the devil is in the details, and surely I am having some difficulties arguing with you in regards to these points, because sometimes people do put too much emphasis into all or nothing achievements, but there surely are scenarios in which the introduction to bitcoin and thereafter taking meaningful investment actions would later lead to greater states of empowerment and options merely because the investment made returns that were way beyond any other investment asset that you had been holding.

So, from your forum registration, I will presume that both you and I got into bitcoin at a very similar time, so I will use late 2013 as a hypothetical investment date.

So that would provide nearly a 7 year investment time horizon. 

Let's say that we are living largely paycheck to paycheck and with modest savings and modest investments that allow us to largely cover all of our expenses on a regular basis and we have enough savings that we could live for 6 months without a paycheck and/or cover various emergency expenditures.  We are not richie in absolute terms, but we are not really suffering in any kind of meaningful way.  We are feeling relatively happy about our ability to support ourselves with a kind of peace of mind.

When we get introduced to bitcoin, we feel relatively positive about the ideas behind bitcoin, and we want to act in some kind of way to support bitcoin, just in case something might positive happen with bitcoin in the future.  We do not really feel that we have any kind of large amount that we could lump sum invest into bitcoin, but we do feel that we could scrounge up $10 per week on a regular basis and invest that $10 per week into bitcoin without really missing it.

So, after 7 years of $10 per week, we have invested about $3,660 into bitcoin, and that 7 years of relative modest investing into BTC has given us way more options (of a $51K pool of funds to draw from) rather than what we would have been able to achieve through regular gold or stock investments that would have merely just held their value, relative to inflation and not really gotten us much, even though in nominal terms they would have been at about $5,550 and $5,000 respectively.    See DCA BTC link for such current reference to such investment scenario.

So largely, I am conceding.  There are ways that someone in a situation like yours could have not quite reached "fuck you" status when entering into bitcoin and may not even have quite reached a pure objective "fuck you" status, but bitcoin providing quite a few more options, especially after 7 years-ish of mere modest investing and sticking-withit-ness.
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2020, 04:33:13 PM
Merited by philipma1957 (2), JayJuanGee (1), infofront (1), AlcoHoDL (1)

My master is satoshi: keep your OPSEC clean, behave, do not do harm and, eventually, disappear. There is an old saying: If you want to hide the treasure, put it in plain sight. Then no one will see it.

I would like to point out that you missed the fact I do not thank Satoshi for profit from bitcoin but for providing the tools of freedom we need to be free of governmental oppression.

I really think you and others all too often miss this all important point, Money that can be seized is worthless.
El duderino_
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 11969

BTC + Crossfit, living life.

View Profile
October 04, 2020, 04:40:19 PM
Merited by infofront (1)

https://bitcoinmaximalist.net/jeff-booth-its-highly-likely-bitcoin-will-become-the-reserve-currency/

philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 7742

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2020, 04:40:51 PM

I would like to point out that you missed the fact I do not thank Satoshi for profit from bitcoin but for providing the tools of freedom we need to be free of governmental oppression.

I really think you and others all too often miss this all important point, Money that can be seized is worthless.

This is a really good point. Thanks for writing it.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2020, 04:44:25 PM

Wall Observer picture game begins now.

AlcoHoDL
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 4129

Addicted to HoDLing!

View Profile
October 04, 2020, 04:53:54 PM
Last edit: October 04, 2020, 05:07:26 PM by AlcoHoDL
Merited by JayJuanGee (2), Karartma1 (2), infofront (1), 600watt (1)

[edited out]

Karartma1, I don't think you need to abandon ship. Let's wait and see how this plays out. It's all good to have total freedom to do whatever we want, but do you remember how Elwar's seastead ended up? We've got to tread carefully, or my statement "we'll end up filthy rich, but unable to enjoy our riches" may come true.

For sure, if we are feeling overexposed to bitcoin, maybe we cut back on our allocation a bit.

But, even with various negative news like this, it remains difficult to figure out where to better put your money, and even if there might be some justifications, based on recent news, how to better allocate.

Of course, each person has to decide for themselves the extent to which they might be over-allocated in bitcoin, and also if s/he might become a target of governmental actions and/or overreach based on his/her own situation - whether that is being accused of  some conduct that s/he did not consider to be against the law.. but sometimes safety measures may well need to be taken in regards to where to hold stash and how much of the private keys are kept off line.  I personally find it can be quite difficult to attempt to sell BTC directly, especially if we start to get to very large numbers, in the future, so in that regard, it is likely better to have some arrangements with traditional institutions to be able to have avenues to liquidate portions of your BTC stash from time to time and also reporting on taxes, consulting with attorneys and accountants and things like that could be helpful too.  

If any of us are pulling out anything approaching fuck you status levels, whether that is a million or more or even in the territory of $6million or more, then we may well need to have some of those liquidation relationships because it could be much more difficult to operate peer to peer with those kinds of quantities, and then might we be interacting in circles that might end up causing questions to our own actions, too - even if we personally believe that we are trying to stay above board with every one of our actions.

I seriously worry about being able to "cash out" when "fuck you" rich. I fear that, by that time, all the cameras, guns, machetes, rusty pipes and what have you, will be pointing at us HoDLers, even going so far as to label us criminals, DPR v.2 (or is it v.3?), or some other "guilty-until-proven-innocent" accusation. It all depends on how "accepted" Bitcoin will be at that point. And, as you know, timescales in Bitcoin time are very short, meaning that we'll know quite soon. It's all good to imagine an ideal world where TPTB have accepted and even endorsed Bitcoin, but I don't think this will be an easy battle. We may win, but there will be blood.

Of course this "cashing out" may not even be necessary, if things play out in Bitcoin's favour, and BTC (or satoshi, or whatever fraction of a satoshi results from a 2nd layer solution, should 1 BTC > $1M) ends up being usable in buying everyday goods and services. This would be an ideal situation, in which BTC's intrinsic value stays in the BTC realm and we directly use it to survive (food, shelter, Lambos, hookers, blow, the usual necessities). But, somehow, I don't think it will be that easy. Not when the establishment sees their power taken away. They won't surrender without a fight.

My advice is to be prepared for any possible outcome. Personally, I'm more exposed to BTC than I am to more traditional investments, but I can surely survive (and ever enjoy the occasional little pleasures—but nowhere near "fuck you" rich status) without touching my BTC. I just follow the "invest what you can afford to lose" motto, while at the same time supporting and firmly believing that Bitcoin will succeed.

In short, as Bitcoin's value is rising, my feelings are bittersweet. Sweeter than bitter, of course, but there's always that aftertaste you get when chewing a dirty piece of paper...

Ok.  I watched that clip.

How come when they left, they did not take the briefcase with them?

Am I missing something?  By the way, I had never seen the whole movie, so surely I must be missing something about the meaning of that briefcase.

Also, why was the one cowering black kid spared?  Travolta's character goes up to him in the end of the clip, and he asked why they were not told about the guy with the BIG gun who was hiding in the bathroom, and the kid does not answer - yet he was spared.

The briefcase is an enigmatic element of the movie, that is open to interpretation. I won't give you mine, since you haven't watched it yet. But you should. I'm a big fan of Quentin Tarantino, so my opinion is surely biased, but I do consider it one of the greatest movies of all time. The first time I watched it was with my (then) girlfriend, back in 1994. She hated it, and we even had a somewhat heated discussion about it. Could it be more appealing to guys than girls?

As for the kid being spared, my guess is that it's Samuel Jackson's way of thanking God for His "divine intervention" which saved their lives.

BTW, the scene whose YouTube clip I linked to, is not a continuous scene. In the actual movie, it's split and its parts are shown at different times. The YouTube poster has joined them together in one continuous clip.

Another thing that will probably be irrelevant to most, is that Tarantino is a hardcore film fan, and insists on shooting his films on real film (no digital cameras involved). A true cinema lover, in its original media, with all its quirks that give true movies that special appeal.

Edit: Corrected typo.
Karartma1
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422

View Profile
October 04, 2020, 04:56:39 PM
Merited by Hueristic (1)

I guess the important thing is you got what I meant there. You probably missed some of my previous posts (maybe you didn't care, which is fine). I am here for freedom too, not for the money (which one day might be a side effect).
I am taking notes, in the last two days I got so many insights from some of you madhatters. Smiley
El duderino_
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2020, 04:57:43 PM

Is it bitcoin?
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10134

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
October 04, 2020, 05:04:11 PM
Merited by Hueristic (1)

Another fair and valid point.

I do believe that the mere fact that some of us are not talking about that particular angle does not mean that we are neither aware of that point or appreciate the impact of such point.
rdbase
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1499

Join the world-leading crypto sportsbook NOW!

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2020, 05:05:07 PM

Is it bitcoin?

Its a past picture posted on the wall observer from the guessing game days.

My guess is: The bitcoin girl with the same symbol on her white onesie. Cool
OutOfMemory
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 2965

Man who stares at charts

View Profile
October 04, 2020, 05:33:30 PM

when sunday was here
i was thinking of haikus
like naturally.

so what will i write
on the board of observers?
let life choose the words?

let's come to an end
now read my contribution
in the next three lines:

watch out, observers!
the market seems to be sick.
vaccine: hodl bitcoin.

Grin
infofront (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 2780

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
October 04, 2020, 05:37:21 PM
Merited by El duderino_ (3)

Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 5039

View Profile
October 04, 2020, 05:41:07 PM
Merited by Hueristic (1)

Asking for a friend.

So you believe the only reason to be here is to achieve a goal and then leave?

I feel sorry for anyone in that catagory.

I was joking of course, because otherwise I would have been out of here long ago.  Wink

But clearly that has been the only goal of so many judging from how many posters have dropped off over the years. Sad really.
El duderino_
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2020, 06:04:38 PM
Merited by LFC_Bitcoin (2), JayJuanGee (1)

Bitcoin use increases in Egypt as the country deals with an economic recession and surging unemployment
https://twitter.com/Cointelegraph/status/1312814248548941825?s=20

bitebits
Legendary

Activity: 2206
Merit: 3166

Flippin' burgers since 1163.

View Profile
October 04, 2020, 06:06:55 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

OUR GREAT USA WANTS & NEEDS STIMULUS. WORK TOGETHER AND GET IT DONE. Thank you!
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1312449034154504192

Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2020, 06:10:01 PM
Last edit: October 05, 2020, 02:20:00 PM by Hueristic

Another fair and valid point.

I do believe that the mere fact that some of us are not talking about that particular angle does not mean that we are neither aware of that point or appreciate the impact of such point.

IOU +sm

I was joking of course, because otherwise I would have been out of here long ago.  Wink

But clearly that has been the only goal of so many judging from how many posters have dropped off over the years. Sad really.

U2 Smiley
Last of the V8s
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 4392

Be a bank

View Profile
October 04, 2020, 06:25:04 PM
Last edit: October 04, 2020, 06:36:24 PM by Last of the V8s

Looks like a btc logo on a mast or tower ...
... on your new seastead Elwar?

anyway spit it out man. did you not show at Parallelni Polis? or link plox?

edit oh excuse me sea-pod
'oceans first, Mars next' huh
Pages: « 1 ... 27148 27149 27150 27151 27152 27153 27154 27155 27156 27157 27158 27159 27160 27161 27162 27163 27164 27165 27166 27167 27168 27169 27170 27171 27172 27173 27174 27175 27176 27177 27178 27179 27180 27181 27182 27183 27184 27185 27186 27187 27188 27189 27190 27191 27192 27193 27194 27195 27196 27197 [27198] 27199 27200 27201 27202 27203 27204 27205 27206 27207 27208 27209 27210 27211 27212 27213 27214 27215 27216 27217 27218 27219 27220 27221 27222 27223 27224 27225 27226 27227 27228 27229 27230 27231 27232 27233 27234 27235 27236 27237 27238 27239 27240 27241 27242 27243 27244 27245 27246 27247 27248 ... 33285 »
  Print  

Jump to: