April 16, 2024, 06:26:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 42 (70%)
<$60,000 - 18 (30%)
Total Voters: 60

Pages: « 1 ... 27485 27486 27487 27488 27489 27490 27491 27492 27493 27494 27495 27496 27497 27498 27499 27500 27501 27502 27503 27504 27505 27506 27507 27508 27509 27510 27511 27512 27513 27514 27515 27516 27517 27518 27519 27520 27521 27522 27523 27524 27525 27526 27527 27528 27529 27530 27531 27532 27533 27534 [27535] 27536 27537 27538 27539 27540 27541 27542 27543 27544 27545 27546 27547 27548 27549 27550 27551 27552 27553 27554 27555 27556 27557 27558 27559 27560 27561 27562 27563 27564 27565 27566 27567 27568 27569 27570 27571 27572 27573 27574 27575 27576 27577 27578 27579 27580 27581 27582 27583 27584 27585 ... 33268 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26355895 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3724
Merit: 3836

View Profile
December 04, 2020, 06:24:55 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

There is one problem: mining. Satoshi Nakamoto (whoever he was) once said (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=57.msg415#msg415) that "the price of any commodity tends to gravitate toward the production cost" and "in later years, when new coin generation is a small percentage of the existing supply, market price will dictate the cost of production more than the other way around". I agree. Later years are still very far away. Widespread institutional adoption may shift the balance, but without it the price will gravitate toward the mining cost, that is low tens of thousands, for years to come.

I don't think that you understanding this thesis correctly.
We are at approximately 10x hashing since Dec 2017 while the price is roughly the SAME. Phil posted about this numerous times.
Miner's efficiently increased only about 2X, maybe even less during the same time frame.
Even now, mining is not very profitable at lower electricity cost.
The rise in hashing power is inescapable since miners production is mostly sold out until next summer.
After we are at $100-200K, then, maybe we can talk about slower growth.
The cost of miners themselves have to be amortized as well, but it is obvious.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 10128

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
December 04, 2020, 06:31:25 PM
Merited by JSRAW (1)

Yes... perhaps you do not NOT know nuttin.

But still... something seems to be off by your perspective, including if you thought that there were boring periods in BTC's life.

I don't really know about 2011 through personal experience, but I was watching the bitcoin space since late 2013, and surely, I found it quite interesting, even between late 2013 and 2016..  I mean if you really think about bitcoin, it is a paradigm shifting invention.. that is quite amazing every 10 minutes that it pumps out another block, and ongoingly there have been new businesses coming and going in bitcoin and some of them successfully evolving, too..  so I am having some difficulties relating to your finding bitcoin to be boring perspective.

Certainly it is an interesting technological invention, potentially capable of replacing gold (at least partially) as reserve and investment.

Ok.  Fair enough.  You might be coming around to recognizing some of bitcoin's use case.. but you do not necessarily see bitcoin as being superior to gold - which it likely is... but hey, that seems to be a difference of degree rather than kind.  So reasonable peeps could differ in their perspective.

One of the advantages that you have, that regular normies do not have is that you have already recognized bitcoin for several years, so you probably have decent ideas about how to put 1% to 10% of your portfolio into bitcoin and you do not even have to believe in bitcoin at all in order to take such measures to hedge.

Normies likely have no fucking clue what bitcoin is, and if they do they have not figured out how to get some reasonable stake in the ballpark of 1% to 10%... so you are way the hell ahead of normies, even if you seem to have a overly bearish and seemingly unreasonable perspective (even after being informed of bitcoin).. but hey, that's your choice, in the end... I give little shits about if you invest in bitcoin at all, even if it is quite likely in your best interest to do so.

A bit too late, although.

You mean that bitcoin has already had its run up?  That's why it is "too late"?

Gawd!!!! my eyes are almost rolling out of the back of my head, if you really believe that's where bitcoin is at in its life or its current price cycle or however you might currently characterize where we are at, at this point in time.

Until 2017 I thought it would remain an insignificant curiosity, but since then I am sure it is going to stay for decades. But, it does not mean that bitcoin can make another 10x increase.

Well, I am glad that you came around, somewhat.

There were quite a few convincing occurances in 2017 that provided a lot of evidence for the bull case for bitcoin - even if they might not have been 100%... but hardly anything is 100% when we are attempting to figure out things that might happen in the future (death and taxes come to mind).

Regarding the "no more 10xs"  what are we using as our reference point?  Current price in order to attempt to advantage you in your prognosis?

I personally like to attempt to figure out our jumping off points.., which likely would be around $4k in this cycle...  but whatever, I understand that there may well be various reasonable ways to calculate where bitcoin might be going, including price tops.. if you attempt to project the next price top, then it could be relevant to go from the previous price top.

I just do not believe those price tops to be good reference points unless you are trying to tell some kind of nonsense story (spin the matter) about the erratic nature of bitcoin, and if you want to consider bitcoin as erratic and send that message, then you are likely doing a disservice to both yourself and to your intended audience.

Getting off my "tops" soap box, I still believe that even if we reference $20k as our BTC price starting point, it remains quite reasonable that BTC may well have a few more 10x increases from this price point, it can just be a question of time regarding how long that it takes for several 10x increase to actually play out.. but it still seems a bit crazy to be basing your own investment choices upon whether or not such 10x price increases are going to actually happen.

Investors should not need anything near 10x price increases in order to profit stupendously from bitcoin relative to other possible investment choices.

So sure, maybe you end up being correct, and bitcoin never reaches $200k, ever.. but so fucking what?  For any particular person attempting to decide what to do with his/her own finances or finances that s/he has under his/her control is to figure out what to do from here.  Seems like buying in remains a prudent approach, especially if starting from a position of NOT having BTC.  Now, on the other hand, if such person already has BTC then there is going to be variations on the questions regarding whether s/he has enough or should buy more or should shave some BTC off of the holdings along the way UPpity (or wherever this pig might be going from here).

Part of my point is not just $20k by itself, but how the BTC price got to nearly $20k from around $10k in early September.

BTC prices pretty much doubled and broke through at least three resistance points in the $12,500 arena, $13,880 and $17,250, and you seem to want to focus upon the fact that it did not quite make it above some kind of symbolic (or maybe self-selected point) of $20k, when it just got into the region in the past week or so?  You are either disingenuous or a troll to be focusing on such nonsense and trying to make some kind of supposedly meaningful bearish point out of it.

Breaking through anything below $20k is nothing new, we have seen it before.

We are not merely talking about breaking above $20k, you diptwat.

Have you seen the latest postings in this weighted average price thread?

We have hoverings in the top of the BTC weighted average price for the past few months, and the past week there has been a lot of towards the top, including the actual top yesterday.

Furthermore there is market cap, and of course, lots of coins coming off of exchanges.. causing a shortage of coins.

Anyhow, ongoing bullish dynamics in the short term... even though you consider it "no big deal" which probably goes back to either you did not buy enough BTC or you sold way too many BTC too soon because you have been failing and refusing to appreciate and recognize the bullish case for bitcoin, which seems to be unravelling right in front of our eyes whether you want to acknowledge it or not.. or continue to poo poo it, and hope that maybe you might be correct in your ongoing lack of appreciation of what are likely both BTC fundamentals and capturings within the various BTC price prediction models (Stock to flow, four year fractal and exponential s-curve adoption based on metcalfe principles and networking effects).

It is somewhat amusing that here "bearish" means "not expecting huge increase".

You can call it whatever you like... and be amused however you like.

I am bullish in the long run,

Good for you.  Hopefully, you did not sell too many too soon or fail/refuse to stock up enough.

the difference is that in my case "bullish" may mean average price doubling every four years (shorter term fluctuations are definitely going to be stronger).

In terms of my own personal investment into BTC, I don't even expect that great of a rise... I have only recently increased from 6% per year average to 10% per year average, but that still does not mean that I try to downplay the facts and logic of the ongoing UPside happenings and upside potential that seem to be following the most current BTC price prediction models quite closely - (almost like a fit glove.. whoaza!!!  and maybe even better than a fit glove - double whoazza!!!).

Regarding your hypothesizing of how short term fluctuations are going to get stronger, you seem to be largely talking out of your ass.

Of course, there are going to be great price battles in BTC from time to time, and BIGGER players are going to be chiming into such likely battles, but that does not necessarily result in greater movements in the BTC price - when we are talking about percentages rather than dollar values.  Of course, when the dollar values increase then the dollar value movements increase, but price movements still are likely going to become less volatile with greater market cap rather than the opposite.. so you are actually speaking against logic... which should not surprise me.. you are arguing a lot of illogical matters with your ongoing self-serving selections of which facts that you would like to emphasize in making your ongoing quasi-nonsensical arguments.

Yes.. even you are admitting that the possibility is slight.

And, we should acknowledge that anything is possible, but I don't arrange my financial life around the slight possibilities.. I arrange my life around more likely possibilities..

Hopefully, you are doing the same.. though you seem to be having trouble recognizing where we are at, exactly... in regards to bitcoinlandia.. and appreciating where we are at.. and perhaps your lack of appreciation has to do with your failure/refusal to either stack enough coins or selling too many coins too soon.

I did not sell a single satoshi from my main stash, cold storage since late 2017. However, I do not expect 10x gains anymore.

Good for you.  Attempting to appear that you are being realistic... but still it seems likely that you are underinvested... otherwise why would you be spouting out such ongoing nonsense.  Something does not quite add up here, Alex.

Bitcoin does not need widespread institutional adoption to go above $50k.. but widespread institutional adoption may well bring BTC prices above $1million by the end of 2025-ish... 2024 is 4 years from now.. you should be looking at the end of 2021 and the end of 2025.. don't you know nuttin?

There is one problem: mining. Satoshi Nakamoto (whoever he was) once said (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=57.msg415#msg415) that "the price of any commodity tends to gravitate toward the production cost" and "in later years, when new coin generation is a small percentage of the existing supply, market price will dictate the cost of production more than the other way around". I agree. Later years are still very far away. Widespread institutional adoption may shift the balance, but without it the price will gravitate toward the mining cost, that is low tens of thousands, for years to come.

You are making little to no sense here with your attempting to site satoshi in such a way that supports a theory that BTC price rises are going to be ongoingly stable or have limitations in their upside because mining costs are going to be drawing the BTC price back down to their costs (using current costs as your hypothetical gravitational point).

What fucking nonsense, Alex!!  Can you even appreciate the nonsense in your own proclamations or if you actually believe such bullshit that you seem to be espousing?

The satoshi post that you cite is from February 2010.  For the most part, BTC did not even have a price then, and sure, BTC started to develop a bit of a price in mid 2010, but probably BTC's price market was very immature for a few years after that satoshi post so even if we start with 2012 prices as a kind of starting off point for BTC prices, they have gone up thousands of times from 2012 to present, and has the cost of mining held BTC prices back?   fuck no.

Sure there is some back and forth dynamics and questioning does price direct mining costs are do mining cost directing price, and these are back and forth dynamics and ONLY part of the formula for where BTC prices are or where BTC prices might go.  The mining will adapt.  If the BTC prices are higher, then miners are going to come in, and if they are lower, miners are going to leave, so you are hardly proving any point by trying to suggest that mining costs might limit where the BTC price might go.. because both BTC price and mining costs are moving dynamics and they both vary and depend based on a whole hell of a lot of factors (including but not limited to be related to each other, too).
BitcoinGirl.Club
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 2710

Farewell LEO: o_e_l_e_o

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2020, 06:32:48 PM

Good evening WO!
Observing @ $19,000

Oh dear JJG 😋
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2020, 06:41:01 PM
Last edit: December 04, 2020, 06:55:52 PM by JayJuanGee

Hahah funny how some can change his bullish mind when he wants to buy more corn... So I hope for a deeeep weekend dump and then back bullish...

Hope ur lil selfie all that you like, UnDerDoG81.  

Odds are probably slightly less than 50/50 for what you want, but surely NOT impossible....  

I would not want to specify what I currently believe the odds to be before you might attempt to clarify your definition of "deeeep."  Something like $17,500 would be deeeep?  Or you need MOAR deeper?  or less deeper in order to be "satisfied"?

Good evening WO!
Observing @ $19,000

Oh dear JJG 😋

You did not write: "nohomo" you fuck!!!!!!   Angry Angry Angry Angry

By the way, BGC.... what issue you having with me?  What causes your proclamation of my name?  Did I say something to provoke?

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Edit

....I think we'll make another attempt at $20k this weekend, if we fail we are going to retest $16k or lower (don't see it going down to less than $15k though, we've had that as support since Nov 6th)

Looks like soullyG has answered your questions, right UnDerDoG81?

Technically speaking.

I am witnessing bad maths... perhaps even bad science.

Proudhon, can you confirm?
BitcoinGirl.Club
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2020, 07:12:55 PM

Good evening WO!
Observing @ $19,000

Oh dear JJG 😋

By the way, BGC.... what issue you having with me?  What causes your proclamation of my name?  Did I say something to provoke?
Your wall of text annoys me 😉
It was the reaction after seeing the post above my last post LOL
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2020, 07:21:25 PM

I've been contemplating somethig recently. We all expect that 2021 will be incredible for Bitcoin. May be the price will cross 50K, 100K, 200K, or even more. With that in mind, wouldn't it be better if I take an unpaid leave of absence from my work for 1 year and go to some exotic island with no internet and tv. My work spot will be reserved, so I have no worries for that. I could just put some sell orders between 50K and 500K and when I return, I will discover what happened. In this way, I will avoid the emotional decisions and selling too much too early.  Roll Eyes

That's an interesting idea because part of what any meaningful and prudent plan to sell some BTC on the way to the top would be to get real good grasps of what you would like to do before the BTC price movement actually happens, so in that regard, you should be striving to largely stick with your plan.

At the same time, I would not recommend taking away all discretion and converting your plan into a kind of Turing completeness.

I do understand the logical appeal to such an approach or something similar to that.

Good evening WO!
Observing @ $19,000

Oh dear JJG 😋

Your wall of text annoys me 😉
It was the reaction after seeing the post above my last post LOL

Hahahahahaaha

"annoy"  what a wonderful word choice, and your feeling that you needed to "express" such annoyance.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
BitcoinGirl.Club
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2020, 07:45:39 PM

Hahahahahaaha

"annoy"  what a wonderful word choice, and your feeling that you needed to "express" such annoyance.

I see a short post. I was expecting another wall of text from you on this 😜

Do you know Bossian already paid LFC LOL
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5296521.0

Surprise! Surprise for me.

Actually I had two surprise today. One is Bossian paid LFC and another one is rdbase pissed me off by deleting one of my post in his self moderated thread. I would not care if that was just another self moderated thread about the user only but that self moderated thread is something for a little community and I always considered a part of that community.
virasog
Legendary

Activity: 2954
Merit: 1159

View Profile
December 04, 2020, 07:47:58 PM
Merited by HI-TEC99 (1)

savetherainforest

Activity: 1848
Merit: 609

Plant 1xTree for each Satoshi earned!

View Profile
December 04, 2020, 08:16:05 PM

Good evening WO!
Observing @ $19,000

Oh dear JJG 😋

Welcome to the Jay Juan Megathread. Cheesy Cheesy ... #Magathread  Roll Eyes
AlcoHoDL
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 4104

Addicted to HoDLing!

View Profile
December 04, 2020, 08:26:27 PM

Wow, congrats to LFC for the easy win (was practically guaranteed to win), and also respect to Bossian, for being a man of his word and paying up. I may have said some harsh words to you, Bossian, but your action shows honesty and good character.

Lesson learnt: never bet against Bitcoin, or you'll be giving away your BTC to the smart guys!
BitcoinGirl.Club
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2020, 08:59:24 PM
Last edit: May 14, 2023, 04:45:19 PM by BitcoinGirl.Club

Wow, congrats to LFC for the easy win (was practically guaranteed to win), and also respect to Bossian, for being a man of his word and paying up. I may have said some harsh words to you, Bossian, but your action shows honesty and good character.

Lesson learnt: never bet against Bitcoin, or you'll be giving away your BTC to the smart guys!
I too was pissed on him and said some bad words LOL but at the end he turned out to be a genuine man.

How it's even possible LOL
serveria.com
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1172

Privacy Servers. Since 2009.

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2020, 09:04:50 PM

Hahahahahaaha

Actually I had two surprise today. One is Bossian paid LFC and another one is rdbase pissed me off by deleting one of my post in his self moderated thread. I would not care if that was just another self moderated thread about the user only but that self moderated thread is something for a little community and I always considered a part of that community.

Well that really is surprising to say the least. I'm taking back all my accusations and Bossian I admit you're a man of honour! Congrats LFC!  Cool
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2020, 10:08:06 PM

#bitcoin stock-to-flow cross asset model
-if BTC doesn't break it's historical path
-BTC market cap will approach gold market value $5-10T in 2021-2024
-and approach real estate market value $10-100T in 2024-2028
-after 2028 we can no longer interpolate and enter uncharted waters

https://twitter.com/100trillionUSD/status/1334834429177507844

1 trillion = $50,000 per coin.

$250,000 - $500,000 in 2021 - 2024.

$500,000 - $5,000,000 in 2024 - 2028.

Seems totally reasonable...

Except maybe NOT "totally"

Somehow the dates are wrong... so I am NOT sure what is going wrong with the dates.

We have a period that will be ending in 2021 or 2022... then the next periods would come after that

So either it goes like this

present to 2021  = $xx,xxx - $xxx,xxx

2022 to 2025  = $xxx,xxx - $x,xxx,xxx

2026 to 2029   = $x,xxx,xxx - $x,xxx,xxx

or like this...

present to 2022  = $xx,xxx - $xxx,xxx

2023 to 2026  = $xxx,xxx - $x,xxx,xxx

2027 to 2030   = $x,xxx,xxx - $x,xxx,xxx

Or would it be some other variation?

then what would be the numbers contained therein?

My point is that something is off.
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 2228

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
December 04, 2020, 10:09:41 PM

Think of the average American. 50% of them are dumber than that.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2020, 10:19:04 PM
Merited by BitcoinGirl.Club (1)

Hahahahahaaha

Don't pigeon-hole me, BCG.   Angry Angry Angry

Yep.  I was surprised, too.  I already changed the negative feedback that I had given to Bossian to neutral..

Definitely congrats to LFC to extracts some BTC from that dweeb.... Can you tell that I am still a bit bitter about that guy and the way he handled the whole matter, even though, in the end, he ended up paying up?

What was the post and the thread?  Almost anything goes here, if there is some relevance to something that is NOT pumping or shilling a shitcoin.

Link or it did not happen.

I recall that happening about 3 years ago... so is there some kind of new development or are you posting 3 year old newses, virasog?
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3528
Merit: 5033

View Profile
December 04, 2020, 10:28:44 PM

Plot twist: He used the $1M to buy actual Bitcoin.

P.S. Also ChuckECheeseCoin (CECC) should be thing.
Indymoney

Activity: 896
Merit: 236

View Profile
December 04, 2020, 10:37:25 PM

Some big movement happening around here

LFC_Bitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 3500
Merit: 9464

#1 VIP Crypto Casino

View Profile
December 04, 2020, 10:42:11 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

@sthenc
The enormous transfer of wealth from US Treasury bonds to Bitcoin will be one of the most virtuous and liberating events in human history.
https://twitter.com/sthenc/status/1334972899975786502?s=21

Michael Saylor is an absolute unit, he’s bought MOAR -

@michael_saylor

MicroStrategy has purchased approximately 2,574 bitcoins for $50.0 million in cash in accordance with its Treasury Reserve Policy, at an average price of approximately $19,427 per bitcoin. We now hold approximately 40,824 bitcoins.

https://twitter.com/michael_saylor/status/1334990791496884224?s=21
https://www.sec.gov/ix?doc=/Archives/edgar/data/1050446/000119312520310787/d22733d8k.htm
Toxic2040
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 4141

View Profile
December 04, 2020, 10:45:40 PM

#dyor

1h

4h

D

W

#stronghands
Arriemoller
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1767

Cлaвa Укpaїнi!

View Profile
December 04, 2020, 10:55:52 PM
Merited by xhomerx10 (1)

Think of the average American. 50% of them are dumber than that.

I don't really like this American bashing that is displayd every now and then, even by Americans themselves. I have lived in Colorado and the people I met were no dumber than the average Swede.
Pages: « 1 ... 27485 27486 27487 27488 27489 27490 27491 27492 27493 27494 27495 27496 27497 27498 27499 27500 27501 27502 27503 27504 27505 27506 27507 27508 27509 27510 27511 27512 27513 27514 27515 27516 27517 27518 27519 27520 27521 27522 27523 27524 27525 27526 27527 27528 27529 27530 27531 27532 27533 27534 [27535] 27536 27537 27538 27539 27540 27541 27542 27543 27544 27545 27546 27547 27548 27549 27550 27551 27552 27553 27554 27555 27556 27557 27558 27559 27560 27561 27562 27563 27564 27565 27566 27567 27568 27569 27570 27571 27572 27573 27574 27575 27576 27577 27578 27579 27580 27581 27582 27583 27584 27585 ... 33268 »
  Print  

Jump to: