April 19, 2024, 08:40:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 27508 27509 27510 27511 27512 27513 27514 27515 27516 27517 27518 27519 27520 27521 27522 27523 27524 27525 27526 27527 27528 27529 27530 27531 27532 27533 27534 27535 27536 27537 27538 27539 27540 27541 27542 27543 27544 27545 27546 27547 27548 27549 27550 27551 27552 27553 27554 27555 27556 27557 [27558] 27559 27560 27561 27562 27563 27564 27565 27566 27567 27568 27569 27570 27571 27572 27573 27574 27575 27576 27577 27578 27579 27580 27581 27582 27583 27584 27585 27586 27587 27588 27589 27590 27591 27592 27593 27594 27595 27596 27597 27598 27599 27600 27601 27602 27603 27604 27605 27606 27607 27608 ... 33278 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26364095 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
RejectedBanana

Activity: 406
Merit: 551

I am a banana.

View Profile
December 10, 2020, 03:24:36 PM
Merited by Phil_S (5), JayJuanGee (2), Biodom (1), Torque (1), infofront (1), Toxic2040 (1)

I think you need another hobby, Bobby. Maybe an outdoor one, far far away from screens and buttons.

I mean no disrespect, but I’ve always been somewhat perplexed by your trading activities.

I have the opposite problem from you. I avoid paying any more taxes than I have to, so I’ve actually never sold. Borrowed against, yes, but never sold. When I die, my heirs will assume my date of death cost basis. My charities can ignore any cost basis while I’m still alive. A charitable remainder trust or even Opportunity Zone investments (of which there are many in Texas; Dallas even) could help defer, minimize, or eliminate capital gains taxes. And there’s always Puerto Rico calling.

But still, I have never sold. Because I have faith that tomorrow’s price, at least historically, is more likely to be up than down, especially time-averaged. Sure, some years I have had to squint and extend my time averaging window by a LOT. But hey, patience has paid off so far, although I’ve only really been playing this game since triple digit days.

You could have avoided paying NIIT by selling less, way less, while still enjoying a respectable income. You could have taken out loans against your corn and watched those loans shrink to relative dust as the price of corn inexorably marches on.

The ironic part is that as an Obama-bashing, psilocybin tripping, gun-toting, supposedly black ultra-conservative, you have paid more to the good ol’ US of A government coffers in taxes than most people have even dreamed of investing in corn. Myself, an unapologetic progressive ugly libtard clean to the bone, is pulling every (legal) trick in the book to hang on to every damn sat I can. Even dying if I have to.

I’ve even risked earning about 20% of my stash in interest over the years, the ultimate form of DCA. Not your keys, not your Bitcoin yeah yeah yeah, but crikey people, we’re already full-throttled on speculative risk, what’s a little custodial risk while we’re at it? I’ve never gone all in and randomly execute full balance withdrawals just so they never get too used to mine being theirs. Back in the day, some semi-respectable bearers doled out upwards of 15%! That’s still a decent 7.5% if you only went half in. Besides the irksome risk of total loss, the shittiest part of earning interest is admittedly the fecking taxes, but this is small price to pay for continuing to grow your corn, especially in down years. Plus the interest I’ve earned has been more than enough to compensate for the interest I owe on my corn-collateralized loans. While the time averaged price of Bitcoin marches on to the beat.

I see you sleeplessly beating yourself up for selling low and buying higher. Maybe stop selling so much? Do you really have that much more faith in your conventional investments than corn? Do you really need that much more stinky fiat?

Maybe you are just addicted to buying? Maybe you sell just to have the means to buy again? Even with 23.8% taxes, even with massive stimuli and inflation and government spending, you still sell into fiat, only to buy back less corn at higher prices at 4 in the morning? Why, Bob, why? Why did you sell so damn much in the first place? What are all these alluring... reasons?

Have you somehow secretly lost faith, or perhaps never really trusted in the future of corn? Do Elon Musk and Warren Buffett whisper sweetly in your ear, “Buy TSLA, buy BRKA, give US your dirty fiat!”
Maybe that sweet, sweet baby-faced Elon promises a better moonshot for you?  Wink

Or maybe you just love the smell of burnt popcorn and fiat in the morning?

Or maybe, just maybe, there are just better hobbies out there for you, Bob? You’ve already won this game. Don’t just go back to bed, wake up and go win at another game. Buy a vineyard or something. I did. Without selling a single fracking sat.
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BobLawblaw
Legendary

Activity: 1822
Merit: 5551

Neighborhood Shenanigans Dispenser

View Profile
December 10, 2020, 03:32:34 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1), d_eddie (1), OutOfMemory (1), RejectedBanana (1)

Or maybe, just maybe, there are just better hobbies out there for you, Bob? You’ve already won this game. Don’t just go back to bed, wake up and go win at another game. Buy a vineyard or something. I did. Without selling a single fracking sat.

Maybe, just maybe, I'm living life on my terms, having a blast, and know that I hold more BTC in reserve than I could reasonably spend in my lifetime.

I'm not wired to dump more BTC than I need to attain specific goals.

It turns out I oversold a bit this last round, and am now going slightly insane with part of the unallocated windfall.

Also, I'm not wired to try to game the tax system. I don't like creating more work for myself (jumping through hoops in avoidance of paying tax). If dumping BTC at levels I'm comfortable with, and paying Uncle Sam their 23.8% of flesh is the cost, so be it. I have lots of flesh.

Sue me.
bitcoinPsycho
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 2048

$120000 in 2024 Confirmed

View Profile
December 10, 2020, 03:34:09 PM

Maybe, just maybe, I'm living life on my terms, having a blast, and know that I hold more BTC in reserve than I could reasonably spend in my lifetime.

It turns out I oversold a bit this last round, and am now going slightly insane with part of the unallocated windfall.

Sue me.
Its clearly a lifestyle habit hard to stop
friends1980
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1059

nutildah-III / NFT2021-04-01

View Profile
December 10, 2020, 03:45:10 PM
Merited by d_eddie (1)

Also, I'm not wired to try to game the tax system. I don't like creating more work for myself (jumping through hoops in avoidance of paying tax). If dumping BTC at levels I'm comfortable with, and paying Uncle Sam their 23.8% of flesh is the cost, so be it. I have lots of flesh.

Sue me.

You're this community's breathing barometer. Cool

Die Nibelungen (might wake up nullius) aren't over till the fat lady sings, and the crypto dip ain't over till Bob sleeps.

Now that's what I call FA.
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
December 10, 2020, 04:09:19 PM

I was just taking exception to your saying that the "price can not go over 20k for months". It most certainly can and probably will.

Yes I saw it now. That sentence was not really what I wanted to say.  Roll Eyes

I think it is also likely we will have the smallest correction as measure in %.

Yes, because Bitcoin is less and less volatile. Less % of growth compared to old ATH and less correction after ATH happens.   
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3505

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
December 10, 2020, 04:10:12 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1), BobLawblaw (1)

Scooped another $500 of dip $18,050.

Somebody stop me !

cant; i do that myself - even if ive sold lower previously. as long as the maths and science works out in the current situation..

its like become part of me: btfd is ingrained into my dna now. i can feel the mutation growing

EVERYONE save yourselves  im a goner

BTFD
i said: BTFD
cuz maths and science

#hakia
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 5039

View Profile
December 10, 2020, 04:11:34 PM

Fantastic interview with Raoul Pal (by George Gammon) about Bitcoin and the future. Lots to digest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUAjq4h663M
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
December 10, 2020, 04:21:25 PM

I love it when HOLDlers are becoming restless during a good price dip. It's a good sign  Grin
Toxic2040
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 4141

View Profile
December 10, 2020, 04:21:45 PM

Sue me.

I merited this post because I felt it well written and reasonably thought out, not necessarily that I am in agreement. Just wanted you to know that Bawb.

Maybe, just maybe, I'm living life on my terms..

+1 WOsMerit

I applaud your degeneracy and have to say I am pretty happy your not angry anymore.    Cool

------

good morning all

some charts

#dyor

bat flutters against the ceiling
1h

kitteh hisses in mid flight
4h

#stronghands

JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 3990
Merit: 4421

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
December 10, 2020, 04:37:01 PM

I'm living life on my terms, having a blast

Hopefully you were long before Bitcoin.

Bitcoin just makes it easier.
RejectedBanana

Activity: 406
Merit: 551

I am a banana.

View Profile
December 10, 2020, 04:48:51 PM

Sue me.

Time is the currency of wealth, my friend. Our days only grow shorter. Spend them wisely.

And sleep.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10130

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
December 10, 2020, 05:04:01 PM

Just scooped another $500 worth of dip.

Absolutely degenerate.

Pretty soon, Bawb is going to be completely bought back in, and the $16,250 selling event will have become a wash (in terms of dollars)... but just have 5% to 25% fewer bitcoins...  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

How high will BTC go when ETH screws up again and all those BTC on eth are lost/burnt exit scammed?

FTFY

By the way, Bitcoin does not need it's supply to be additionally restricted by loss or burning in order to be able to pump upon various shenanigans taking place in shitcoinlandery... Not that we should be watching the shitcoin space, but there are some relations to that nonsense on the BTC price - in terms of a tail, not a dog  (yeah, I know I am repeating myself.. but it be worth it).  Wink

Hey guys im not active here so i dont remember any names really but wasnt there some guy who was ultra bearish almost every day here? What happened to him? Is he still around? I remember at like around 10k he was telling everyone to short for financial freedom or something

Those kinds of nonsense and persistent bear postings happen all the time.. and even sometimes they might appear to be correct for quite a while, until they are NOT correct no more and at some point turn out to be obviously the opposite of correct.  Why are you asking, jonoiv?  Why don't you just post your question from your original reckt account?
Millionero

Activity: 807
Merit: 423

View Profile
December 10, 2020, 05:23:38 PM

I have lots of flesh.

You can say that again.

virasog
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1159

View Profile
December 10, 2020, 05:59:50 PM
Merited by BobLawblaw (1)

I love it when HOLDlers are becoming restless during a good price dip. It's a good sign  Grin

bitserve
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1464

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
December 10, 2020, 06:00:45 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

I got an email from my bank. "We tried to phone you to clear some issues with a wire you made in the past days, but we didn't manage to talk to you." Of course. I had it switched off. So I called back, but the line mysteriously dropped after the person on the other end said "let me check this... wait a minute...". Twice.

I already had a hunch what it was about, but of course I thought I'd play dumb to extract as much info as possible. An hour later, I tried calling for the third time. At last, I get through to someone who can actually explain.

The problem was with a wire I made to Kraken. Not a big amount by any means - something in the ballpark of Bob's recent addiction buys*  Grin

Bank - "We just want to make sure you actually ordered the wire."

Me - "Why? I make dozens of wires, it's the first time..." (Actually not the first: they called once upon a time when I moved most of my fiat to another bank because they pissed me off - but that was to beg: please don't please don't.)

Bank - "I don't know, it's like an automatic system flag... well, it's to some kraken.com."

Me - (Aha!) "I see. So what's the issue?"

Bank - "No issue, sir. We just want to make sure it was actually you who wired the money."

Me - "I did. But now I'm worrying. Is this a scam site or something?"

Bank - "It is some cryptocurrency site, I think... but as I said, it's just an automatic flag. Nothing to worry about, sir."

Me - "What if Kraken sends some funds to me? Will the transfer get a flag too? Will the incoming wire be blocked?" (Slightly implying - should I close my business with you altogether?)

Bank - "Oh no, sir. Incoming transfers are never stopped. There might be some formal issue with outgoing transfers once in a while, but never the other way round."

Me - "I am afraid. I don't want any problems, you see."

Bank - "Just an automatic flag, sir. Thank you."

Things are stirring up, gents. Brace yourselves.

Maybe you are reading too much into it. Banks have alert triggerings of all sorts. Ie:

- Amounts significantly over the usual for your profile.
- Abnormaly high number of tx's.
- Origin/destination to flagged accounts (ie: Accounts completely blacklisted, suspicious accounts, Bitcoin exchanges?).
- Tx's to/from other countries (this one is the main one when it is not clearly justified considering your informed profile).
- etc etc....

And combinations of the above.

Depending on the alert triggered it may involve a lock of account, a request of confirmation, and/or a request for additional information.

There are several reasons why banks NEED to do this:

1- To protect themselves from huge fines for not supervising money flow in accordance to KYC/AML and other regulations they are subject to.
2- To protect clients from having their funds extracted by hackers, etc...
3- To know what their clients are doing to detect trends and business opportunities.

etc....

The staff you talked to probably don't know what was exactly what triggered your alert, they just follow procedure (just confirmation in this case) even if they may have some idea based on their previous experience from similar "events".

What do you think would most probably apply in your case for having triggered a confirmation alert?
BobLawblaw
Legendary

Activity: 1822
Merit: 5551

Neighborhood Shenanigans Dispenser

View Profile
December 10, 2020, 06:27:20 PM

Hopefully you were long before Bitcoin.
Bitcoin just makes it easier.

Well, I was mostly having a blast as a wage slave, but being free of it all, is some next level shit. It's kinda nice to not give a fuck and worry about saying the wrong thing, in the current socio-political climate, and risk the chance of losing your job, or being "cancelled", as all the cool people are calling it.

I'm above all that now.

I can't recommend early retirement enough.

All things considered, I'm way more busy in retirement than I ever was as a wage slave. It's annoying, actually. Too many things in motion at once Smiley

#blessed
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
December 10, 2020, 06:37:59 PM

What do you think would most probably apply in your case for having triggered a confirmation alert?

It's just automatic because of kraken.com.
OutOfMemory
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 2964

Man who stares at charts

View Profile
December 10, 2020, 06:39:47 PM
Merited by BobLawblaw (1)

Maybe, just maybe, I'm living life on my terms..

+1 WOsMerit

I applaud your degeneracy and have to say I am pretty happy your not angry anymore.    Cool

It was kind of painful for me to read angry bob's posts.
We knew there were reasons, but getting angry too long just turns against one self in the long term.
Happy you could escape, B  Grin
bitserve
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1464

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
December 10, 2020, 06:44:36 PM

It's just automatic because of kraken.com.

Even if that were the only reason I would think it is reasonable to trigger a confirmation alert considering it is both an international tx and a crypto exchange (could be used to extract funds in an identity theft staged attack).

I would certainly be worried if it would trigger an automatic lock of account just for that reason alone which, OTH is something that they certainly SHOULD do in some exceptional cases ie: profile of a 80+ old retired woman that never previously did anything other than receive her pension, pay some utility bills and extract a bit of cash money monthly... and all of a sudden decides to transfer most of her balance to kraken.com. -> Lock, ask for confirmation and additional information and unlock if everything is good.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
December 10, 2020, 06:53:36 PM

... know that I hold more BTC in reserve than I could reasonably spend in my lifetime.

You could simplify it a bit by setting a fixed (in fiat) amount of extra money to spend, or not spend. If you really want to unreasonably spend everything in your lifetime, you will need either an estimate of how much time you have left or fudge it a bit more, then divide your corns by that number of years, and you have a maximum number or ceiling to liquidate.

A nice number to assume would be 30. Since , as you know, plenty of sources say 25x of your annual expenses and in theory you should be able to live on 4% of that for the rest of your life.

So, if you have say, 300 corns, then divide that by 30, that means you can probably spend 10 corns every year, and you'll be unreasonably spending everything until it runs out. It will take 30 years to deplete, and as the price fluctuates, goes up, or goes down, probably going up for the next 30 years, you'll end up with more fiat than you know what to do with.

Imagine being "forced" to spend 1 corn a month for the next 30 years.

If you're still alive in 30 years, you'll either run out of corn but have a lot of fiat, OR you didn't spend all your corn and can keep drawing on it.

If you're not already a billionaire, do not get a private jet. You will need more than the price of the plane to pay for it, maintenance, expenses, a full tank of fuel everytime you fly, salary for your pilot, all sorts of paperwork. I think flying first class or even business class, when you do need to travel, is quite okay with a lot of people already.
Pages: « 1 ... 27508 27509 27510 27511 27512 27513 27514 27515 27516 27517 27518 27519 27520 27521 27522 27523 27524 27525 27526 27527 27528 27529 27530 27531 27532 27533 27534 27535 27536 27537 27538 27539 27540 27541 27542 27543 27544 27545 27546 27547 27548 27549 27550 27551 27552 27553 27554 27555 27556 27557 [27558] 27559 27560 27561 27562 27563 27564 27565 27566 27567 27568 27569 27570 27571 27572 27573 27574 27575 27576 27577 27578 27579 27580 27581 27582 27583 27584 27585 27586 27587 27588 27589 27590 27591 27592 27593 27594 27595 27596 27597 27598 27599 27600 27601 27602 27603 27604 27605 27606 27607 27608 ... 33278 »
  Print  

Jump to: