April 19, 2024, 08:09:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 30652 30653 30654 30655 30656 30657 30658 30659 30660 30661 30662 30663 30664 30665 30666 30667 30668 30669 30670 30671 30672 30673 30674 30675 30676 30677 30678 30679 30680 30681 30682 30683 30684 30685 30686 30687 30688 30689 30690 30691 30692 30693 30694 30695 30696 30697 30698 30699 30700 30701 [30702] 30703 30704 30705 30706 30707 30708 30709 30710 30711 30712 30713 30714 30715 30716 30717 30718 30719 30720 30721 30722 30723 30724 30725 30726 30727 30728 30729 30730 30731 30732 30733 30734 30735 30736 30737 30738 30739 30740 30741 30742 30743 30744 30745 30746 30747 30748 30749 30750 30751 30752 ... 33278 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26364085 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 7932

View Profile
June 03, 2022, 12:34:22 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1), salad daging (1)

A country of 1.4B+ bans bitcoin every a few years! What's another country of 300million going do...
When that starts to accumulate with more countries following then it becomes a problem. There is not anything we can do to stop these countries but it is not good news that these countries are banning btc unless you think that people will get sick of being suppressed and in retaliation they revolt by using btc
This illustration shows what happened to the country https://www.facebook.com/Phemex.official/videos/697310468231523/

Most of what they call "crypto" does actually belong in that garbage can imho.  No time to change it to "bitcoin" though.

The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1745

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
June 03, 2022, 01:01:21 PM

Explanation
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 5039

View Profile
June 03, 2022, 01:20:12 PM

OT Shower thought:

It just occurred to me this morning that the goldbugs and silverbugs would absolutely *kill* to have the Average Joe public FOMO into PMs every few years, and have the MSM constantly printing bull/bear articles about it.

Kill.

Poor PMs: The Rodney Dangerfield of hedge vehicles.
AlcoHoDL
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 4127

Addicted to HoDLing!

View Profile
June 03, 2022, 01:24:41 PM
Last edit: June 05, 2022, 04:28:31 PM by AlcoHoDL
Merited by vapourminer (2), JayJuanGee (1)

[...long-ish post...]

I like your response, and I do not disagree with what you're saying. It is a different viewpoint that I can accept.

Thanks for the civil, thoughtful discussion.

I think that we have a fundamental point of disagreement here:

We can debate endlessly about cause end effect, but the fact is that the Bitcoin network is essentially an energy storage container, and as such, it is subject to the Laws of Thermodynamics. Bitcoin cannot simply "become very valuable" and then be left to stay that way forever without an energy inflow, as if it is a Perpetual Motion Machine.

I don’t know whence this idea of Bitcoin as an “energy storage container” arose.  I have seen it here and there for years, of course; now, I see it everywhere; it even seems to be implied in that Cruz speech.  (I did say that I disagree with some parts of it.  I also understand that Senator Cruz has a growing constituency of miners; I hope that he does well to protect their right to mine Bitcoin, but it doesn’t make his argument correct on this particular point.)

Please think back to the first time you bought Bitcoin.  Why did you buy BTC?  Did you think to yourself, “I want a piece of this awesome energy storage container?”

I know that I didn’t.  I think that nobody did.

I infer that you may be trying to use the total-work measurement as some sort of “energy storage” measure.  If so, I can rebut that; but first, I think it is more productive to step back and examine Bitcoin’s value constructively.

The pivotal question:  Why is Bitcoin valuable?  Many people have many different reasons for buying Bitcoin; but beneath it all, it’s because Bitcoin is social money.  It is money that connects people, without the boundaries imposed by banks.  

I originally bought Bitcoin because it lets me transact with anyone, anywhere in the world, without asking anybody’s permission.  Note the necessary focus on people:  People to whom I want to connect financially, and people whose unjust control I wish to escape.

Traders are a big factor in the market.  Traders buy Bitcoin because they are trying to beat other traders; trading is, after all, a zero-sum game in which every gain has a matching loss.  Simple daytraders use astrology TA as a proxy for what they predict other traders—other people will do.  Sophisticated quants design robots to beat the robots of other quants (plus everybody else).  In the end, it is all about people—interacting with people financially—even in the negative sense of beating them and taking their money.

This examination of various motives for buying BTC could be elaborated at some length.  In every real-world scenario I can think of, it all comes down to Bitcoin’s superior ability to connect people financially.

Without deprecating other various facets of Bitcoin, ultimately, Bitcoin is people-money.  A superior tool for communicating monetary information with other people.

In some degree, that is the nature of money itself; and this discussion invokes the types of abstract questions about the nature of value which philosophers have discussed and debated for millennia.  But with Bitcoin, the people-money aspect is nearly total.  If I were alone in the world, then I would still like to have some gold coins:  They’re shiny, they’re pretty, they’re a pleasure to hold in my own hands.  But if I were alone in the world, a bitcoin would be worthless.

I can run a cryptographic-money program on my computer with exactly one user:  Me.  It is worthless without other people.  To verify that empirically, run Core in regtest mode, or with your own private signet, and see how much the coins are worth.  It doesn’t matter how much energy is poured into it.  I could set up my own mining farm mining a private Bitcoin fork; it would still be worthless.

Bitmain poured an awful lot of energy into BCH.  Calvin Ayre and company have poured some energy into BSV.  That doesn’t imbue these shitcoins with some sort of magical value as “energy containers”.  Their only value is how much they can scam out of people by abusing the Bitcoin name.

Now, as to the “energy container” concept in itself:  How does this container function?  Where does the energy go?  And how can we get it back out?

The total-work number is probabilistic evidence that energy has been spent.  It is an indirect measure, and a relative measure:  It does not measure energy itself!  It does not account for efficiency:  A CPU hash costs more energy than a GPU hash, which costs more energy than an FPGA hash, which costs more energy than an ASIC hash.

If Bitcoin were an “energy container”, then we should still be CPU-mining to expend the most energy per hash.  Instead, we use the most efficient known means to spend the least energy per hash.

No—the total-work number is only a measure of what the difficulty would be of rolling back and rewriting the blockchain with a 51% attack.  It is a measure of practical, real-world security against double-spend attacks—no more, no less.

With some apologies for the foregoing having been a bit rambling and disorganized—too long, yet too terse—I am trying to compress some big ideas into a small space, without time or space to write a book here.

If you rethink Bitcoin’s value from the start, I think that you will probably arrive at some radical conclusions.

Thanks for that post, which I find very interesting and insightful. Contrary to the opinion/preference of many WOers, I find this type of discussion very valuable and exactly on-topic.

Perhaps, in the context of our discussion, the term "energy" should be interpreted in a more abstract sense. Think of if as the collective amount of work (or effort) needed to optimize a performance metric. It's the outcome that counts, and one must choose the best tool for the job (e.g., ASICs vs. FPGAs vs. GPUs vs. CPUs). It's not just the raw amount of energy used. I could pour an immense amount of energy into an endless loop (something like 10: GOTO 10) executed by a supercomputer, and it would all be converted to heat and have no monetary (or other) value. That would be equivalent to your private Bitcoin fork mining example. But still, there is an inherent link between energy and value. There has to be, or else value could be "cheap" (an oxymoron). Energy is a necessary (but not sufficient) condition for something to have value.

To answer your question about what made me buy Bitcoin. No, it wasn't the "energy storage container" idea. I was intrigued by the mathematical beauty of this invention, and the freedom it could offer the world. Another reason was the fact that late-2015 (the year I first bought Bitcoin) was just a few months before the 2016 Halving event, so I knew that Bitcoin production would soon be halved, making Bitcoin more scarce. This, to me, was a clear indicator that its value would rise. Why? Because it is something extremely useful and hence desirable, that becomes progressively scarce.

You've already outlined what gives Bitcoin its value and I agree. But all those great properties that Bitcoin possesses would be worth nothing if there was no energy coming into the system to secure it. The beauty of Bitcoin's self-adapting difficulty requirement is that the energy required is automatically adjusted so that a hard-coded set-point is maintained (namely, Bitcoin's 10-minute block "heartbeat"). It is an ingenious design that has the ability to "suck" any amount of energy one throws at it. It reminds me of Andreas Antonopoulos' "cat videos" example, where he comments about the speed of the internet and how it is constantly "never enough". Every new technology that comes along soon maxes out again. All available bandwidth quickly fills up.

Thus, limiting the amount of energy used in Bitcoin is not something practically feasible on a worldwide scale. Legally limiting it in the USA/EU would cause miners to relocate to other, more "miner-friendly" regions of the world. The code is locale-agnostic. It will still self-adjust, and for those miners to stay profitable, the value of the coins generated must surpass the cost of mining.

Running the loop in the other direction, the higher the value of Bitcoin (due to its desirable properties) the more competition it attracts from miners that pour higher and higher amounts of energy into the system. Difficulty increases, and even more energy is needed by miners to stay competitive, yet they still mine because Bitcoin is so increasingly valuable that it can cover the increased cost.

In my humble opinion, it all comes down to the link between energy and value, complex and inexplicable as it may be. Energy may or may not create value, but value requires energy. There is no "free lunch" in this universe.

Edit: Typo.
Torque
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2022, 01:30:26 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

In my humble opinion, it all comes down to the link between energy and value, complex and inexplicable as it may be. Energy may or may not create value, but value requires energy. There is no "free lunch" in this universe.

This is one of those complex, philosophical topics where the answer is "Yes, but..."

Yes to what you stated above.

But...there are so many "things" in this world today that took a lot of energy and manpower to create (and thus had high value when first created), but their value has now fallen to near zero because humans no longer value them. They don't just retain their value long term because they had a high energy input.

This could happen to any "thing" created, because value is also subjective and is applied to "things" by the emotions of human beings.
BitcoinBunny
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 2472

View Profile
June 03, 2022, 01:31:36 PM
Merited by psycodad (1)

Putin is definitely definitively sick this time. It wasn't so definitive or definitely last time but now they are definitely thoroughly definitively convinced and sure he is terminally ill.

My guess he has Parkinson's, Cancer, Multiple Sclerosis, Motor Neuron Disease, a terminal heart condition, a stroke 5 times per day, bad breath and a touch of the shits.

Ukraine LIVE: 'End is near' for 'definitely sick' Putin – US officials break silence
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1620110/ukraine-live-vladimir-putin-US-russia-donbas-nuclear-weapon-sanction-latest-update
BitcoinBunny
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 2472

View Profile
June 03, 2022, 01:41:32 PM

As it goes, I was kinda "forced" to watch Pirates of the Caribbean(s) by this chick I was fucking... and, actually I was surprised, I actually enjoyed it.

ps, yeah I could not give a fuck about the trial either, not really followed it.... but seems like a bitch got served for being a bitch... life's a bitch.

I was forced to watch Harry Potter 1 by a woman I was fucking some 10 years ago. It was a horrendous movie. Truly awful. "You will love this because you like adventure and sci fi. etc" she said. Well she clearly never appreciated my critical brain.  Grin

I am glad she didn't force you to watch the wrong version of Harry potter.  Grin Grin  Shocked

That would have been an improvement for sure.

At least one can turn to Emma Watson deepfakes if one desires. All she is good for if you ask me. She was also awful in The Circle. Probably Tom Hanks' worst movie.
aysg76
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 2124

View Profile
June 03, 2022, 01:41:48 PM

You need to understand these billboards before you are left with worthless bills printed out of thin air in your hand.
shahzadafzal
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 2875

View Profile
June 03, 2022, 01:43:11 PM

Where's Bitcoin CEO? Why he's not answering calls?

https://twitter.com/intangiblecoins/status/1532338855751389185?s=20
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2022, 02:04:54 PM

Explanation
Torque
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2022, 02:17:24 PM

I would ban you from the wo if this was my website.

P O S = piece of shit

philipma, the joke must not have translated.

I believe that shahzadafzal was being sarcastic and facetious.
death_wish

Activity: 70
Merit: 320

Take profit in BTC. Account PnL in BTC. BTC=money.

View Profile
June 03, 2022, 02:18:19 PM

OT Shower thought:

It just occurred to me this morning that the goldbugs and silverbugs would absolutely *kill* to have the Average Joe public FOMO into PMs every few years, and have the MSM constantly printing bull/bear articles about it.

Kill.

Poor PMs: The Rodney Dangerfield of hedge vehicles.

Actually, not.  No way.  A serious long-term store of value does not need hype-driven P&D!

People don’t buy gold to chase moons, to get rich quick, or to obsess over “when $100k?”.  (Well, not unless they are idiots.  Serious goldbugs are not idiots.)  Gold buyers are largely motivated by a desire to avoid losing value; I believe that’s what a “hedge vehicle” means.

Gold’s lower volatility compared to Bitcoin is in gold’s favor, not in Bitcoin’s favor.  I would kill for Bitcoin to have gold’s level of volatility.

(Related—  A few days ago, I began to write a reply to a post by OgNasty wherein I observed offhand that altcoins don’t actually take much capital from Bitcoin:  They take away some of the wild volatility driven by short-term speculators seeking rapid 500% price movements.  That’s is a good thing.  If we didn’t get a wild blow-off top last year as in 2017, that’s a good thing—and if we now avoid an 85% correction from last year’s high, that’s because alts took the wild blow-off-top, and they are now taking the drastic correction.  This also relates to discussion of “Bitcoin dominance”, a mostly-meaningless number.)
Torque
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2022, 02:21:22 PM

People don’t buy gold to chase moons, to get rich quick, or to obsess over “when $100k?”.  (Well, not unless they are idiots.  Serious goldbugs are not idiots.)  Gold buyers are largely motivated by a desire to avoid losing value; I believe that’s what a “hedge vehicle” means.

Gold’s lower volatility compared to Bitcoin is in gold’s favor, not in Bitcoin’s favor.  I would kill for Bitcoin to have gold’s level of volatility.

Too bad that gold's appreciation can't even touch bitcoin's, nor can it keep up with real inflation. Volatility be damned.

What else you got?
shahzadafzal
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 2875

View Profile
June 03, 2022, 02:30:27 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1), Torque (1), dragonvslinux (1), death_wish (1)

P O S = piece of shit

No philipma1957 you can’t… only bitcoin CEO can ban me for this.
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 7714

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2022, 02:32:50 PM

P O S = piece of shit

I will delete my rant. Grin

done deleted
death_wish

View Profile
June 03, 2022, 02:34:37 PM

Too bad that gold's appreciation can't even touch bitcoin's, nor can it keep up with real inflation. Volatility be damned.

What else you got?

Bitcoin isn’t keeping up with real inflation, either.  $30k range in January 2022 was a drastic YOY loss compared to $30k range in January 2021, for starters.

A few months ago, I wrote a long rant to a friend about how the market is corrupted because traders figure PnL in dollars—everything is dollarized...  Years ago, a higher proportion of Bitcoin traders figured PnL in BTC.

Adjusted to pre-Covid dollars (adjusted for real inflation, not manipulated USG stats), I think we have probably already dipped far below 200 WMA.  Maybe even below 2017 ATH.  How much food, energy, real estate, etc. did $19k buy in 2017?  How many dollars are required to buy the same now?

I foresaw this problem years ago.  Sometimes, I hate to be proved so right.

As for gold—I never understood why some Bitcoiners have a grudge against gold.  It doesn’t make sense, and it’s counterproductive.
death_wish

View Profile
June 03, 2022, 02:40:13 PM

only bitcoin CEO can ban me for this.

He’ll ban you after he gets out of a private conference with Sam Bankman-Fried about how to make Bitcoin more awesome for VCs and big banks.
Gachapin

Activity: 896
Merit: 1835

bitcoin retard

View Profile
June 03, 2022, 02:41:03 PM
Merited by Dabs (1)

PS - Gave you 20 merits for one of yours posts I liked in error. Was supposed to be 10 but clicked refresh to check remaining sMerits so sent another 10. Please redistribute wisely.
(El duderino_is to blame for my generosity)

Now my account will be suspected to be a sockpuppet as well... Grin

Thanks for the golden smerit shower... #nohomo
Torque
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2022, 02:45:41 PM
Last edit: June 03, 2022, 03:42:39 PM by Torque

What else you got?

Bitcoin isn’t keeping up with real inflation, either.  $30k range in January 2022 was a drastic YOY loss compared to $30k range in January 2021, for starters.

I can cherry pick timeframes too.

If you bought bitcoin in March 2020 @ $6-7K/btc, you're up 400%-500% on your investment. Inflation likely gained +30% since then.

If you bought Gold in March 2020 @ $1485/oz., you're only up 25% on your investment. Inflation likely gained +30% since then.

Bitcoin was then, and still is, the better hedge against inflation.

As for gold—I never understood why some Bitcoiners have a grudge against gold.  It doesn’t make sense, and it’s counterproductive.

I don't have a grudge against gold. I own some, as well as silver. I have a grudge against the criminal COMEX rigging of PMs. Gold should easily be at > $5K/oz. by now, Silver at > $200/oz.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2022, 03:01:25 PM

Explanation
Pages: « 1 ... 30652 30653 30654 30655 30656 30657 30658 30659 30660 30661 30662 30663 30664 30665 30666 30667 30668 30669 30670 30671 30672 30673 30674 30675 30676 30677 30678 30679 30680 30681 30682 30683 30684 30685 30686 30687 30688 30689 30690 30691 30692 30693 30694 30695 30696 30697 30698 30699 30700 30701 [30702] 30703 30704 30705 30706 30707 30708 30709 30710 30711 30712 30713 30714 30715 30716 30717 30718 30719 30720 30721 30722 30723 30724 30725 30726 30727 30728 30729 30730 30731 30732 30733 30734 30735 30736 30737 30738 30739 30740 30741 30742 30743 30744 30745 30746 30747 30748 30749 30750 30751 30752 ... 33278 »
  Print  

Jump to: