Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:06:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-04-16 huffingtonpost.com - Bitcoin Celebrated As Way To Avoid Taxes  (Read 1278 times)
zeroday (OP)
Donator

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 07:13:36 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/16/bitcoin-taxes_n_3093182.html

It's 364 days until most Americans will once again face a deadline to file their taxes, but Teresa Warmke already has a plan for Tax Day 2014: She's going to skip the whole thing.
The treasurer of a limited liability corporation, Warmke has struck on what she celebrates as a novel way to avoid any audit trail -- and thereby any liabilities to Uncle Sam. Goodbye American dollar, hello bitcoin.

“I owe no tax unless I 'sell' at a profit and I'm not going to trade them back for dollars, so there are no capital gains,” a user who identified himself as Joe Allen wrote. “I will trade them at a later date, which is considered barter.”

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xcsler

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 08:24:31 PM

Scanning through the comments; must be what the editorial section in Pravda read like back in the day.  Roll Eyes
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1012

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 08:42:17 PM

HuffPo basically publishes whatever the DNC theme of the day is.   Want bad gun articles to push gun control?  Done.
Want scary security stories to impose more regulations on americans, done.

Same theme.   Taxes, Guns, racism/sexism, evil rich people.   It is laughable how RICH she got doing this.

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 09:05:04 PM

The last thing we need is the IRS thinking all bitcoiners are tax evaders.

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 09:08:38 PM

It'll eventually come to that, though.  Either that or they'll have to rethink their tax laws.

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 12:29:33 AM

It'll eventually come to that, though.  Either that or they'll have to rethink their tax laws.

Hey, come on! I read "some have speculated the currency could be used to avoid taxes" not "all know the currency will be used to avoid taxes". Did I read wrong?

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 01:53:28 AM

Hey, come on! I read "some have speculated the currency could be used to avoid taxes" not "all know the currency will be used to avoid taxes". Did I read wrong?

I don't speculate.  I avoid taxes on every purchase I make with Bitcoin Tongue  The IRS currently cannot tax Bitcoin, and it'll take some real patching up to enable them to.

Rygon

Activity: 520
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 02:27:04 AM

Wow, I wonder if Theresa Warmke and Joe Allen are even real people. If so, they can look forward to being audited by the IRS sometime in the near future for publicly declaring their intent to evade taxes. The IRS doesn't need to release guidance on Bitcoins because they have not been acknowledged to be real money by anyone authoritative in the US Govt. Therefore, transactions are considered barter, and subject to tax on gains in terms of fiat. It's not rocket science people. If a tax strategy sounds unbelievable ("Don't pay taxes on your income ever again!!1"), then it's probably illegal and the IRS will come at it if there's enough taxes to be worth it.

I don't usually think very highly of HuffPo, but that was just plain awful. This article was all about spreading false information in an a way that could only encourage others to engage in tax evasion. That's low, even for them.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: