Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:27:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ... 122 »
  Print  
Author Topic: In what situation would Bitcoin die?  (Read 101745 times)
poetra2501

Activity: 896
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 13, 2017, 06:32:25 PM

There are only two possibilities in which bitcoin can die.

Either people stop using it or there comes some new currency which is better then bitcoins and if that happens then I think bitcoin can disappear in quick time but as of now I think everything is fine with bitcoins.

Very smart, directly to the point. Only these two possibilities could make bitcoin die. But there are infinity causes to reach to these two possibilities, like persons trying to sabotage bitcoin, it's the worse and most dangerous possible cause to the bitcoin failure.
And there are many others causes, we need to be aware about everything to protect bitcoin against threats.
There are more possibilities for example the disappearance of some of the networks bitcoin depends, bitcoins depends on the electric network and also on the internet, so if one of those were to disappear then bitcoin will most likely disappear since there will not be a way to run bitcoin.
The main factor to make long life the bitcoin is Internet. We are know
that Bitcoin is very depends into Internet, without Internet I believe Bitcoin
will be die. Because there are can't any transaction will be active.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jewell

Activity: 490

View Profile
April 13, 2017, 08:21:06 PM

There are only two possibilities in which bitcoin can die.

Either people stop using it or there comes some new currency which is better then bitcoins and if that happens then I think bitcoin can disappear in quick time but as of now I think everything is fine with bitcoins.

Very smart, directly to the point. Only these two possibilities could make bitcoin die. But there are infinity causes to reach to these two possibilities, like persons trying to sabotage bitcoin, it's the worse and most dangerous possible cause to the bitcoin failure.
And there are many others causes, we need to be aware about everything to protect bitcoin against threats.
There are more possibilities for example the disappearance of some of the networks bitcoin depends, bitcoins depends on the electric network and also on the internet, so if one of those were to disappear then bitcoin will most likely disappear since there will not be a way to run bitcoin.
but i do not think that such situation can even happen. because we are not only depending on these things for bitcoin but we are depending on these thing for so many other important issues, as if electricity or internet will down it will effect our life for so many other aspect.
kidoseagle0312

Activity: 1092

View Profile
April 13, 2017, 09:15:32 PM

How and why would the end of bitcoin (and any other cryptocurrency) occur? Value decrease? Legality issues? Different technology/ideas to supersede it?
Bitcoin would only die if all users will leave bitcoin instantly, but it should have a valid reason why users leave Bitcoin. Or it will die or crushed down immediately when the Internet connection will lost in the entire world.
BeGoods
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1008

View Profile
April 14, 2017, 12:46:06 AM

How and why would the end of bitcoin (and any other cryptocurrency) occur? Value decrease? Legality issues? Different technology/ideas to supersede it?
Bitcoin would only die if all users will leave bitcoin instantly, but it should have a valid reason why users leave Bitcoin. Or it will die or crushed down immediately when the Internet connection will lost in the entire world.
for the current and the next few years there is no plausible reason for leaving bitcoin bitcoin is still easy to use and still profitable for investors, so we're still going to stay
--DarkSecrets--

Activity: 854

Stake & Vote or Become a IoTeX Delegate!

View Profile
April 14, 2017, 01:38:27 AM

In my own opinion it bitcoin may die if there is a world war and almost damage all things .
Second will be if internet dies ,welll bitcoins is mine and exist through online. Bitcoins storage will be spend only if there
is a internet ,however it will be a too impossible to happen now if so, how we may kill the internet .

`^cder.         
          '-`ryRQQ#@@#O}-       
       .)ydi`!]PQQ#@@@@@#d}!   
  `:'`rU9660ZL:')TZ@@@@@@####O)
  `lVx<,:xWg@@@#g)iQB##@@##@@@M
  `lVcyWRBsy@@Q8Z*iQQQQB##@@@@M
  `x|G#@@@m)T<:<v~iB##@@#QQB#@M
     `)I$#m,-' `>]ZB#@@@#QQQB#3
  .>LKlxxxx_`<YUaKOQQQB#BB####P
:V5MMMTx^=*` .~xeaOQQg$RB@@@##P
 .<}ab*' .QQK\_`;<YMRO66B@@@@B}
     .`  .Q#@#Q3v`rcvvY3B#Mx_   
         .OKx*rxv`x66OX]=`     
               .!`xRdyr,       
                  !<'

IoTeX

▬▬INTERNET OF TRUSTED THINGS.▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬.
▬▬▬▬BECOME A MEMBER TODAY▬▬▬.

▄███████████████████▄
        █████████████████████
▄█████  █████████████████████
██████  ████             ████
███     █████████████████████
██████  ████             ████
██████  █████████████████████
███     █████████████████████
███████ ▀███████████████████▀
▀███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▀████
  ████▌                 ██   
  ▐██▌                       
   █▌

TWITTER
MEDIUM
REDDIT
TELEGRAM
FORUM
BITCOINTALK
Soul Reaper

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 14, 2017, 01:43:11 AM

In my own opinion it bitcoin may die if there is a world war and almost damage all things .
Second will be if internet dies ,welll bitcoins is mine and exist through online. Bitcoins storage will be spend only if there
is a internet ,however it will be a too impossible to happen now if so, how we may kill the internet .
Yes you are right.
The demolition of bitcoins seems to be now so legit hypothetical.
Bitcoins now have gained a huge amount of respect,
And vast or massive acceptance among the people.
So even I think that bitcoins dieing is very difficult.
Until there is some better technology than bitcoin invented in the market.
And people start using it.
gracia0023

Activity: 140

View Profile
April 14, 2017, 07:39:39 AM

Even though the internet dies, it will never stay dead for too long. ISPs and the government, especially to the powerful countries, will not let that happen. Many businesses and government agencies depends on the internet in giving their services so this will be prioritized. That was the reason why bitcoin was made decentralized in the first place.
NEWGOODOUBLE

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 14, 2017, 09:12:29 AM

Bitcoin will die only if people will stop using it and that will make bitcoin to fall in its value or else there is no reason where bitcoin can be dead and I don't think that people will stop using bitcoin looking at the benefits they are getting from bitcoins.
The only key bitcoin death, #imo. internet besides death (impossible). when all users to stop using the bitcoin bitcoin will die. but what makes bitcoin users stop using bitcoin, it is still a mystery
Rostadom

Activity: 713
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 14, 2017, 04:09:09 PM

Even though the internet dies, it will never stay dead for too long. ISPs and the government, especially to the powerful countries, will not let that happen. Many businesses and government agencies depends on the internet in giving their services so this will be prioritized. That was the reason why bitcoin was made decentralized in the first place.

Nope, bitcoin was made decentralized so there will be no central point that the government can attack. It doesn't have a "power source" or a "heart" if you will. Taking down one part of a decentralized network will have no effect at all because other people just have to support it again. When the government shuts down the major mining farms, people that have PC at their homes will take advantage of this and mine bitcoins on their PC, not only to make money but to support the network as well. This way, bitcoin will even be more decentralized.

Only two things can kill the Internet, one huge disaster that will destroy all the power lines (loss of electricity) or one disaster that will destroy the internet cables (loss of connection). These will both be the opportunity of the government of a country since almost everyone (including large companies in which the government can collect huge tax from) relies heavily on Internet and electricity.
choppork

Activity: 588

View Profile
April 14, 2017, 04:32:59 PM

Bitcoin will die only if people will stop using it and that will make bitcoin to fall in its value or else there is no reason where bitcoin can be dead and I don't think that people will stop using bitcoin looking at the benefits they are getting from bitcoins.
The only key bitcoin death, #imo. internet besides death (impossible). when all users to stop using the bitcoin bitcoin will die. but what makes bitcoin users stop using bitcoin, it is still a mystery

I've never seen such a scenario wherein the users of a certain currency died altogether, let alone if these people are scattered all around the world. Assuming that all bitcoin users die, the idea of bitcoins will never die. There would always be new people coming to bitcoins by their own. They don't need anyone to force them or even point them towards bitcoin's direction.

Since all the data about bitcoins are posted on the Internet. Someone who would simply search "How to earn money online" will find out about bitcoins. Not to mention that these key words are used a lot since most people want to earn by working online at home.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██████░░░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2017, 05:07:41 PM

Nope, bitcoin was made decentralized so there will be no central point that the government can attack. It doesn't have a "power source" or a "heart" if you will. Taking down one part of a decentralized network will have no effect at all because other people just have to support it again. When the government shuts down the major mining farms, people that have PC at their homes will take advantage of this and mine bitcoins on their PC, not only to make money but to support the network as well. This way, bitcoin will even be more decentralized.

Only two things can kill the Internet, one huge disaster that will destroy all the power lines (loss of electricity) or one disaster that will destroy the internet cables (loss of connection). These will both be the opportunity of the government of a country since almost everyone (including large companies in which the government can collect huge tax from) relies heavily on Internet and electricity

Logical decentralization cannot override physical centralization

While I certainly agree that the Bitcoin network is logically decentralized, it is surely not so with physical connections (cables) that make up the Internet infrastructure (as you say yourself). So it won't take a lot to cut continents from each other (say, Americas from Eurasia). And then Bitcoin will get split into two independent chains. And the longer there is loss of connection, the stronger and more dramatic will be the consequences for the Bitcoin blockchain. There is satellite Internet but its bandwidth is limited, and it is unclear if it will be able to support Bitcoin integrity

nejibens

Activity: 672

View Profile
April 14, 2017, 05:27:46 PM

I think the unique situation which will "kill" Bitcoin is something which damage all the Internet connections around the world once forever, may be World War for example or similar things.
But this is really not supposed to happen at least in our nearest future.
Rostadom

Activity: 713
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 14, 2017, 05:48:03 PM

Only two things can kill the Internet, one huge disaster that will destroy all the power lines (loss of electricity) or one disaster that will destroy the internet cables (loss of connection). These will both be the opportunity of the government of a country since almost everyone (including large companies in which the government can collect huge tax from) relies heavily on Internet and electricity

Logical decentralization cannot override physical centralization

While I certainly agree that the Bitcoin network is logically decentralized, it is surely not so with physical connections (cables) that make up the Internet infrastructure (as you say yourself). So it won't take a lot to cut continents from each other (say, Americas from Eurasia). And then Bitcoin will get split into two independent chains. And the longer there is loss of connection, the stronger and more dramatic will be the consequences for the Bitcoin blockchain. There is satellite Internet but its bandwidth is limited, and it is unclear if it will be able to support Bitcoin integrity

But will they allow it, though? Why would a country/continent want to be disconnected from the world? Except if you're living in North Korea, I don't see any reason why you're government would do this. A lot of people are online workers and a lot of jobs need the Internet. Even simply selling stuffs digital goods require you to be connected to as much people as possible.

This move of the government will certainly raise questions by their citizens. If it's something that's been done because of something so little like bitcoins, it would totally upset everyone. People barely know bitcoin's existence.
skorupi17

Activity: 490
Merit: 256

View Profile
April 14, 2017, 05:58:31 PM

Only two things can kill the Internet, one huge disaster that will destroy all the power lines (loss of electricity) or one disaster that will destroy the internet cables (loss of connection). These will both be the opportunity of the government of a country since almost everyone (including large companies in which the government can collect huge tax from) relies heavily on Internet and electricity.

But don't you think if this type of disaster (death of internet) will occur, the decentralization of bitcoin will come handy. If the internet dies, the government will not let it stay dead. They will fix it immediately because of their dependency on the internet. And since bitcoin is decentralized, as soon as the internet is fixed, even on some areas only, bitcoin will become available also. So I think that is also a reason why bitcoin was made decentralized.
DocGTR

Activity: 141

View Profile
April 14, 2017, 06:31:58 PM

Any currency can die if you stop using it. If bitcoin ceases to use, then he will die too. It all depends on the users.
KingdomHearts

Activity: 896
Merit: 514

View Profile
April 14, 2017, 07:49:36 PM

Any currency can die if you stop using it. If bitcoin ceases to use, then he will die too. It all depends on the users.
i agree with you if we stop to use any currency then it will be go to die and decrease it value and you are right that it depend on user.
ophyrim

Activity: 994
Merit: 391

View Profile
April 14, 2017, 08:08:49 PM

I dont think it is possible. I mean bitcoin can never die. Many people know cryptomoney and use it. Earn money with it. invest money to it. No way dude no way.
Harry Callahan

Activity: 350

View Profile
April 14, 2017, 09:19:52 PM

It is a direct answer and most probably an impossible thing to happen because people are coming into bitcoin with time and the only time when people stop using these digital currency is when there is a major flaw in the technology and it is highly unlikely it will happen because there are competent people over looking everything.
PeRo

Activity: 1040
Merit: 538

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
April 14, 2017, 09:40:02 PM

There are tons of possible ways that Bitcoin can end, you can not even count them. Everyone could stop using it, it can somehow crash for some reasons, it can somehow become worthless, nobody knows what can happen to it. Most of these wont happen, it did survive this long, why would it die now.

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██
█████████▀██▀████████
████████▀
░░░░▀░░██████████
███████████▌░░▄▄▄░░░▀████████
███████
█████░░░███▌░░░█████████
███
████████░░░░░░░░░░▄█████████
█████████▀░░░▄████░░░░█████████
███
████▄▄░░░░▀▀▀░░░░▄████████
█████
███▌▄█░░▄▄▄▄█████████
▀████
██████▄██
██████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀
.BitcoinCleanUp.com.

.     Debunking Bitcoin's Energy Use     .
███████████████████████████████
███████▀█████████▀▀▀▀█▀████████
███████▌░▀▀████▀░░░░░░░▄███████
███████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐████████
████████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████
████████▄░░░░░░░░░░░▄██████████
███████▀▀▀░░░░░░░▄▄████████████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄████████████████
...#EndTheFUD...
FasTroy

Activity: 434

View Profile
April 14, 2017, 09:40:29 PM

I dont think it is possible. I mean bitcoin can never die. Many people know cryptomoney and use it. Earn money with it. invest money to it. No way dude no way.
Yes, i think you right, I don't imaginate that bitcoin will die one day, even if many government banned it, because people love/trust bitcoin and they will use it even in the worst situation of this cryptocurrency. So as you said "no way".

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ... 122 »
  Print  

Jump to: