Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 02:36:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens when you "find" a block?  (Read 4981 times)
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4680

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 01:11:56 PM

Is there anyway we can up our chances of finding a block?

correct me if I am wrong (still very new to this as well) but lets say the current difficulty is 100. A correct share which would result in a block has to be a share that is over 100.
Are we able to make our GPU's only submit shares over a certain difficulty? (solo mining)

Unless I am wrong in which case this question no longer applies.

I'm not sure I understand the question.  There are no "shares" if you are solo mining.  When solo mining, you continue to compute hashes until you find one that meets the current difficulty.  Then you broadcast it to all your peers.

When you mine in a pool, you do the same thing, except you notify the pool about the hashes that you find that don't meet the current difficulty but that do meet some notification difficulty.  This allows the pool to confirm that you actually are computing hashes, and allows them to estimate your hash rate so you receive an appropriate portion of whatever blocks the pool finds.
bitcento

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 01:13:03 PM

you make a party, I guess
rockstarshorty21

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 01:15:07 PM

you look for another
8kmode

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 01:16:07 PM

This is my screenshot of CGMiner with verbose mode on.

It's showing shares submitted (to verify its over the current difficulty? ) but they are not high enough.

BTW this is PPCoin but same principals should apply.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4680

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 02:45:19 PM

This is my screenshot of CGMiner with verbose mode on.

It's showing shares submitted (to verify its over the current difficulty? ) but they are not high enough.

BTW this is PPCoin but same principals should apply.

I'm not an expert in mining (and I know nothing at all about PPCoin), but it looks like you are using Stratum Protocol.  I thought Stratum Protocol was created for pool mining.  I hadn't realized that you could use Stratum Protocol with solo mining.

My understanding is that with Stratum Protocol, the mining pool server can send a message to the mining client:

Code:
{ "id": null, "method": "mining.set_difficulty", "params": [2]}

to tell it what difficulty to use.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: