Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:34:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Good Watt Meter Needed  (Read 2464 times)
AMD FTW (OP)

Activity: 317
Merit: 250

GET IN - Smart Ticket Protocol - Live in market!

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 05:59:28 AM

Anyone know of a good watt meter that I can leave plugged in constantly that can handle 20 amps. I have gone through 2 of these kill a watt units and my rig only pull like 1600w and these are suppose to be good for 1875 watts. My first watt meter died, this one currently still works but being that the plastic is so discolored from the heat makes me not want to currently use it.

GUTS | GET-Protocol ICO
smart-ticket protocol for events | live product with market traction!
BTC ANN | WEBSITE | BLOG | SANDBOX | WHITEPAPER | BOUNTY
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 06:02:44 AM

Found the source of your problem

On a serious note, avoid chinese things, they are of very very low quality.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
Bitware

Activity: 926
Merit: 1001

weaving spiders come not here

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 06:05:52 AM

Fluke has some of the best test equipment available... but its pricey.
ccnation

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 06:46:15 AM

A clamp meter will be better for what you are trying to do. I have not checked on what brands are good lately but as an example : http://www.amazon.com/Greenlee-CM-450-Clamp--Meter-True/dp/B002COQGI2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1366180843&sr=8-5&keywords=clamp+on+meter

Than you will need something like this to seperate the lines in order for the clamp meter to work: http://www.amazon.com/Tekpower-M920-AC-Line-Splitter/dp/B003A0MD48/ref=pd_sim_hi_2

Protagonus

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 07:25:55 AM

I've had use for these many times over the years.  Unfortunately the Kill-a-watt is the only affordable option for instantaneous V/A/PF readings (e.g. wattage).  You may try splitting your main power line into a Y with 2 receptacle plugs.  Be sure to keep lengths similar after the Y.  Then just run 2 wattmeters and total both power readings (won't be exactly the same on each, but will get you below frying). 
dave3

Activity: 344
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 07:55:56 AM

I've used a Brand Electronics meter for years that's worked pretty well (don't think the kill a watt was available at the time I got it).

It's a little expensive, though.

http://www.brandelectronics.com/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: