Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:47:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: School Blocks port 8333  (Read 1186 times)
left-ca (OP)

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 10, 2017, 05:24:24 AM

However port scanner says port 22 is open. How can I run a bitcoin node on port 22?

Or would having a vpn work?
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6511

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2017, 05:36:01 AM

I highly advise that you not do this. First of all, you are probably violating your schools AUP (aka ToS or T&C) by running a Bitcoin node that can accept incoming connections. Secondly, port 22 is probably already taken as that is the standard port for SSH. It is highly inadvisable to take up a standard port with something that is not doing what that port has been standardized for. Lastly, if you accept connections of port 22, you have a higher likelihood of not getting any incoming connections because port 22 is a nonstandard port for Bitcoin nodes.

You can still run a full node even without accepting incoming connections. You should still be able to make outgoing connections. You don't need to have any incoming connections to be a full node as you are still receiving and verifying every single block and transaction and then relaying them to your peers.

If you really want to run a Bitcoin node on port 22, start Bitcoin Core with the -port=22 command line option or add
Code:
port=22
to your bitcoin.conf file. However, don't expect this to work as it is extremely likely that an SSH daemon is already using port 22 and that will prevent you from being able to use it.

left-ca (OP)

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 10, 2017, 05:43:43 AM

Thanks for the quick response, didnt think it would be disallowed but it is after I skimmed the TOU. If i were to use a VPN + NAT Firewall  would the school be able to see I am running a node? or would it all be encrypted?

Thanks
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6511

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2017, 05:54:58 AM

Thanks for the quick response, didnt think it would be disallowed but it is after I skimmed the TOU. If i were to use a VPN + NAT Firewall  would the school be able to see I am running a node? or would it all be encrypted?

Thanks
Just by examining the network traffic, I don't think they would be able to tell that you are running a node as the traffic should be encrypted. However, they would be able to see that you are connecting to a VPN and may be able to terminate that connection if they so chose. They would also be able to see that you are downloading and uploading a ton of data to and from that VPN.

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299

View Profile
February 10, 2017, 12:09:58 PM

Thanks

You cold also consider running a node over Tor.
nemgun

Activity: 882
Merit: 533

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2017, 12:27:33 PM

However port scanner says port 22 is open. How can I run a bitcoin node on port 22?

Or would having a vpn work?

You can use other ports, because port 22 is SSH port, just enter a random number unless the port scanner says that all other ports are closed.
I wonder if bitcoind can use port 80 without scrubing http.

Just in order to help you with ports, here is a list of ports you can/may use:
- 53 domain port
- 443 ssl port
- 3306 mysql port

if you don't host a domain in the computer you use, then these ports are free, and generally they stay open.
Decoded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1029

give me your cryptos

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 12:35:29 PM

I doubt your school's that dumb. 22 is an SSH port, for crying out loud!

The IPs that I use at my school to tunnel past their proxy system are 109, 110 and 230.

I wouldn't recommend using your school wifi to run a node, because it's not practical, it requires alot of upload bandwidth and will get you caught.

looking for a signature campaign, dm me for that
nemgun

Activity: 882
Merit: 533

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2017, 09:37:45 AM

The IPs that I use at my school to tunnel past their proxy system are 109, 110 and 230.

I wouldn't recommend using your school wifi to run a node, because it's not practical, it requires alot of upload bandwidth and will get you caught.

If he uses a pruned node, with some fine tuning like giving 1 cpu to the node may make it silent enough, but still, he is true, you can't run a bitcoin node from your school wifi, maybe you can use a webwallet, electrum server, or the bcoin project (node in a browser) if you feel the need to use RPC you can still use bitcore.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 05:16:55 PM
Last edit: February 12, 2017, 05:37:34 PM by jackg

Thanks for the quick response, didnt think it would be disallowed but it is after I skimmed the TOU. If i were to use a VPN + NAT Firewall  would the school be able to see I am running a node? or would it all be encrypted?

Thanks

That's a pretty bad idea. There are registers with data on tor nodes and tey would be easy to detect that it isbeing used by tor.
Like this which took me about 3 seconds to find.

If he uses a pruned node, with some fine tuning like giving 1 cpu to the node may make it silent enough, but still, he is true, you can't run a bitcoin node from your school wifi, maybe you can use a webwallet, electrum server, or the bcoin project (node in a browser) if you feel the need to use RPC you can still use bitcore.

Maybe if he does it over something like a lunch break then he could just petend he's usingit for something else like watching a youtube video or something although it would look odd that data is being pulled ever minute instead of being pulled instantly.

Theoretically if the SSL port is open then you could probably connect through the domain port or just the regular internet port.
cr1776
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 07:47:35 PM

Thanks for the quick response, didnt think it would be disallowed but it is after I skimmed the TOU. If i were to use a VPN + NAT Firewall  would the school be able to see I am running a node? or would it all be encrypted?

Thanks

That's a pretty bad idea. There are registers with data on tor nodes and tey would be easy to detect that it isbeing used by tor.

Maybe if he does it over something like a lunch break then he could just petend he's usingit for something else like watching a youtube video or something although it would look odd that data is being pulled ever minute instead of being pulled instantly.

Theoretically if the SSL port is open then you could probably connect through the domain port or just the regular internet port.

Running over tor is a perfectly fine idea. Many nodes do it.

He didn't mention anything about his school not allowing Tor. 

jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 08:15:49 PM

Thanks

So you don't think the school will have provisions for tracking that, just as they have provisions for tracking VPNs? Obviously, if there's a tool that Ican find in 3 seconds to find tor nodes then connecting through it is going to be noticeable and blocked by the school for "protection of students".
cr1776
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 08:25:34 PM

Thanks

So you don't think the school will have provisions for tracking that, just as they have provisions for tracking VPNs? Obviously, if there's a tool that Ican find in 3 seconds to find tor nodes then connecting through it is going to be noticeable and blocked by the school for "protection of students".

I said nothing of the sort. 

He didn't mention Tor tracking so it could be a possibility for him.  Hypotheticals are fine, but they are just guesses and without solid information otherwise, all options should be considered. Likewise, it is important to give all the possibilities so that when others read this thread they are aware of the options.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: