Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:08:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheap and energy saving GPU for mining  (Read 746 times)
Novize (OP)

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 02:38:11 PM

Hello everbody,

I played a little bit with mining here and there. Right now I do a little bit of ZCash mining. For me this is more a hobby than actually a second income. But the small outcome from mining is actually enough for me to go on with it.

I'm actually searching for a graphics card which is cheap and has a very low energy consumption so that my engery bill isn't exploding after one night of mining Wink

So, does anybody has experience for e.g. with the AMD R5 models? I'm a little bit afraid because these type of GPU is normally not designed to be at 100% load.

Thanks in advance

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 06:49:05 PM

On the main page if you scroll down a bit you will find the altcoin section. This is where you will find all the GPU information you require.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
thesavoyard

Activity: 560
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 09:03:11 PM

Hello everbody,

I played a little bit with mining here and there. Right now I do a little bit of ZCash mining. For me this is more a hobby than actually a second income. But the small outcome from mining is actually enough for me to go on with it.

I'm actually searching for a graphics card which is cheap and has a very low energy consumption so that my engery bill isn't exploding after one night of mining Wink

So, does anybody has experience for e.g. with the AMD R5 models? I'm a little bit afraid because these type of GPU is normally not designed to be at 100% load.

Thanks in advance

At the moment Nvidia is killing AMD in zcash mining, they are also more power efficient than AMD. If you're just doing it as a hobby, even a GTX 1050 is going to get a little bit, but I'd go at least the 3gb version of a GTX 1060. Use MSI afterburner, turn down the volts to about 80% and turn the memory clock way up. They can hash at 300 sols/s like that and draw less than 100 watts. They are around $200, you won't get a decent rate any cheaper than that.

Novize (OP)

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 02:54:35 PM

Hello everbody,

Thanks in advance

At the moment Nvidia is killing AMD in zcash mining, they are also more power efficient than AMD. If you're just doing it as a hobby, even a GTX 1050 is going to get a little bit, but I'd go at least the 3gb version of a GTX 1060. Use MSI afterburner, turn down the volts to about 80% and turn the memory clock way up. They can hash at 300 sols/s like that and draw less than 100 watts. They are around $200, you won't get a decent rate any cheaper than that.

Thanks for that hint! So I will definitly go with a nvidia card here. I have an old one lying around here. Seems like this is a good opportunity for testing purposes Smiley
meeow

Activity: 72
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 06:05:42 PM

Hello everbody,

Thanks in advance

I wouldn't say Nvidia is killing AMD in raw hashrate at all, a fury is about the same speed as a 1070 and also $120 cheaper, 470 is like 30mh/s slower than 1060 but costs $50 less. Your second point regarding efficiency is true, though.
m1n1ngP4d4w4n

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

CryptoLearner

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 08:32:39 PM

Hello everbody,

Thanks in advance

I wouldn't say Nvidia is killing AMD in raw hashrate at all, a fury is about the same speed as a 1070 and also $120 cheaper, 470 is like 30mh/s slower than 1060 but costs $50 less. Your second point regarding efficiency is true, though.

If you don't count electricity when you mine, then you're doing it wrong. That's why Nvidia cards blast AMD's one on a large array of algos, it's because they're alot more power efficient. If you don't pay for electricity then hand's down price/performance for AMD's except on a very few select algos
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: