Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:33:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Petition to permanently block Hal's account  (Read 741 times)
BillyBobZorton (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 07:01:54 PM

As we know, Hal's account has been likely compromised, since someone logged in today:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=2436

As far as I know, satoshi's account is permanently locked. I think Hal's should be locked permanently too.

He was satoshi's first bitcoin friend. Imagine if satoshi shared with Hal via PM something that could compromise satoshi or somehow give access to some of the early coins.

A bad actor could use this on their benefit. For example, Craig Wright, to come back with more "look im satoshi" tricks.

Deceased famous people like Hal should have their accounts locked, I would like to know what mods think of this.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 07:38:43 PM

I think, it should not be outright blocked. It might be his family.

If there is some secret in PM and it is Craig Wright, who has broken into it, then he has already looked into it.

But, it is good if the current operator clearly says who he/she is.

HaXX0R1337

Activity: 574
Merit: 252

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 07:51:38 PM

The admin has to lock his account to prevent someone from using it and can be released only by the request of his family members and when i checked it says that his account has recently changed password and i am sure it is a breach unless it is said otherwise by the admin.

▬▬▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬▬
       ▄▄█████████▄▄
    ▄█████████████████▄
  ▄█████▀▀       ▀▀█████▄
 ▄████▀             ▀████▄
▄████▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▀████▄
█████    █████████    █████
█████    ████████▀    █████
█████     ▄▄▄▄        █████
▀████▄   ██████      ▄████▀
 ▀████   █████▀     ▄████▀
   ▀▀     ▄▄▄    ▄▄█████▀
         █████   █████▀
         ▀███▀    ▀▀
COMPRO
FINANCE
▬▬▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬▬
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████████████▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀▀    ██████▄
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
▀████████▌▐       ████████▀
▀████████ ▄██▄  ████████▀
▀█████████████▄███████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
HI-TEC99
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 2846

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 08:02:30 PM

The admin has to lock his account to prevent someone from using it and can be released only by the request of his family members and when i checked it says that his account has recently changed password and i am sure it is a breach unless it is said otherwise by the admin.

Hal said his family members were tech savvy, and that he left some Bitcoins for them in bank vaults. Any of them could probably prove they are related to Hal by signing a message from an old Bitcoin address known to belong to Hal. His account should be locked until a family member contacts theymos or a staff member.
arcanaaerobics

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 08:13:22 PM

I did notice it very hard to log into the forums about 3 hours ago.
Maybe that is when the hacking attempt happened and Hal's account got found out. Embarrassed
Newmine

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 06:17:39 AM

Hal said his family members were tech savvy, and that he left some Bitcoins for them in bank vaults. Any of them could probably prove they are related to Hal by signing a message from an old Bitcoin address known to belong to Hal. His account should be locked until a family member contacts theymos or a staff member.
I think he and or his wife stated that they had cashed out all the bitcoins to pay for his health care.
Newmine

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 06:19:07 AM

It was probably an admin here or someone who bought everyone's hacked passwords off the darknet.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 06:58:27 AM

It was probably an admin here or someone who bought everyone's hacked passwords off the darknet.
Unlikely. An admin could simply access anything they wanted by looking at the forum's unencrypted DB. The password was reset via email, so it was probably not the hacked password that was used, although email addresses were leaked, so it is possible that someone hacked his email address and used that to reset Hal's password.

IMO, it is more likely that one of his heirs had reset his password, and I do not see any reason why his heirs should not have access to his account/information available when accessing his account.
HI-TEC99
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 2846

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 11:22:52 AM

I think he and or his wife stated that they had cashed out all the bitcoins to pay for his health care.

I read he cashed out most of his Bitcoins to pay for his health care, but saved some early mined coins for his heirs. The quotes below are from one of his last posts here, and he said he stored some Bitcoins in a safety deposit box for his family.

The next I heard of Bitcoin was late 2010, when I was surprised to find that it was not only still going, bitcoins actually had monetary value. I dusted off my old wallet, and was relieved to discover that my bitcoins were still there. As the price climbed up to real money, I transferred the coins into an offline wallet, where hopefully they'll be worth something to my heirs.

Even with the ALS, my life is very satisfying. But my life expectancy is limited. Those discussions about inheriting your bitcoins are of more than academic interest. My bitcoins are stored in our safe deposit box, and my son and daughter are tech savvy.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 03:20:08 PM

+1, maybe he had sensitive info in his PMs or the account may use the reputation he had
I'm not a fan of messing with someone else's data but here I see a risk

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 03:50:52 PM

If there is some secret in PM and it is Craig Wright, who has broken into it, then he has already looked into it.

I think it should be bloked imediately, if they don't we are under attack by a potential Hal/Hal family impersonator. Block the account and then if it's really someone from Hal family that has the password, they can easily contact theymos in reddit or something and prove it, until then the safe thing to do is to block it imo.

I hope Hal cleaned his PM story.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 03:56:44 PM

I think it should be bloked imediately, if they don't we are under attack by a potential Hal/Hal family impersonator. Block the account and then if it's really someone from Hal family that has the password, they can easily contact theymos in reddit or something and prove it, until then the safe thing to do is to block it imo.

The problem is that we know it's not the case, the password has been changed today!
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1787466.new;topicseen#new

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
BillyBobZorton (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 05:04:05 PM

The problem is that we know it's not the case, the password has been changed today!
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1787466.new;topicseen#new

I think it's a hacker for sure. The passwords were sold, probably on the deep web or something. Hackers make a lot of base by selling databases of hacked forums in big and pricey bulks, since some of the accounts may be from vip members, in this case Hal's. So yeah, most likely it's a hacker and blocking the account as soon as possible is the correct thing, but if he had valuable PM's.. the damage is done.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: