Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 02:07:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this worth it?  (Read 1375 times)
mantler

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 07:17:11 PM

Buy them on ebay for the right price, if they don't send the BitCoin, put in dispute with paypal and you will get your money back.  Don't sell bitcoin with paypal, because someone else can do the same thing to you, and bitcoin transactions are irreversable.
You realize that you are telling people to scam PayPal, right? PayPal's terms of service specifically prohibit you from doing this.

No no, you didn't read properly, I said if they fail to send you the BTC then you should complain to Paypal.  Read my friend.

Actually you didn't understand properly. Paypal's stupid terms of service do exclude transactions involving digital goods. So, attempting a chargeback over a bitcoin transaction is an attempt to scam Paypal.

Then technically an attempt to even buy bitcoins with paypal is an attempt to scam them as well?
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 07:19:53 PM

We see people at these forums every day who were scammed and found no help at all from PayPal. I would not use paypal unless I knew the person in real life and trusted them. Because if you are scammed, the police won't know what you are even talking about and PayPal has zero interest in helping you with your bitcoin problem.  

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
fishface

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 07:20:18 PM

Buy them on ebay for the right price, if they don't send the BitCoin, put in dispute with paypal and you will get your money back.  Don't sell bitcoin with paypal, because someone else can do the same thing to you, and bitcoin transactions are irreversable.
You realize that you are telling people to scam PayPal, right? PayPal's terms of service specifically prohibit you from doing this.

No no, you didn't read properly, I said if they fail to send you the BTC then you should complain to Paypal.  Read my friend.

Actually you didn't understand properly. Paypal's stupid terms of service do exclude transactions involving digital goods. So, attempting a chargeback over a bitcoin transaction is an attempt to scam Paypal.

Then technically an attempt to even buy bitcoins with paypal is an attempt to scam them as well?

My wording was unclear, apologies. Paypal's Purchase Protection / Buyer Protection specifically excludes digital goods. However, PayPal Acceptable Use Policy only excludes digital goods if they are stolen goods.
mantler

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 07:21:37 PM

General consensus is that Bitcoin and Paypal don't mix well regardless of how you look at it.  I sold some BTC on ebay and everything went well for me, but not everyone will have the same experience.  Generally though, if someone has a very high feedback rating, they have it for a reason, not likely to get scammed by someone with over 100 feedback at 100%.  Look for those people, if you must buy on ebay.
vsimon

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 07:21:55 PM

Too risky for me.
aureliopuente

Activity: 2

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 07:34:40 PM

Agree. stay away
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 07:38:13 PM

My wording was unclear, apologies. Paypal's Purchase Protection / Buyer Protection specifically excludes digital goods. However, PayPal Acceptable Use Policy only excludes digital goods if they are stolen goods.
Wow! You're right. I misread their AUP.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
fishface

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 07:40:25 PM

Wow! Really?

Indeed.

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full#13.%20Protection%20for%20Buyers.   ctrl+F digital goods

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/AcceptableUse_full&fli=true&locale.x=en_US   ctrl+F digital
Jaroslaw

Activity: 84

supernode

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 07:41:09 PM

Im new here and i have 10 000$ should i jump in ?
lane2

Activity: 12

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 08:51:49 PM

I think it`s ok to buy if the seller has good feedback
sublime5447
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:48:55 PM

Actually, sometimes, Paypal won't reverse the activity, stating that their policy does not allow for virtual goods (or something equally full of bovine excrement).

Dude I been selling on ebay for 5 years you can always charge back in every instance you can charge back on ebay. For a digital item you can charge back the next day and put item not received.
mantler

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 03:29:27 AM

Actually, sometimes, Paypal won't reverse the activity, stating that their policy does not allow for virtual goods (or something equally full of bovine excrement).

Dude I been selling on ebay for 5 years you can always charge back in every instance you can charge back on ebay. For a digital item you can charge back the next day and put item not received.

Yes you can, that's why I spread out my risk and sold multiple listings per day with small amounts.  I was selling 0.10 BTC, and at the time bitcoin was at $240. Ebay buyers pay about 50% more to use paypal.  10 listings a day and things were going well.
borgopio

Activity: 8

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 03:38:42 AM

Wouldn't it be safer to just use an exchange?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: