Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:25:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [WARNING] Reporting Suspicious Trading Practice  (Read 802 times)
Dudeperfect (OP)

Activity: 1190
Merit: 534

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2017, 07:57:37 AM

I have some open ads on localbitcoins and I have given my whats app number in case if I am offline at the time of Trade.

Last Friday I got a message on whats app from a trader that he would like to trade with me at (much difference in current market price in my favour) so I agreed with him.

He claimed that he is from other country and still has paytm account (Paypal like service in India), so he would use it in the trade.  I sent him my advertising link to place order and then he said his paytm limit is over.

I asked him to use other such service and then he did agree and said will do it after lunch. Later he refused to do it and said he reached his localbitcoins limit and can use blockchain if I go first.

I suggested him to use other escrow services but he said he will do it tomorrow and then refused it too. Today I asked him that can we proceed further then again he refused.

I don't trade without escrow so I refused his proposal to go without escrow and I am not sure is this kind of scam attempt or not so I am not revealing his personal details but I just want to warn all of you that

DON'T GO WITHOUT TRUSTED ESCROW IF YOU ARE DEALING WITH SOMEONE YOU DON'T KNOW. IGNORE AT YOUR OWN RISK.
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Fortify
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1176

View Profile
February 15, 2017, 10:08:07 AM

It's been happening since localbitcoins opened, you do have to stay wary and assume anyone working outside the rules is trying to scam you. Does this paytm service in India allow you to do chargebacks like paypal? That's probably the end result if he was able to find suckers to fall for it.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
BitcoinHodler

Activity: 1456
Merit: 578

HODLing is an art, not just a word...

View Profile
February 15, 2017, 10:39:07 AM

it is happening everywhere and as long as internet existed! which means it is not limited to bitcoin. scammers are everywhere on the internet trying to make a quick buck of someone.

even in your signature (yobit) there are lots of scammers in the chat, a long time ago when i was messing around there to see what is happening i received a message from a member in chat saying "i will buy your coins with much higher price" then he said "send bitcoin to me using yobit codes and i will pay you after" as if i am idiot enough to send an irreversible funds on a platform that doesn't even have a support team Cheesy

Holding Bitcoin More Every Day
thebatletbet

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 15, 2017, 10:52:44 AM

iam not yet localbitcoins.com, in there transaction direct member to member without escrow
or owner and admin not support escrow service, payment can't sending to admin(admin not want escrow position)
if direct sending member to member without escrow is danger service, because seller can run money, without bitcoin sending
Snorek
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 15, 2017, 11:05:19 AM

Serious and well needed warning. You don't know someone, you never talked or met him before - you use escrow, always
Op, but I have question about that payment processors paytm - if it is similar to paypal then it has integrated chargeback function.
How exactly you can escrow refundable payments methods like this?
aardvark15

Activity: 994
Merit: 510

View Profile
February 15, 2017, 11:53:38 AM

Scams are everywhere. If the price doesn't sound right then that's probably a red flag to start with.
jhenfelipe

Activity: 1372
Merit: 647

View Profile
February 15, 2017, 12:24:54 PM

Good for you. It's really hard to trust anyone especially online that's why we need to be extra careful in making any trades. Having an escrow is the safest way, well as long as you know the escrow well and does have a good reputation. There are times that even the escrow run away with the money so better choose wisely.
Jannn

Activity: 1120
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2017, 10:48:03 AM

DON'T GO WITHOUT TRUSTED ESCROW IF YOU ARE DEALING WITH SOMEONE YOU DON'T KNOW. IGNORE AT YOUR OWN RISK.
This the best practices to know in dealing online to avoid some scam attempts by the unknown person.Dealing online have a high risk on scam attempts so be safe and alert all the times.
el kaka22
Legendary

Activity: 3500
Merit: 1162

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
February 17, 2017, 06:16:58 PM
Last edit: February 18, 2017, 07:15:15 AM by el kaka22

I don't trade without escrow so I refused his proposal to go without escrow and I am not sure is this kind of scam attempt or not so I am not revealing his personal details but I just want to warn all of you that
That is the only protection layer we could have to safeguard ourselves. Almost 99% of malpractices are being eliminated when we go through a trade with escrow. Your warning is good but I guess almost all the members here must be well aware of these types of scam attempts. Still having another warning would be nice to remind one more time.

Scams are everywhere. If the price doesn't sound right then that's probably a red flag to start with.
Most of the times, the cheaper prices when you are trying to buy (higher prices in the case of selling ) would be quoted just to lure us. The basic common sense like "no one will act for others benefits" is the thump rule to protect ourselves here.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Idrisu

Activity: 924
Merit: 260

View Profile
February 18, 2017, 09:45:27 AM

Your story is an eye opener for newbies as some of them jump into transactions without proper security tools in place. Many  have loss hundreds of bitcoin because didn't used escrow. Don't do any online transactions without using escrow as that is online form of insurance you have. Scammers are every were and their aim is to stole your hard earned money or bitcoin.
BrewMaster
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292

There is trouble abrewing

View Profile
February 18, 2017, 04:22:13 PM

we are using bitcoin and the deals are with bitcoin too, so we might as well take full advantage of all the features that bitcoin is offering us.

for every single trade that you make you should use an escrow with 2 of 3 multi signature option, that way you no longer have to worry about either the buyer nor the escrow.

There is a FOMO brewing...
Qartersa

Activity: 868
Merit: 535

View Profile
February 18, 2017, 05:45:31 PM

I think what OP has described is really just a scam attempt. Which is fairly common everywhere nowadays. The tip he gave to people reading it is also a no brainer. Why deal with strangers? Who will blindly send bitcoins or whatever form of money to anyone if there is no trust established in the trade?
Dudeperfect (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2017, 01:40:28 PM

That is the only protection layer we could have to safeguard ourselves. Almost 99% of malpractices are being eliminated when we go through a trade with escrow. Your warning is good but I guess almost all the members here must be well aware of these types of scam attempts. Still having another warning would be nice to remind one more time.

Exactly and due to having this huge advantage, even paying some fees doesn't matter a lot. I am very conservative when it comes to deal with a stranger thus escrow is my first priority, which I never compromise. I am fortunate to prevent myself from the number of scams in past few years so I advise others to use escrow in every trade.
btvGainer
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2017, 01:50:34 PM

Serious and well needed warning. You don't know someone, you never talked or met him before - you use escrow, always
Op, but I have question about that payment processors paytm - if it is similar to paypal then it has integrated chargeback function.
How exactly you can escrow refundable payments methods like this?
Paytm is not meant to be a payment pricessor like PayPal but it does support tranfer of money among members.
I haven't heard of any chargeback case yet.I dont think paytm can help you if receipient withdraw the amount to his bank account.
Dudeperfect (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2017, 09:40:25 AM

I got a message from the same profile again and it was another poor attempt of scam. First, he offered me a good rate and then said can't use localbitcoins because someone opened a trade within 5 minutes.

Stay away, use escrow always.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: