Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 08:05:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My Electrum client doesn't start any longer under OSX  (Read 447 times)
Norbert78 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 08:23:13 AM

Hi forum,
I'm only using electrum every now and then but today morning I experienced that it is not longer starting. I just downloaded the very latest version from the homepage and updated it but it does not start. When I start the client, It asks me, whether I want to connect to the server auomatically or manually. Regardless, what I choose, the window then disappears and no other window shows up. The console does not show any messages from electrum at all.
Does anybody have any idea, how I can convince electrum to start?

Thanks
Norbert
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 02:56:03 PM

Hi forum,
I'm only using electrum every now and then but today morning I experienced that it is not longer starting. I just downloaded the very latest version from the homepage and updated it but it does not start. When I start the client, It asks me, whether I want to connect to the server auomatically or manually. Regardless, what I choose, the window then disappears and no other window shows up. The console does not show any messages from electrum at all.
Does anybody have any idea, how I can convince electrum to start?

Thanks
Norbert

Does Electrum command line work? Try typing
Code:
electrum help
and
Code:
electrum listaddresses --funded
for example to see if you get any output or errors to display.

It is possible there is some error when reading your wallet file or something but it is odd that no error is being shown. You might have to try recreating the wallet (after backing up) and restoring your seed if the issue persists.
Norbert78 (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 03:51:23 PM

Thanks for the answer. Starting electrum from the command line does not work (command not found) but I'm wondering how it should be working. All I downloaded was the app in the Applications folder, so there is no command line program as far as I know.
I think that I can recreate my wallets from the seeds (as far as I understand that's all that I need) but before doing so, I need to get Electrum starting again :-(
kolloh
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 06:55:54 PM

Thanks for the answer. Starting electrum from the command line does not work (command not found) but I'm wondering how it should be working. All I downloaded was the app in the Applications folder, so there is no command line program as far as I know.
I think that I can recreate my wallets from the seeds (as far as I understand that's all that I need) but before doing so, I need to get Electrum starting again :-(

Try backing up the ".electrum" folder within your user profile and then deleting or moving it which would force Electrum to recreate the folder. If there is something in your profile that is causing the issue, this should fix it I believe.
Norbert78 (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 09:10:15 PM

Deleting the .electrum folder did the trick!
Thanks!
Norbert
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2017, 09:36:12 AM

Try backing up the ".electrum" folder within your user profile and then deleting or moving it which would force Electrum to recreate the folder. If there is something in your profile that is causing the issue, this should fix it I believe.

thanks for your help.
maybe next time you could suggest to delete only the .electrum/config file, so the user keep their wallet data.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
kolloh
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 03:15:07 PM

thanks for your help.
maybe next time you could suggest to delete only the .electrum/config file, so the user keep their wallet data.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, in the future, I'll suggest that they only delete the config file first to see if that resolve the issue that to avoid having to recreate the wallet and resync.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: