Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:54:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin QT Client - Import Private key via QR Code from Paper Wallet?  (Read 4673 times)
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 07:24:03 AM

Does anyone know if there are any plans for this functionality in order to import a paper wallet into the Bitcoin QT Client? It would really speed things up should we need to "access" or move our paper wallet around.

There must be a good open source QR code scanner that we can use (MAC OS, Windows, Linux) in the meantime to scan and paste in that value for a speedy paper wallet import.

Any ideas?

IMS

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 09:27:31 AM

Zint Portable. That's what I use. I also use the QR scanner on my phone, then Air Droid it to my computer.

wumpus
qt

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 09:29:32 AM

Generating paper wallets is fundamentally incompatible with the way Bitcoin-Qt works, as it is a hot wallet connected to the internet. Generating keys for offline usage should be done offline.

Scanning them in and importing them, on the other hand, would be a possible feature. As far as I know no one is working on this at the moment. I think it would be a lot of work in desktop setups, with the different scanner/webcam arrangements on different operating systems. But it would be nice.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 02:18:38 PM

Thanks for the suggestions and comments.

John - I understand that one would not want the key creation tied to the QT Client. I was only looking for a means of importing a private key (from a paper wallet) a bit quicker than manually typing it out. But it is good you mentioned that just in case anyone got the wrong idea. Interesting that no one is working on it. It seems one could just "plug" an open source reader into the QT Client and walla? I mean essentially all one needs to do is a copy and paste anyway, so it doesn't seem like it would be complicated. I think it would be good to have a few standard QR readers regardless.

Doing some searching there seems to be a lot of Open Source QR Code readers out there. I found this one: http://dansl.net/qrreader/
QRreader is an open source QR reader, around since at least 2005 according to what I found. It seems pretty simple. Anyone have experience with this one?

As long as it is open source an around for a while it should be relatively safe (I hope).

IMS

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 02:23:41 PM

I usually scan it with my smartphone and the share it over bluetooth with my PC, then I can import the private key by using the debug console.

<rant> Allot of work I know, but Gavin and team are convinced that user interface is fine and we should shut up because they have better things to do. </rant>

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 02:54:00 PM

I use a wasp scanner.  It emulates a keyboard over USB and can read barcodes and QR codes.

My paper wallets include QR codes, barcodes and OCR-A text versions of everything.  A WIF in barcode form is too long for my reader to take in a single shot, so I break that into pieces to be scanned sequentially.

I like having the client import a variety of text formats, but I don't see the conversion from printed form to text as a good thing to include.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 03:30:49 PM

I couldn't get QRreader to work with the built in Imac camera. I think it just doesn't focus down fine enough. So, I installed a QR reader on the Ipad but it wouldn't let me transfer the text code via I-Tunes.
I am not a computer expert and would just like a simple way to scan paper wallets. If the built in Camera won't do it, then I need to use my Ipad. Is bluetooth and option here? Any pointers?

Thanks again guys
IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 04:29:40 PM

Ok, I figured out a secure way without using a cloud, wireless, bluetooth, etc.  Grin

1. If you have a Mac and Ipad you first scan your QR Code in any QR reader and then copy it to the clipboard.
2. Go into Notes on the Ipad and paste in the QR Text
3. Now we have to set up the Ipad under iTunes (Note, you must have the mail client set up on you Mac/PC):
    Connect your iPad to the computer and open iTunes
    Click on the Info tab and check the box marked Sync Notes.
    On a Mac, the Notes will be synced with your Mail application and appear in the Notes folder in the Reminders section.
    On a PC, the Notes will be synced with Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express.

When your Ipad is synced the note from your Ipad will be copied to under "Reminders"/"Notes" under the mail program. Just copy and paste that private key into your Bitcoin QT client (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/How_to_import_private_keys_v7%2B#Unlock_your_wallet)

Coming from a PC and Linux I really feel handcuffed on Macs. They are intuitive but inflexible when it comes to moving and sharing data imo.

Anyway, hope that was useful for you Mac guys. Windows and Linux guys must be laughing at how easy this would be on their machines if using an Android Tablet.

IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
FreddyFender

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

Shamantastic!

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 06:42:58 PM

Does anyone know if there are any plans for this functionality in order to import a paper wallet into the Bitcoin QT Client? It would really speed things up should we need to "access" or move our paper wallet around.

There must be a good open source QR code scanner that we can use (MAC OS, Windows, Linux) in the meantime to scan and paste in that value for a speedy paper wallet import.

Any ideas?

IMS

https://github.com/ThePiachu/TPs-BrainPay
ThePiachu is at it again! Enjoy...

FF

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: