Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:28:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone else think it really hit the fan lately?  (Read 2629 times)
lessPlastic (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 04:32:41 AM

Bitcoins were at $9 not too long ago. All of a sudden, they hit 19, then 24, then topped out at 30, where people consider there to be a mini- or not mini- bubble. Right when this happened, all of the hacking began, there began rumors of giant hash farms being brought online, senators started to discuss it, and it seems like our community quadrupled in size. All in a short period of time. Anyone else think so?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Edward50

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 04:57:17 AM

Seems like typical human psychology here. Probably similar to the gold rushes back in the 18th centuries. I guess when the value started to get higher everybody became aware of it. News articles were written, more people learned about it. Personally, I got taken into the craziness when I saw how simple it was to get coins and how much they were exploding in value. This was probably very similar to the internet .com bubble.
 I looked into building a rig, but I was smart enough to read carefully about it and realize it was really not worth it. I even considered buying some bitcoin at the higher price because it seemed it could go much higher.

Now it has got to a point that mining is quickly becoming unprofitable. People are starting to realize that these coins do not have a high value and the explosive growth will not last.

One thing I realized is that it is very difficult to make easy money, and if it is easy it will not last. My predicition is the price will fall back to around $5-$11 dollars, and it will grow steady from that point. At that price level it is an OK investment, giving the high risk of bitcoin being worthless.

In the USA the dollar is a much more stable currency and it is far easily used in this country with much less exchange risk. The only thing bitcoin will be used for in the USA is the black market.

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 05:07:26 AM

After greece, the euro will disband.

Then the dollar will be next.

Choose carefully.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Maxxx

Activity: 70
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 06:08:53 AM

In the USA the dollar is a much more stable currency and it is far easily used in this country with much less exchange risk. The only thing bitcoin will be used for in the USA is the black market.

One thing about the FRN is that it has lost 97% to 98% of it's purchasing power since 1913. I have purchased soup, toothpaste, steam gifts, VPN tunnel service, VPS hosting and more with Bitcoin. Your argument about use only in the black market seems very invalid to me.

Time is money. This means that if you have spare time, you can use it to make money.

Modular, open, and stack-able miner case.
shady financier

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

etcetera

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 10:34:39 AM

One thing about the FRN is that it has lost 97% to 98% of it's purchasing power since 1913. I have purchased soup, toothpaste, steam gifts, VPN tunnel service, VPS hosting and more with Bitcoin. Your argument about use only in the black market seems very invalid to me.

Coincidence that the economy has grown 97%  to 98% in the last hundred years?

1G8AUgSTAw8hfatNnDHuYEqBAUzC3qvAAL

Bitcoin news: http://thebitcoinsun.com/

Rapidlybuybitcoin here.

The value of goods, expressed in money, is called “price”, while the value of money, expressed in goods, is called “value”. C. Quigley
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 10:48:33 AM

Which one is the coincidence? The 97 or 98?
shady financier

etcetera

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 10:58:40 AM

Let me put it another way, is there a correlation between the dollar losing around a hundred times its value and the economy the dollar represents growing around a hundred times bigger?

just putting the question out there.

Rapidlybuybitcoin here.

The value of goods, expressed in money, is called “price”, while the value of money, expressed in goods, is called “value”. C. Quigley
dutt

Activity: 135

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2011, 11:11:54 AM

No, if dollar supply would've been constant the value would've gone up with the economy.
Dollar is devalued because there are new dollars being created much more faster than the economy grows.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2011, 11:20:15 AM

What are measuring to get those (obviously wrong) numbers?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
shady financier

etcetera

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 11:36:57 AM

No, if dollar supply would've been constant the value would've gone up with the economy.
Dollar is devalued because there are new dollars being created much more faster than the economy grows.

Yeah I spoze.

Rapidlybuybitcoin here.

shady financier

etcetera

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 11:40:09 AM

Coincidence that the economy has grown 97%  to 98% in the last hundred years?

Merely an exercise. Goldbuggers drop this 98 percent loss of dollar value thing a lot, I wanted to check it against the fact that the economy is obviously much larger than it was back in JP Morgan himselfs day. I myself disagree with gold-fetishism, so I don't accept their metalist incantations without examination.

Rapidlybuybitcoin here.

Maxxx

Activity: 70
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 04:17:01 PM
Last edit: June 17, 2011, 04:30:25 PM by Maxxx

Coincidence that the economy has grown 97%  to 98% in the last hundred years?

Merely an exercise. Goldbuggers drop this 98 percent loss of dollar value thing a lot, I wanted to check it against the fact that the economy is obviously much larger than it was back in JP Morgan himselfs day. I myself disagree with gold-fetishism, so I don't accept their metalist incantations without examination.

That's true (that the economy has grown but I don't know by how much), yet, our grandparents could have potentially saw a loss of over 90% of all their savings if they stayed with FRN. Are you really that clever holding onto nothing but federal reserve notes? You can argue all you want about the economy expanding but I only see a fool saving these bank notes.

Time is money. This means that if you have spare time, you can use it to make money.

Modular, open, and stack-able miner case.
shady financier

etcetera

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 04:48:45 PM

I own exactly one dollar, a souvenir from my visit to the USA.

It's actually got "In God We Trust" written on it, how quaint. Cheesy

Rapidlybuybitcoin here.

BitCheddar

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 06:41:54 PM

"In God We Trust"

All others, pay cash.
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 03:40:04 AM

Seems like typical human psychology here. Probably similar to the gold rushes back in the 18th centuries. I guess when the value started to get higher everybody became aware of it. News articles were written, more people learned about it. Personally, I got taken into the craziness when I saw how simple it was to get coins and how much they were exploding in value. This was probably very similar to the internet .com bubble.
 I looked into building a rig, but I was smart enough to read carefully about it and realize it was really not worth it. I even considered buying some bitcoin at the higher price because it seemed it could go much higher.

Now it has got to a point that mining is quickly becoming unprofitable. People are starting to realize that these coins do not have a high value and the explosive growth will not last.

One thing I realized is that it is very difficult to make easy money, and if it is easy it will not last. My predicition is the price will fall back to around $5-$11 dollars, and it will grow steady from that point. At that price level it is an OK investment, giving the high risk of bitcoin being worthless.

When do you think it will fall to $5-$11?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: