Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:13:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitGo.com - full control over your Bitcoin?  (Read 2073 times)
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 10:58:04 PM

What other companies really come in comparison to BitGo as I really wouldn't want to put Blockchain.info in the same league as it really isn't.
Bitgo doesn't give full control because you will not have private key.
Blockchain.info allows you to have full control and wallets are client side encrypted.

Bitgo charge high fees in % basis but blockchain.info charge normal bitcoin fees and all of that fees go towards transaction fee not to owner's pocket.  Grin

Bitgo looks more like centralized bitcoin wallet justlike coinbase but their idea of instant confirmation sound interesting.
Even on that 0.1% fee is already too much specially when we do make big amount transfers and i dont like for those fees to go on owners pocket.  Cool. Having no possesion on your private keys do always accompanied with the risk for you on not having the possibility of recovery once the service shuts down unlike on other wallet that keys will really be the important thing that must have. Id rather choose coinbase with no doubt than on bitgo.
Coinbase actually used to (I am not sure if they still do or not) offer "vault" services in which you would send your bitcoin to a multisig address and coinbase would only sign transactions out of that address under a certain set of circumstances. It was a 2-of-3 multisig, and the customer would have two of the keys in case coinbase ever shut down.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
stomachgrowls

Activity: 2842
Merit: 768

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 03:44:58 PM

What other companies really come in comparison to BitGo as I really wouldn't want to put Blockchain.info in the same league as it really isn't.
Blockchain.info allows you to have full control and wallets are client side encrypted.

Bitgo charge high fees in % basis but blockchain.info charge normal bitcoin fees and all of that fees go towards transaction fee not to owner's pocket.  Grin

Bitgo looks more like centralized bitcoin wallet justlike coinbase but their idea of instant confirmation sound interesting.
Even on that 0.1% fee is already too much specially when we do make big amount transfers and i dont like for those fees to go on owners pocket.  Cool. Having no possesion on your private keys do always accompanied with the risk for you on not having the possibility of recovery once the service shuts down unlike on other wallet that keys will really be the important thing that must have. Id rather choose coinbase with no doubt than on bitgo.
Coinbase actually used to (I am not sure if they still do or not) offer "vault" services in which you would send your bitcoin to a multisig address and coinbase would only sign transactions out of that address under a certain set of circumstances. It was a 2-of-3 multisig, and the customer would have two of the keys in case coinbase ever shut down.
I think they do still have that kind of feature.Im using coinbase in web browser and the same time on their mobile app too which they do really have that vault service but im not aware on that kind of service which do capable on having a multisig addresses. Thanks for telling out and I might try it soon once i logged in to that wallet and would find out if it does still function or not.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
JanpriX

Activity: 1708
Merit: 606

Buy The F*cking Dip

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 01:22:42 AM

If I remembered it correctly, I've been using Bitgo since 2015 but had to stop last 2017 when their fees became so much high compared to other online wallets. They charge ludicrous fees that are not backed by any useful feature in their platform. It also appears that you don't have the full control over your BTC as I can recall that I have the same PDF file where 1 part of the private key is saved (other parts are being held by Bitgo). Well, this is expected and almost all of the online wallets are the same (they don't provide control over your own coins.

My advice is that you buy some hardware wallets especially if you'll gonna use it with high amount of BTC. The security that it provides is well worth it with the price that you pay for it.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 05:56:26 AM

I think they do still have that kind of feature.Im using coinbase in web browser and the same time on their mobile app too which they do really have that vault service but im not aware on that kind of service which do capable on having a multisig addresses. Thanks for telling out and I might try it soon once i logged in to that wallet and would find out if it does still function or not.
I would point out that having bitcoin in a coinbase multi-sig 'vault' was never the same as having it in your coinbase account. If you wanted to sell those coins, you would need to sign and broadcast a transaction to your coinbase deposit address and wait for the same number of confirmations as any other deposit.

I would suggest creating a multisig wallet with electrum that requires 2 of 3 (or whatever) signatures to sign a transaction over using bitgo. This will result in paying the same transaction fee, however would save you money because you would not be paying bitgo. It would also likely result in an incremental increased level of security because with bitgo, if your computer is hacked, you will likely have your bitgo account compromised and your wallet compromised, however with a 2 of 3 multisig, you would need to have multiple devices compromised.
CoinCodex

Activity: 314
Merit: 6

View Profile
October 19, 2018, 11:35:45 AM

According to Bloomberg, Goldman Sachs and Galaxy Digital Ventures contributed a combined $15 million to BitGo.

https://coincodex.com/article/2514/goldman-sachs-and-galaxy-digital-ventures-invest-into-crypto-custodian-bitgo/
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: