Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:25:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 10 adoption rate is stagnating  (Read 783 times)
TheIrishman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1049
Merit: 1006

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 05:44:29 PM
Last edit: March 10, 2017, 07:29:07 AM by TheIrishman

Windows 10 adoption rate is stagnating

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/windows-10-adoption-rate-is-stagnating.html

http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-no-longer-succeeds-attracting-new-windows-10-users-81448

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=11&qpcustomb=0

It seems that Microsoft is having a hard time retrieving more new users on Windows 10. The operating system install base has been stuck on 400 million for four months now. Ever since Microsoft ended its free upgrade campaign, that install base remained roughly the same. The company earlier this week announced that it has 400 million active Windows 10 users reports myce.com:

The slow growth is related to the the end of the free Windows 10 upgrade period and the disappointing sales of Windows smartphones. It's therefore very unlikely that Microsoft will achieve its goal of 1 billion Windows 10 users by 2018.

"We're very happy with the progress but due to the shifted focus of our smartphone hardware business it will take us longer to achieve the goal of 1 billion active devices by 2018", according to a Microsoft spokesman.

Windows 10's market share has grown by 2% to 3% after the free upgrade period ended, about a fifth of the 10% monthly growth when users could still upgrade for free.

Sources: Guru3D, Myce.com, NetMarketShare

How to completely avoid upgrading to Windows 10... forever

Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
santaclaws

Activity: 119
Merit: 100

Horror Movie Phreak

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 05:58:54 PM

Windows 7 is still in the lead for adoption. This should send microsnot a message, don't mix tablet and desktop operating systems.
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 09:20:34 PM

Windows 7 is still in the lead for adoption. This should send microsnot a message, don't mix tablet and desktop operating systems.
Exactly, Windows 8 is absolutely horrible, without a classicshell you just can't use it, these tablet-nudget icons make me puke. With windows 10 they added back the desktop with all the icons, but they added alot of what i would classify as spyware, software for personalising ads etcetera. ( http://www.networkworld.com/article/2956574/microsoft-subnet/windows-10-privacy-spyware-settings-user-agreement.html )

Thats why i'll stick to windows 7, it might be outdated, but it is still, in my belief, the best windows out there. It is simplistic, good-looking, and has all the functions which are needed.

KyriosCluster

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 09:37:55 PM

Agree with that. It seems to me that windows is on the downtrend, even by giving free Windows 10 copies to Win7 users most of them haven't taken the change.
Microsoft failed to often in a short time with Windows Vista, which led to people staying on Win XP and then Win8 which led to so many still using Windows 7.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3070

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2017, 10:34:32 PM

Thats why i'll stick to windows 7, it might be outdated, but it is still, in my belief, the best windows out there. It is simplistic, good-looking, and has all the functions which are needed.

At least until Jan 14, 2020.   Wink

That's when MS is going to stop issuing security updates, so your box will because less secure with each passing day.

Windows 10 isn't that bad.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3780
Merit: 1372

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 10:39:19 PM

Windows 10 works for me. I installed one of the later versions of it on one of my computers, and blocked the updates, and it is working fine.

Cool

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
bohr

Activity: 994
Merit: 257

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 11:40:04 PM

Exactly, Windows 8 is absolutely horrible, without a classicshell you just can't use it, these tablet-nudget icons make me puke. With windows 10 they added back the desktop with all the icons, but they added alot of what i would classify as spyware, software for personalising ads etcetera. ( http://www.networkworld.com/article/2956574/microsoft-subnet/windows-10-privacy-spyware-settings-user-agreement.html )

You are correct, windows 7 right now is the best, but if you can move to Linux, there are many user friendly distributions, it is not like the old days, when installing your drivers was hard, now Linux distributions are very easy to use, and if you want to use an application from windows you can use wine or you could dual boot and keep a windows installation there.
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 01:12:06 AM

i have windows 10 on all my machines. i think it's great. stick the beacon anti spybot thing on it and you're fine.
ekin4

Activity: 663
Merit: 505

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 02:27:24 AM

Windows 7 is the best OS, they made wrong marketing moves. Windows 8 was disaster, Windows 10 might be good but it's not for older PC's.
TooQik

Activity: 337
Merit: 258

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 02:36:46 AM

Sticking with Windows 7 until I'm forced to upgrade. By that time I hope that Vulkan takes off with developers so I can move to a Linux based gaming system instead of being forced down the Microsoft DX12 path.
adidas

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Americans do it better

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 08:24:32 AM

Windows 10 is the best OS from Microsoft to date. We only need to disable the spying from Microsoft which is everywhere, everything you type there goes directly to servers of Microsoft so once it's disabled, Windows 10 becomes the best OS to date. I am satisfied from it and running it since it came out.

Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 09:39:55 AM

And an ugly UI with a lame gimmick "APP's" stuck on the desktop.
With forced updates and telemetry etc...

I will not use any MS product ever again.
Everything they do or get involved with is horrible bullshit.

I know some people who use Win 10 and they are idiots.
My Mom hates Windows 10..
she bought a PC with it and her words were "What the fuck is this shit ?"
She soon had Windows 7 installed by the man of the house. LOL

@OP
Yeah i heard this News recently too.

FUD first & ask questions later™
dcrdev

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 11:52:06 AM

Windows 10 would have been great if it were not for the spying, forced buy in to Bing/OneDrive ecosystem and the fact that the start menu is by default plagued by advertising; even on the Enterprise version of the OS, you've got the likes of candy crush being paraded through the menu. Yes all of the above can be rectified fairly easily, but it's more effort than I should have to put in; you can also be fairly certain that with every update there's something new that you have to tame.

That's why I moved to Linux on the desktop after Windows 10 came out, after years of using it as a server operating system. On the desktop it's not as polished as Windows, there are things that it can't do - but at least I have complete control over everything.
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 10:06:36 PM
Last edit: February 14, 2017, 11:41:27 PM by Spoetnik

There is more to it than spying guys.

For one thing many of us think Windows 7 looks nicer.
And stuff like a prompt to setup or log into an email to get on your OS ?
Uhmm no thanks.

My primary complaint has always been about the OS doing what i need and want from it.
I have 0 interest in Cortana.. start screen crap and gay little app's or being spied on or forced updates etc.
And the butt ugly UI  Roll Eyes
EDIT: Start Menu advertising.

So what does that mean for me ?

It means i have far faaaar more modding to do with a fresh install of Windows 10.
Unlike most of you that are served garbage and like it.. as is.

First thing i do when i install windows 7 is mod a ton of crap from services to UI elements.
I add my own custom hacks such as an XP style quick launch and custom theme stuff.
So for windows 10 it means there is less customization options and far more work to do
..to get it how I want it ..the end user who is stuck using it !

I hear fanboys say it's great.. yeah, for YOU !
And out of box.
I don't do OOB ..no thanks.
I also don't want to bend over backwards undoing a huge pile of crap they did that to me was a regression and not an upgrade or improvement.

MS has had a long track record of fumbling around changing things radically pissing people off.
I got banned back when the Win8 start menu drama was going down on Neowin.net..
I posted stuff like this comment and i was perma-banned for "Trolling"
I heard all the users chant it's not coming back so shut up.. then it came back ROFL  Cheesy
Bit late i was banned as a troll.
If i was a troll then why did they put it back ?

Customer is always right ?
MS does what ever it wants and many of you defending Win 10 now will be bitching about MS in years about how they changed the stuff they added now.
Seems to be a younger generation willing to accept non stop radical changes.. they seem to relish in it all.

I used to be a beta / alpha tester back in the day and after WIn7 i just couldn't do it anymore.
MS has little Millennial brat monkey's at the helm throwing shit at the wall hoping something will stick because they are slipping in popularity.
And fortunately for them there are contrarians and brats looking for a cause to fight for online.
A ready made group who are waiting for a cause to defend and fight for and WIN10 serves it to them.
The type of clueless little shits that want to be edgy and are are worried about what others think etc.
Kids should not be in charge of the direction and functionality of my OS.
I was using a computer before most of them were even born.

Why do i give two shits what little kids think of Windows ?
Where were you when Windows 95 came out ? In Diapers shitting your pants ?

Windows 10 is a continuation of the pandering to a specific demographic.
Rather than adding customization they are hard at work stripping it away.
The days of Windows being a focus to the modders and overclockers etc from the early 2000's are long gone.
Back in the day WE were the demographic.. now companies want to snag the large crowd of less intelligent users for larger profits which creates pandering for money.

Plenty of people see what i see too... here is a random comment from someone.

Windows 10's inevitable failure goes well beyond the smartphone-oriented dumbed-down UI and "apps". How convenient that you're overlooking forced Windows Updates, forced Cortana integration, forced telemetry, major updates that can break the entire OS because they're equivalent to an upgrade install, advertising built into the OS, and a whole host of bugs, glitches, quirks and oddities.

FUD first & ask questions later™
Maskedman

Activity: 244

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 10:08:47 PM

Windows 10 is the worst OS ever with Windows 8. I have my battle-hardened Windows 7, that is very nice looking yet hard to break. Now that some idiots updated the true conoisseurs will not update and this rate will more or less stay the same.
Need Escrow Today

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 10:10:24 PM

I'm using windows 10 and it sucks, the updates are unable to disable unless I have to edit the regedit manually but it still alerts that you should download the updates and it's full of bugs

michaelch

Activity: 283

View Profile
February 19, 2017, 08:19:36 AM

Yeah I'm still using Windows 7. Don't see the need to upgrade at the moment, but will probably do so eventually.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: