Bitcoin Forum
May 18, 2024, 12:46:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows or Linux for Wallet Software?  (Read 6379 times)
Celsiuss

Activity: 266
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 03, 2017, 01:55:44 AM

Using a terminal may be easier than you think, especially in Linux. Get comfortable in it and you'll quickly learn how powerful it is.I'd recommend using Linux for your case. Even if you dislike the terminal and want to stick to GUI, that's no problem too in Linux. In general, a Linux OS is much more stable and reliable than Windows, there's no sketchy background processes and no automatic updates. Give it a shot Wink

who cares
drachman

Activity: 756
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 03, 2017, 02:38:33 AM

Using a terminal may be easier than you think, especially in Linux. Get comfortable in it and you'll quickly learn how powerful it is.I'd recommend using Linux for your case. Even if you dislike the terminal and want to stick to GUI, that's no problem too in Linux. In general, a Linux OS is much more stable and reliable than Windows, there's no sketchy background processes and no automatic updates. Give it a shot Wink
This is true, but I have noticed that Linux has problems running in some laptops and weird bugs appear so if the laptop is compatible I will recommend Linux but if it is not then I will recommended windows instead.
Remainder

Activity: 950
Merit: 517

View Profile
June 03, 2017, 03:13:42 AM

for me I go for a Linux OS for a software wallet.
but in my research on bitcoin wallet I found out that these is not recommended for a better wallet for some issues in personal hardware like pc or laptop because this hardware can easily be stolen, hacked or even damage instantly.
27QVUTZj8rgZP1

Activity: 152

View Profile
June 03, 2017, 09:16:30 PM

however, i've seen some dev's publishing the windows binary long before publising the linux binary...
That is very common, usually in the download section for most things you will find:

Download link for Windows: A compiled, ready to run package with binaries, sometimes even an installer. Just unpack and run.

Download link for Linux: Source code package for compilation that requires specific knowledge

It is frustrating sometimes, especially when you don't know how to compile or dependencies are missing and there is no information available.

Windows or Linux for Wallet Software?
If you can afford the problems, take your time to learn how to compile things in Linux, then go Linux.

If you can afford the extra cost of Windows, and you are satisfied with it then go Windows.

I'm Linux user myself, and I can tell you it is pretty frustrating when you want to run a program and it does not compile and they have it as an installer for the Windows and/or Mac.

Note to developers: Please explain what are the dependencies of your program detailed, accurately. What is used to compile and all. PLEASE!

Bitcoin address: 1RepentJESUSisComingSoon777kqd54C

And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work. - Revelation 22:12
rngkll

Activity: 154

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 10:25:45 AM

Linux for every aspect: security, ease of installation and future-proof.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: