Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:15:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I think I might have had my BTC stolen? Really need advice  (Read 3181 times)
sammoocow (OP)

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 05:35:16 PM

Today I called Burlington Telecom's abuse line and I was informed that they need a subpoena to give any information about the person. Is it worth going to the police? Would they do anything?
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sammoocow (OP)

Activity: 36

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 05:39:26 PM

http://groups.google.com/group/news.admin.net-abuse.email/browse_thread/thread/d115cac84c243634/4c99c06553bf84b0

The IP address is in that list. But I'm not exactly sure what that means. Was the person who stole from me most likely using Tor?
silverback

Activity: 32

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 06:15:13 PM

I thought my password was secure, but I guess not.

I am contacting Burlington Telecom right now but they don't seem that legit to me... This sucks.

EDIT: Wow, what a strange website. Do those open ports mean anything to my situation?

Sorry about your loss. I know this doesn't help now, but here is my two cents.

This was  not a brute force attack against google. It would be impossible to hack you that way, so your password must have been hacked or compromised. A lot of insecure web pages, like the Playstation network and Codemasters have been hacked recently. So change your gmail passwords if you used those services.

I never tried hacking gmail, but if I was going to try I'd probably start by using the password recovery service and tring to guess your answer. For example, if your security question is 'what is my favorite colour' I'd try red, blue, green etc until I got it right. Maybe I'd look you up on facebook for mother maiden name or child's name or whatever. I might also be able to guess your password like this, so don't use gf / child's name. And you need to be careful with those security questions.

The weakest point I'd guess is your PC. I am always worried about my PC's integrity. There are a lot of smart guys out there trying to hack into your PC, like those lulzsec dudes for example. So maybe take at least basic security precautions like using a virus scanner (microsoft security essentials is OK), a firewall and such like. Keep your PC patched up with auto updates and install Noscript if you use firefox.

These are just basic things everyone should do routinely. But there is still a chance of being hacked even if you are careful.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2011, 06:19:07 PM

At least this will do some good:

Waking people up from the delusion that Apple products have any other security value than the jails and chains for their customers.

And how is this theft related to the fact that the user has an Apple?  Was it a security flaw in the machine or an attack on gmail?

Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 06:26:02 PM

First thing you do when email compromised is changing email password.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: