Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:03:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 [321] 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 »
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox withdrawal delays [Gathering]  (Read 908379 times)
DrApricot

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 05:34:49 AM
Last edit: February 20, 2015, 09:55:02 AM by DrApricot

According to your explanation, someone in China must be sitting on a huge pile of stranded yuan that they got for selling their unpaid-for bitcoins extracted from Mt. Gox. If in fact this is where the monetary value of the missing bitcoins and dollar balances ended up, and said missing property fails to ever be restored to the Mt. Gox trustee, would this not constitute theft on the part of the CNY holder(s)? Assuming it is so, then it contradicts the Tokyo police claim that insider fraud was at the root of the Mt. Gox collapse and not mere theft. There is a rather fine line between theft and fraud, yet nevertheless this is probably one instance in which precise language would be preferable.

Note that is is not an "explanation", just a "theory".  Precise language is preferable.  Wink  Many others are possible, but this one seems more likely to me.

The boundaries of theft and fraud are kinda fuzzy, and they often overlap.  I could say that buying bitcoins from customers with non-existent money was fraud, taking possession of those coins was theft.

In that theory, the CNY from the sale of those coins may have been confiscated by the Chinese government, may be sitting in an account of a Chinese exchange, may have been withdrawn by Willy's owner or by an accomplice.  In the latter case, the money may be in possession of any person involved, in CNY or laundered into other currencies.

In that theory, at least one of the Chinese exchange managers must have been aware of the massive transfers from MtGOX.  However, at the time it probably looked legitimate arbitrage.  The fault was that the arbitrager stole the coins from MtGOX clients, instead of buying them with real dollars; and the Chinese need not have been aware of that.

From the perspective of the Chinese government, during Nov/2013 the amateur Chinese traders imported at least a million  totally unproductive pieces of nothing, without going through customs, and were about to pay the equivalent of half a billion dollars or more in CNY to foreign sellers.  Obviously the PBoC must have been extremely unhappy about that.  So, in my mind it is not unlikely that one of the goals of the December decrees was to block this sizable leak in their national trade balance and prevent that pile of CNY from leaving the country.

I find your theory quite compelling. If so, we are dealing with the actions of a state with some possible diplomatic ramifications. If true, then this could help to make it entirely clear why there has been such an atmosphere of secrecy surrounding the Mt. Gox bankruptcy proceedings, as noted by Kolin Burgess in his report on the second creditors' meeting. Perhaps the Mt. Gox creditors should be trying to work through diplomatic channels in order to get back their bitcoins. It's possible the Japanese government more or less can't even lift a finger in this situation without making "waves."

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitcoinvest
Legendary

Activity: 1124
Merit: 1000

13eJ4feC39JzbdY2K9W3ytQzWhunsxL83X

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 10:38:29 AM

have you read about buying 1 gox btc at 0.11 btc?  https://bitcoinbuilder.com/

what do they know that we don't?
they say they expect distribution until September.. so they have inside information?
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 11:07:57 AM

they say they expect distribution until September.. so they have inside information?

It's only for the GoxBTC already on their site. With the main site down you can't transfer GoxBTC to other accounts anymore. They know how many GoxBTC they have on their site which helps to calculate their risk. IIRC, the numbers commonly thrown around (800'000 missing / 200'000 found mysteriously) would indicate that 1 GoxBTC ~ 0.25 BTC. So they take a gamble at that.

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
macsga
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1002

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 03:03:49 PM

It's only for the GoxBTC already on their site. With the main site down you can't transfer GoxBTC to other accounts anymore. They know how many GoxBTC they have on their site which helps to calculate their risk. IIRC, the numbers commonly thrown around (800'000 missing / 200'000 found mysteriously) would indicate that 1 GoxBTC ~ 0.25 BTC. So they take a gamble at that.

This is based on wishful thinking for the moment. Too many things at stake for someone to "invest" into some of this. But it's a free market I suppose...

Chaos could be a form of intelligence we cannot yet understand its complexity.
Newar
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 03:15:04 PM

This is based on wishful thinking for the moment. Too many things at stake for someone to "invest" into some of this. But it's a free market I suppose...

No one can invest in anything at bitcoinbuilder any more. It's just a gamble between those who have GoxBTC there already and the site operator.

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
macsga
Legendary

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 03:21:07 PM

have you read about buying 1 gox btc at 0.11 btc?  https://bitcoinbuilder.com/

No one can invest in anything at bitcoinbuilder any more. It's just a gamble between those who have GoxBTC there already and the site operator.

Understood. My point is if someone (ie: John Doe) has GoxBTC, what are the chances he ends up with REAL BTCs under these circumstances. I'm not talking about outsiders; just insiders (and the site owner). It's all about trust and good will (that everything goes OK)... or not...

Newar
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 03:32:49 PM

Understood. My point is if someone (ie: John Doe) has GoxBTC, what are the chances he ends up with REAL BTCs under these circumstances. I'm not talking about outsiders; just insiders (and the site owner). It's all about trust and good will (that everything goes OK)... or not...

I'm not 100% sure what you trying to say. My understanding was that bitoinbuilder pays BTC for GoxBTc right on the spot.

macsga
Legendary

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 03:35:09 PM

I'm not 100% sure what you trying to say. My understanding was that bitoinbuilder pays BTC for GoxBTc right on the spot.

As I have lack of information, I will believe what you're saying. I thought that if someone possesses some GOXBTCs there, he'll be able to withdraw them WHEN and IF MtGOX distribute theirs. But, as I said; I don't know the details.

Newar
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 03:54:54 PM

As I have lack of information, I will believe what you're saying. I thought that if someone possesses some GOXBTCs there, he'll be able to withdraw them WHEN and IF MtGOX distribute theirs. But, as I said; I don't know the details.

I don't have GoxBTC there so can't test. However during the tumble to 100 that's how it worked. Bitcoinbuilder was established because many people wanted out at the time and goxcoins could still be transferred between accounts. First this was done person to person and then bitcoinbuilder automated the process. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=459714.0

What has changed in the meanwhile is that bitcoinbuilder themselves are buying the GoxBTC: The announcement email @bitcoinvest was on about was pasted here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=486142.msg10527910#msg10527910

Builder's Back
Get .11 BTC per GOXBTC.

Heya!

I know it's been a long time since you've heard anything from Bitcoin Builder, but I promise... a lot has been going on behind the scenes!

We've re-launched as a "Bitcoin Exchange Aggregator" that pulls in the best prices from multiple exchanges and allows you to trade without fee.

But more importantly, from now through February 24th, 2015, we are offering the option to sell the GOXBTC you have "locked" in Mt. Gox to us at the rate of .11 BTC per GOXBTC.

Just based on public information, we of course expect the value of a GOXBTC to be higher than this when the claims process is complete. We also expect distributions perhaps by September or even earlier.

However, if you would like to get some liquidity now and remove some potential risk, simply visit https://bitcoinbuilder.com/sellgox to take us up on our offer.

You will be able to trade or withdraw your BTC immediately after being verified and agreeing to the Assignment of Claim.

If you'd rather not sell, do nothing, and whenever any Mt. Gox bankruptcy funds are distributed to Bitcoin Builder, your account will automatically be credited with whatever your portion turned out to be worth at that time.

To check it all out, just visit Bitcoin Builder:
https://bitcoinbuilder.com

Thanks,
Josh Jones
Founder, Bitcoin Builder, Inc.

cafminer1

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 09:36:15 PM

IMHO, one year ago, Josh Jones (CEO and Founder Bitcoin Builder, Inc.) trusted MtGox would recover somehow and accepted buying GoxBTC with real BTC at a price, thus offering a way out of Gox for the (desperate?) people. Of course that would make no sense if GoxBTC was to completely evaporate. Some, like me for a few BTC, also bet that way.

The simple thing to me now is Josh again thinks GoxBTC can somehow recover from the present zero. From inside information or just as another bet, he must be trying that again.

I would not be so optimistic as to think 200K/800K = 0.25 BTC per GoxBTC (for there will be a lot of money spent with lawyers, experts, theft, etc.), but that s a number, why not. On the other hand, with current BTC value, maybe a lot more can come out. I would not exclude 100% recovering of BTCs @ the present 200-250 USD range.

For Josh, when BTC was around 1000 USD, GoxBTC went down to around 100 USD, so 0.1 rate. Now, at 0.1 BTC per GoxBTX it is again 0.1, what makes 1 cent of original BTC per GoxBTC, what is not bad. Wink And of course Bitcoin Builder got trade commissions as well at that time.

Finally, about withdrawal etc, for what I know about Bitcoin Builder, I bet yes, it is probably instant cash for those wanting to sell BitcoinBuilder-GoxBTCs. Just a feeling, but I trust them.
DrApricot

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 12:11:05 AM

IMHO, one year ago, Josh Jones (CEO and Founder Bitcoin Builder, Inc.) trusted MtGox would recover somehow and accepted buying GoxBTC with real BTC at a price, thus offering a way out of Gox for the (desperate?) people.
I read somewhere that bitcoinbuilder is the largest Mt. Gox creditor in California. Maybe that's why Josh has been clued in. It may indicate that the trustee is negotiating deals with the largest creditors. That's only a guess, but seems logical.
Kava_Kauboi

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 09:46:46 PM

I haven't heard a thing from anyone about Gox. It would be nice to get something back one day but I'm not holding my breath.
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2015, 06:39:48 AM

IMHO, one year ago, Josh Jones (CEO and Founder Bitcoin Builder, Inc.) trusted MtGox would recover somehow and accepted buying GoxBTC with real BTC at a price, thus offering a way out of Gox for the (desperate?) people.
I read somewhere that bitcoinbuilder is the largest Mt. Gox creditor in California. Maybe that's why Josh has been clued in. It may indicate that the trustee is negotiating deals with the largest creditors. That's only a guess, but seems logical.

That wouldn't suprise me.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
DrApricot

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 05:19:15 PM
Last edit: February 28, 2015, 08:39:53 PM by DrApricot

That wouldn't suprise me.
Wink wink nudge nudge. Kobayashi would tell you all about it, but he doesn't want to break his NDA.

It'S aul Good-man sez:

"As they say in Silicon Valley, 'It's not a bug, it's a feature.'

Ever hear of a bargaining chip? Well, what we have here is the mother of all bargaining chips!"
Amitabh S
Legendary

Activity: 1001
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 04:54:50 PM

Although I have nothing against bitcoinbuilder, I have stopped trusting anyone named "Josh".

Coinsecure referral ID: https://coinsecure.in/signup/refamit (use this link to signup)
macsga
Legendary

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 09:42:17 PM

Although I have nothing against bitcoinbuilder, I have stopped trusting anyone named "Josh".
Yeah, me too... since BFL deliveries went 1 year back from expected time. Undecided

bitcoinvest
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 03:57:38 PM

it's been a long time with no updates....
or did miss something?? still nothing on their website and nothing in the news...
when are we going to learn the truth and of course get our bitcoins back?
DrApricot

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 06:17:40 PM
Last edit: March 15, 2015, 07:02:11 PM by DrApricot

According to your explanation [theory], someone in China must be sitting on a huge pile of stranded yuan that they got for selling their unpaid-for bitcoins extracted from Mt. Gox.

Note that is is not an "explanation", just a "theory".  Precise language is preferable.  Wink  Many others are possible, but this one seems more likely to me.

The boundaries of theft and fraud are kinda fuzzy, and they often overlap.  I could say that buying bitcoins from customers with non-existent money was fraud, taking possession of those coins was theft.

In that theory, the CNY from the sale of those coins may have been confiscated by the Chinese government, may be sitting in an account of a Chinese exchange, may have been withdrawn by Willy's owner or by an accomplice.  In the latter case, the money may be in possession of any person involved, in CNY or laundered into other currencies.

In that theory, at least one of the Chinese exchange managers must have been aware of the massive transfers from MtGOX.  However, at the time it probably looked legitimate arbitrage.  The fault was that the arbitrager stole the coins from MtGOX clients, instead of buying them with real dollars; and the Chinese need not have been aware of that.

From the perspective of the Chinese government, during Nov/2013 the amateur Chinese traders imported at least a million  totally unproductive pieces of nothing, without going through customs, and were about to pay the equivalent of half a billion dollars or more in CNY to foreign sellers.  Obviously the PBoC must have been extremely unhappy about that.  So, in my mind it is not unlikely that one of the goals of the December decrees was to block this sizable leak in their national trade balance and prevent that pile of CNY from leaving the country.
I find your theory quite compelling. If so, we are dealing with the actions of a state with some possible diplomatic ramifications.
See "Beijing has a bitcoin problem on its hands" http://www.scmp.com/business/article/1735594/beijing-has-bitcoin-problem-its-hands
In a new report, Goldman Sachs says the yuan is now used in 80 per cent of transactions into and out of the cyber currency, topping the US dollar, yen and euro. Given that the Communist Party’s highest priority is stability, and the rampant use of bitcoin represents nothing if not the opposite, it’s probably only a matter of time until Beijing tries to crack down.
This article definitely lends a bit of support to what you've been saying. I suppose the creditors' could simply ask Kobayashi directly if their money has been held up by the Chinese government. He might not give an answer, but at least the question would be out there. The hacker attack/transaction malleability one seems like a weaker and weaker explanation by the day for the Mt. Gox collapse. In fact, it has been directly refuted by the Tokyo police who have blamed it on insider fraud.
macsga
Legendary

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 06:53:24 PM

^^
Interesting theory. What's even more interesting though is that the process has been stalled for quite sometime now. No announcements, no assurances, no explanation whatsoever. The most significant part of the story so far is, that ONE YEAR LATER nobody can say for sure, WTF happened. Period. Roll Eyes

bitcoinvest
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 07:32:16 PM

I don't agree with you that one year later nobady can say for sure....
in fact, days after hacker attack/transaction malleability news from Mark ALL the community and experts denied and one year later we had those news from Tokyo police that also said it was an inside job. The newspaper (if i remember well was the newspaper or an online article ) wrote that after the news in 2-3 days would post more about the case... but nothing happened since... it's clear from this point of view that someone is covering the hole case.

Let's not forget about that!
And also we have to have some news from Kraken side right?

by the way very nice article....
http://www.scmp.com/business/article/1735594/beijing-has-bitcoin-problem-its-hands
Pages: « 1 ... 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 [321] 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 »
  Print  

Jump to: