Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:53:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 [200] 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 ... 348 »
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox withdrawal delays [Gathering]  (Read 908344 times)
zyk

Activity: 224
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 12:38:45 AM

Mt. Gox is paying out ?   to widows and orphans?   Mr. Bitcoin Market is an complete idiot as always !

first paying 27 % premium for Gox -BTC you couldn´t even withdraw and now he offers a 27 % discount

against Bitstamp Btc....even as they are not to be withdrawn  as well.........when counting their wallets

in the next 72 hours there might be nothing to count anymore Wink

Cheers

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
itsunderstood

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

American1973

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 01:18:19 AM

Mt. Gox is paying out ?   to widows and orphans?   Mr. Bitcoin Market is an complete idiot as always !

first paying 27 % premium for Gox -BTC you couldn´t even withdraw and now he offers a 27 % discount

against Bitstamp Btc....even as they are not to be withdrawn  as well.........when counting their wallets

in the next 72 hours there might be nothing to count anymore Wink

Cheers

No, because its each exchanges' internal accounting which "strays" from the blockchain, so to speak.  So, they can adjust accordingly, and yes, as Goxies are saying, it takes time.  Many people are having success?  It's just limited for the moment like a dragster or a tank, on the lift, because it has a knock in the engine, but the guns are fine.

How does a carpenter sound a ship?  He hammers on it.  He finds the weak points.  So, the blockchain of BTC is being fixed in such terms.  So, as long as SOMEONE maintains the perfect step in regards to the blockchain and the principles of the satoshi spirit, then the machine rolls forward.

Even after nuke war, people will keep the blockchains going.  The only way to run a good exchange is to be honorable, but stealing the SR wallets was as shitty as in that film Pulp Fiction.  You do not steal wallets, that is bad form.  So, a lot of this recent bs is attached to afghan wars, etc, societies, etc, blah blah blah.  So, be patient.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5OHrQYwRac

Check out my prescient ATS thread from 2008: "Windows XP: End the Cyberwar, Open the Code Now!" http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread411978/pg1
zyk

Activity: 224
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 02:35:18 AM

What about those Fiat withdrawls out of the rolling honey -pot tank......?

Nobody got anything in the meantime not even after 6 weeks delay just as those guns work normal...as a

Gay-Boucherie surely implies.. Wink ?
itsunderstood

Activity: 364

American1973

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 04:41:27 AM

What about those Fiat withdrawls out of the rolling honey -pot tank......?

Nobody got anything in the meantime not even after 6 weeks delay just as those guns work normal...as a

Gay-Boucherie surely implies.. Wink ?

You are right, in that it is unfair that some get to trade, as others do not.  Myself, I use neither kraken nor gox, but kraken is looking good right about now.  But yeah, you are right of course.  Wink

Check out my prescient ATS thread from 2008: "Windows XP: End the Cyberwar, Open the Code Now!" http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread411978/pg1
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2014, 08:23:39 AM

The official client is fixed already. https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/1bbca24
Yes, although "spend unconfirmed change" is ON by default, so the fix is ineffective by default. That probably should become OFF in a later release.
sturle
Legendary

Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002

https://bitmynt.no

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2014, 09:19:37 AM

They do not claim the bug is "hereto unnoticed".  They even claim it is a known design issue.
Yes, I see that now. Even so, this looks to have been addressed in almost every other client/service, and the fact they left it until their withdrawals were crippled to do something about it just seems like laziness.
"Unanticipated bugs don’t come with year-old wiki pages fully documenting them. Gox is full of shit"
"There’s no “new bug". This has been known since 2011 and only incompetent bunch of clowns would based withdrawal refunds on it"
"If Bitcoin Foundation’s mission is to promote bitcoin, then Karpeles should resign or be kicked out for violating mission"

more gold at https://twitter.com/aantonop
"Somebody (or several somebodies) is taking advantage of the transaction malleability issue and relaying mutated versions of transactions. This is exposing bugs in both the reference implementation and some exchange’s software."

"Users of the reference implementation who are bitten by this bug may see their bitcoins “tied up” in unconfirmed transactions; we need to update the software to fix that bug, so when they upgrade those coins are returned to the wallet and are available to spend again."

"As a result, exchanges are temporarily suspending withdrawals to protect customer funds and prevent funds from being misdirected."

More gold at https://bitcoinfoundation.org/blog/?p=422

I expect this joke under the alias "aantonop" to demand Gavin's resignation from the Bitcoin Foundation as well.  Because the only competent non-clown in Bitcoin is obviously aantonop!  ROFL!

Sjå https://bitmynt.no for veksling av bitcoin mot norske kroner.  Trygt, billig, raskt og enkelt sidan 2010.
I buy with EUR and other currencies at a fair market price when you want to sell.  See http://bitmynt.no/eurprice.pl
Warning: "Bitcoin" XT, Classic, Unlimited and the likes are scams. Don't use them, and don't listen to their shills.
sturle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2014, 09:35:48 AM

But complaining at MtGox will make it get fixed faster.  Of course.

As long as MtGox was the only one affected by this, people spent their time complaining about MtGox.  Now when they finally see what he issue is, they finally start eating their words and fixing their s**t.  And I hear a lot less complaining about MtGox now that all major exchanges have halted BTC withdrawals.  Even those who previously claimed they were immune (e.g. BTC-E).

The official client is fixed already. https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/1bbca24
This is only a workaround for a part of the problem, it doesn't fix it.  Even with this option on the client will spend one-confirmation outputs, which will break again in case of a reorg of one block.  A fix would e.g. use another unique ID, independent of the txid, for internal accounting, notice when a txid has changed for a transaction, and resend transactions which depend on the changed txid.

This prevents the current DDOS which is currently affecting Bitstamp
No, it doesn't.  It is just some tape to hold it better together and make it happen less frequently.

- which is a DIFFERENT issue. MtGox's problem is that they get transactions rejected because they don't format them properly:
Mallable transactions is not their biggest problem, sending broken transactions is.
Nope.  Wouldn't make much difference.  Their problem is treating the txid as if the confirmed txid for a transaction will be identical to the txid of the transaction they sent.  And this, incidentally, is the cause of Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind failure as well.  A broken transaction (in that the signature won't get accepted by clients version 0.8 and above) just make the exploit easier because the attacker has more time.

You are basically spreading FUD. Your story is that everyone else has mtgoxproblems.gif because someone decided to do a ddos on the bitcoin network today - except that's simply not true. There is a difference between a bug which displays your balance incorrectly until you rescan your wallet and sending someone withdraws twice.
The problem is the same (change of txid confuses clients), the consequences differs between implementations.

Sjå https://bitmynt.no for veksling av bitcoin mot norske kroner.  Trygt, billig, raskt og enkelt sidan 2010.
I buy with EUR and other currencies at a fair market price when you want to sell.  See http://bitmynt.no/eurprice.pl
Warning: "Bitcoin" XT, Classic, Unlimited and the likes are scams. Don't use them, and don't listen to their shills.
happygeorge

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

In da Jungle!

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 10:07:32 AM

Okay, all this cruddy crap and negative news because of MtGox... doesn't just make you want to start a contest to see who can make the best "Screw MtGox" video or something?

Perhaps something on Fiverr.... ? Smiley  Okay, I am not here to advertise Fiverr, I just noticed they are accepting bitcoins, and so I started a month long contest thread!

please take 30 seconds, and see if you agree, and perhaps try winning 10x your investment! 

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=461507

You can win $50 for a $5 fun "investment" Grin

donk4u
Legendary

Activity: 889

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 12:35:00 PM

But complaining at MtGox will make it get fixed faster.  Of course.

As long as MtGox was the only one affected by this, people spent their time complaining about MtGox.  Now when they finally see what he issue is, they finally start eating their words and fixing their s**t.  And I hear a lot less complaining about MtGox now that all major exchanges have halted BTC withdrawals.  Even those who previously claimed they were immune (e.g. BTC-E).

This prevents the current DDOS which is currently affecting Bitstamp - which is a DIFFERENT issue. MtGox's problem is that they get transactions rejected because they don't format them properly:

http://falkvinge.net/2014/02/11/the-embarrassing-fact-mtgox-left-out-of-their-press-release/

Mallable transactions is not their biggest problem, sending broken transactions is.

You are basically spreading FUD. Your story is that everyone else has mtgoxproblems.gif because someone decided to do a ddos on the bitcoin network today - except that's simply not true. There is a difference between a bug which displays your balance incorrectly until you rescan your wallet and sending someone withdraws twice.

Everyone plus oneing the guy who is snapping up players funds at .50 on 1 dollar like a theif in the night because of how knowledgeable on gox he is meanwhile he dosen't know the difference between a denial of service attack and  gox reason for  trapping stealing its customers money.

So the problem of malleability remained at MtGox, while having been fixed in the rest of the world. This – the discrepancy itself – was the root cause of the problem, because it meant that MtGox started issuing invalid transaction records for bitcoin withdrawals. Obviously, they were rejected by the bitcoin network.

The above is what happened at gox no other legitamate site sent withdrawls that had invalid transaction records and would obviously get stuck.
BitPaulo

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 01:24:14 PM

Any educated guess on when Gox will allow withdraw of BTCs again (assuming it will happen)?

are we talking about days, weeks or months?

TwinWinNerD
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2014, 01:33:24 PM

Any educated guess on when Gox will allow withdraw of BTCs again (assuming it will happen)?

if ever then weeks.

donk4u
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 01:34:40 PM

if ever then weeks.

Im guessing never and if gox opens withdrawls to wallets I am guessing they will do it only if bitcoin crashes to 50 or 100 usd. The good news is they will in the interim let people like plus one man trade at .50 on the dollar though for anyone that has large amounts of bitcoins stuck
pedro82

Activity: 91

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 01:36:57 PM
Last edit: February 12, 2014, 01:53:24 PM by pedro82

I would add withdraws in general ... are they processing any kind of withdraw Huh can any one confirm fiat transfers these days ?
sturle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2014, 02:22:01 PM

I don't like making guesses, so I'll let you all interpret this for yourselves:

Quote from: MagicalTux in #mtgox
04:05 <@MagicalTux> [12:05:05] <x> MagicalTux: would you consider a work around for manual bitcoin withdrawal if you can't get that consensus in a 'reasonable timeframe'   ie, the next week <- establishing a standard shouldn't take that long, but if indeed it takes longer we might just go on with the proposal we included in the announcement we did monday

Other news which may influence how you plan your BTC purchases when the BTC withdrawal floodgates open:
Quote from: SarahCoinBit in #mtgox
11:57 <@SarahCoinBit> Diabolicus_Work I've had more requests to cancel fiat withdrawals in the last two days than i have in the last two months
I.e: The amount of fiat on MtGox is increasing rapidly.

Think about this for a moment: If I made up a fake quote here where MagicalTux allegedly told me in private that MtGox would resume BTC withdrawals tomorrow morning, I could make a million by buying buckets of BTC on MtGox just before I posted it, and selling as soon as people start denouncing it as a fake.  Just by abusing your trust in me.  It will probably only work once, but that is all I need.  I can retire afterwards.  Always beware of market manipulation.  And note that my quotes above, which are correct, may be carefully selected and placed in a different context to manipulate the market.  Always be very critical to news and reports when you don't have the full story first hand, and take speculation for what it is: 100% made up, often for the purpose of manipulating the market.

BitPaulo

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 02:26:25 PM

if ever then weeks.

Im guessing never and if gox opens withdrawls to wallets I am guessing they will do it only if bitcoin crashes to 50 or 100 usd. The good news is they will in the interim let people like plus one man trade at .50 on the dollar though for anyone that has large amounts of bitcoins stuck

Is it possible for them to allow BTC withdraws once the price crashes to 50 or 100USD? how would that work?

donk4u
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 02:30:10 PM

if ever then weeks.

Is it possible for them to allow BTC withdraws once the price crashes to 50 or 100USD? how would that work?

They probably have that much to cover the bankrun and once hits that low would miraculesly find fix to problem that dosen't exist. Bitcoin will prob not drop that low though so doubt that will happen unless another bitcoin exchange tanks or few more bad news postings  like bitinstant owner arrest etc.
BitPaulo

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 02:33:26 PM

04:05 <@MagicalTux> [12:05:05] <x> MagicalTux: would you consider a work around for manual bitcoin withdrawal if you can't get that consensus in a 'reasonable timeframe'   ie, the next week <- establishing a standard shouldn't take that long, but if indeed it takes longer we might just go on with the proposal we included in the announcement we did monday

Other news which may influence how you plan your BTC purchases when the BTC withdrawal floodgates open:
11:57 <@SarahCoinBit> Diabolicus_Work I've had more requests to cancel fiat withdrawals in the last two days than i have in the last two months

Think about this for a moment: If I made up a fake quote here where MagicalTux allegedly told me in private that MtGox would resume BTC withdrawals tomorrow morning, I could make a million by buying buckets of BTC on MtGox just before I posted it, and selling as soon as people start denouncing it as a fake.  Just by abusing your trust in me.  It will probably only work once, but that is all I need.  I can retire afterwards.  Always beware of market manipulation.  And note that my quotes above, which are correct, may be carefully selected and placed in a different context to manipulate the market.  Always be very critical to news and reports when you don't have the full story first hand, and take speculation for what it is: 100% made up, often for the purpose of manipulating the market.

thanks for the info.

As indicated by the forum, I am a newbie (quite accurate), so this follow up question may seem obvious for many people but not to me:
where did you get this info? are you in direct contact with Gox (i.e. IRC or something similar)?

and if so, how can other people can contact Gox staff?
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1017

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 02:34:56 PM

Reality check: You are overestimating the influence of this forum/thread on the market. If you made up a fake quote by MagicalTux most people would look for an official/more reliable confirmation, and in the meanwhile the price wouldn't do shit.

alfabitcoin

Activity: 476

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 02:39:32 PM
Last edit: February 12, 2014, 02:59:07 PM by alfabitcoin

Guys, its simple, register on irc and go to the #mtgox channel, there you can find "fresh" information whatever that info migt be.
There are also chat logs on pastebin - have fun.

Bitcoin dev irc.      #bitcoin-dev

@sturle
Have you got back your btc credited back from bitstamp. You complain because they marked it as finished. Tell me how mtgox marked all those stuck transaction? Any different? No they were marked as processed. But with major difference - transaction were in limbo for weeks and none could trade with it! Furher, how long you waited for mtgox to credit back your btc?

Beside, your explanation of wrong address what mtgox had a while ago what you interupt as empty wallet happened only once, while you want to convice others how there was many other ways to withdraw funds out of mtgox faster. What are other ways what worked for you except that mentioned above?

Edit
I only see you complaining not having btc back from bitstamp nobody else.
donk4u
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 02:41:19 PM

04:05 <@MagicalTux> [12:05:05] <x> MagicalTux: would you consider a work around for manual bitcoin withdrawal if you can't get that consensus in a 'reasonable timeframe'   ie, the next week <- establishing a standard shouldn't take that long, but if indeed it takes longer we might just go on with the proposal we included in the announcement we did monday

Think about this for a moment: If I made up a fake quote here where MagicalTux allegedly told me in private that MtGox would resume BTC withdrawals tomorrow morning, I could make a million by buying buckets of BTC on MtGox just before I posted it, and selling as soon as people start denouncing it as a fake.  Just by abusing your trust in me.  It will probably only work once, but that is all I need.  I can retire afterwards.  Always beware of market manipulation.  And note that my quotes above, which are correct, may be carefully selected and placed in a different context to manipulate the market.  Always be very critical to news and reports when you don't have the full story first hand, and take speculation for what it is: 100% made up, often for the purpose of manipulating the market.

thanks for the info.

As indicated by the forum, I am a newbie (quite accurate), so this follow up question may seem obvious for many people but not to me:
where did you get this info? are you in direct contact with Gox (i.e. IRC or something similar)?

and if so, how can other people can contact Gox staff?

by opening a ticket in mt gox support section however in 3 weeks i have received nothing but the same  copy paste email, I think a couple of people  in this thread claim they have direct access to gox support that others do not don't know validity of this off course.
Pages: « 1 ... 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 [200] 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 ... 348 »
  Print  

Jump to: