Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:18:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mentor Wanted  (Read 2632 times)
dg2010

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 10:39:08 AM

Day trading BTC is retarded because the exchanges are all incredibly basic and the information and tools slow, lagged and generally terrible. So it's mostly blind luck . That being said I have made back alot of coin the last few days, but i've also lost lots of coin day trading.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
scalper

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:11:59 AM

Day trading BTC is retarded because the exchanges are all incredibly basic and the information and tools slow, lagged and generally terrible. So it's mostly blind luck . That being said I have made back alot of coin the last few days, but i've also lost lots of coin day trading.

This is true but everyone has to deal with that. If you navigate those waters better than others, there is money to be made. There are distortions in the short-term price movement that don't occur in any other market and it's specifically due to these crappy exchanges handling all the orders.
Dr3AM$cAp3

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 03:41:23 PM

That's what I find to be the toughest aspect of daytrading bitcoins. It's a 24/7 currency. You can't force opportunity, it has to come to you... and sometimes the major breakouts occur when you're sleeping in the night.....you have to get out by watching the prices yourself.

This is why some of our eyes are burning like the seventh layer of hell right now.
But we're still reading! Cheesy

New to the game, too much to learn.
Smiley OD, sarcasm implied.
bitrider

Activity: 233
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 08:47:45 PM

Don't daytrade. You will lose money. Either you believe in BTC long term or you don't.

This is good advice. First, most day traders (and most traders for that matter) lose, and lose a lot. Including those who have studying for years. If you really want to learn it, bitcoin is not the market to start with. The exchanges are a joke right now and do not have the tools or liquidity you will need. You can learn trading, but it must be thought of as professional training that likely takes years to get consistently profitable. And you will pay in lots of ways for that education. I speak from experience.

If you want to play the long game because you see bitcoin as viable "venture capital (high-risk) investment" then probably the best path is dollar-cost averaging to get in, or just throw it in as someone else suggested. Then strap in and hold on tight. There are other ways to play the long game in a multi-year bull market that can potentially reduce your risk, but it is certainly not day trading.

Best of luck.
julius

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 09:08:18 AM

I would like to use this thread to ask a question.
In bitcoinity, what doesn't the price in big numbers match the price of the last trade (ie: the first trade in the column underneath). ? According to the field descriptions, they both should have the same value as they both are the prices of the last trade.
UKMark

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

Empty vessels make most noise.

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 09:27:27 AM

I would like to use this thread to ask a question.
In bitcoinity, what doesn't the price in big numbers match the price of the last trade (ie: the first trade in the column underneath). ? According to the field descriptions, they both should have the same value as they both are the prices of the last trade.

I find clarkmoody to give you a better idea of the current price/trades etc, as it seems to update more frequently - about as Live as I have seen it tbh, providing that there is no lag of course.

http://bitcoin.clarkmoody.com/

Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 12:55:26 PM

Here is my advise:
Keep an eye on the issues with BlockChain bloat/ 1mb limits and how it is/is not fixed.
Also keep an eye on how often clients are updated and how blindly people install the new updates.

You see lasting trouble there getting out of BTC may be a really good idea. Otherwise hold "forever".

As for day trading:
I'm not doing it, but it seems the best indicator is the press, how much, how positive etc.. Sell when its high, buy when its low.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
Chainsaw

Activity: 625
Merit: 501

x

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 02:59:02 PM

I shot you a message a few days back. If you're unfamiliar with the feature, it is available on the main tab, third from the right.

usagi
VIP

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 04:16:22 PM

Actually this feels more like the golden age of daytrading, only with oddly high per-trade fees and access to the order books and half-decent charting tools, and without the big money manipulator interests (although you can almost feel their hot breath on your neck). I give it a thumbs up, if you know what your doing you can really make out here. I'd like to see trading fees move to maker-taker which is more sensible than charging both sides, mtgox makes far too much for doing far too little. That's pretty much my only complaint.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 04:52:25 PM

Daytrading takes discipline. I followed the bitcoin exchange rate sporadically for 2.5 years before selling any. Selling a bitcoin is tough speculation, there are very few people in this world who have made money selling bitcoins. Most money is made by buying them.

I agree with some posters above, there are great opportunities for daytrading/swing trading constantly present. But skill is required. Today we watched the rally with my broker, and I had instructed him to sell BTC1,000 aggressively to the thinning volume followed by the turn in Bid/Ask ratio, before the price turns down, or immediately after it does. Then buy back at 61% fibonacci retracement with a limit order.

Although we were spot on (61% fibonacci from 13643-9500 is $111.16, which would have enabled us to buy back the position in 60-90 minutes after the sale at anything between 10-20% profit), the trade never materialized.

- My broker had been away for 15 minutes, just when it was starting to turn. If you work 40 hours per week, you miss 76% of the positions.
- The sell signal was not clear enough in the beginning.
- The volume was not there after it was clear enough.
- I called my broker when the fall was intensifying, distracting him
- I canceled the plan when we had already hit $124ish, because I deemed a 10% profit potential too small. From the hindsight, I made a mistake. Should have sold anyway.

So we made exactly BTC0 today. I forbad any additional trading, because when excited, you make mistakes. And excited we were after busting this one  Tongue

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
WishIStartedSooner

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 02:01:26 AM

posting so i can refer to this thread later. thanks everybody!
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: