Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:05:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How much wattage per outlet?  (Read 8933 times)
Swishercutter

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 04:15:36 PM

my circuit breaker is rated at 25amps.
How many amps will it be safe? I heard someone say 25 amp breaker doesn't mean it will handle 25amps continuously, rather, it means it can handle up to 25amps of instantaneous surge in power usage.

If by "safe" you mean "won't get tripped" then generally the I^n rating should be for continuous use.  I'll assume that you've got at least 14awg on that circuit to be "safe" in the "won't burn my house down" sense of the term. ;-)

Edit: To be on the safe side I'd go with #12 or #10 wire

I personally ran a 6ga 240v line for my rigs...overkill until I hit 15 rigs but the cost was not much higher.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cvicisso (OP)

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 04:19:21 PM

Grin  I guess there should be some sort of warning about trying to use MSI mobos with Ubuntu.

BTW - what mobos are people running Ubuntu on?  This board came HIGHLY recommended (from this site), and it seemed most folks here were using Linux (that could be an incorrect assumption).  Just planning ahead for the next rig... Wink
jgraham

Activity: 140

<Pretentious and poorly thought out latin phrase>

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:48:07 PM

Update: almost there...

Win XP installed without a hitch and is running like a champ.   Grin  I guess there should be some sort of warning about trying to use MSI mobos with Ubuntu.

Last (I hope) hurdle - GUIminer can't find an OpenCL device.  I ran the Catalyst Control Center and ensured all the latest drivers were installed, rebooted a few times, and sure enough - I can see OpenGL but no OpenCL (BTW - I have no idea what any of that means!).  So, I'm searching for a OpenCL fix - but feel like I'm a LOT closer to opening the mine for operations than I was last night! 

BTW - I have the ball-and-chain... I mean 'boss'  Wink out buying 68 Ohm resistors so that I can build some dummy VGA plugs and get the other two 6950s installed.

Any ideas on the OpenCL fix are very (very!) welcome.  I still don't have any BTCs (obviously) to reward with, but I feel now that it's just a matter of time...

Have you installed the APP SDK? http://developer.amd.com/sdks/amdappsdk/pages/default.aspx

I'm rather good with Linux.  If you're having problems with your mining rig I'll help you out remotely for 0.05.  You can also propose a flat-rate for some particular task.  PM me for details.
cvicisso (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 07:10:20 PM

I just tried (after reading your post.  It looks like it only supports Win 7.  I tried it anyway, and install failed on XP.   Angry
minerX

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 08:21:21 AM

I just tried (after reading your post.  It looks like it only supports Win 7.  I tried it anyway, and install failed on XP.   Angry

Did you try without PCI extender risers?   I just a 5 hour headache trying to fix a linux system when it turns out it was just the risers not working with a specific motherboard.  Pretty terrible as it has 7 PCI express slots.
cvicisso (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 03:35:40 AM

UPDATE: I threw in the Linux towel, bit the MS bullet and bought a copy of Win 7 (upgrade).  After quite a few more roadblocks (that I spared you all from reading about!  Grin), I'm proud to say that I'm up and running with GUIminer at around ~920MH/s.  That's with 3 x 6950s overclocked to max that CCC will allow.  Cooling is an issue - as someone pointed out before.  I have the side of the HAF X case removed and a 'room' fan blowing directly on those 3 little furnaces.  After MUCH playing around with the config, I have the cards spaced so that there is a 'gap' between all (three) of them (I don't have any risers).  The extra breathing room means no Crossfire - but I didn't see a huge difference with that running anyway.  Plus, with no gap/space between the cards temp QUICKLY pegged in the 90C range for the card with the 'blocked' cooler fan.   Currently, they're running around 80-83C (in the garage).  It is supposed to get hot (weather) this week - so we'll see what happens.

My next goal is to learn more about unlocking the shaders(?)... I would love to crack 1GH/s with this rig.  From what I've read, I should be able to, but right now I'm just happy that the thing is working.  Smiley
jgraham

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 03:56:34 AM

UPDATE: I threw in the Linux towel, bit the MS bullet and bought a copy of Win 7 (upgrade).  After quite a few more roadblocks (that I spared you all from reading about!  Grin), I'm proud to say that I'm up and running with GUIminer at around ~920MH/s.  That's with 3 x 6950s overclocked to max that CCC will allow.  Cooling is an issue - as someone pointed out before.  I have the side of the HAF X case removed and a 'room' fan blowing directly on those 3 little furnaces.  After MUCH playing around with the config, I have the cards spaced so that there is a 'gap' between all (three) of them (I don't have any risers).  The extra breathing room means no Crossfire - but I didn't see a huge difference with that running anyway.  Plus, with no gap/space between the cards temp QUICKLY pegged in the 90C range for the card with the 'blocked' cooler fan.   Currently, they're running around 80-83C (in the garage).  It is supposed to get hot (weather) this week - so we'll see what happens.

My next goal is to learn more about unlocking the shaders(?)... I would love to crack 1GH/s with this rig.  From what I've read, I should be able to, but right now I'm just happy that the thing is working.  Smiley
Great.  I have mine in the garage as well as it kind of sounds like a jet plane taking off.  Keep an eye on the thermals along with the ambient temp (I bought a cheap USB thermometer and track the ambient temp so I can see how well the internal temp tracks).

I'm rather good with Linux.  If you're having problems with your mining rig I'll help you out remotely for 0.05.  You can also propose a flat-rate for some particular task.  PM me for details.
Capitan

Activity: 112

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 07:29:24 AM

The 2.2tb infinity is so you can run drives over 2.2tb...turn it off in bios...set your primary boot device...if it is getting to bios I doubt the MOBO is bad (I had a bad MSI mobo that I had to rma and it did nothing on boot...just black screen).

I could be wrong but it appears to not be loading from your flash drive.
I had already turned it off and resequenced the boot sequence (USB is first now).  Still get these screens.

I have an MSI board. You can disable 2.2TB Infinity or whatever it's called. You can also disable the splash screen (which I have also done, so I don't see the MSI logo anymore).

How many video cards are hooked up? Does your motherboard have onboard video? Try these two things:

1. Boot up with only minimal amount of hardware plugged in. So remove all unnecessary video cards, and use the onboard video if that is available. Remove any USB devices, hubs, etc, except for the USB stick you are booting from.
2. Have you hooked up the proper power cables to all PCIe devices? And hooked up all the power cables to the motherboard? My MSI board has three different cables going from the PSU to the motherboard.
4. If you have a dvd drive, try burning a bootable OS install disk and boot from that drive (with all USB devices unplugged).
4. Try a different boot disk. One that is known to work on another system.
Swishercutter

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 10:54:49 AM

The 2.2tb infinity is so you can run drives over 2.2tb...turn it off in bios...set your primary boot device...if it is getting to bios I doubt the MOBO is bad (I had a bad MSI mobo that I had to rma and it did nothing on boot...just black screen).

I had already turned it off and resequenced the boot sequence (USB is first now).  Still get these screens.

I have an MSI board. You can disable 2.2TB Infinity or whatever it's called. You can also disable the splash screen (which I have also done, so I don't see the MSI logo anymore).

How many video cards are hooked up? Does your motherboard have onboard video? Try these two things:

1. Boot up with only minimal amount of hardware plugged in. So remove all unnecessary video cards, and use the onboard video if that is available. Remove any USB devices, hubs, etc, except for the USB stick you are booting from.
2. Have you hooked up the proper power cables to all PCIe devices? And hooked up all the power cables to the motherboard? My MSI board has three different cables going from the PSU to the motherboard.
4. If you have a dvd drive, try burning a bootable OS install disk and boot from that drive (with all USB devices unplugged).

On my AMD processor stuff I also disable the spread spectrum, cool and quiet and all power saving options.  Never had luck with any of that stuff running on my MSI mobos...I also had to tweak a few voltages here and there.
Capitan

Activity: 112

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 06:30:34 PM

On my AMD processor stuff I also disable the spread spectrum, cool and quiet and all power saving options.  Never had luck with any of that stuff running on my MSI mobos...I also had to tweak a few voltages here and there.

Sometimes during OS install the power saving features can cause quirks like Windows install running slow as molasses. But I think those features are generally good to enable after the OS is installed. Especially if you want to cut down on power usage for a mining system. No sense in having the CPU do more work than necessary. Undervolting and setting the frequency lower would help here as well.
jgraham

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 06:33:53 PM

Another vote for disabling spread spectrum.   IIRC this is a feature designed to reduce EMF but it's really not applicable to most environments.

Swishercutter

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 08:30:21 PM

Sometimes during OS install the power saving features can cause quirks like Windows install running slow as molasses. But I think those features are generally good to enable after the OS is installed. Especially if you want to cut down on power usage for a mining system. No sense in having the CPU do more work than necessary. Undervolting and setting the frequency lower would help here as well.

We use affinity to run only one of the cores during mining...for some reason when the power saving stuff was on we were having crashes...if you are stable with it on that is great...more power saved...if you are having crashes disable it before trying anything else.
cvicisso (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 01:11:59 AM

Oh God.  Just when I thought I had things finally working...

I've had two 'payments' from Slush's pool, but nothing has shown up in my Bitcoin application.  Yes - I restarted it.  What's going on?
AngelusWebDesign

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 05:56:12 AM

my circuit breaker is rated at 25amps.
How many amps will it be safe? I heard someone say 25 amp breaker doesn't mean it will handle 25amps continuously, rather, it means it can handle up to 25amps of instantaneous surge in power usage.

If by "safe" you mean "won't get tripped" then generally the I^n rating should be for continuous use.  I'll assume that you've got at least 14awg on that circuit to be "safe" in the "won't burn my house down" sense of the term. ;-)

Edit: To be on the safe side I'd go with #12 or #10 wire

I personally ran a 6ga 240v line for my rigs...overkill until I hit 15 rigs but the cost was not much higher.

Divide the wattage by 120 to see how many amps a given device is drawing. You want to keep it well under 15A -- especially for 24/7 use. You don't want your wires to get hot enough to start a fire...
Jazkal

Activity: 319

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 12:53:39 PM

This is what I'm looking at having to get done.

Could you give me a little more details?

1) What kind of rigs are you running on this? Wattage draw?
2) How much did it cost to get the 6ga 240v run?
3) Do you have any pictures of this posted anywhere?
4) If no pics, can you describe the setup, hardware wise?

Thanks
jgraham

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 03:05:02 PM

I've had two 'payments' from Slush's pool, but nothing has shown up in my Bitcoin application.  Yes - I restarted it.  What's going on?

Good question.  If this hasn't resolved itself (and of course your machine is hooked up to the internet and you've tested receiving bitcoins using the bitcoin faucet ).   Then perhaps you should contact the pool owner.

cvicisso (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 08:39:56 PM

Good question.  If this hasn't resolved itself (and of course your machine is hooked up to the internet and you've tested receiving bitcoins using the bitcoin faucet ).   Then perhaps you should contact the pool owner.

His reply:

"Hello, payouts were processed, so it is problem on client side. try to start bitcoin with 'bitcoin.exe -rescan'

slush"

cvicisso (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 08:41:22 PM

BTW (God I feel dumb on this forum) - what does he mean by "try to start bitcoin with 'bitcoin.exe -rescan'"  Huh  I'm a GUI guy.  Please help.
Jazkal

Activity: 319

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 08:51:47 PM

BTW (God I feel dumb on this forum) - what does he mean by "try to start bitcoin with 'bitcoin.exe -rescan'"  Huh  I'm a GUI guy.  Please help.
Bring up a run command (Start -> Run)

and type in this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Bitcoin\bitcoin.exe -rescan

if that doesn't work, try:

C:\Program Files\Bitcoin\bitcoin.exe -rescan

cvicisso (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 12:11:49 AM

Thanks!
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All