Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:33:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin donation fund idea  (Read 682 times)
superduh (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 01:45:04 AM

just an idea

i have no interest in being in charge of this so perhaps find someone who will want to organize that can be trusted

how about they set up an account for donations

what will these donations be used for

some ideas include giving all of it to an accredited institution of higher learning (university) that's first to be interested in accepting this donation under the terms of not being able to "cash out" for a minimum of a year

ok

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 01:56:26 AM

A public donation pool to be used toward charities would shine a good light on Bitcoin; considering it's deflationary, one could also display how much extra cash Bitcoin gained by just sitting around being Bitcoin.

It still wouldn't stop every BTC article to start with "Bitcoin, that one black market currency used to buy drugs and hookers,...", but it couldn't be a bad thing.

superduh (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 12:02:29 AM

ok. noone cared about it. all eyes were on the crash.
i'll go ahead and work on a donation fund idea. will create some requirements for who and how it will be claimed. this should do good for the community. will not collect any storage fees and hopefully someone will claim it soon enough

ok
blockbet.net

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Admin at blockbet.net

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 12:15:45 AM

I think it's a terrific idea and I'm disappointed not to see more replies, maybe people just missed this thread... Bitcoin is also considered tax-evader currency, so it would be very good to send a message that the Bitcoin community actually is willing to give money to good causes.

I've been thinking about setting up a Wikipedia fund. The idea is to collect bitcoins for Wikipedia in a public manner, the idea being that Wikipedia will get that money as soon as they start accepting bitcoins. What I want to say is "Hey Jimmy Wales, here's how much money you're missing out on for not accepting Bitcoin".

I probably don't have time (or rep) to follow through with this idea so please feel free to use it, should be good for other good causes as well.

Bitcoin Sports Betting online at www.blockbet.net, featuring NBA, NHL, UFC, football (soccer) and international competitions. Fast payouts directly to your wallet, great win odds, no need to register or deposit. Bet in just a few clicks now!
Mylon

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Mining FTW

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 12:16:53 AM

i'll go ahead and work on a donation fund idea. will create some requirements for who and how it will be claimed. this should do good for the community. will not collect any storage fees and hopefully someone will claim it soon enough
Go tell Charities about Bitcoin, its the only thing that will do any good.

I know for a fact that the internet archive has been accepting bitcoins as donations for a while now, so its possible, you just need to motivate the charities.

People won't be willing to give money to some random purpose, without a clear goal, you won't find anybody with interest.

"All Your Base Are Belong To Us" by CATS
Mylon

Mining FTW

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 12:19:57 AM

I think it's a terrific idea and I'm disappointed not to see more replies, maybe people just missed this thread... Bitcoin is also considered tax-evader currency, so it would be very good to send a message that the Bitcoin community actually is willing to give money to good causes.

I've been thinking about setting up a Wikipedia fund. The idea is to collect bitcoins for Wikipedia in a public manner, the idea being that Wikipedia will get that money as soon as they start accepting bitcoins. What I want to say is "Hey Jimmy Wales, here's how much money you're missing out on for not accepting Bitcoin".

I probably don't have time (or rep) to follow through with this idea so please feel free to use it, should be good for other good causes as well.
This might work, though still you would have to find somebody with a hell of a rep and willing to take the responsibility for accounts like this.

libertine

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 12:23:48 AM

on a more serious note my nephew has downs syndrome and my borther and his partner are part of the leeds downs syndrome support group i could always see if they could set up a BTC charitiy.
superduh (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 12:24:54 AM

Go tell Charities about Bitcoin, its the only thing that will do any good.

I know for a fact that the internet archive has been accepting bitcoins as donations for a while now, so its possible, you just need to motivate the charities.

People won't be willing to give money to some random purpose, without a clear goal, you won't find anybody with interest.

charities have no interest in learning about something unless they know for sure they will get donations! $10/month wouldn't be worth their time.

this is the reason why i think there should be a "pot" for the first University (those places should have smart people in them) - top 150 to lay claim to it.
there will be articles, press, happy university officials! trust me this is better than setting up an address for each place.

if you think people won't trust me. i nominate the forum admin to manage this fund. this will 100% help the bitcoin aura

ok
Mylon

Mining FTW

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 12:30:47 AM

Yea that ought to work, get a top 25 setup of achievements, and the moment a charity hits a goal, they get that percentage of the pot. Publicity should indeed be no problem if we manage the fill the pot a bit, and bitcoin keeps going up like it does. (Gox $109 ATM) Totally approve the idea of having the forum admin fund the pot. He should get a nice vanity address for it though, something like: 1BitcoinCharity1 etc....

edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 12:32:15 AM

It's being done: http://bitcoin100.org/

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=52543.msg627057

Still around.
libertine

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 12:34:55 AM

how about charities can sign up for free into a lottery style pot that could be drawn weekly monthly or yearly, could be done locally, nationally or internationally. many joe bloggs will hear of bitcoin this way. charitible bitcoiners could also club in together to pay for a tv or newspaper advert encouraging charities to sign up. what goes around comes around.
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 02:47:09 AM

just an idea

i have no interest in being in charge of this so perhaps find someone who will want to organize that can be trusted

how about they set up an account for donations

what will these donations be used for

some ideas include giving all of it to an accredited institution of higher learning (university) that's first to be interested in accepting this donation under the terms of not being able to "cash out" for a minimum of a year

The donations should only be given to organizations which agree to accept Bitcoin otherwise they don't deserve Bitcoin donations.

By the way, it's better to use stock than donate. Let people invest and make a profit if possible and more people will cough up Bitcoins but most people dont have enough Bitcoins to donate.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 03:33:46 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=52543.0 Bitcoin100

they already doing a charity drive to get charities to accept bitcoin

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: